everything is you

thoxans

everything is you

Post by thoxans »

a depot for passing one-liners about throwaway aspects of whatever makes you you
thoxans

Re: everything is you

Post by thoxans »

i'll get started: salt and vinegar is my fav flav of chip (see, this is technically still a one-liner cuz i used a colon, and not a period or exclamation mark)
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

also, cream soda is the best flav soda
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

i love dr pepper, and i also love dr pepper zero
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

my favs are also salt & vinegar chips and cream soda.....???? those are actualy somewhat typical favourites for someone from canada

s&v have been my favs since childhood, whereas my fav pop rotates b/w cream soda, root beer and dr pepper. once i was at a friend's wedding, in small town manitoba aka the worst most fucking hick place imaginable. most of the guests were from his or surrounding small towns, but the groom had some friends (including me) from when he went to uni in vancouver. we were somewhat outsiders, it was weird. i especially "stood out" b/c i was very much in the locals' eyes a ""hipster"", even tho i blended right it in east van. anyway, the day after the wedding there was a bbq at the bride's parents' house. they had one of those standard large packs of 4 pops. like 24 pop cans of 4 varieties. it was a pepsi pack i think, so there was pepsi, and i dunno, 7up and orange crush probably, and dr pepper. getting food i was asked what pop i wanted and i said "dr pepper, it's my fav pop" or something. i heard the groom's sister, very snarkily, remark "of course he likes the most hipster pop ever"
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
rischka

Post by rischka »

salt & vinegar are gross, coca-cola all the way (haven't had a soda in several years tho and have cut out chips now too)
Last edited by rischka on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
flip

Post by flip »

Curtis, baby wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:06 pm "of course he likes the most hipster pop ever"
i've been listening to cassandra jenkins' michelangelo sort of non-stop and i think that might be hipster pop
greennui

Post by greennui »

My fav crisp flavour is prawn cocktail which you can't get anywhere in Sweden. The recollection of the taste of prawn cocktail Pringles makes me think of happy days as a young student in England. It'll be my Rosebud.
flip

Post by flip »

honey dijon chips for me
nrh

Post by nrh »

there are a few varieties of spicy black pepper chips that i like but feeling very nostalgic for this weird brand of shrimp chips they used to have at the bookstore near the office i haven't been to since lockdown last year.

don't like sodas mostly but my grocery store started stocking these galvanina italian blood orange sodas on sale for like a month and now they are gone, likely never to return.
nrh

Post by nrh »

also should say there are a few brands of spicy chakli that are great but the consistency package for package is so poor we pretty much gave up on buying them. but when at their best they are the best fried crisp.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

the thing i miss about the states is diet pop. in canada we have fewer flavours of pop (and every junk food) but ESPECIALLY fewer diet pops. which kinda surprised me at first, we're a fitter country after all. then i realized mb it's that whole thing where you supersize your mcdonald's then get a giant diet coke or w/e

anyway, in canada we have diet cola (coke/pepsi), and usually that's it. occasionally you'll see diet sprite, and even more rarely diet ginger ale. you can get diet nestea at some grocery stores too, but i've never seen it in a restaurant. but that's it. to get diet dr pepper, root beer or cream soda you have to go to a place that imports foreign pops (which are common here, b/c a lot of south asian immigrants/1st-gens want like the 20 flavours of fanta that you can find in india). but in america there's literally everything. diet cream soda-style root beer? yep. diet cherry 7up? big time. diet caffeine-free cherry vanilla coke? you know it bro. we don't even have those as non-diet flavours in canada

one of the most american things i ever saw was a walgreen's selling doritos-flavoured mountain dew
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

the other weird thing about the states is all the regional junk food...... why??? in chicago there are several brands that you can ONLY find in the midwest, or even ONLY in chicago

that being said, these are way better than hot cheetos:

rischka

Post by rischka »

:lol: you're reminding me of my mom's face when we were in dubai (or wherever) and they didn't have coke zero :lol: like she doesn't even know it's literally the same as diet coke

ANTIFA 4-EVA

MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

I think they do taste subtly different, actually, though I've never tried doing it with my eyes closed.
rischka

Post by rischka »

yet probably not worth making an embarrassing scene over. my mom is queen of karens sad to say

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

oh god pringles are so gross, i can't eat them whatever flavour, the texture makes me gag bleugh

what i have occasionally wondered tho, for the coffee drinkers around the world, is do you grind your own beans or buy pre-ground? i usually just get preground because that's less stuff to clean up in my kitchen, but wondering if my morning coffee is therefore a fundamentally different experience from other peoples.
flip

Post by flip »

everyone in my immediate family grinds their coffee. it is fairly dramatically better than store-bought ground coffee for sure. i buy ground coffee because grinding beans is loud, grinding them is work, and i just don't care enough. :)
flip

Post by flip »

and i've actually been drinking 'cowboy coffee' (i think that's an official name) for about a year now, coffee made with no special apparatus, kind of like unfiltered smokes i guess. just pour hot water on the grounds in a cup, stir, let it settle and sit a few minutes, drink until it gets gritty. a friend gave me an aeropress coffeemaker when i was nomadic and i ran out of filters and didn't know where to get more of the things and couldn't order them without a home address, and then i got used to the new brew method. only seems to work with a very fine grind, i use lavazza, probably wouldn't work well with beans ground at home
sally

Post by sally »

that is true anarchy
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Re: stop the lists 3.0

Post by Curtis, baby »

i grind. always. i grind my coffee, my teeth, and my skateboard, and i hustle hard in the rap game EVERY DAY
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

I used to buy pre-ground but have recently bought a grinder for 40 quid and it's a game-changer, honestly. Yes, it's loud, but it's no real work - takes a few seconds (plus a few seconds to refill every few days) and the coffee tastes better and the kitchen smells like fresh coffee, real win/win.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

part of me hates to travel cuz i’m always incredibly sad to leave the place i visited
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

what do you guys like to drink? besides pop of course

my fav is mik. i like good milk, and similarly to how i can't rly tell good coffee from bad coffee i very much CAN make that distinction with milk. i only buy from local dairies (there's one company that's been my fav forever). rn i'm fucking with 1% but i go through different moods. also get chocolate milk from this company... best choc milk ever

not a huge fan of juice. i do rly love REAL pineapple juice (i.e. not from concentrate) but the store near my new pad doesn't sell it. sad!

i don't know anything about wine, but generally like most wines. i think there's a small correlation b/w the price and how i like the taste, but it's not super significant or consistent

brewskis? you better believe i like the brewskis. when i go out i get something on tap, usually a local IPA or lager. my fav microbrew is actually lagunitas, an IPA from california, but you rarely see it here, and definitely not on tap. also sometimes in the mood for a blonde ale. pilsners are ok I GUESS. but fuck ALL saisons, sours and other shit that tastes like fruit

but when i'm grabbing a 6 and heading to a friend's or something? no IPA pour moi, no sir! i'm fucking with a shitty lager. my fav is corona, but all shitty mexican lagers are awesome. red stripe is great. not a huge fan of canadian/american trash beers, but molson, bud heavy, and of course, pbr are all pretty fire

if it's liquor, my fav is tequila. holy crap tequila is good. shots of tequila, margs, other tequila-based cocktails, w/e. fire. i like gin too, but not shots, but for highballs i'm probably fucking with gin. my go-to is gin w/ pineapple & a slice of lime. i call it a "snoop lion", cos you know, snoop dogg did the song gin of juice...about gin and OJ...but then he was snoop lion for a while when he went to jamaica...so yeah, it's a snoop lion

i'm fucking poor so i don't drink liquers but obvs they are like the tastiest shit ever. disaronno on the rocks? no fuck that shit. when i first went to USA, i missed canada so i was drinking lots of canadian doctors: crown royal, disaronno, dr pepper
flip

Post by flip »

coffee, guava juice, and water mostly, really not drinking alcohol much these days but when i do it's czech beer or bourbon, or laphroaig if there's any around, that's the good stuff
brian d

Post by brian d »

i usually drink white or green tea, i like dry red wines, trappist beer (can't get that where i live though) but definitely not IPA, and same as flip i like smoky scotch. i don't like bourbon but i do like rye. i grew up in a house with parents who didn't drink coffee and never got into it in high school/college, so to this day i know i've had cappuccino but i can't remember ever drinking a regular cup of coffee.

my favorite flavor of chip was always sour cream and onion, but i also can't stand anything with real sour cream on it.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

MrCarmady wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 pm i also love dr pepper zero
Dr. Pepper 10 is a way of life.

Unfortunately, It's a way of life not sold in Denver.
:lboxd:
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

flip wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:58 am really not drinking alcohol much these days
Hoping you take a cheat night the next time in Toronto!!
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

i love booze in all its forms. top hits: lager (especially augustiner / tegernseer / giesinger and other munich breweries, partly because i'm from there and feel patriotic, partly because their beer simply kicks ass, is reasonably priced and served in large quantities; but i'll drink anything apart from the shittest lagers - love asahi, pilsner urquell, brooklyn lager, sam adams, camden hells, red stripe, etc.); ale (ipas, bitters, amber ales - i usually go for local london beers or some american classics like lagunitas or sierra nevada); whisky (anything from the peatiest scotch to bourbon or rye)

not a huge fan of gin or vodka normally but they're great in a good cocktail, like a bloody mary or a bramble or whatever. i like good tequila, both on its own and in a margarita, but i don't know shit about tequila.

speaking of bloody marys, i love spiced tomato juice / virgin marys, will often mix one when i'm trying to cut down on alcohol. been having a bunch of alcohol-free brewdog beers lately according to the same principle, they're pretty decent (one of them is called nanny state which is a great name for an alc-free beer). i'm lactose intolerant so shouldn't drink milk so i usually go for black coffee, though oat milk is a decent occasional substitute. oh, and i've been drinking a bunch of grapefruit juice recently.
flip

Post by flip »

will do! but it wouldn't be cheating, it's not a rule or anything, i just don't drink alone and pandemic