1983 Poll 2.0

rischka

Re: 1983 Poll 2.0

Post by rischka »

so many political films! this is a heavy allegory about dehumanization by an iranian director based on a greek novel that became prophetic when 'the colonels' staged a coup there in 1967. it's pretty suspenseful if (a bit) predictable and staged in an interesting way with flashbacks and internal monologues as an interrogation/road trip. and i became it's first check on icheckmovies :D esp enjoyed a dreamy sequence where investigator and suspect visit an amusement park at the beach

the weak point (based on a novel called the flaw) d. mohamad reza aalami
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

pauline and her cousin are very cute but this gross old guy no :pirates: guess we can't all be as sophisticated as french people

ok i might put it in anyway, we shall see

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Angel

Post by Angel »

Unranked ballot:
Balkan ekspres (Balkan Express)
Cheng nan jiu shi (My Memories of Old Beijing)
Coup de foudre (Entre Nous)
Da qiao xia mian (Under the Bridge)
Eine Liebe in Deutschland (A Love in Germany)
El Norte
Gyoei no mure (The Catch)
Hai tan de yi tian (That Day, on the Beach)
I paladini - Storia d'armi e d'amori (Hearts and Armour)
Karnal (Of the Flesh)
Le ruffian (The Ruffian)
Local Hero
Never Cry Wolf
No habrá más penas ni olvido (Funny Dirty Little War)
Olivia
Pauline à la plage (Pauline at the Beach)
Risky Business
Rue cases nègres (Sugar Cane Alley)
The Right Stuff
Under Fire

Deliberately excluded (IMDb/Lbxd/TSPDT/S&S top 500):
A Christmas Story
À nos amours
Born in Flames
El harrif
El sur
L'argent
Nostalghia
Sagara Sangamam
Sans soleil
Scarface
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Videodrome

To see before the deadline:
Två killar och en tjej
You ma cai zi

Wanted:
Sargento Getúlio
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

rischka wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:45 am gross
I watched this yesterday too, and I wasn't real keen on it either -- after awhile I was thinking "If it were a Chabrol, at least I'd have the pleasure of seeing some of these people DIE..."

Extra-annoyed with a shot starting at 34:23, where he blocks/frames Pauline like she was a supporting character in her own movie. But it's not so flagrant that I can make any assumptions about his intention; it was probably just his default setting for a moment like that... which is bad enough, but not a thing for me to get worked up over.
3 pu.JPG
3 pu.JPG (70.96 KiB) Viewed 790 times
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
lineuphere

Post by lineuphere »

rischka wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:45 am
pauline and her cousin are very cute but this gross old guy no :pirates: guess we can't all be as sophisticated as french people
I'm not French, but it makes total sense to me why the cousin goes for "gross old guy," Féodor Atkine.
:hearteyes:

Do not make me walk the plank.
rischka

Post by rischka »

when he creeped on the 15 yr old while she was sleeping i nearly turned it off

but i'm not scolding people for liking it, i'm just in a bad mood

i love rohmer mostly :(

ANTIFA 4-EVA

lineuphere

Post by lineuphere »

Yeah, that was a skeevy. :oops:
Rohmer's stuff is chockful of seemingly uncomplicated people making questionable choices. I've come to accept that I'm prolly gonna cringe a few times watching his work.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Really happy to see Pauline at the Beach cause some debate, I absolutely adore it, though I think it is important to see it in the context of the Comedies and Proverbs cycle, as it is the 3rd film and adds some really exciting changes to the formula developed in The Aviator's Wife and A Good Marriage.

Here's some of my notes from when I was preparing for a podcast episode on the cycle:
Pauline at the Beach is the one film in the Comedies and Proverbs cycle that really feels similar to the Moral Tales, and could easily be described as Claire's Knee and The Collector rolled into one. It had the voyeurism of Claire's Knee, with the completely cold, spiteful and misanthropic sensibilities of The Collector.

I see some similarities to the previous films, though first and foremost The Aviator's Wife, as it has a clear 3 act structure that in one way mimics Aviator:

1. Set-up
2. Sleuthing
3. Confrontation

Pierre is really an older Francois, still obsessed with his first love(?) despite not having seen her in 5 years - but this time he is not the main character (perhaps only for act 2).

The confrontation is interesting here, as Marion is not part of it, instead we get the identical scene that played out in both Avatior and Marriage - but this time, at first, with 4 characters instead of two - and with the same premise of one character actively wishing to leave and going for the door while being brought back in. It is really interesting that each of them are ended in this way.

Reading these events as a series (film to film) this is interesting as the connection in this film is thus genuinely Pauline vs. Henri - the youngest and oldest, and arguably the most innocent/inexperienced vs. the most, erm (...). It could be read as a young woman/girl facing a reality of men - or any similar situation - but of course, none of this really has anything to do with the proverb (but is the proverb always the main thing in these films? As Rohmer himself said, all proverbs are simultaneously true and false).

So, in terms of the proverb, this is a theme that changes slightly over the film. At first we may interpret the dreams/philosophies of love espoused as our 4 characters first sit down, or even before this - but it quickly takes another form at the end of the first act/beginning of the second, where the event (Henri cheating on Marion and covering it up with Sylvain occurs), and the events this sets in motion.

What we see is essentially the stories passing from person to person, with varying consequences/humorous results and sleuthing. However, the interesting thing is that we are left with the question of whether or not anyone's tongue actually got "bit", and the severity of it - and the film closes with an interesting conclusion by Marion, namely that Pauline can believe Henri slept with Louisette, and that she (Marion) can believe Sylvain did - that way neither of them get hurt ...

And one question here is if they already are, especially Marion (as Pauline at this point knows the truth, but is also the person wishing to go home) - and what this new proposal, a clear lie for both of them will help.

It is hard to say what the actual lesson here is (if there is one) or what we are to take away from it.

I would also like to focus on the form here. This is by far Rohmer's most stilted film so far (this series), and the acting is even far more minimal than before. Rohmer wanted to separate himself from Bresson and his statues - yet he shoots Marion as if she was one, Henri even calls her a "statue", and Pierre really has the loathsome, miserable look we can spot in almost any Bresson film from the mid-50s and onwards.

In fact the entire film, especially the first two acts feels crass and spiteful. The way he shoots nudity feels almost brutal. It is heavily sexualized, but in a way that really seems to hate what it is seeing (again, a return to dead statues). Henri genuinely feels like the worst of Rohmer's characters from the Moral Tales, but he is older, balding and even more unappealing/off-putting.

Two other minor notes:

1. Marion could be seen as tied to Sabine in a way - i.e. she is looking for her one true love, has an impression in her mind of how she should find it, and is simply greatly mistaken. Also, while the metrics are very different, Henri at the end gives the very crass analysis that one of the reasons he is not interested in Marion is because she "threw herself at him and he didn't have the time to desire her".

1.5. Slight callback to the beginning when Marion says her husband tricked her into believing she was inlove with him - now she is essentially trying to trick Henri (she admits towards the end of act 2 that she knows she is the one in love with him, and less so for him, but she thinks she can convince him.

2. What the hell is up with the women in this cycle telling adult men to go for teenage girls ... Seriously?

*Oh, and minor note: When Pauline meets Sylvain for the first time he instantly tells her he as a girlfriend at home, doesn't bother her at all - and they are almost instantly in bed. Perhaps the entire film is meant to be a grotesque portrayal of summer flings?
Oh, and if anyone's interested, here's the podcast episode(s) :

Comedies and Proverbs, part 1: https://open.spotify.com/episode/46TIG6wBbGxqfaBHSIVOHd
Comedies and Proverbs, part 2: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5ttMKrLoLgX3WUScbEQSHr
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CLOSED CIRCUIT (Rudolf Thome, 1983)
also viz → https://scfzforum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 056#p43056
Computer operator Faber works on securing computers for big companies and banks.
His private life is rather dull until he meets a strange women, Juliet and falls in love.
La femme qui pleure (Jacques Doillon, 1979) → https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077542/
Her friend convinces Faber to exploit his knowledge to rob a bank.
“You're a closed circuit, baby,” chants American avant-garde musician Laurie Anderson,

who appears as a Greek chorus throughout this low-key thriller
(btw., ↓← Hartmut Bitomsky)
rischka

Post by rischka »

St. Gloede wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:27 pm Really happy to see Pauline at the Beach cause some debate, I absolutely adore it, though I think it is important to see it in the context of the Comedies and Proverbs cycle, as it is the 3rd film and adds some really exciting changes to the formula developed in The Aviator's Wife and A Good Marriage.

ok interesting - i have never attempted to watch them in any organized fashion. The aviator's wife is one of my very favorite rohmers and it's good to get a perspective on that. i have watched them very randomly over years and it might be time to 'organize' a re-watch of some of these as i do think rohmer is great and there's always more there

i really liked this at first, ♥ pauline esp, but the others well, like lencho, i wanted some of them to die :? so thx for the input. and the podcast!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

“You're a closed circuit, baby,” chants American avant-garde musician Laurie Anderson,

who appears as a Greek chorus throughout this low-key thriller
(btw., ↓← Hartmut Bitomsky)

wait what :shock: i need to see this now

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

:D I find that chick in the green ray really annoying too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

rischka wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:58 pm
St. Gloede wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:27 pm Really happy to see Pauline at the Beach cause some debate, I absolutely adore it, though I think it is important to see it in the context of the Comedies and Proverbs cycle, as it is the 3rd film and adds some really exciting changes to the formula developed in The Aviator's Wife and A Good Marriage.

ok interesting - i have never attempted to watch them in any organized fashion. The aviator's wife is one of my very favorite rohmers and it's good to get a perspective on that. i have watched them very randomly over years and it might be time to 'organize' a re-watch of some of these as i do think rohmer is great and there's always more there

i really liked this at first, ♥ pauline esp, but the others well, like lencho, i wanted some of them to die :? so thx for the input. and the podcast!
The way I personally interpret the cycle is as a dialectic of love/the relationship between men and women. That may or may not be exactly what Rohmer intended, but what he is on record as saying is that the films in his cycles are set up to the the antithesis to the previous.

This is most overtly clear in The Aviator's Wife and A Good Marriage, which follows a young man and woman respectively, both obsessed with love. In the former, it is in a faltering relationship, in the latter, the wooing and kindling of a potential relationship. What is most noticeable between thrm is that they have the same climax:

I'd like to point out 3 similarities/callbacks between these two films, that are quite fascinating:

Our male and female lead are shut in an intimate room, at first for what seems to be a short encounter, but consistant attempts at leaving/ending the conversation fails as they go deeper and deeper into an analysis of their relationship (while also maintaining many pretences). (Note: In the Aviatopr's Wife this scene is approximately 20-25m in A Good Mariage it is approximately 10m)

Another instantly noticeable similarity is the usage of trains. In The Aviator's Wife there was a central focus on train stations, both opening and closing on train stations and specifically wanting the audience to feel the walk from one to the other - yet Francois never gets on a train. In A Good Marriage we see Sabine travelling by train, but we never see her get off or on at a train station. This sets up trains as a metaphor throughout the cycle and says something about our characters. My interpretation is how it shows that François can never even get on the train, ie find direction, while Sabine's laser focus on marriage leaves her similarly trapped.

Another key element that is easy to miss is that each of these two films are circular, starting and ending the same way/same location, and this also the case for the next two films in the cycle.

Pauline at the Beach has the same climax as well, but as referenced above, with 3 men, and all in one extended scene. In terms of the train metaphor, her cousin takes a train off screen and similarly is left clueless of all that happens. This is the film where the train metaphor is the weakest.

In Full Moon in Paris it is similarly easy to miss the train, but it is the very first shot as we pan towards Louise's appartment a train drives towards it at a distance. During the pan at the end we see there is no train in sight. The simplest metaphor of losing one's train, but the climax, while the same is handled differently. Like in Pauline it is in 3s, but with individual/separated scenes, 1 for each of the two men in her life, as well as, interestingly, one with a stranger, that is arguably about herself.

This sets up The Green Ray, which in many ways is a response to each of the previous films (I can get into this in more detail if people are interested) but to me acts as a key. Here we see Delphine both waiting for her train and riding the train, and interestingly and to me importantly, it is the first film in the cycle that is not circular. It ends in a completely different location and rather than having a climax where a relationship disintegrates the climax/ending is the possibility of a relationship and forming connections.

The final film, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend then feels like the synthesis. In terms of trains we never see our protagonists on them but rather at the stations, leaving and arriving at their destinations. The film is not circular, and it does not share the climax of the four first, nor the potential hope of The Green Ray, rather it shows each of our characters abandoning the relationship that was not working and choosing the relationship that works, solving the issues our previous protagonists could not and ending on a note of harmony.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

the makioka sisters (kon ichikawa)
sleepaway camp (robert hiltzik)
smorgasbord (jerry lewis)

angst (gerald kargl)
the deadly spawn (douglas mckeown)
mandi (shyam benegal)

l'argent (robert bresson)
meantime (mike leigh)
el sur (victor erice)

a nos amours (maurice pialat)
christine (carp)
videodrome (david cronenberg)

brainstorm (douglas trumbull)
class (lewis john carlino)
eureka (nicolas roeg)
rischka

Post by rischka »

loving sunset blvd directed by suzuki vibe of lady cat monster. the music! thx lencho i love it ♥ it's a made for tv movie but it's going in my list

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

From the left-overs of the films Henri Plaat made during his many travels, he made this film as an improvisation on detoriation and decay.
A world of time passed and nostalgia.

https://youtu.be/t3UsIwu8Frs
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Some quick thoughts on the 1983 films I have been watching lately:

I watched a rather exciting American indie double feature yesterday in the form of Bless Their Little Hearts (Bill Woodberry) and Last Night at the Alamo (Eagle Pennell), both notable for their lo-fi black and white aesthetics and focus on rather down and out characters in fairly different settings.

Bless Their Little Hearts is set in a black neighbourhood in Watts, Los Angeles, and follows a family where the father is out of work, taking day jobs when he can, while his wife has the sole steady income, both of thrm clearly exhausted and miserable, while Last Night at the Alamo is set in a bar in Austen as we follow the mainly white, often loud, obnoxious and drunk patrons build themselves up only to fall flat.

Both films tap into the self-image of American men and their need to escape their rather alienated existence, socially, economically and even on the home front. The cinematography and naturalism, as well as slightly rough sound design are clear points of comparison as well, and to an extent thry share a DNA.

Bless Their Little Hearts was the better of the two in my mind, mainly elevated to greatness from the punch in the gut of a scene where our two leads finally have it out, with the wife in the end simply repeated "I'm tired" over and over again, with incredible earnestness and helplessness to the point that the husband just can't stand his defense anymore. The film as a whole is packed with devastation, and offer no hope in sight, but managed to paint a very powerful picture.

Last Night at the Alamo leans more into black comedy, and does not have the same punches, but still reveals something truly pathetic and deve stating below the surface of its characters, who I suspect would cover a decent number of real characters you'd expect to find in a Texas bar in the 80s, and with that a similar dose of existentialism of a lack of power and direction in America.

Le bal (Ettore Scola)

This is a film I have been meaning to see for years and it is truly unique: Not a single line of dialogue, the emotion of decades of history within a dance hall conveyed through the dance floor. Gestures, moves, flirtations. A lyrical film, well choreographed and thought out as our actors take on multiple roles through the ages. In the end this did not become a favourite as it ended up feeling more quaint than powerful or spellbinding. While the choreography itself is great, and the setting has so much atmosphere, the camerawork was only solid and left so much room for improvement. Meanwhile the facial gestures could often just be too silly, and the film ended up feeling a little slim despite its ambitions. Honestly, this is one concept I would like to see reimagined by a more visual director.

Cheng nan jiu shi / My Memories of Old Beijing (Yigong Wu)

I did not care for My Memories of Old Beijing unfortunately. While perfectly competent, the melodramatic stories felt obvious and just a bit too over the top/simple in their delivery, trying too hard to hit emotions with not enough earnestness or investment built up on my part.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i like the 80s look and early computer theme! and the music! also bruno ganz is way hotter than henri (feodor atkine) 8-)

i started learning german on duolingo and i understood like 1/3 more dialogue (counting the words that sound the same in english :P )

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

THE STORE (Frederick Wiseman, 1983)
also viz → https://scfzforum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 081#p43081

an anthology/store of luxury dadaist poems/sketches
(selected with utmost care for the demanding viewer)

the one below ↓↓ is NOT ONLY good, or lovely, or gorgeous...

BUT smashing!
Listen, I was gonna bring you up to date on the things.
I’ve got the tea,
I have the fruit cakes,
I’ll have the Irish whisky cake,
I have the brandied peaches,
I have the photo album.
No cloisonne pots.
The carafes, I have the blue and the green.
No shoe horn.
Well, I’am going to see if I can’t get one
of the other stores to send ’em
and I’ll have to get back with you on that.
I have the belt,
have the yellow bow tie,
do not have the silver ball as of now
but I’m gonna work on that too,
have the storage strong box,
have the harmonica.
I don’t have the grape picture
but I do have the apple.
Don’t have the Irish mugs
but I’ll have ’em.
The reindeer is a no.
But a surprise, I do have the angel.

moreover, it offers SIMPLE TIPS & HACKS that are really useful

and despite focusing on the world of commerce, it's not devoid of an ENVIRONMENTAL PERSPECTIVE
rischka

Post by rischka »

ok i'll get to it! meanwhile i have a polish werewolf movie to watch 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

one of my persistent regrets is managing to miss multiple screenings of the store in the last 10 years...

finally managed to catch up with obayashi's the little girl who conquered time. i think this one is relatively popular but not all that well liked by the obayashi super-fans?

but i kind of loved it. there is a lot of the melancholy, hometown quality that characterized i are you, you am me (also shot in obayashi's down on its luck hometown of onomichi, though he points out in an interview included on the blu ray that here the architecture is even more old fashioned), and a feeling of...not even nostalgia, but loss or belatedness permeates the whole thing.

and to say how that ties into the plot is to probably spoil more than i should...but i will say i found the sci-fi angle very odd and kind of unexpected, but it somehow worked for me very well. probably not major obayashi but who knows, i like the minor movies...
rischka

Post by rischka »

rischka wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:57 am ok i'll get to it! meanwhile i have a polish werewolf movie to watch 8-)

sadly, this was mainly about how women who like sex are evil :| same old patriarchal bullshit forever and ever amen. NOT in the mood

ANTIFA 4-EVA

lineuphere

Post by lineuphere »

rischka wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:17 am
also bruno ganz is way hotter than henri (feodor atkine) 8-)
:lol:
sally

Post by sally »

rischka wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:58 pm
rischka wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:57 am ok i'll get to it! meanwhile i have a polish werewolf movie to watch 8-)
sadly, this was mainly about how women who like sex are evil :| same old patriarchal bullshit forever and ever amen. NOT in the mood
i came to same conclusion, although i hardly remember it now :)

https://scfzforum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... rak#p38619
rischka

Post by rischka »

sally wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:07 pm
rischka wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:58 pm
i came to same conclusion, although i hardly remember it now :)

https://scfzforum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... rak#p38619
:lol: if only we would behave! yeah the effects were pretty bad too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

hoping to squeeze a couple in before the deadline, but for now:

rumble fish (coppola)
the meaning of life (jones)
sans soleil (marker)
el sur (erice)
moznosti dialogu (svankmajer)

a nos amours (pialat)
dans la ville blanche (tanner)
local hero (forsyth)
the boxer's omen (kuei)
entre nous (kurys)

trading places (landis)
padal proshlogodniy sneg (tatarskiy)
the return of the jedi (marquand)
educating rita (gilbert)
de vierde man (verhoeven)

pauline sur la plage (rohmer)
videodrome (cronenberg)
risky business (brickman)
la ville des pirates (ruiz)
valley girl (coolidge)
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

watched merry christmas, mr. lawrence, and i didn't get it. i mean, i get it, but i don't really get it, ya know? like i don't get the point. i mean, i get the point, but i don't really get the point, ya know? like there's stuff that happens, but nothing really happens... and like there's subtext, but the subtext doesn't really say anything... and like there's a narrative, but it doesn't really go anywhere. so, like, what's it even supposed to be about? like i know what it's supposed to be about, but... ya know? what's it even supposed to be, like, in general? like it's fine. it's not bad or anything, but it's also not really very good. it's kinda cool, ya know. david bowie. japanese movie. fun title. but like, that's it. i just don't get it, even tho i get it, i just don't get it
rischka

Post by rischka »

same ^^ watched for bowie and beat takeshi, otherwise meh. expected more from oshima

i didn't realize ryuichi sakamoto was in the film til his recent death. RIP

always felt like it was a prestige project geared toward an international audience, not taking too many chances if you want wide distribution

but it's been a long time since i've seen it

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

MAGAZINE MOUTH (Anne Charlotte Robertson, 1983)
https://archive.org/details/magazine.mouth
rischka

Post by rischka »

The store is giving me surreal mall flashbacks

ANTIFA 4-EVA