Directed by Actors Challenge

Silga

Post by Silga »

During 2023 I plan to focus on films directed by actors.

I run this on ICM, but I have decided to invite anyone here on SCFZ as well to share opinions, experiences and impressions of watching films directed by those who are primarily known as actors. Of course, there are questionable examples where it is difficult to decide whether a certain person is more of an actor or a director, so I leave this decision upon anyone who takes part in this challenge.

When actors step behind the camera the results are as varying as one could expect. Some great films were directed by actors and some are better left on the shelf and forgotten. Or should they?

Co-directing credits are allowed.

Duration - All of 2023

Links:

My own watchlist: https://letterboxd.com/silga/list/actor ... rs/detail/

Extensive list by letterboxd user wmavity: https://letterboxd.com/wmavity/list/whe ... ct/detail/ (can't say I agree with it 100%)

I will try to come up with other helpful lists and links.

Have a great year of 2023, Everyone!
Last edited by Silga on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silga

Re: Directed by Actors Challenge

Post by Silga »

1. Escanaba in da Moonlight (Jeff Daniels, 2001) 6/10

It's an open season in Upper Peninsula and men from Soady family gather in a camp for the opening day of deer hunting.

Based on Jeff Daniels' play of the same name, this film is a mess technically and tonally. Nevertheless, it provides a non-stop laughs and instantly quotable lines. I imagine that it would be even funnier if I had more (or any) knowledge of Yooper/Michigan culture and traditions. I'm not a hunter either, but I used to go to fishing trips with my dad and his friends, therefore some jokes are still close to home and fairly familiar. There's also a supernatural element in the film that is more of a mythological gimmick and not a central piece of the story.

2. A Smoky Mountain Christmas (Henry Winkler, 1986) 5/10

A weird mixture of genres and styles. A TV movie, Christmas fairy tale, Dolly Parton musical special all at once. A twist on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs with a touch of little town Christmas-time magic, evil witch and Lee Majors as Mountain Dan. Loved Dan Hedaya's paparazzi character.

wba

Post by wba »

I've seen a lot of films by actors (no wonder, as many actors were also directors) and I generally enjoy them a lot, cause they seem to be better directors on average than filmmakers who are/were not actors.
Also: actors frequently direct the best acted films, by which I mean that usually actors acting in an actor-directorss movie tend to be even better.

I love the work of numerous actor-directors and a list of them would be way too long.
Not planning to watch anything particular by any for 2023, but I'm sure to encounter those films frequently.

So far, I've watched 2 films in 2023, one of them directed by actor-director Curd Jürgens (he made some 6 or 7 films as director between 1949 and 1979, as well as a TV series - as far as I know; see Imdb for more information (though it's notoriously incomplete when it comes to filmographies: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0432007/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1), called CURD JÜRGENS: BONN, WIE ICH ES SEHE (1979), a documentary about the West German capital Bonn, which was outstanding! I'd urge anyone to watch it on Youtube, but it doesn't have any subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKw3IYGjz1Y

I've also seen another film by Jürgens from the late 1950s which was developed as a project for and by Wolfgang Staudte, but then the producer disagreed with the direction the script was going in, and Jürgens was called upon to change the script and direct the film instead (as he was already attached to the project as the main protagonist).
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Silga

Post by Silga »

Thanks for the recommendation, WBA! I know Curd Jürgens as an actor and this documentary sounds interesting as I know very little about Bonn.

As for other German language films, I also have Maximilian Schell's directorial filmography in my watchlist for this challenge.
wba

Post by wba »

There's a lot of German language directors who started as actors!
Some famous names would be: Ernst Lubitsch, Luis Trenker, Veit Harlan, Angela Schanelec, Dominik Graf, Helmut Käutner, Margarethe von Trotta, Sebastian Schipper, etc.

And some examples of German language directors primarily known as actors:

Reinhold Schünzel (personal favorite as director)
Kurt Gerron
Heinrich George
Willi Forst
Theo Lingen
Volker von Collande (personal favorite as director)
Heinz Rühmann (personal favorite as director)
Gustav Fröhlich
Richard Häussler
Kurt Meisel (personal favorite as director)
Hans Quest (personal favorite as director)
Erik Ode
Axel von Ambesser
Rudolf Schündler
Bernhard Wicki
Roger Fritz (personal favorite as director)
Adrian Hoven (personal favorite as director)
Peter Weck
Rolf Olsen (personal favorite as director)
Ulli Lommel (personal favorite as director)
Hark Bohm
Otto Waalkes
Otto W. Retzer
RP Kahl
Til Schweiger
Justus von Dohnányi
Matthias Schweighöfer
Nicolette Krebitz
Michael Herbig
Maria Schrader
Karoline Herfurth
Moritz Bleibtreu
Daniel Brühl
Florian David FItz
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Silga

Post by Silga »

Wow, thanks a bunch, WBA. That's an informative database moving forward. I'm familiar with some of these names, but most are new to me. Plenty to discover!
Silga

Post by Silga »

3. Idaho Transfer (Peter Fonda, 1973) 2/10

An aimless, lousy attempt to portray some kind of environmental message. A waste of time, especially considering that two years earlier Peter Fonda directed a very good western The Hired Hand. Idaho Transfer is better left forgotten. I will try to watch his third directorial effort Wanda Nevada this year as well.

4. Slipstream (Anthony Hopkins, 2007) 7/10

This is a crazy and unique movie. A masterful and brave work from Hopkins. Independent production and it feels in terms of daring creative decisions. Ridiculously fast-paced editing and almost non-stop dialogues fuel this wild ride. Plenty of great performances by a solid cast: Anthony Hopkins, Christian Slater, John Turturro, Jeffrey Tambor, Fionnula Flanagan, Michael Clarke Duncan and even Kevin McCarthy makes a cameo as himself. Some breathtakingly beautiful shots and scenery by the great cinematographer Dante Spinotti.

Silga

Post by Silga »

5. Vice Versa (Peter Ustinov, 1948) 7/10

A jolly good time with this body swap movie. I prefer it to Freaky Friday or many other films of this kind. A real joy to listen to the dialogues of old posh English language. Roger Livesey is one of the great actors I have discovered lately. Loved his performance alongside Laurence Olivier in The Entertainer and now in Vice Versa he was equally brilliant.

I haven't seen the 1988 remake, so cannot compare the two.

6. TekWar (William Shatner, 1994) 3/10

Everything in this travesty of a film looks cheap and fake. And yet, it is also unintentionally funny. It makes me sentimental about the computer age of the early 90s. The entire film plays like a choppy screensaver from Windows '95.

Lynch

Post by Lynch »

Hello,

Indeed, there are a lot of names I didn't know yet. Thank you for sharing these details.
Silga

Post by Silga »

7. The Legend of Bagger Vance (Robert Redford, 2000) 8/10

Robert Redford crafted a tender and sentimental story about redemption, passion and determination during the times of Great Depression and war veterans coping with PTSD. A great cast, led by Matt Damon, Charlize Theron and very affable Will Smith. Beautifully photographed by Michael Ballhaus. As a Jack Lemmon fan, I was touched to see his last film appearance and the final scene is truly symbolic and serene.

8. Ghost Dad (Sidney Poitier, 1990) 4/10

Well, it wasn't as terrible as I expected. Of course, most of it doesn't work and Cosby's acting is atrocious, but there are still moments where both the writing and, more importantly, what remains unsaid in-between the lines, work as a commentary on workplace ethics, expectations and single parenthood. Not much about racial issues, since the script was written for Steve Martin, before he and director John Badham departed the project.
Silga

Post by Silga »

9. Lost River (Ryan Gosling, 2014) 4/10

A mildly unsuccessful debut from Gosling. It's evident from what directors he drew inspiration from, but troubles in the script continued during the editing and the final result is rather disappointing. Some beautiful visuals though.

10. Human Highway (Dean Stockwell, Neil Young, 1982) 7/10

What a wild ride it was! A nuclear comedy! In the first half I kept pausing and pausing just to soak in every crazy moment and detail that sprung from the minds of Stockwell and Young. Devo's songs are fun and Dennis Hopper plays not one, but two hyperbolic characters. This certainly feels like a mixture of styles from John Waters, Tim Burton, David Lynch and the like. Great Bluray restoration too. I will definitely watch it again someday.

A great rendition of Worried Man Blues by DEVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDLlfOfiOw
Silga

Post by Silga »

11. What Is It? (Crispin Glover, 2005) 1/10

A despicable, exploitative attempt of a film. It doesn't help people with Down Syndrome, it doesn't shine a light on anything significant. It merely creates a space for Glover to work out his own fetishes and fantasies while denigrating both people and animals. Disgusting really. Not sure why anyone thought that it's OK to invite him to schools and colleges to present this trash in live events.

12. Matilda (Danny DeVito, 1996) 8/10

A joyous tale filled with curiosity and wisdom. Danny DeVito is a great director and has proven so in various films, but in Matilda he truly commits to the wonderful opportunities of Roald Dahl's story and lets his characters run free and be brave with their extravagance and quirkiness. Mara Wilson is a true star, a young lady with assured charisma and a natural talent.
Silga

Post by Silga »

13. Charlie's Ghost Story (Anthony Edwards, 1995) 6/10

What an unexpected surprise. Based on a lesser known story from Mark Twain, it's a simple, yet very honest and sincere film for kids that is just as entertaining for adults thanks to the great performance by the one and only Cheech Marin who infuses ghost's character with his trademark sly humor and a cheeky smirk.

14. Light of My Life (Casey Affleck, 2019) 7/10

While rightfully compared to The Road (2009), this Casey Affleck's directed film can proudly stand on its own. I particularly liked the tone and rhythm of the story, how it showed respect to main characters without satirizing or exploiting boring clichés from dystopian dramas. Very good performance by the young actress Anna Pniowsky.
Silga

Post by Silga »

15. Rainbow (Bob Hoskins, 1995) 3/10

Cheap and lazy story for kids with a touch of The Wizard of Oz that turns into a rather dark and weird third act with no payoff. A fun cameo by Dan Aykroyd though. On the contrary, Saul Rubinek spends the entire film just staring into oblivion.

16. Unicorn Store (Brie Larson, 2017) 6/10

A more positive outcome than I anticipated. Brie Larson walks a well-worn path with predictable narrative about woman in her late 20s/early 30s who's stuck in her late coming-of-age life discoveries reminiscent of films like Young Adult and Laggies. Unicorn Store also features a small role by Samuel L. Jackson who wears colorful suits and talks loudly. On a downside, the parents, as portrayed by Joan Cusack and Bradley Whitford, were too much of a caricatures.

Silga

Post by Silga »

17. The Tin Soldier (Jon Voight, Gregory Gieras, 1995) 2/10

Why did they do this to such a beautiful, eternal story by Hans Christian Andersen? Jon Voight accent is all over the place and his sense of directing a coherent movie is clearly missing and maybe that's why a co-director was employed. Trenton Knight is a very capable child actor who was much better in another film I saw recently - Charlie's Ghost Story.

18. The Red Sneakers (Gregory Hines, 2002) 4/10

A poor man's Like Mike. Released in the same year, this one deservedly fell into obscurity and isn't mentioned among the best basketball movies. Gregory Hines makes a sincere attempt to, at least, deliver a well-meaning message of importance to study hard, respect your teammates and friends. However, the film is severely 'injured' by ridiculously bad acting, including a manic turn by Vincent D'Onofrio who was literally talking gibberish the entire film.
Silga

Post by Silga »

19. Oh, God! (Carl Reiner, 1977) 7/10 (rewatch)

Not sure if I should count Carl Reiner as an actor who also directed films and TV shows or was he more of a show-runner and director + an occasional actor?

I will allow him this once, simply because I want to share my admiration for this sweet sweet film. I've seen Oh, God! when I was a kid, along with its second sequel Oh, God! You Devil. So it holds a special place and gives me nostalgic feelings. Featuring a comedy legend George Burns and a popular musician John Denver this is a great story about a guy who was chosen by God to spread a message about his existence and a call to be optimistic about the future. This film plays great with both satirizing the overly prudent religious zealots and fake prophets and also calls for respect of one's beliefs. All around, a beautifully directed old style comedy that's worthy of repeat viewings, if only for that warm smile of George Burns. I still need to watch the first sequel Oh, God! Book II.

20. Panic In Year Zero! (Ray Milland, 1962) 5/10

Roger Corman once said about the making of this film: "Ray Milland wasn't organized enough to act and direct at the same time". I kind of agree with Corman here. Milland directed plenty of films and this is only the first one I saw, but I can tell that in more demanding scenes, his directorial touch is very slight and rather pedestrian. However, there is enough excitement in the story and how it unfolds, so it never becomes dull or boring. Some great locations + black and white photography makes it, at least, a memorable watch and gives food for thought about personal choices and decisions if such catastrophe ever occurred (I sure hope it doesn't!).

Silga

Post by Silga »

21. Practical Magic (Griffin Dunne, 1998) 4/10

A major disappointment, especially given how much I love all the main actresses. I mean, Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock, Dianne Wiest and Stockard Channing. One would at least hope that these acting greats are allowed to showcase their talents and encouraged to try and steal scenes from each other. However, that's not entirely the case. Directed by Griffin Dunne (from After Hours) this is a very chaotic film, completely unsure of its tone or destination. A lot of scenes would end up being cut by a stricter editor. But when a script is so empty, it would probably end up a short film instead that way. Male actors are all pretty much forgettable right after the credits roll. The only reason I haven't rated it even lower - there are still glimmers of pure joy of seeing these amazing actresses play and charm their way around the superstitious little town in New England.

22. A Quiet Place Part II (John Krasinski, 2020) 7/10

A rare case when a sequel is considerably better than the original. I wasn't a fan of the first one, but this time around John Krasinski is capable to showcase his talent for capturing a distraught and dangerous situations with clinical precision and well thought-out story-line. It's both visually and dramatically engaging and tells a story of survival in alien-infested world. Not sure if Cillian Murphy was given enough space to employ his acting chops, but I have no complaints about the cast - everyone did a fine job and made the story constraints (don't make noise) believable and tense. I'm looking forward to watching the prequel film A Quiet Place: Day One and any sequels if they ever get made.

Post by ... »

Interesting project, enjoying reading it.
Silga

Post by Silga »

greg x wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:39 am Interesting project, enjoying reading it.
Thank you, Greg!

I pondered about doing something like that for a few years. I have no strict commitments about it and will only do it for as long as it keeps my interest. Although my latest research into this 'sub-genre' has revealed a large plethora of choices for this challenge with films coming from all decades, genres and various countries.

Found more than enough films directed by female actors too, that will be useful as well, since I want to watch more films directed by women. I found both films directed by Jeanne Moreau too.
Last edited by Silga on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silga

Post by Silga »

23. The Milagro Beanfield War (Robert Redford, 1988) 5/10

A mediocre effort from Redford. A simple truth would be that this is a film that contains more stories when necessary and wastes a strong central line that could have led to a more engaging outcome. In turn, this feels like a variety of cameos glued together and bonded by rural New Mexico landscape with a touch of magical realism. On the positive side, one can easily feel the love Redford holds for the novel, its ideals and morals. You can't help but feel sympathy for the locals who fight land developers and try to maintain their way of life. Carlos Riquelme and Rubén Blades deserve accolades for their passionate performances.

24. Final (Campbell Scott, 2001) 4/10

It sure is a tiny budget film, but it's misgivings have more to do with the way the story is told, rather than how much it is limited by the shortage of funds. I just couldn't engage with Denis Leary and his acting. He plays a confused patient at Sumner hospital who awakens after a long time and is kept locked in a room and observed by a medical staff, mainly one doctor, played by the great actress Hope Davis who constantly brings this tired and sleepy film to life. The third act manages to save the film a bit and I could see it getting a remake. With a more carefully crafted ideas, this premise could deliver a captivating and tense film or I could also see a modern mini-series giving this story a go.
nrh

Post by nrh »

Silga wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 pm Found more than enough films directed by female actors too, that will be useful as well, since I want to watch more films directed by women. I found both films directed by Jeanne Moreau too.
i'm sure kinuyo tanaka is already on your radar (especially with all the new restorations that have been floating around), but some other favorites are aparna sen, her daughter konkona sen sharma, sylvia chang and sandra ng. haven't seen it yet but i'm very curious about sadhana's geeta mere naam, which is the earliest solo directing credit by an indian woman i can think of...
Silga

Post by Silga »

nrh wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 am
Silga wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 pm Found more than enough films directed by female actors too, that will be useful as well, since I want to watch more films directed by women. I found both films directed by Jeanne Moreau too.
i'm sure kinuyo tanaka is already on your radar (especially with all the new restorations that have been floating around), but some other favorites are aparna sen, her daughter konkona sen sharma, sylvia chang and sandra ng. haven't seen it yet but i'm very curious about sadhana's geeta mere naam, which is the earliest solo directing credit by an indian woman i can think of...
Thanks a lot for recommendations, NRH! I'm glad that there is a diverse content for this challenge too.
Silga

Post by Silga »

25. The Invention of Lying (Ricky Gervais, Matthew Robinson, 2009) 6/10

Ricky Gervais - a distributor of hate, maybe second only to the originator and the true OG - Don Rickles. Here he lives in a world where no one lies. In fact, no one is even capable of concocting a single line that isn't true. Until the moment Gervais' character upends this obstacle and tells the world's first lie. A brilliant premise that gives an open field to play with. Like a warm, ready-to-work clay, filmmakers have the unlimited territory to move around and invent.

The path they have chosen is, rather, a safe one. A romance arc is a bet you can't totally lose. Even those, who are critical of the premise are given a cliché and classic love story while others can enjoy a pointy satire of religion and, sometimes, ridiculous convictions and superstitions. I understand where people see the failures of this film, but maybe I was more forgiving and, simply, in the right mood for it, but it worked for the most part, even when, as I already pointed-out, everything was paper-thin and on the nose.

26. Shortcut to Happiness (Alec Baldwin, 2003) 5/10

A troubled finished product was shelved, delayed, re-cut, re-titled and, eventually, even had Alec Baldwin disassociate himself from the picture, and so the director credit was changed to "Harry Kirkpatrick". The final result that I saw was still a mildly endearing film about a writer who makes a deal with the devil in exchange for a successful career. It's mostly derided by clichés, but a fun and talented cast help it from turning into a bore. Up until the tragedy on the set of Rust, I always envisioned Alec Baldwin taking a director's job in this stage of his career. Not sure how it's all going to unfold now.
flip

Post by flip »

i'm enjoying reading this project too, and i share your view of devito as a director -- i watched a few of his films in the past year, and was impressed with most of them
Silga

Post by Silga »

flip wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 pm i'm enjoying reading this project too, and i share your view of devito as a director -- i watched a few of his films in the past year, and was impressed with most of them
Thanks, Flip!

The only two I have left unseen from DeVito are The Ratings Game (1984) and Death to Smoochy (2002). Looking forward to watching both, hopefully this year.
flip

Post by flip »

Silga wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:31 pm The only two I have left unseen from DeVito are The Ratings Game (1984) and Death to Smoochy (2002). Looking forward to watching both, hopefully this year.
i saw both of those in the last few months -- as you might guess, the later film feels much more sophisticated than the earlier one, both were worthwhile
Silga

Post by Silga »

27. When You Finish Saving the World (Jesse Eisenberg, 2022) 3/10

Talk about someone who failed on his debut feature. Eisenberg's film is completely insufferable and downright dumb. The only saviour here is Julianne Moore who is way to good to be in this mess. The main character is everything I dislike and, maybe, don't understand about Gen Z. From vocabulary to mannerisms - nothing make sense to me. As for Eisenberg, I loved him on some occasions in his acting career, so I hope he will shine again on the acting stage as directing is clearly not his forte.

28. Lucy and Desi (Amy Poehler, 2022) 9/10

I was born too late to fully enjoy and immerse myself into the world of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, but I knew about them, saw bits on youtube and, finally, was drawn to their amazing work thanks to good bio-pic Being the Ricardos. What Poehler manages with this beautiful documentary is to tell their story faithfully and with respect. Lucy and Desi were a trailblazing power couple and are deservedly credited for some major breakthroughs in television's history. I will make effort to watch more of I Love Lucy and their other projects. And how beautiful was Desi's final note as read by his friend at Lucille Ball's Kennedy Center Honors - “P.S. I Love Lucy was never just a title.” :hearteyes:

Silga

Post by Silga »

29. Dog (Channing Tatum, Reid Carolin, 2022) 6/10

I'm a dog lover and I always feel sympathy towards films that depict a friendship with a dog. I could easily go along with various naysayers of this film and complain about a predictable story, but Tatum's co-directorial debut manages to swing around that thin line of sappiness and deliver a grounded and honest take on an ex-military guy with all the worries and anxieties of PTSD. Feels like a passion project for Tatum who actually made a trip with his dying dog. Although I don't see Tatum going towards directing career in near future.

30. Poker Face (Russell Crowe, 2022) 4/10

Some high concept ideas here, beautiful scenery and well-scouted locations. Crowe knows his Australia. What the film's missing is an editor and a script doctor. Even with limited resources and the same unexciting cast, Russell Crowe could have still made a better picture with more developed characters and tighter pace. Why have an idea about some elaborate spyware system that the lead character created, but when go about completely ignoring it for most of running time? A gimmick that's wasted and dead on arrival. Always fun to see RZA though.

pabs

Post by pabs »

Thanks so much, Silga. A very interesting read so far, and so many great recs!
Silga

Post by Silga »

pabs wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:16 am Thanks so much, Silga. A very interesting read so far, and so many great recs!
Thanks, Pabs! I will keep an eye on your monthly reports, maybe something will fit for me for this exercise.