Post by nrh »

lud-in-the-mist, hope mirrlees
the plains, gerald murnane
jerry cornelius: his lives and his times, michael moorcock
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Re: What did you read last month?

Post by Curtis, baby »

not only did i read a book last month (first time since april 2020) but i read TWO!!!!

the ballad of the sad cafe (carson mccullers) - 10/10
something i’ve been meaning to tell you (alice munro) - 9/10

what about this month? will i read 12? 55? the world is my frigging oyster
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
wba

Post by wba »

July 2021

Imperium (Robert Harris / 2006 / UK / English / English)
Betty [translated by Elisabeth Edl, Wolfgang Matz] (Georges Simenon / 1961 / France / French / German) ♥
Franzosenliebchen (Jan Zweyer / 2007 / Germany / German / German)
Ameisenberg (Heinrich Wolfgang Seidel / 1914 / Germany / German / German) :hearteyes:
Harmonie (Eduard von Keyserling / 1905 / Germany / German / German)
Sankt Georgs Stellvertreter (Rudolf Georg Binding / 1920 / Germany / German / German) ♥
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
nrh

Post by nrh »

tales of neveryon, samuel r. delany
all those vanished engines, paul park
montage, mrinal sen
wba

Post by wba »

August

Rhonda Fleming – Queen of the B’s (Robert Zion / 2020 / Germany / German / German)
Inochi urimasu “Leben zu verkaufen“ [translated by Nora Bierich] (Yukio Mishima / 1968 / Japan / Japanese / German)
Karoo Boy “Malindi“ [translated by Michael Kleeberg] (Troy Blacklaws / 2004 / South Africa / English / German)
Das Werther-Thema in Hamsuns „Mysterien“ (Frank Thiess / 1957 / West Germany / German / German) ♥
Freizeitliteratur. Eine Fastenpredigt (Hans Erich Nossack / 1959 / West Germany / German / German)
Der Bucherfolg. Ursprung und Wandel (Frank Thiess / 1960 / West Germany / German / German)
Walt Whitman (Fritz Usinger / 1957 / West Germany / German / German)
Yao “Die Arznei“ [translated by Johanna Herzfeldt] (Xun Lu / 1919 / China / Chinese / German) ♥
Fan “Reis“ [translated by Sylvia Nagel] (Shengtao Ye / 1921 / China / Chinese / German)
Der Dichter Ernst Barlach (Walter Muschg / 1958 / West Germany / German / German)
Die Weltkritik von Franz Kafka (Wilhelm Emrich / 1958 / West Germany / German / German)
Baby Love (Silvia Szymanski / 1999 / Germany / German / German) ♥
Der Hochwald (Adalbert Stifter / 1841, 1844 / Austrian Empire / German / German) :hearteyes:
Die weiße Pest (Hermynia zur Mühlen / 1926 / Germany / German / German)
Balta drobulė “Das weiße Leintuch“ [translated by Claudia Sinnig] (Antanas Škėma / 1958 / UK / Lithuanian / German)
Heimweh (Franz Jung / 1927 / Germany / German / German)
Die Wupper (Else Lasker-Schüler / 1909 / Germany / German / German) ♥
Elberfeld im Wuppertal (Else Lasker-Schüler / 1925 / Germany / German / German) ♥
Heinz Rühmann (Manfred Barthel / 1958 / West Germany / German / German)
Himmelsvolk (Waldemar Bonsels / 1915 / Germany / German / German) :hearteyes:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I can never read a lot AND watch a lot of films during a given Month. But 3 is actually above average for me.

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyoder Dostoevsky
L’Amour - Marguerite Duras
Sugar Street - Naguib Mahfouz

I somehow was not aware that L’Amour was the source material for Woman of the Ganges. So that was a fun surprise.
Last edited by Monsieur Arkadin on Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Monsieur Arkadin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:47 am I can never read a lot AND watch a lot of films during a given Month.
I relate to this. Obviously, time is a big factor, but I think for me there's also a strange psychological aspect: if I'm reading a lot, I'm not motivated to watch movies, and if I'm watching a lot of movies, my motivation to read dwindles. I wish I could find a way to do both more, but instead I tend to switch between Read Mode and Movie Mode.
wba

Post by wba »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 pm
Monsieur Arkadin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:47 am I can never read a lot AND watch a lot of films during a given Month.
I relate to this. Obviously, time is a big factor, but I think for me there's also a strange psychological aspect: if I'm reading a lot, I'm not motivated to watch movies, and if I'm watching a lot of movies, my motivation to read dwindles. I wish I could find a way to do both more, but instead I tend to switch between Read Mode and Movie Mode.
Same here. I have started to read a lot (100+ books a year) about three years ago, which was only possible because my film watching at the same time went down from 600+ a year to 200+.
So I might be able to watch a film a day and read a lot if time permits over the course of a year, but if I#d try to double my film watching my reading habits would suffer, and vice versa. I definitely couldn't read 200+ books a year AND watch 700 films.
I guess one should try and find a balance, but so far I haven't managed that in the past 20+ years.
Right now, I'm more or less on a hiatus as a cinephile since 2019 - only watching very few films (about 20 per month) but reading 5 times more than I used to during my active cinephile days.
Maybe I'll be able to find a balance when I am older or retired from work. :|
Ideal for me would probably be something like 200 books a year AND 700 films. But then the kids would have to be grown up and I would have to work less. So it's probably a plan for the future.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

wba wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:51 pm
Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 pm
Same here. I have started to read a lot (100+ books a year) about three years ago, which was only possible because my film watching at the same time went down from 600+ a year to 200+.
So I might be able to watch a film a day and read a lot if time permits over the course of a year, but if I#d try to double my film watching my reading habits would suffer, and vice versa. I definitely couldn't read 200+ books a year AND watch 700 films.
I guess one should try and find a balance, but so far I haven't managed that in the past 20+ years.
Right now, I'm more or less on a hiatus as a cinephile since 2019 - only watching very few films (about 20 per month) but reading 5 times more than I used to during my active cinephile days.
Maybe I'll be able to find a balance when I am older or retired from work. :|
Ideal for me would probably be something like 200 books a year AND 700 films. But then the kids would have to be grown up and I would have to work less. So it's probably a plan for the future.
Ah well, it's a comfort to hear I'm not alone with this. I'm trying to read more (won't hit 100+ this year, but that's the pace I'm trying to get to), and it's looking like I'll only be around 200 feature films logged, so glad to hear that's normal. 200 books and 700 films would be the best of both worlds, of course :D !
brian d

Post by brian d »

not as many as normal, had too much going on in real life, but i did read some of the best things i've read all year:

july
the driver's seat (muriel spark) ***
on the silver globe - part 1 of the lunar trilogy (jerzy zulawski) *****
doctor fischer of geneva (graham greene) **
the man who lived underground (richard wright) *****
mildred pierce (james m cain) **
an apprenticeship or the book of pleasures (clarice lispector) *****
the souls of black folk (web dubois) *****
the night circus (erin morgenstern) **
a clash of kings (george rr martin) ***

august
the bloody chamber (angela carter) ****
stamboul train (graham greene) ****
the only problem (muriel spark) ***
clarel (herman melville) **

reading the lunar trilogy is a weird experience because the translation is all kinds of problematic. it was translated by someone who apparently mostly does technical translation, not literary translation, and also who is pretty good, but not perfect, at english, so there are lots of repetitions of words, prepositions that don't work, weird phrasing, all that. and yet somehow, as clunky as it is, it works. we usually want translators to sink into the background, not be noticed when we're reading, and we want the same from narrators typically, where their grammar or syntax doesn't throw us off from what's "proper." coming across something where the translator is always noticeable is a weird thing, but really it feels like it should be the norm in a way. why shouldn't we notice that we're reading something from another language or culture, after all?
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
wba

Post by wba »

brian d wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:15 pm
reading the lunar trilogy is a weird experience because the translation is all kinds of problematic. it was translated by someone who apparently mostly does technical translation, not literary translation, and also who is pretty good, but not perfect, at english, so there are lots of repetitions of words, prepositions that don't work, weird phrasing, all that. and yet somehow, as clunky as it is, it works. we usually want translators to sink into the background, not be noticed when we're reading, and we want the same from narrators typically, where their grammar or syntax doesn't throw us off from what's "proper." coming across something where the translator is always noticeable is a weird thing, but really it feels like it should be the norm in a way. why shouldn't we notice that we're reading something from another language or culture, after all?
I've only read it in German, and it sounded fine in that language. Unfortunately I've also only read the first part (need to read the other books in the series). But it's definitely one of the best books I've ever read, not 'just' top-notch sci-fi.
But I'd say that usualy the translation definitely makes or breaks a text, cause there mostly just isn't anything to compare it to. If you're not fluent in the original language, you can't possibly imagine what the original writer might have written or intended - and if you are fluent, it would never cross your mind to read it in a "foreign" language. But I've also read obviously bad translations of stuff, and still the novel's greatness - the original writer's genius, so to speak - somehow shone through all the hapless phrasing, grammatical errors and illiterate atrocities. The last two horrible translations I read were SOUL MOUNTAIN by Nobel Prize laureate Gao Xingjian (which must have been assembled in an incredible hurry, in order to cash-in on his surprise win - the German translation I read had no less than 3 different translators officially listed in the book...) and Edogawa Rampo's BLACK LIZARD translated into English by Ian Hughes (who definitely doesn't seem to have a grip on the English language - I won't even speculate on his Japanese). Still both novels were fantastic.
Of course it's better if you happen to stumble upon a truly great and talented translator. I always write down the translators of the books I read so I can avoid or seek them out in the future.
brian d

Post by brian d »

that all makes sense to me, and definitely translation is a mostly thankless task so it's always nice when you can find translators to support due to the quality of their work. i guess it just strikes me that the ideal translator isn't the invisible translator, but the one who somehow is notably there but also not detracting from appreciating the work on its own terms the best they can. and yes, the english translation of on the silver globe gives a translation that's more problematic since you get jolted out of the story rather than the translation serving as a filter of sorts, but the work itself remains fascinating. really enjoyable as a reading experience overall.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

i just put a library hold on a couple lispectors after a friend recommended her to me
wba

Post by wba »

What a month! :o :o :o

3 new personal favorites and 3 further fantastic and outstanding books! And I haven't even mentioned the very good and very nice and very enjoyable novel by Forster.
The only ones I didn't really enjoy were the essay on literature by Thiess (too dogmatic) and the novel by Rolland (my first...) which was way too moralistic and schematic for me.

At the beginning of the month, I thought my discovery of Modiano would be the definite highlight of September (immediately read another one by him, which was also great), but whoa!!! - along came the breathtaking female novelist Hong Xiao (who died at the age of 30!) compared to whom Modiano almost seems like a little school-boy who has just discovered how to write... Xiao is clearly a major, major major discovery for me and surely one of THE best and most important writers of the 20th century. This novel alone is in-cre-di-ble!! :bow:

And then there's Ernst Kreuder, who seems like a forgotten literary genius (they really are numerous here in Germany, where great writers are seemingly forgotten more quickly than they are discovered (if ever...) over the centuries - nothing seems to change here from say the 1760s to the 1970s), and I can't wait to read more of his stuff. And of course Shirley Jackson who has written one of the most positively frustrating novels I've ever read (I actually didn't know what the fuck I had just read after finishing this, as it doesn't make any sense on so many levels but at the same time works on so many others - "lesbian love-story as told by a ghost who's living with other ghosts in a house that is not haunted" is one of them), and I absolutely need to check out all of her other stuff now.

And Hamsun, the asshole, being an asshole and writing about one, in a book that's totally unlike anything he will ever write again (for better or worse), still trying to find his voice as a writer (he would go on and write much much better stuff stylistically), realistically depicting the disease that is the frequent malnourishment through literally having nothing to eat for days, and totally eating the wrong stuff when one has some money to actually eat something. I know (some of) that state from self-experience, and yes, it is exactly like Hamsun describes it, cause you are kinda on drugs the whole time, only the experience is extremely shifty - so this is actually also one of those books about drug abuse and how you feel when you're constantly high and what happens when you try to go clean, etc. - which kinda makes the protagonist somewhat less of an asshole than the usual Hamsun protagonists (who work as a stand-in for Knut himself), I guess. If you love extremely realistic novels that deal with everyday reality from a very specific perspective, this is for you - and also if you like decadent literature where people do drugs and use their body and minds for "experiment"s, this is also for you - and if you are an egocentric asshole and want to read about one, this is for you as well (you get an extra a bonus if you are a struggling writer with lofty ideals). This book is nowhere as great as CRIME AND PUNISHMENT from Dostoevsky or THE RED ROOM by Strindberg, both of which are shamelessly plundered here, but Hamsun is already definitely as crazy as Dostoevsky or Strindberg at this point in his career (and the book is even more autobiographical).

September

La Petite Bijou “Die Kleine Bijou“ [translated by Peter Handke] (Patrick Modiano / 2001 / France / French / German) :hearteyes:
Du plus loin de l’oubli “Aus tiefstem Vergessen“ [translated by Elisabeth Edl] (Patrick Modiano / 1996 / France / French / German) ♥
The Haunting of Hill House (Shirley Jackson / 1959 / USA / English / English) ♥
Das Unbeantwortbare. Die Aufgaben des modernen Romans (Ernst Kreuder / 1959 / West Germany / German / German)
A Room with a View (E. M. Forster / 1908 / UK / English / English)
Das Wesen der Gemeinschaft in der deutschen und in der französischen Literatur (Robert Minder / 1954 / West Germany / German / German)
Über das Recht des Dichters auf freie Stoffwahl (Frank Thiess / 1954 / West Germany / German / German)
Hulanhe zhuan “Geschichten vom Hulanfluß“ [translated by Ruth Keen] (Hong Xiao / 1940 / Hong Kong / Chinese / German) :hearteyes:
Sult “Hunger“ [translated by Julius Sandmeier, Sophie Angermann] (Knut Hamsun / 1890 / Norway / Norwegian / German) ♥
Die Gesellschaft vom Dachboden (Ernst Kreuder / 1946 / Germany / German / German) :hearteyes:
Antoinette [translated by Erna Grautoff, Otto Grautoff] (Romain Rolland / 1908 / France / French / German)
brian d

Post by brian d »

the conqueror - part 2 of the lunar trilogy (jerzy zulawski) ****
monsignor quixote (graham greene) ***
los niños tontos (ana maría matute) ****
the vegetarian (han kang) **
the story of a goat (perumal murugan) **
the betrothed (alessandro manzoni) ****
nrh

Post by nrh »

august
the sleeping sorceress, michael moorcock
the gates of ivory, doris egan
two-bit heroes, doris egan
guilt edged ivory, doris egan

september
cloush & ashes, greer gilman
our kind of traitor, john le carre
the blue hammer, ross macdonald
the drought, j.g. ballard
the crystal world, j.g. ballard
concrete island, j.g. ballard
brian d

Post by brian d »

brief lives of idiots (ermanno cavazzoni) ***
at a high cost (mikhailo kotsiubynsky) ***
the conquest of plassans (émile zola) ***
a journal of the plague year (daniel defoe) *****
the lunar trilogy 3: the old earth (jerzy zuławski) **
justine (lawrence durrell) *
a confederacy of dunces (john kennedy toole) **

disappointing end of the zuławski, which turns things from science fiction and the human construction of religion and tradition into a satire of human endeavor and understanding of art. i got the defoe because of his place as one of the originators of the novel in the english tradition, and sure it's timely, but wow what an engaging read. seems a lot of people were bored with some of it from what i read online but i couldn't put it down. definitely one of my favorites for the year.
wba

Post by wba »

I just realized that I only read one really good book this month, but still thought it was a great month cause this one book was so amazing and outstanding in every possible way and it also took me a while to read the 600+ pages (though not as long as the terrible chore it was to finally finish Ippolito Nievos "The Confessions of an Italian" which was way over 1000 pages long - much too many and many of which I disliked... such a terrible book, such terrible characters... but then it was never re-written, revised or proofread, let alone published during Nievo's lifetime, which actually means that it is a fantastic first draft of a book that could have been outstanding. Many Stendhalian touches there - Nievo must have loved "The Charterhouse of Parma"). Anyways, Lange's "Black Willow" is such a strong work it easily overshadowed anything else I was reading. This guy is as good as any German writer you've (n)ever heard of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_Lange
It's probably also the best book I've read all year, relegating Buddhadeva Bose's masterwork "When the Time is RIght" to second place.

October

Vorwort. Tolle lege (Reiner Speck / 2021 / Germany / German / German)
Von Proust zu Giraudoux zu Proust (Jürgen Ritte / 2021 / Germany / German / German)
Die Göttin mit der Fackel (Theodor Däubler / 1931 / Germany / German / German)
Dshamilja [translated by Gisela Drohla] (Tschingis Aitmatow / 1958 / Soviet Union [Russia] / Russian / German)
?? “Die schönste Liebesgeschichte der Welt“ [translated by Traugott König] (Louis Aragon / 1959 / France / French / German)
Le Confessioni d’un Italiano “Pisana oder Die Bekenntnisse eines Achtzigjährigen“ [translated by Charlotte Birnbaum] (Ippolito Nievo / 1858 / Austrian Empire [Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia] / Italian / German)
Der Marmorbruch (Theodor Däubler / 1930 / Germany / German / German)
Schwarze Weide (Horst Lange / 1937 / Germany / German / German) :hearteyes:
La joueuse de go “Die Go-Spielerin“ [translated by Elsbeth Ranke] (Sa Shan / 2001 / France / French / German)
nrh

Post by nrh »

october -
ways of going home, alejandro zambra
in the forests of serre, patricia mckillip
angel with the sword, cj cherryh
the little buddhist monk, cesar aira
the proof, cesar aira
the divorce, cesar aira
written lives, javier marias
mr. fortune's maggot, sylvia townsend warner
the dealings of daniel kesserich, fritz lieber
the salutation, sylvia townsend warner
brian d

Post by brian d »

whose names are unknown (sanora babb) *****
north and south (elizabeth gaskell) **
on humanistic education (giambattista vico) ****
the trespasser (dh lawrence) **
don't look now and other stories (daphne du maurier) *****
the anarchist's workbench (christopher schwarz) *****
wba

Post by wba »

November

Schreib das auf, Wallraff! (Hans Mayer / 1987 / West Germany / German / German)
Autorenportrait Horst Lange (Götz Kubitschek / 2004 / Germany / German / German)
Herein ohne anzuklopfen (Ernst Kreuder / 1954 / West Germany / German / German) ♥
Kyra Kyralina [translated by Oskar Pastior] (Panait Istrati / 1934 / Romania / Romanian / German)
?? “Kyra Kyralina oder das Streben nach dem Guten und Schönen“ [translated by Ernest Wichner] (Mircea Cărtărescu / ?? / ?? / Romanian / German)
Valentin Follows a Curious Trail (Gilbert Keith Chesterton / 1910 / USA / English / English)
Moi Wedder end gode Fahrt! (Olaf Möller / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
Die Schwärze von Agfacolor (Anke Wilkening / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
El Chalet de las Rosas “Das Rosenschloss“ [translated by Ernst Felix Weiß] (Ramón Gómez de la Serna / 1923 / Spain / Spanish / German)
Erwachsenensprache. Über ihr Verschwinden aus Politik und Kultur (Robert Pfaller / 2017 / Germany / German / German)
wba

Post by wba »

December

Gelesener Gesang. Lyrics im Zeichen des Medienwandels (Philip Böttcher / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
»Das All dort draußen zeigt uns, wer wir sind «. Die Leseuniversen der Groschenhefte (Claudia Stockinger / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
Zwischen Naturkunden und Nerd-Ecke. Gelesene Literatur in Graphic Novels (Charlotte Kurbjuhn / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
Der letzte Zeitungsleser (Michael Angele / 2016 / Germany / German / German)
Die Gepeinigten (Horst Lange / 1933 / Germany / German / German)
Auf der Suche nach den neuen Bewegungsfiguren. Über das Lesen im Netz (Stephan Porombka / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
Gelesene Literatur. Populäre Lektüre im Medienwandel (Steffen Martus, Carlos Spoerhase [editors] / 2018 / Germany / German / German)
Duelo de alfiles “Schachnovellen“ [translated by Peter Kultzen] (Vicente Valero / 2018 / Spain / Spanish / German)
Du côté de chez Marcel Proust “In Marcel Prousts Welt“ [translated by Jürgen Ritte] (Jean Giraudoux / 1919 / France / French / German)
Jean Giraudoux. In Marcel Prousts Welt … Du côté de chez Marcel Proust (Jürgen Ritte [editor] / 2021 / Germany / German, French / French, German)
The Underground Railroad (Colson Whitehead / 2016 / USA / English / English)
Stuffing (Edgar Wallace / 1926 / USA / English / English)
Als ich Christtagsfreude holen ging (Peter Rosegger / ?? / ?? / German / German)
Am Götterbaum (Hans Pleschinski / 2021 / Germany / German / German)
L’écornifleur “Der Schmarotzer“ [translated by Manfred Müller] (Jules Renard / 1892 / France / French / German) ♥
Eine Schachpartie (Wilhelm Jensen / 1888 / Germany / German / German)
Krotkaja. Fantastičeskij rasskaz “Die Sanfte. Eine phantastische Erzählung“ [translated by Wolfgang Kasack] (Fjodor Dostojewskij / 1876 / Russia / Russian / German)
Rüdiger Safranski. Klassiker! Ein Gespräch über die Literatur und das Leben mit Michael Krüger und Martin Meyer (Michael Krüger, Martin Meyer, Rüdiger Safranski / 2019 / Germany / German / German)
Warum ich gern die Frauen in erotischen Filmen bin – Sex Trouble (Silvia Szymanski / 2016 / Germany / German / German)
Karl-Detlev [Kapitel I] (Simon Frauendorfer / 2021 / Germany / German / German) ♥
nrh

Post by nrh »

a terrible month, but reading was a pleasure.

january 2022
the n'gustro affair, jean-patrick manchette
nada, jean patrick-manchette
the prone gunman, jean-patrick manchette
ivory pearl, jean-patrick manchette
the open road, jean giono
ennemonde, jean giono
middleton sands, claire dean - short pamphlet
english heritage, m. john harrison - short pamphlet
a signal victory, david stacton
judges of the secret court, david stacton

comics -
griffu, jean-patrick manchette & jacques tardi
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

JANVIER (1)

i know why the caged bird sings (maya angelou) - 10/10
brian d

Post by brian d »

not too much recently

december:
cyropaedia (xenophon) ****
the buried giant (kazuo ishiguro) **
moby dick (herman melville) [reread] *****
the passion of new eve (angela carter) ***

january:
the western wind (samantha harvey) ****
parabola (lily hoang) *
against the physicists/against the ethicists (sextus empiricus) *****

also read the first four harry potter books right around new year's. not too impressed.
wba

Post by wba »

January 2022

The Unknown Murderer (Henry Christopher Bailey / 1923 / USA / English / English) ♥
Les Célibataires “Die Junggesellen“ [translated by Ernst Sander] (Henry de Montherlant / 1934 / France / French / German) ♥
Ausgefressen (Moritz Matthies / 2012 / Germany / German / German)
Jeder schreibt für sich allein. Schriftsteller im Nationalsozialismus (Anatol Regnier / 2020 / Germany / German / German)
Die Flucht (Ernst Barany Bjell / 1916 / Germany / German / German) :hearteyes:
Ein Wort allein für Amalia (Christoph Hein / 2020 / Germany / German / German)
Die schwarze Spinne (Jeremias Gotthelf / 1842 / Switzerland [Solothurn] / German / German)
Elsi, die seltsame Magd (Jeremias Gotthelf / 1843 / Switzerland [Bern] / German / German)
Vergeltung (Gert Ledig / 1956 / West Germany / German / German)
The Maltese Falcon (Dashiell Hammett / 1930 / USA / English / English)
Le Livre de Christophe Colomb “Das Buch von Christoph Columbus“ [translated by Edwin Maria Landau] (Paul Claudel / 1927 / France / French / German) ♥
Calamity in Kent (John Rowland / 1950 / UK / English / English)
wba

Post by wba »

February 2022

Der traurige Prinz (Michael Degen / 2015 / Germany / German / German)
The Archduke's Tea (Henry Christopher Bailey / 1920 / UK / English / English)
The Sleeping Companion (Henry Christopher Bailey / 1920 / UK / English / English)
The Nice Girl (Henry Christopher Bailey / 1920 / UK / English / English)
L’herbe des nuits “Gräser der Nacht“ [translated by Elisabeth Edl] (Patrick Modiano / 2012 / France / French / German)
L’homme traqué “Der Gehetzte” [translated by Fred Antoine Angermayer] (Francis Carco / 1922 / France / French / German)
By Myself (Lauren Bacall / 1978 / USA / English / English)
brian d

Post by brian d »

renaissance polyphony (fabrice fitch) *****
the true levellers standard advanced and other writings (gerrard winstanley) ****
a storm of swords (george rr martin) ***
harry potter and the order of the phoenix (jk rowling) *
the chess set in the mirror (massimo bontempelli) ***
nrh

Post by nrh »

people of the book, david stacton
th white: a biography, sylvia townsend warner
clairvoyant of the small: the life of robert walser, susan bernofsky
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

FEB (1)
song of solomon (toni morrison) - 10/10

weak!! THIS MONTH I WILL READ MULTIPLE!! I WILL DO IT!!