Next film I plan to see

Re: Next film I plan to see

Post by ... »

I suggested a Corman poll once, but there weren't enough views of his movies to hold one, or it was so close to the minimum that it wasn't worth it. I can't remember which exactly.
rischka

Post by rischka »

that's a shame corman has some great films!!
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions

Post by ... »

I was surprised by how few of his movies had been seen, but then I grew up at a time in the US when they were played all the time, which didn't remain the case a few years later. Still, he does deserve a poll sometime, even if the results won't be as wide ranging as his filmography might allow.
rischka

Post by rischka »

1. the intruder
2. tomb of ligeia
3. teenage doll
4. the man with x ray eyes

then probably the more famous price poe films. haven't seen those in a long time. what would be your list? i've seen 11 and wanna make sure i didn't miss any gems

i wanna watch bloody mama sometime. also viking women and the sea serpent! and the she-gods of shark reef!~ :lol: or maybe this one

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Post by ... »

Man with the X-Ray Eyes is what I'd probably hold as the best Corman I've seen, but I really dug Tomb of Ligeia and The Raven was a favorite as a kid when it used to be played on TV all the time. The other Poe inspired films are all good, and his teen stuff is pretty nifty in a different kind of vein, so I don't know which I'd choose for sure since I like a number of them about the same, even his late Frankenstein Unbound, in it's own way. I haven't see The Intruder yet, and still have a bunch of his other non-horror movies to watch too.

This one has got to be my favorite poster from one of his movies, so it's particularly high on the watch list:

Though I've got to admit, the House of Usher poster is pretty sweet too. Might have to call it a tie between very different styles
Last edited by ... on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
flip

Post by flip »

greg x wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 am I suggested a Corman poll once, but there weren't enough views of his movies to hold one, or it was so close to the minimum that it wasn't worth it. I can't remember which exactly.
every time a director has met the thresholds, i've gone ahead with the poll, so he must not have had the views. but there's a chance, with changing membership and participation, that he'd work now - if you and rischka have both seen ten+, we'd just need one more person with that many views to go ahead. if someone else has seen a lot of corman, hopefully they can post here and then we'll know a corman poll will work in the future.

Post by ... »

Yeah, it was one of the times I offered a few options, and the replies were sparse on Corman so I think I swapped to Imamura or someone else rather than wait to see if there was enough to meet the threshold or not. It was, I think, possible Corman would have worked, but without much variety in replies.
rischka

Post by rischka »

anyway i wouldn't include the wild angels. i do give credit for capturing the racism/sexism somewhat accurately. most disturbing was diane ladd apologizing to her boyfriend for getting raped several times. at his funeral

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

rischka wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:29 pm
were motorcycle gangs the original alt-right :shock: that almost makes sense
yes, probably they were. At least at the late 60s, judging by all those films.
I've seen like two dozen, and usually all gang members seem to be unbearable fascist assholes.
The films are usually excellent, though.
Haven't seen any by Corman, I believe, and I don't like Easy Rider (which seems uncharacteristic for the genre anyway)

PS: Seen 8 by Corman
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
rischka

Post by rischka »

Yeah I don't like easy rider much either. Its a much more sympathetic portrait using bikers as a stand in for hippies.

What nonsense :p

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

It's been 40 years since I saw it, butI don't remember the characters in Easy Rider as being presented as bikers; they were hippies who rode motorcycles. If bikers, what was the name of their gang, what did they have in their backstory to indicate they rode with a pack?
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

They were moving a lot of cocaine for somebody. But you could be right. I haven't seen it in years either

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

Yeah, in Easy Rider they were hippies on bikes. Almost all of the other movies are about bikers and (their) gangs. And those are certainly no peace loving folks but usually misogynist pigs of the worst kind.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
rischka

Post by rischka »

while we're discussing biker movies has anyone seen the loveless?? willem dafoe's first screen role :O

also i was reading how tarantino's latest is somewhat of an anti-easy rider. there's even a scene where dicaprio wears dennis hopper's outfit

Last edited by rischka on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

watching baahubali: the beginning! there's a decent looking version on youtube with good subs. TY YT cuz the one i downloaded didn't have any

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

I watched The Loveless last year and I already can't remember anything about it. Hope this helps lol.
pabs

Post by pabs »

I started watching Interview with the Vampire (Jordan, 1994) and stopped halfway through. Tom Cruise's awful over-acting, especially, drives me nuts, while Brad Pitt's is almost as irritating. I don't know if I'll finish it tonight. Being a completist, I prob will. :?
rischka

Post by rischka »

on the strength of the uncut gems trailer i've acquired the safdie's good time

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

NASHVILLE at Film Forum, some new restoration or something. Long overdue for a revisit.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
---
Site Admin

Post by --- »

rischka wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 pm on the strength of the uncut gems trailer i've acquired the safdie's good time
the movie is interesting for many reasons, but definitely most interesting for the fact that trash rapper necro appears in it. srsly?! necro?!?!?!
---
Site Admin

Post by --- »

when i say trash rapper i mean both that his style is trashy and he's trash at it. just an overall trash person. but actually a decent actor when typecasted
wba

Post by wba »

just started watching (only 2 minutes in, then life interfered...) a delightful looking recent big-budget Danish film with Ulrich Thomsen in the lead about the danish soccer team's win of the 1992 European Championship - something no one would have dared to imagine before it actually happened, and an event so astonishing, it can probably only be compared to the Greeks winning the European Championship in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0uDZxyhaJ4
rischka

Post by rischka »

watching the breaking bad movie bitches! and it's hilarious as ever

i'm glad we get to know what happens to jesse. he was the only character with a soul

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

there's a breaking bad movie? i only ever find out about new movies now at 30 mph swoosh-side on a bus.

eh. after some judicious & fateful louis le prince ratings i'd missed, i'm up to 4999 on letterboxd before i even realised it. therefore here comes OUT 1, and i disappear
rischka

Post by rischka »

there's a breaking bad movie?
it's on netflix

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

TOKYO OLYMPIAD on the Big Screen at Museum of the Moving Image.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i'm gonna watch sicilia! and then costa's film about straub/huillet editing sicilia!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

THE IRISHMAN tomorrow.
wba

Post by wba »

gonna finish this new film called SERENITY from some guy named Knight today. Watched one hour yesterday, and it was fantastic! (although I was hoping for some magic and witches and a fantasy crossover instead of the computer-game-stuff, which is still fine, I guess)
wba

Post by wba »

witchka wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 pm watching the breaking bad movie bitches! and it's hilarious as ever

i'm glad we get to know what happens to jesse. he was the only character with a soul
I though Breaking Bad sucked (big time!). None of the characters were remotely interesting or had a soul.
It might've been a funny sitcom though, If they had chosen to pursue the road laid out in the first 2 episodes (two incompetent idiots getting high and cooking meth in a trailer).