kinoeye quotidian

Umbugbene

Re: kinoeye quotidian

Post by Umbugbene »

I haven't shared anything in Kinoeye Quotidian since I moved to the Philippines. Here are a few shots from recent walks:

Looking out over the jungle

Bamboo canopy over the road

A café for mountain bikers. I was shocked to find a banner for Cuzco Kola, a bubblegum-flavored Peruvian soft drink. In Peru they call it Inca Kola, and it's more popular there than Coke or Pepsi... but this is almost the opposite side of the world (Bangkok and Lima are almost exact antipodes).

The whole Metro Manila skyline... I took this today just before the covid curfew

Quezon City with the mountains of Bataan in the background
sally

Post by sally »

umbugbene those are amazing! remember to post here more often!

and R, aw bunny! also bearing in mind your pig problem, this evening i saw this cheery snuffling fellow

also i am still trying to find that location as previously mentioned and i have circled that fucking spur in every direction and i still can't find this precise spot. it's driving me crazy. i've started stopping at random houses if people are outside and showing them the pic and demanding they help. and they do. except everyone says something different. a nice man i interrupted randomly hammering an enormous piece of metal even tried sending me to the next valley over. nonsense.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:00 pm and i also wondered if they'd hired jiri as location scout...
i was never making my livelihood as a part of any film crew but when i looked into my snapshot deposit, in a folder "July 2015", i found something that can reinforce the reputation of SCFZ as SUPER COINCIDENCE (or SUPER CLAIRVOYANCE) FILM ZONE.

in July 2015, i was actually making very similar pics (of figures adorning the facades of local houses).
i can't upload everything, so here is at least a snipet.

but there are not only female figures on local facades.
on a building that serves as a headquarter of the local Ministry of Trade and Industry, one can encounter these male nudes.
i see, next to the last snapshot there is the following 2015 caption "seems like this guy didn't respect the principles of work safety and for his negligence paid a painful tax". (however, as i aggregated 3 snapshots here the semi-castration is imperceptible.)

but ofc female nudes prevail.
these ladies are adorning a building that served in the 1920s (upon its completion) as a bank.
thus these nudes were luring lustful patriarchs to deposit their assets in the bank.
my captions from 2015: "as opposed to lateral side where figures in lower storey are dressed and only figures on highers positions are nude on the frontal facade is displayed nudity right from the ground" & "temptresses luring clients to enter the banking system"

however, the same building offers also a few male nudes.
(1920s bankers being aware their potential clients might be even some rich widows.)

one can find on local facades also figures that are somewhat zoomorphic.

as far as animals are concerned, lions are prominent.

which doesn't mean frogs are utterly omitted from the repertoire of the local facade decorations.

my fav animal entrance guardians are probably two baroque eagles guarding nowadays Italian embassy.
i didn't took a pic in 2015, so here is a random pic i found online.

but back to my own 2015 snapshots.
not only free-standing sculptures but also reliefs with figures adorn local facades.
i captured f.e. a charming lady with artistic leanings or f.e. a nude thoughtful man (no, he is not sitting on a toilet).

during my July 2015 stroll, i was also passing next to a building that served in the past as a headquarter of the local insurance company.
one can know that from words on the facade.
completely up one can decipher letters P R A H A (encircling the upper windows) = PRAGUE.
then one can read POJIŠŤUJE (INSURES - word in the middle - one storey lower - inbetween two owls).
and from left to right: ŽIVOT (LIFE), KAPITÁL (CAPITAL), DŮCHOD (PENSION), VĚNO (DOWRY).
however, the most mysterious riddle on the facade is a dwarf on the balcony on the completely right (at the same height as owls and POJIŠŤUJE).
i captured the dwarf in detail and was contemplating what insurance-related subliminal message he (and the girl who makes his counterpart) carries???

however, as the most disturbing & enigmatic figural relief, i consider this one (slightly covered by dirt).
my 2015 caption says, "this couple (of disparate ages) looks quite dirty. not only due to the thick layer of dust, but as the girl has quite sad expression on her face and exposes only one breast, i sense a certain reluctance to enter a truly intimate relationship with her partner (holding a hammer). i sense some disturbing atmosphere of domestic abuse here - guy is belligerent type and frustrated girl gave up caring about being fully attractive for her aging & rough beau and also gave up doing home chores (especially vacuum cleaning) completely sinking into apathy."

not to end up on a depressive tone, here is one more random snapshot.
rischka

Post by rischka »

LOL prague seems like a wondrous place. hope to visit one day
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

rischka wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:47 pm LOL prague seems like a wondrous place. hope to visit one day
i hope, it will happen prior to my pension (i.e. my moving to a non-spectacular village in Eastern Bohemia). :)
rischka

Post by rischka »

me too. and to clear up a previous misconception, those aren't feral hogs which are an actual problem in some southern states (ha greg) they are javelina aka peccary and only distantly related to pigs. and they live throughout central and south america. maya kept herds of peccary for food and i have eaten it (once). good tamales!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

in any case, all of them are descendants of Sri Varahadeva, the all-mighty pig...
sally

Post by sally »

found myself in the old graveyard this evening so thought i'd get the obligatory celeb shot (too late to be sussex tourist, but yorkshire, i can do):

although the cooler celeb is the hanged man (1770)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cragg_Vale_Coiners

then i just liked the sweeter rougher one next to him (who are W & H ♥, who died in 1703, and who in 1734?)

there's love all over the place in the 1700's here (1736 to be precise, H & E of family F?)

and the oldest date i could find, lonely JB (1578, if the sun had let me)

greennui

Post by greennui »

Did you rub out Hughes? I like those long, descriptive gravestones.
sally

Post by sally »

excuse me? lol, i'm a ted fan but....

her grave is a slightly contested site, i think the family have given up fixing it

was horribly struck by the relatively slow expansion of the graveyard up until 2020, when suddenly there's a whole swathe of shiny new markers....
greennui

Post by greennui »

Couldn't find a non-sexual wording for that!
rischka

Post by rischka »

it's a magnificent day and i am never leaving my lil desert home again 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

https://twitter.com/rbgscfz/status/1407 ... 33637?s=20

saw some quail w/babies 2 but i was 2 slow :cry: these 2 were just moseying

and me being me i slowed way down and asked them 'where u guys going' but they only grunted

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

first sunny day in ages, but it's windy!

someone got some video of what soaked me earlier today, bloody flying stream

https://twitter.com/LandscapeStory/stat ... 5293495297
sally

Post by sally »

finally feels like spring. hebden has the sakura vibe going

sally

Post by sally »

can't compete with rischka's glorious blue skies & desert-drenched dust today, but i have had my own 'buttercup valley' :)

also the wild garlic is starting to flower, and if even i can smell it, it must be an incredible pong (must be a difficult time for my garlic-aroused perma-shag neighbours)...some will be going in the dinner tonight anyway

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

wanted to eulogize the "buttercup valley" and "wild garlic" yesterday already.
but, after spending the whole day at work and then, while going home, making a detour to the swimming pool and swimming there extensively in chlorinated water, all i was able to do (after arriving home) was write something like "i love to chew the wild garlic leafs raw" and then fell asleep (without clicking "submit").
when i woke up (about 30 min later) and saw what i wrote and saw my write-up is still awaiting its completion and submission i thought "better to sleep on it" and postponed the eulogy till today.
i mean i like both pictures!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

trying to quote this post i accidentally deleted it.
so, what follows is a rudimental restoration (i am unable to recall the captions in full)...

newly planted wild garlic in the shade of hazelnuts

these days, the most spectacular dude

"cat nest" in catnip

stork
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Sun May 22, 2022 8:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
sally

Post by sally »

god bless those garlic plants ♥ (& the catnip)

what's the purple flower?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i have no clue what it is called.
it was there in the garden already prior to me taking over the gardening.
and because i didn't plant it originally (only let it a bit spread) i am not familiar with its taxonomy.
sometimes i am curious what the plant is called but sometimes i don't care (and just call it yellow dude, pink dude, red dude, etc, etc).

btw. forgot to mention that Ingrid Bergman (the rose) → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_%27Ingrid_Bergman%27 that i planted last autumn survived in my pleasure-garden her first winter and there is a good hope she will bloom later this year.

unfortunately, out of 5 new echinaceas i planted last autumn too only 2 survived their first winter.
have to plant 3 once again.
and have to investigate if there are some echinaceas called after some famous actors/actresses and eventually provide Ingrid a good company.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

the dude is probably some type of iris → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(plant)
rischka

Post by rischka »

aww i'd forgotten this thread <3 <3 <3 i use an android app called leafsnap that works most of the time but i don't garden. some things grow anyway xD

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

i didn't know my photos would be so huge :lol: i'm going to the high mtns next week, i'll get to the woods for a change!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

the enchanting cactus fully deserves this huge photo!!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i captured this pic ↓ with LeafSnap and, as the first option, it offers "iris graminea" → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_graminea and i think it might be right.
It has several common names, including grass-leaved flag, grass leaved iris, plum iris and plum tart iris (due to its scent).
faute de mieux wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:55 pm the dude is probably some type of iris → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(plant)
sally

Post by sally »

if there hadn't have been a fence between me and these charging bastards, i'd be as flat as a 1902 comedy steamroller short. i HATE cows!

but the honeysuckle is blooming!

and the buttercups are silly now

idk wtf is wrong with my phone camera. i changed the setting to low quality when i was running out of memory, but i cleared some space and changed it back but it doesn't seem to have realised. i'm not buying a new phone just cuz it's arguing with me. i HATE technology!
sally

Post by sally »

nrh

Post by nrh »

queens looking verdant after afternoon downpour

and then a little desolate just a 5 minute walk away

politics!
sally

Post by sally »

love those urban shots, they seem so exotic!

this is basically the entirety of hebden tonight (you can play guess my roof, a fun game with absolutely no pay-off)

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »