1921 Poll 2.0

niminy-piminy

Re: 1921 Poll 2.0

Post by niminy-piminy »

i am not completely sure about the "hospital" building.
i am only guessing from the description (provided in the film) that it might be the (later, differently looking) evangelical chapel.
so, this one is far from 99 percent guaranteed (only about 70 percent).

BUT the view from the end of the main square up towards the castle — standpoint (2) — is pretty "iconic".
Litomyšl is a small town and certain views (with most of the buildings that didn't change over time) are easy to recognize.

and then (identifying in the two shots the same building seen from different angles — viz the two "red squares" drawn on the stills — i can easily infer that the other shot was taken from the route that goes towards the castle — standpoint (3).

moreover, i know (even without film) where the "Czech Brethren" headquarters was.
plus, the description in the film is pretty clear.
so, in this case, i am 100 percent sure!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CEREMONY UNVEILING... 6/

and about this minor shot (the open-air laundromat), i am also 100 percent sure.
the place is "just behind the corner".
"laundry rinse" (1)
in the background part of the "piarist grammar school" (2)

in this case, i can provide the LAM link (with the "current" state) cuz it was "recently" (2005-2007) reconstructed...
Laundry Rinse → https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/01-vp8-laundry-rinse
The Laundry Rinse, intimately situated at the foot of the so-called Jewish Hill, was most probably created in the 18th century and, thanks to local merchant and museum curator Quido Šimek, also came to be known as the “Fountain at the Virgin Mary” due the associated image of Madonna. This pleasant sanctuary, with benches below the crowns of chestnut trees, was a popular place with an almost spa-like character. The original function of the Laundry Rinse gradually changed to a more decorative one.

i strongly recommend clicking the LAM link and scrolling down (towards the vintage pictures) to see the crocodiles!
(situated next to the laundry rinse in the 1950s-1960s??)

and a water spirit ("vodník") together with a stork and a frog!
(situated inside the laundry rinse)

there was a local guy named Josef Jadrný (a gardener) who kept adorning the town with all kinds of kitschy arrangements (made of decoratively planted plants).

local pioneers (juvenile wannabe neostalinists) admiring the alligators, 1959

i am sure i didn't see (on my very eyes) the crocodiles.
but i tend to think i did see (on my very eyes as a kid) this water spirit!
(who probably no longer "existed" during my childhood.)
i probably only saw the pics and then formed false memories about it.
(due to longing so much to "personally witness" this charming kitsch.)
after Josef Jadrný grew too old, this eccentric guerrilla gardening tradition vanished.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Sat May 07, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sally

Post by sally »

faute de mieux wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:28 pm BUT the view from the end of the main square up towards the castle — standpoint (2) — is pretty "iconic".
Litomyšl is a small town and certain views (with most of the buildings that didn't change over time) are easy to recognize.

fucking hell it really hasn't changed.

ghosts.......churches.....brethren....

der galiläer - dimitri buchowetzki

the most time i've ever seen given to judas (yay he's my favourite) in a passion play

he conveniently avoided the raising/discovering problem

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CEREMONY UNVEILING... 7/

slowly but surely, we are heading towards the core of all these annotations, i.e. ceremony of unveiling of the two memorials in the Eastern Bohemia (i.e. on the Pink Meadow & in Litomyšl) in 1921.
but before that (the unveiling) one more thing needs to be said!

first, recall the previous...
since 1547 (as a consequence of the Schmalkaldic War → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmalkaldic_War ), local Protestants (including the Czech Brethren) started to become persecuted (by Habsburgs, i.e. Catholics).
and in 1620 (after the Battle of White Mountain → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_White_Mountain ), they became banned (viz quote above) — local Protestants were forced either to convert to Catholicism (or pretend the conversion) or to leave to the exile (keep this on your mind for the installment about the Memorial of the Czech Brethren on the Pink Meadow — unveiled in 1921).
non-Catholic churches were forbidden in 1620 when the Bohemian Revolt was decisively defeated and victorious Habsburg rulers imposed harsh Counter-Reformation measures on the Bohemian Crown. This ban was mitigated in 1781 by issuing the Patent of Toleration that permitted Lutheran and Calvinist churches in the Habsburg monarchy (yet full equality with Catholic faith and equality before the law Protestants only obtained as late as in 1867, when Austria-Hungary was created). Nevertheless, other minor churches were still forbidden until the foundation of Czechoslovakia in 1918.
so, 1921 was the 300 years anniversary of the public execution of 27 Protestant noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague in 1621 (June 21).
Old Town Square execution → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_Square_execution

300 years anniversary was commemorated throughout the country.
the film (we are dealing with) mentions the commemorations on the Old Town Square in Prague by two shots (actually one middle shot and a close up).

this whole Re-Catholization (Counter-Reformation) era was nicked by the heirs of the local National Revival Movement as (the age of) "Darkness".
thus making the reference to the historical novel by Alois Jirásek called "Darkness" → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temno_(novel)
the novel deals only with one specific episode of this era (taking place between 1723-1729) but the label was expanded (by national revivalists) for the whole aeon of the Habsburg oppression.
btw. the Jirásek's novel (Darkness) was adapted into a film called "Darkness" (i didn't watch it yet, i expect it's pretty agitprop) → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temno_(film)

thus this perception that 300 years-long "darkness" is over (with the fall of the autocratic Habsburg empire and the establishment of the liberal republic of Czechoslovakia in 1918) resulted in the erections of all kinds of memorials & conducting all kinds of commemorations in 1921.

btw. notice (on the close-up shot) the nearly indistinct inscription on the wreath saying PRAVDA VÍTĚZÍ ("truth prevails")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_prevails

"Truth prevails" (Czech: Pravda vítězí, Latin: Veritas vincit) is the national motto of the Czech Republic. The motto appears on the standard of the President of the Czech Republic, which the Czech Constitution designates a national symbol.
it is pretty absurd that the "Truth Prevails" banner is waving over the Prague Castle while inside is posing as a president a notorious & convicted liar!
this fucker (ass licker of other notorious liars, i.e. Putin, Trump, etc.) who likes to pose as a wise man (and thus likes to quote by heart all kinds of stupidities which impresses the local simpletons, i.e. approximately 20-30 percent of the local population) concocted some article in which a guy who went through the concentration camp (journalist Ferdinand Peroutka) was supposedly (in his never found article) expressing his sympathy to Hitler. the granddaughter of the guy ofc sued the fucker, won the trial (fucker was not able to submit the "quoted" article), and the fucker was sentenced to the apology (which he ofc didn't make because he is a fucking sociopath beyond the law).

so, in this way, the "truth prevails" over the Prague Castle these days (ca. 100 years after the film, containing the "truth prevails" close-up).
SEPTEMBER 20, 2015
https://www.praguepost.com/the-big-stor ... underpants

Art group replaces president’s flag with red underpants

Art provocateur group Ztohoven pulled another one of its public art stunts. This time they replaced the president’s flag flying over Prague Castle with oversized red underwear, as a protest against Czech President Miloš Zeman.

The group of three men between the ages of 33 and 41 gained access to the roof of the President’s Office in the Royal Palace of Prague Castle on the afternoon of Sept. 19 by disguising themselves as chimney sweeps.

The red underpants were quickly removed by Castle staff, and police are investigating the matter.

On the Ztohoven.com website, the group asked whether this was the president’s dirty laundry.

“Today we hung a banner over the Castle for a man who is not ashamed of anything,” they stated.

They also had a poem of sorts criticizing President Zeman for his close ties to China and Russia, and a video.

Police detained three people on suspicion of disorderly conduct and theft, but thy have been released while the investigation continues, police spokeswoman Andrea Zoulová said.

This is not the first public criticism of Zeman. At a rally in November 2014, people gathered at Národní třída and Spálená Street to hold up red cards in protest of several scandals during his term in office.

The Ztohoven name is a Czech-language pun meaning either “z toho ven” (the way out) or “sto hoven” (the hundred turds).

On June 17, 2007, Ztohoven hacked into one of the cameras used for a live feed from the Krkonoše mountains by Czech Television for the show Panorama and inserted an atomic explosion.

Six Ztohoven members were prosecuted for scaremongering and spreading false information and faced prison sentences of up to three years. A Czech judge in 2008 dismissed the scaremongering charges,

The group also in 2009 used morphing software to make composite photos of members and get state ID cards that resembled more than one person. Members used the cards with names of other people from the group for a year to travel and vote. This led to the arrest in 2010 of group leader Roman Týc.

Other incidents they have been involved in include changing the advertising signs at metro and tram stops, altering pedestrian street crossing signs, adding a question mark to a heart-shaped sign at Prague Castle and adding a cross to the 27 crosses for those executed in Old Town Square in 1621.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Sun May 08, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sally

Post by sally »

i love this! who would have thought there was so much contained in a little 20 min film! and there was me not wanting it explained...
sally

Post by sally »

omissions.....i cannot find any films from 1921 relating to stones

https://twitter.com/PublicDomainRev/sta ... 7298712578
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CEREMONY UNVEILING... 8/

finally, we come to the point of unveiling!
despite this installment being the core of the whole series, it's certainly not the last one.
a few more minor annotations gonna follow till the poll's deadline (at the end of May).
including an adventurous tale (vividly recalled while watching one particular scene of this film) of drug abuse, manhunt, paranoia & happy end (that will once become part of my memoirs).
anyway, back to the unveiling!

so, this film supposedly (based on the title & intertitles) depicts two unveiling ceremonies (of the two memorials):
A/ Memorial of the Czech Brethren on the Pink Meadow
B/ J. A. Komenský Memorial in the Town of Litomyšl

BUT... the film seems to be incomplete!
after the extensive intro and depictions of the unveiling of the memorial on the pink meadow, it ends abruptly, and the unveiling of the J.A.K. Memorial in Litomyšl is not shown at all (despite being advertised by the title and intertitles).
however, don't feel disappointed!
in this installment, both memorials gonna be featured.

preliminary (linguistic) side note:
instead of the "pink meadow", more accurate is the phrase the "rose meadow".
růže = "rose"
růžový = "pink" or "(made) of roses"
but i am gonna use the (mildly misleading) phrase "pink meadow" as well cuz it gives the narrative a fairy-tale vibe — something that can never hurt in the art of story-telling.

preliminary (fractographic) side note:
the author of both memorials is an architect Alois Metelák (1897-1980) → https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/architect/314-alois-metelak
his surname is wrongly spelled in the Europeana (and other) synopses as "Metelík" ("í" is wrong, "á" is right).
he was tutored by Jože Plečnik → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C5%BEe_Ple%C4%8Dnik

A/
Monument to the Czech Brethren at Růžový palouček (LAM link offers plenty of vintage pics!)
https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/v-05- ... y-paloucek

One of the earliest records of the use of the term Růžový palouček – Rose Meadow – (henceforth referred to as RP) is considered to have been the 1378 deed of foundation of the Carthusian Monastery Rubus beatae Mariae in nearby Tržek , as this term could be translated as the Rose Meadow of the Virgin Mary. RP became widely known in 1834 thanks to the writer V. J. Picek, whose article Růžový Palouček mentions an area densely overgrown with roses, hence Růžový palouček (Rose Meadow), and links it with the legend according to which Russian soldiers camped and prayed here during their campaign against Napoleon. In 1836, the pastor Josef Kačer tells J. E. Purkyně about how elders from a nearby village recount that under the reign of Ferdinand “II or III” Czechs met at RP to hold a final prayer meeting, that during the preceding war against Napoleon Russian soldiers prayed here, and that anyone who attempted to plough the meadow would have bad luck. In 1861, Kačer publicized the information that the Cossacks new RP well and that “it is renowned in the history of the Czech Brethren. The scattered settlements of our exiles (…) still tell of this sacred place of wonder today.” The pastor's texts as well as the legends concerning a buried gold chalice and seven kings, who would meet after a terrible battle to make peace forever, are central to a collection of legends and tidings about RP which were merely altered and developed by further additions to them (see Legends of Old Bohemia by Jirásek). In 2011, the historian Milan Skřivánek wrote: “RP is a symbol which was, to a certain extent, created intentionally and artificially.” So far, “nobody has presented positive or at least slightly trustworthy evidence that Czech Brethren actually bade farewell to each other at RP, nor do the earliest records of RP mention such an event. The marked anti-Catholic tone of the newly created symbol is evident from the very first instance that RP was linked to the traditions of the Czech Brethren. “

Ever since the second half of the 19th century, RP has been a destination for trips and a place for public meetings. In 1865, the Society of singers Vlastimil laid a commemorative stone with a lyre, which can still be seen today. From 1870 to 1909, a cross was erected here to commemorate the victims of a fire at a building for drying hemp in nearby Újezdec. During the 1890s, there was notion that land with a few trees in the open countryside could be acquired for the public and a monument could be built on it. The Society for the acquisition of “Růžový Palouček” for the public near Oujezdec, based in Litomyšl was set up. The land was purchased in 1906, with the society having right of disposition, and the owner being the District Council. In the same year, a road was built to RP and several years of negotiation commenced, initially concerning its design (among others, the sculptor Quido Kocian promised cooperation) and later, concerning the acquisition of a monument to Master Jan Hus. However, all plans were thwarted by the First World War.

In 1920, the architect Alois Metelák created a design for a monument to A Komenský at RP. However, those responsible decided that a work of art of such high artistic value in such a secluded setting would be exposed to all possible “harmful influences”, and so it was given to Litomyšl. Therefore, Metelák, at that time teaching wood and metal working at the District Technical College in Litomyšl, along with that school's headmaster, the constructor Karel Preis and several “idea” consultants, created three designs for another artwork – a Monument to the Czech Brethren. The ceremonial unveiling of both artifacts (the third, metal version was chosen for RP) created by the pupils of the abovementioned school from copper imported by the Legions from Russia, was on the 19th of June 1921. In the spring of 1924, work commenced on landscaping a park around the monument, and was carried according to a design by the winner of a public design competition the Prague landscape architect J. A. Kulišan. The premises were fenced off and, after several years, an entrance gate created by the pupils of the above-mentioned technical college was installed.

The monument itself is located inside a chased metal cage, “whose artistic appearance has been endorsed by the artist-saint Master Plečník” (according to members of the society in period). It is composed of metal slabs clad with copper sheets featuring relief work, and is topped with a chalice-shaped capital bearing a gilded globe with figures of Czech Brethren wandering the world. The capital is an allegorical representation of their activity (preachers, teachers) and sacrifice (exile), and the prism-shaped column symbolizes their virtue and belief (e.g. the bird and nest endangered by snakes represents the unity of the brethren surrounded by enemies). The names of the foremost brethren and exiles from the Litomyšl region can be also found on the monument, as can a dedication to those who erected the monument. Even though two plaques with a text by Alois Jirásek, “Nation, do not succumb, do not die! The governance of your affairs will return to you” were removed during the Protectorate, a period which the monument itself survived. There is also a commemorative inscription on the metal cage. The monument reflects the influence of the designer's mentor, Josip Plečnik, especially as regards the application of the impressive combination of copper and gold, a typical feature of Plečnik's design projects for adaptations to Prague Castle.
tl;dr of the above & a few additions/elaborations...

local version of the dilettante encyclopedia mentions at least two other places called "pink meadow" (or "rose meadow") that are supposedly the places of the last farewell of the Czech Brethren to their homeland (before their exile).
so, there might have been some specific places where the Czech Brethren ceremonially ate the blood and flesh of the messiah and shed tears (that were turning into wild roses) before leaving home forever (thus escaping religious bigotry) but these places and the places called "rose meadow" might not be identical.
the particular "rose meadow" near the city of Litomyšl was popularized by the writer of the historical novels Alois Jirásek and thus became a place of "historical significance".

wild roses of the pink meadow (growing of the tears of the poor exiled) can't vanish.
whoever tried to do so was afflicted by the ill-fortune.
and the wild roses of the pink meadow are non-transferable.
whoever tried to adorn with these wild roses his/her own private garden failed to do so, because the roses elsewhere withered.

(according to the film's intertitle) the inscription on the memorial says:
Behold, the place sanctified by the sorrows of the ancestors!
From their tears, the roses bloomed —
a monument of strong faith, faithful love,
in the horrors of exile bestowing the blessing:
Live, nation, do not die!
The rule of thy cause shall return unto thee,
O, Czech people!
on June 19, 1921, crowds had been coming to the pink meadow since the morning...

at the unveiling ceremony participated the visitors from Poland, Ukraine, USA (the offspring of the exiled)...

VIP guests (including the representatives of the government) arrived on carriages driven by horses...

the main speaker at the ceremony, Alois Jirásek, was addressing the crowd of (allegedly) approximately 70.000 ppl.
(pretty impressive considering that the population of these days Litomyšl is ca. 10.000-11.000 and in 1921 it might have been half???)

then the film abruptly ends and thus we don't see the following...

B/
Jan Amos Komenský memorial (also plenty of cool vintage pics behind the link!)
https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/02-vp ... y-memorial
Right up to the beginning of the 20th century, the buildings in the area of today's Komenský Square were low rural-style houses, and also included the popular pub U Zemanů. The decision to transform the area into a public, park-style space was taken in connection with the urban plan to create a new town suburb in the area of the so-called Český or Dolní suburb. The first in line was the Smetana House building (02-402), followed by the Girls' School (02-22). It was soon clear that it was an unfortunate decision as the new buildings, due to their character and monumental size contrasted unfavourably with the historical centre of the town.

Therefore, the area remained unfinished. The establishing of the Czechoslovak state was an opportunity for the partial regeneration of the area, when the initiative to erect a monument (originally designed for the well-known Růžový palouček) to Jan Amos Komenský arose. The leading figure of the initiative was Prof. Bedřich Dudycha of the District College in Litomyšl. The design for the monument was drawn up by his colleague, the architect and glass artist Alois Metelák, between 1920 and 1921.

Metelák created an excellent non-figurative work of art in the shape of a globe of the Earth, representing Orbis Terrarum. Its surface is covered with diamond-shaped copper sections with chased symbols of Czech statehood and moments in the life and work of Komenský, including titles of his literary works. The sphere is on a granite pyramidal base, also decorated with chased copper plates with citations from Kšaftu umírající matky Jednoty bratrské. The construction design of the monument was by Karel Preis, headmaster of the District College in Litomyšl, whose pupils carried out the construction work. The ceremonial unveiling of the monument took place on the 19th of June, 1921 – the same day the unveiling of the Memorial to the Czech Brethren at Růžový Palouček, another of Metelák's works of art, took place.

In 1943, the monument had to be dismantled due to the Protectorate's decree that all noble metals be recycled. Luckily, the components were not melted down but hidden. Only the base construction remained and, in 1950, was substituted with a monument to the Czechoslovak Communist Party. This comprised a granite block with a metal five-pointed star and emblazoned with the letters KSČ. The Komenský monument was returned in 1967 after its complete restoration.

sally

Post by sally »

i haven't forgotten about 1921! how could i?

pour don carlos - musidora, jacques lasseyne

first half is o what is happening, then it hots up for approx 20 mins for the sex and death

if only the whole film had been that

^also i assume due to the sympathy of the righteous, the combatants of each insurgent army walk in opposite directions to avoid accidental contact

sally wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:20 pm cud nad wisłą / the miracle at the vistula - richard boleslawski (1921) #CoMoPoland

</textareaname="message"> ----argh i am so fed up with this!!!
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Stray thoughts about Quatre-Vingt-Treize

Did the Chouans have camp-followers? Were they called Chouettes?

(Sally voice) "If they locked those kids into the library, how long before they start tearing books up?"

I love! the trick Capellani pulled at 2:16:00 and thereabouts to make his army look three times larger than it was. Looks almost like a Monty Python gag.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CEREMONY UNVEILING... 9/

despite this series already climaxed (in the previous installment), there is still plenty of important topics (& irrelevant gossip) yet left unspoken and thus still awaiting to be elaborated on in the next installments.
first of all, let's get more familiar with the main speaker at the unveiling ceremony.
namely, the writer of historical novels Alois Jirásek (1851-1930) → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Jir%C3%A1sek

Alois Jirásek didn't come to Litomyšl (as some of you might think, based on all that has been said before) to find in its proximity some arbitrary spot, via his scribbling to create a myth of the spot's historical importance, to delude the crowds of the local patriotic readers (making them erect the "memorial") and ultimately to become the speaker on the "memorial's" unveiling ceremony (thus concluding his grand "historical" prank).
NO!
he came to Litomyšl to teach history & geography at the Piarist Grammar School (1).
this local educational institution was founded in 1640.
the current building comes from 1714-1719.
Alois Jirásek taught there in 1874-1888.
(stills from the 1921 movie gonna be juxtaposed with the current G street views.)

btw. around this grammar school and its students, AJ unveiled another narrative (national revival story) called "History of Philosophy"
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... k-historie
turned into an eponymous movie by Otakar Vávra
https://letterboxd.com/film/history-of-philosophy/
the film has been shot thoroughly in the city of Litomyšl!
A student rebellion precedes revolutionary events in Prague.
by "revolutionary events in Prague" is meant Prague Uprising of 1848 → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Uprising_of_1848

so, AJ came to Litomyšl in 1874 and his first dwelling place (1874-1876) became this house (2)...

then he moved here (3), and lived there in 1876-1879, the house (demolished in 1882), was not featured in the film.
at this very spot, he wrote the aforementioned "History of Philosophy".
in 1879, he got married to a local girl (her father was against it, they had 8 kids in sum, 7 daughters & 1 son).
then he moved (with his spouse) next-door (4), and lived there in 1879-1882.
besides, he wrote another short story about the house further next-door (5).
this particular house has the most ancient and fancy facade in the whole main square.
the core & facade (adorned with figures of knights) of the house come from the Rennaisance (from 1546, local Rennaisance is somewhat delayed from the mainstream/Italian Rennaisance).
till JA's residency, it was a classy but no name house.
once JA called it "knight's house" in his short story, it became called like this by all the locals (who started almost to pretend it was called like this since time immemorial).
details of the facade and several vintage pics behind the LAM link → https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/01-11 ... he-knights

JA's last dwelling place (1882-1888) was a local pub called "Buřvalka" (6)...

in 1888, he moved to Prague.
when he was leaving, each and every citizen of Litomyšl (including all the toddlers and disabled) was personally giving farewell to JA and shedding tears.
already in Prague, AJ stated...
Litomyšl is left behind.
It's out of sight.
But it's not out of mind.
It stays forever in the heart.
in 1959, the JA memorial (7) was erected in Litomyšl.
local urban legend says, whoever wants to pass a secondary school leaving examination on any of the local schools (especially on the Alois Jirásek Grammar School) should climb the memorial and sit on AJ's lap.
whoever fails to do so, fails at the exam!
i didn't give a fuck to do so and successfully graduated on the aforementioned educational institution.
so, based on my own personal experience, all the oral history related to the city of Litomyšl should be taken with the utmost suspicion!

all the aforementioned (and one subsequently mentioned) spots located on the map...

so, now, it is (i guess) completely clear why AJ was greeted so heartily when he arrived in Litomyšl by train in 1921 — to speak at the unveiling ceremony.
btw. the guy standing next to AJ is then-mayor František Lašek (1872-1947).
in a twist of fate, later, i lived in a flat (on the main square) that was in the past the dwelling place of this very František Lašek (8).
but that's another story!
btw. the aforementioned František Lašek should not be mistaken with the actor of the same name (who is a different person) → https://www.csfd.cz/tvurce/27267-franti ... biografie/

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

btw. i recommend reading these long installments with at least 1-hour delay (after publishing) because i need some time to remove all (or most of) the typos, rephrase some phrases, and fix some minor omissions.
sally

Post by sally »

16th century buildings here are 'ooooh' and pretty rare (thank you, industrial revolution) & nothing looks like it did in 1921 even - am fascinated by so much conserve/restore, is that normal for every town in czechia or is litomyšl like a special heritage site or something? i was so hypnotized by the pastel chocolate-box kitsch i got sucked into streetview and ended up in the suburbs cheering at slightly run-down modern houses...
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CEREMONY UNVEILING... 10/
The ceremony event was attended by Captain G. V. Figulus - an offspring of J. A. Komenský - and his daughter Gertruda of Johannesburg.
Their property includes also a very precious memory piece, a ring once belonging to J. A. Komenský.
as already said, some participants in the two unveiling ceremonies arrived from abroad.
the film explicitly mentions descendants of the exiles from Poland, Ukraine, USA.
but as the most VIP guest was treated Captain G. V. Figulus, coming (together with his daughter Gertruda) from Johannesburg, South Africa.
allegedly, the descendant from an acclaimed pedagogue and theologian Jan Amos Komenský (1592-1670), the most prominent of the exiles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Amos_Comenius

In consequence of the religious wars, he lost all his property and his writings in 1621. In 1627 he led the Brethren into exile when the Habsburg Counter-Reformation persecuted the Protestants in Bohemia.
i think Captain G. V. Figulus and his daughter (that looks more like his granddaughter?!?!) are posing for the camera in Prague?!?!
(at least, i am convinced it is nowhere in Litomyšl.)

and this ring is, allegedly, a precious relic kept for generations in the Figulus family (originally being worn by J.A.K. himself).
if all of this is true, i am leaving at your own discretion!

to me, "Captain G. V. Figulus of Johannesburg" seems rather like an impostor who wants to sell to stupid/gullible patriots some stolen jewelry for big money.
but maybe i am mistaken?!?!
if mistaken, i apologize to Captain G. V. Figulus and his (ehm) "daughter" Gertruda!
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Thu May 12, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

sally wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:23 pm is that normal for every town in czechia or is litomyšl like a special heritage site or something?
it is rather abnormal...
https://davosdeclaration2018.ch/media/C ... ysl-en.pdf

The miracle of Litomyšl

Why does a small town in the Czech Republic attract so much attention?

The town has a population of 10,000 and is located in Eastern Bohemia, a two-hour drive from Prague. The story of the miracle began in the 1970s when prominent Czech artists were invited to restore the renaissance castle. Meeting such creative minds had an impact on the local people. After the fall of the Iron Curtain in 1989, the newly elected mayor Miroslav Brýdl began to pay more attention to modern architecture. This involved ensuring that any new development would serve the needs of the town’s residents, and Litomyšl has continued to adhere to this principle up to
the present.

So far, as many as 50 buildings and sites have been refurbished or newly built using public funding. The town has been described as an architecture laboratory, a Mecca of contemporary Czech architecture and an architectural biotope. Baukultur in Litomyšl is expressed in three ways: in the reconstruction of historical edifices, the construction of new buildings and the transformation of public spaces. The fruitful co-existence of the old and the new, of historical buildings and contemporary architecture, is based not only on individual contributions from star architects but also on
the constant monitoring by a team of town planners headed by the town’s architect Zdenka Vydrová. Any revitalisation of the public space or of historical complexes takes account of the social context, symbols, functions and spatial arrangement.

The idea behind putting a special focus on the quality of architecture, in other words on Baukultur, is to improve the everyday lives of the inhabitants. In the very beginning people’s reactions to some of the modern additions to the public space were not always positive, prompting the
town authorities to organise meetings, lectures and guided architectural tours. This led to the creation of a festival of arts and architecture called ArchiMyšl. This annual event facilitates the dialogue between professionals and the general public.

The charm of Litomyšl is based on the combination of the old and the new and the interconnection of both.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

omg, omg, omg, THE CRUCIFIED (Boris Orlický, 1921) is truly insane!
it is basically a dirty pogrom story where everyone goes nuts...
Pain and powerful emotions drive the crucified woman mad.
during the Prague Uprising of 1848 a kid of the mad woman is hiding in St. Wilgefortis chapel...

btw. it is the same uprising already mentioned earlier today...
by "revolutionary events in Prague" is meant Prague Uprising of 1848 → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Uprising_of_1848
and btw. it is the same St. Wilgefortis i eulogized during our very first Genre Cup in bygone Zetaboards ages (i hope someone can still remember)...
BEARDED LADIES, FEMININE MOUSTACHE, HIRSUTISM

Wilgefortis is a female saint of popular religious imagination whose legend arose in the 14th century, and whose distinguishing feature is a large beard. … According to the narrative of the legend, sometimes set in Portugal, a teen-aged noblewoman named Wilgefortis had been promised in marriage by her father to a pagan king. To thwart the unwanted wedding, she had taken a vow of virginity, and prayed that she would be made repulsive. In answer to her prayers she sprouted a beard, which ended the engagement. In anger, Wilgefortis's father had her crucified.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilgefortis

Wilgefortis became extremely popular in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, with different names all over Europe, translating to everything from “Strong Virgin” to “The Liberator”. There are a number of statues of the bearded and crucified Wilgefortis around Europe today, including the statue in the small Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows at the Loreta in Prague.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sta ... ilgefortis

in the same St. Wilgefortis chapel, the same guy (now already an adult, participating in the Austro-Prussian war in 1866) is bound to bed (injured) and hallucinates his crucified mom...

moreover, there is a catholic priest in the film who is at one point ready to give up his spiritual vocation so he can pursue his carnal urges.
and at another point, he is giving a very strange lesson to his neurasthenic student (and ultimately stabs the statue of the messiah)...
And anyway, a corpse is just a soulless thing,
a cemetery is a mere orchard,
a temple is a mere building.
And, after all, Christ's likeness is mere wood.
Watch, I’ll drive a knife into the crucifix to prove it!
Well, why does no blood gush forth?
Don't be a fool!
If there were anything here beyond the rational,
something would have to happen.
But this likeness of Christ just hangs there as soulless as before,
with no trace of blood!
besides, i never ever saw a film where an author (Jakub Arbes in this case → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakub_Arbes ) of the book (that is being adapted to film) is depicted in the same film as if telling the story to the reader...

and not only once (at the beginning) but also in the middle of the tale (when the reader is overpowered by emotions)...

last but not least, everyone has full-scale panda bear eyes!
not just some decent eye-lines, all actors & actresses are full-scale gothic panda bear vampires!

the true sensation of 1921!
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri May 13, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i never worship any saints but when i visited the chapel of St. Wilgefortis in Loreta (a few years ago) i lit the candle in her memory.
she is my favorite saint!
it is a pity she has been in the film somewhat masculinized.
sally

Post by sally »

♥ how nice to see someone excited about something! (especially after all the unenthusiastic stuff i read about the film previously made me shunt it down my watchlist - ta-da! it's moved back up!)

although slightly worried for jiri now cuz that means he needs to pre-watch every czech film we plan to see just to let us know what local depth-giving joys we would otherwise undoubtedly miss (maybe plan czechia CoMo a year in advance & submit regimented schedules)

is that the chapel where the puke was?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

sally wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:12 am is that the chapel where the puke was?
no, St. Wilgefortis dwells in Loreta (near Prague Castle).
and puke was in the church in the Lesser Town that is a holy shrine of the Infant of Prague (not Saint but infant Messiah, the hero of the Multiple Maniacs).
https://youtu.be/oqBQhSYD6TQ

puke being the expression of gratitude for granted pregnancy (kept intact so everyone can witness the Infant's power to bless with fertility).
St. Wilgefortis avoided marriage by growing beard, so she don't give a fuck to bless the housewives longing for progeny.

(1) Loreta
(2) Our Lady Victorious, Prague Infant Jesus
</textareaname="message">
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

btw. forgot to mention that CRUCIFIED offers stunning battle scenes taking place right on the Charles Bridge!
to perfection, it lacks only to blow it up.

sally

Post by sally »

faute de mieux wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:53 pm no
i guess it's back to prague school with me :(
(tbh the first place i'm going to if i ever go to there is the františek palacký monument and then i'll probably get immediately lost)
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

if you come, gonna pick you up in "Lost & Found" in Karoliny Světlé Street...
https://www.prague.eu/en/object/places/ ... und?back=1

Lost and Found (Ztráty a nálezy)
Lost things often turn up even when you don't expect it. In Karoliny Světlé Street, there is a repository of found objects that have been handed over by honest citizens, as well as items left behind on public transportation or handed over at police stations and government offices.
Lencho of the Apes

Lost things often turn up even when you don't expect it.
Even without a punchline, this sounds like the premise of a Jan Svankmajer movie.

Meanwhile, Team Nazimova almost make Camille look like a L'Herbier movie. Very likely to be somewhere toward the bottom of my final list.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

faute de mieux wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:38 am last but not least, everyone has full-scale panda bear eyes!
not just some decent eye-lines, all actors & actresses are full-scale gothic panda bear vampires!
another flick (THE POISONED LIGHT), the same fleck(s) (due to the poisoned tap water???)...
sally

Post by sally »

faute de mieux wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:35 pm (due to the poisoned tap water???)...
oh god a great czech panda plague spreading symptoms through time! i wouldn't look in the mirror tomorrow morning if i was you, although i guess you'll know when you see the claws....
sally

Post by sally »

faute de mieux wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:38 am omg, omg, omg, THE CRUCIFIED (Boris Orlický, 1921) is truly insane!
it really is! i unfollowed the moron who said it was boring. tbh tho all the czech films i've seen from the 20s are hyper mad (even accounting for the fact that some of them seem to be spliced from lost larger wholes and rush-run at the wrong fps) all the excessive gestures are perfect for silent cinema...but this one....he fancies a girl just precisely because she looks like his dead mother etc...etc...issues......

and the scene on the bridge was lovely - it's so atmospheric, it must have been used for other film locations, but google search is only bringing up crap...

incidentally, the polish chocolate is long gone but i still had some czech stuff

might make it a thing from now (altho let's never do france as CoMo, i generally prefer grainy, ashy, bitter dark choc, but the brand chocolat bonnat is an exception, it's like joyfully smearing buttery silk all over yourself, and well...too much of it at once and it'll go through me like prague tapwater)
Lencho of the Apes

I haven't watched it yet, but the title-cards at the beginning of The Whistle (Lambert Hillyer, st. William SHart) makes it look like an Evelyn must-see. Speechifying about "Labor vs capital"?
sally

Post by sally »

i was looking at that earlier (can't remember why) but the quality was too crap so i passed....i think all the harts from 21 look unwatchable :(
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Oh thank you, Lencho, I'd never heard of this one, but it sounds right up my alley! And the copy on YT looks watchable enough or almost.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

when the infamous lbox reviewer says...
"The Crucified" is doomed by a relative incompetence in storytelling.
... i dare to disagree.
THE CRUCIFIED's tale (& characters) is (are) easy to follow and to get jinxed by.

if one is looking for an "incompetent storytelling", he/she must look elsewhere!
f.e. towards another local 1921 film that displays (in my view) "ABSOLUTE incompetence in storytelling".
i mean the crime story called THE POISONED LIGHT (Jan S. Kolár, Karel Lamač, 1921).

the only thing that is completely clear about THE POISONED LIGHT's narrative is that it's a "Musk tale".
strictly speaking, it's a "two Musks tale".
but let's not complicate the only clear thing about this film and let's stick to a "Musk tale" label (to make clear at least something).
so, in this "Musk tale", one "Musk" ("Musk Sr." called Grant) doesn't build the hyperloop — like in THE TUNNEL (William Wauer, 1915) — but holds patents to "the radiation that is a revolution in lighting".
the other "Musk" ("Musk Jr.", an employee of "Musk Sr.") is called Bell (not Alexander Graham Bell but Milan Bell).
here are both "Musks" together with the main heroine ("Grimes")...

the only thing that is completely clear about "Grimes" is that she is possessed...
I'm possessed with the desire to embarrass that man.
the main villain is called Durk (viz the "gothic-panda-bear-vampire" above and below).
his real name is Darken (first name Jiří).
he is an escaped convict who masks his criminal past (& present) by the commoner's profession of an illusionist (doing stage magic and spiritist seances at birthday parties).
his imprisonment is served by his febble-minded brother.
both are played by Emil Artur Longen (i.e. Rudi from RUDI THE SPORTSMAN or RUDI'S PHILANDERINGS).
soon, it turns out that the real "Musk" is "Musk Jr." (Bell), and "Musk Sr." (Grant) is more like a "Trump" because to him "Grimes" is more like "Ivanka" (seductive daughter in a motherless household).

when the plot reached to the point of "Musk Jr." looking through the hole in a tree to figure out the ballistic curve of the projectile that was shot at him, i gave up trying to understand what's going on in this crime story and started to view it as a prequel to TWIN PEAKS (crime investigations in both have a similar vibe).

the only scene & characters i could fully empathize with is/are found in the following pic with two guys who just discovered an empty chair and are clueless about why this empty chair is empty (those are genuinely my feelings about this whole crime flick)...
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Mon May 16, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

meta-tale of this forum!!
Circus owner Flip entertains with balancing tricks and then tames an exotic beast.
https://youtu.be/HELo2BFNY00