pens and paper

nrh

pens and paper

Post by nrh »

a very boring thread.

sort of in love with these twsbi fountain pens - they look clunky and even a little bit cheap in photos but in practice they work very beautifully, can't recommend more highly for anyone looking to get an affordable fountain pen. it's a piston system so it gets ink from bottle, but i've found you can write like 10 pages or so with one fill. ink is robert oestler lake of fire fwiw.

greennui

Re: pens and paper

Post by greennui »

My crusty morning eyes first read the thread title as 'penis and power'. That is all.
rischka

Post by rischka »

Are u guys trying to make Sally leave again 😠

Pilot G2 is my go-to. Never used a fountain pen. Looks messy
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

eh? i have no problem with either pens or greennui's crusty visions, but can only mourn the sad sensuality of my own handwriting that i can barely read anymore. i'm left-handed so prone to continual smudges and stains as well, but still persist with fountain pens of generic & no name brand because it's just so nice to write with such softly flowing ink.

wonder how many generations we are away from stopping writing at all

someone must have written some nice essays on handwriting etc????
nrh

Post by nrh »

also left handed and oddly find myself smearing less with fountain pen ink than with gel pens, those pilot g2 pens are alright but in the few years i used them i legitimately thought i'd die young not from all the femmes femmes hedonism but from the steady ink absorbtion on my left wrist.

always interesting to me that friends who've grown up in other countries learned to write with fountain pens, i don't think i'd ever even seen one until i was in my late 20s.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Left-handed champs, unite! That's some nice handwriting. I have not touched a fancy a fancy pen since high school.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

In grade one we got a new teacher in like March all of a sudden. First day, she sits us down. She asks us a question: "which fruit can you write with?" Nobody says anything. Nobody knows. She prods us. Cajoles us to throw out guesses. Nobody dares. I don't think any of us had any clue. Finally, she tells us. Big smile on her face. "A ballpoint banana!"

One of the more fucked experiences of my life
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
nrh

Post by nrh »

kanafani wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm Left-handed champs, unite! That's some nice handwriting. I have not touched a fancy a fancy pen since high school.
did you learn to write with a fountain pen in high school?
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

nrh wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:05 pm
kanafani wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm Left-handed champs, unite! That's some nice handwriting. I have not touched a fancy a fancy pen since high school.
We had to write our homework and exams with this type of pen, called a 'stylo' in french.
-stylo-plume-parker-35-milleraies-argent-800.jpg
-stylo-plume-parker-35-milleraies-argent-800.jpg (28.76 KiB) Viewed 916 times
The pen took cartilages like these:
56ff99b8b3970b30d525ec2a-large.jpg
56ff99b8b3970b30d525ec2a-large.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 916 times
I've had many of these cartilages explode or leak on my hand or clothes.

I remember we were forced to use this kind of pen early on. In the final year or two of high school, we used the more practical and less romantic disposable Bic pen
nrh

Post by nrh »

weirdly i've never had any issues with those cartridges, but have seen traumatic accidents with the bic disposable pens. both with young men in high school who chewed them, and had the ink explode in their mouth, causing them to go running to the bathroom with dark blue liquid streaming from their mouth like some kind of cheap horror movie effect.
sally

Post by sally »

i get confused by what age high school means so. up until 11 all us kids wrote with these, and they had they most satisfyingly chewable lids and ends

then on age 11 my parents proudly presented me with a fairly expensive parker fountain pen, which i promptly broke. but continued with similar ones after that. interspersed with the odd emergency bic (biros to me). but as far as i can remember the school didn't give a toss which pen we used although they drew the line at pencil.

a banana ballpoint?? i hope you at least got a novelty rubber out of that class. (do you call them rubbers? erasers?)
nrh

Post by nrh »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:48 pm novelty rubber out of that class. (do you call them rubbers? erasers?)
rubbers are condoms in us
sally

Post by sally »

of course they are, sorry! there's a disciplinary complaint waiting to happen with a british supply teacher LOL
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

ohhh we should do a handwriting thread (or just hijack this one, with nrh’s permission)! handwriting seems to say so much about a person; and strangely, the handwriting above seems like nrh... (ofc now it won’t turn out to be nrh’s handwriting, and i’ll have made yet another post that i’ll live to regret)
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

in uni i just used these erasable bad boys, for editing purposes...

...since uni i have not been handwriting anymore, as i am a toddler
sally

Post by sally »

faintly astonished to discover that dickens does his g's like i do. i picked it up from a physics teacher but now wondering if it's just an old-fashioned way of doing it

https://twitter.com/BCDreyer/status/1358451560636948481
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

the main reason my cinephilia is currently on the decline is as follows.
fontstruct, i.e. the other online playground of mine (i already mentioned it in another thread), recently introduced colors.
https://twitter.com/FontStruct/status/1 ... 80577?s=20

and since then i am obsessively making various colorful versions of my digital "handwriting" (and hardly watch any movies).

however, as we know, the nature of all the manias (or addictions) is they can't be nurtured infinitely (without cessation).
so, i expect my current passion for making colorful alphabets will fade away with time (and at one point my cinephilia will undergo a glorious revival).
Otello Cagliostro

Post by Otello Cagliostro »

kanafani wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:23 pm
nrh wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:05 pm
We had to write our homework and exams with this type of pen, called a 'stylo' in french.
-stylo-plume-parker-35-milleraies-argent-800.jpg

The pen took cartilages like these:
56ff99b8b3970b30d525ec2a-large.jpg

I've had many of these cartilages explode or leak on my hand or clothes.

I remember we were forced to use this kind of pen early on. In the final year or two of high school, we used the more practical and less romantic disposable Bic pen
Same for me also did my school years in france, might buy one back the "stylo plume" has a really nice feeling of smoothness the Japanese Muji pen is really great and apparently world renowned