Haphazard travels of Sirman Deville across the Sprachraum

niminy-piminy

Re: Cinema of German "Sprachraum"

Post by niminy-piminy »

wba wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm Btw., if you didn't know, Thome is keeping an internet diary/blog/journal since 2003 on his website, where he mostly posts pictures and films about nature and the estate he lives on: https://moana.de/Blog/Tagebuch/2021/Tag ... 00221.html
I didn't know. Thx for mentioning it! I like it.
DIARY was subtitled this month.
DIARY and BERLIN CHAMISSOPLATZ are my two fav Thomes now.
I have seen 12 so far.
THE MICROSCOPE, SEVEN WOMEN (this is the only Thome so far that was irritating/annoying to me), THE PHILOSOPHER.
SUPERGIRL - THE GIRL FROM THE STARS, RED SUN, DETECTIVE, STRANGE CITY.
THE VISIBLE AND THE INVISIBLE, THE SECRET.
Since i also watched MADE IN GERMANY AND U.S.A. in the past, DIARY (now), and the third in the loose trilogy is DESCRIPTION OF AN ISLAND, my next is gonna be DESCRIPTION OF AN ISLAND, i guess.
Btw. i watched CYCLING THE FRAME by Cynthia Beatt recently (for the 1988 poll) but when i stumbled upon her name during my readings about DIARY (prior to watching the film), it still didn't click within my mind she is the same person. Only the next day after finishing DIARY, i still had a persistent feeling i should google her name and only then i "discovered" the connection and suddenly all the trivia related to CYCLING THE FRAME and DIARY made "more sense". :)
P.S. I felt there is something "French" about him, but as i didn't watch anything by Jacques Doillon yet, it was impossible for me to sense or see this analogy — so, thx for pointing it out! I will try some Jacques Doillon with Rudolf Thome on my mind.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wba

Post by wba »

Ha! Haven't seen 8 of your Thomes! :-)
My favorites are RED SUN, DETECTIVE, PINK, WOMAN DRIVING - MAN SLEEPING, and THE SUNGODESS.
Cynthia Beatt and Thome were togther for some years I believe. Therefore they also both co-directed DESCRIPTION OF AN ISLAND, Thome's only documentary.

Doillon is something else, though. Enter with care! ;-)
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

In DIARY Eduard (played by Thome) is a photographer who is trying to make a photo book about Berlin.
When Ottilie (Cynthia Beatt) arrives in the shared flat, she is curious about the Berlin Wall (wants to see it from the balcony) and other places of the city.
Together they roam Berlin, taking pictures here and there.

In Cynthia Beatt's CYCLING THE FRAME (1988) Tilda Swinton is cycling along the Berlin Wall, making a sort of psychogeographical exploration.

Related to DIARY it is good to be aware of the CYCLING THE FRAME and vice versa.
DIARY can be taken as a "prequel" to CYCLING THE FRAME, CYCLING THE FRAME as an "extra" to DIARY. :)

Now, i am looking forward to how (their common) DESCRIPTION OF AN ISLAND fits into all of this.

https://youtu.be/RY0lMlo3Xmk
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

DESCRIPTION OF AN ISLAND • BESCHREIBUNG EINER INSEL (Rudolf Thome, Cynthia Beatt, 1979)

In DIARY (Rudolf Thome, 1975) the main protagonist is compiling a photo book about Berlin, here the pretext is to make a book about Ureparapara island (part of New Hebrides, nowadays Vanuatu).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ureparapara

About in the middle, KAVA was finally prepared and drunk (in all-around darkness — to prevent the disturbing excitation of senses).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava
Effects of consumption:
When the mixture is not too strong, the subject attains a state of happy unconcern, well-being and contentment, free of physical or psychological excitement.
Somehow, while watching this 3 hours long film, i ultimately achieved the "happy unconcern" state of mind as well.
So, (seems like) to anyone who has no access to psychoactive KAVA drink, this ethnofiction can be offered as a substitute.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

‎TIGERSTRIPE BABY IS WAITING FOR TARZAN • TIGERSTREIFENBABY WARTET AUF TARZAN (Rudolf Thome, 1998)

Title (of the film) is taken from the title of the book written by a fictional character Laura Luna (published by the fictional female publisher played (with charm) by Irm Hermann).

Melodramatic storyline (of this film) vastly benefits from the German natural propensity for intricate schemes, charts, and diagrams.
1/ Time traveler Frank is picked up by Luise and Theo while on their way to Berlin.
2/ Frank wants to find author Laura Luna and take her to the future with him.
3/ Frank finds Laura and they become a couple.
4/ But Luise shows up and makes it a menage a trois.

As has already been proven beyond doubt in this thread (viz THE GOLD OF LOVE, Eckhart Schmidt), extraordinary dancing scenes are not unusual in the cinema of German Sprachraum. ‎TIGERSTRIPE BABY IS WAITING FOR TARZAN is no exception. The dancing scene (of this film) alone is a sufficient excuse not to miss this memorable film from the past (1998) in which the key role plays a seductive time-traveler from the future (he is 1214 years old — btw. in the future women are extinct, men became immortal & are bored, and thus they travel into the past).
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

JUST MARRIED (Rudolf Thome, 1998)
https://letterboxd.com/film/just-married-1998/

When Ltbxd's synopsis says it is a story of a "filmmaker" and a "daughter of a filmmaker" it is just another of the Ltbxd's shortcomings.
The truth is, it is a love story of "Cinema Princess" (daughter of the owner of several Berlin cinema theaters) and "Cinema Prince" (entrepreneur doing the business in the same field as the father of his beloved).

Cinema Princ and Cinema Princess marry, go on a honeymoon (to the sea in Italy), and speak about their dreams...

However, the moment Cinema Prince says to Cinema Princess, "You smell good," I could smell the upcoming adultery because I watched in recent past Rudolf Thome's TIGERSTRIPE BABY IS WAITING FOR TARZAN (1998) that was not only made in the same years as JUST MARRIED but Cinema Prince (from JM) was the same person as time-traveler (from TBIWFT) — both played by Herbert Fritsch.
And I could recall that Cinema Prince said exactly the same phrase to another woman before (in the other film)...

My suspicion of adultery has been ultimately proven because Cinema Princess (having a clairvoyant dream — seeing in her dream Cinema Prince with another woman) hired a private detective who proved both my and Cinema Princess's suspicions.

Not gonna reveal anything more but I can say all ends well.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

Der Filmalchemist Jürgen Reble
(Vimeo channel of Film Museum München)

DAS SCHÖPFWERK (2011)
LIQUID MOVEMENTS (2011)
CHEMICAL INTERVENTION IN (FILM) HISTORY (2019)

first, i rewatched DAS SCHÖPFWERK.
i like the film (full of past mysteries & flying owl) but it was the least interesting out of these 3.
(tho maybe just because this movie i already watched and the other 2 not yet.)

LIQUID MOVEMENTS shows something i already noticed in some Zanzibar Group entries or in Pasolini's OEDIPUS REX (for example).
an effort to deal with one own (contemporary, western, European, etc.) experience by sewing it seamlessly together with something ancient, archetypal, etc. (sought in Africa).
in this case, it is random documentary footage taken in/around Bonn (Germany) intertwined seamlessly with found footage taken in Timbuktu (Mali).
the result is dreamy footage — as if filming one's own memory undergoing "regression therapy".
another detail that makes this film highly attractive to me is the resemblance of certain scenes with paintings of Miuláš Medek (1926-1974).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikul%C3%A1%C5%A1_Medek
guess what is a (Medek's) painting and what is a (Reble's) film still?

CHEMICAL INTERVENTION IN (FILM) HISTORY
Part one starts with an overview of the prehistory of moving images in the 19th Century: Zoetrope, Phenakistiscope, Chronophotagraphy etc. until the invention of the Cinematograph and Kinetograph/Kinetoscope. The second part will be devoted to the Brothers Lumiere following 20 of their amazing documentaries between 1895 to 1905. The third part is a new interpretation of A TRIP DOWN MARKET STREET, San Francisco 1906.
during the first part, i was able to forget i am watching an account of film history.
i felt like watching a modern myth — full of strange creatures with identities and activities that might not be completely comprehensible but all that is seen is still perceived as "revelatory".
during the second part (Lumiere bros), it was much harder to continue watching in this mode.
footage of the third (last) part was already too realistic to be able to continue tricking my mind and i was just watching early footage (of San Francisco) soaked in potions of nowadays chemistry.
still from the first part.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Re: Haphazard travels of Sir John Man Deville across the Sprachraum

Post by niminy-piminy »

1943 poll viewing No16:
ROMANCE IN A MINOR KEY (Helmut Käutner)

after reaching about 30 min of the film, i was urged to check what says (about the film) the book called "Nazi Film Melodrama" written by Laura Heins, published via University of Illinois Press, in the year 2013.

so, i made a break and started to read the following...
3. Breaking Out of the Bourgeois Home: Domestic Melodrama
Detours from Monogamy: Extramarital Romances
The tenuous status of marriage in the cinema and the society of the Third Reich was reflected not only in individual film narratives but also in the overall distribution of film genres. Relatively few family melodramas were produced in the Third Reich; more common was the romance film featuring a postmarital love triangle, as in Die Frau am Scheidewege or the subplot of Das unsterbliche Herz. According to the Hollywood Production Code, this was a particularly perilous subject, because it threatened the “sanctity of marriage”:

The triangle, that is, love of a third party for one already married, needs careful handling. The treatment should not throw sympathy against marriage as an institution . . . In the case of impure love, the love which society has always regarded as wrong and which has been banned by divine law, the following are important: 1. Impure love must not be presented as attractive or beautiful. 2. It must not be the subject of comedy or farce, or treated as material for laughter. 3. It must not be presented in such a way as to arouse passion or morbid curiosity on the part of the audience.

Although they borrowed heavily from American models, Nazi films violated each of these points of the Hollywood Production Code. Adultery was the subject of the comedy Wenn wir alle Engel wären (If We All Were Angels, 1936), which amused both Hitler and Goebbels heartily and was given the privileged rating “staatspolitisch und künstlerisch wertvoll” (politically and artistically valuable). Although the film involved a husband’s infidelity and a wife’s simultaneous flirtation with an affair, resulting in supposedly humorous moments in a divorce court, the marriage was, of course, saved in the end. However, the film was considered “politically valuable” less because of its final reinforcement of the adulterer’s marriage, and more because the comic treatment of marital difficulties was considered a successful formula by a regime that required light entertainment to counterbalance the strains of life in a rapidly rearming country. As Walter Panofsky explained in a 1938 Film-Kurier article, the film was proof of the regime’s pro-entertainment stance: “[Wenn wir alle Engel wären] received the designation politically and artistically valuable on the explicit grounds that it transmits two hours of genuine cheerfulness and joie de vivre to spectators in this serious and work-filled era.” Likewise, though in a more pathetic tone, Nazi melodramas aroused their audiences with curiosity about extramarital relations in a manner that would also not have been acceptable under the Hays Code. Particularly in Third Reich romance melodramas that featured a postmarital or extramarital love triangle, adultery generally appears more attractive than monogamous marriage.

One such extramarital melodrama is one of the most studied films of the Third Reich, Romanze in Moll (Romance in a Minor Key, 1943). The film is about a married woman’s affair with another man and ends, rather conventionally, with her suicide. Since the female protagonist pays for her affair with her life, the status quo of marital fidelity is nominally reinforced. However, the film does not intend to generate sympathy for the institution of marriage. Rather, it suggests that the unfaithful wife is actually a tragic victim of an outdated moral code. The treatment of space in Romanze in Moll creates a sense of domestic entrapment, as the heroine is imprisoned in her small apartment and in her role as housewife. This confinement is clearly signified by the shots of a canary in a cage and by the patronizing speech of her husband, who calls her “my child.” In direct contrast to the dark and confining marital domesticity, the sequences with the heroine’s lover are shot outdoors in full sunlight, which suggests that the extramarital relationship is actually the more natural one. The claustrophobic shots of the married couple’s cramped apartment are also designed to show marriage and the strict bourgeois morality that binds the unhappy woman to it as unbearably suffocating. The wife, Madeleine, tormented by a sense of duty to her husband and by her nineteenth-century society’s insistence on marital fidelity, decides to stay with her husband rather than divorce. When her lover insists that she has a right to happiness, the film seems to question the very concept of fidelity. Romanze in Moll, like Das unsterbliche Herz, could therefore be viewed as a characteristically Nazi attack on what Hitler called the “moral hypocrisy of the 19th century.”

Romanze in Moll has generally been treated by film scholars as an anomalous film for Nazi cinema due to its highly ambiguous position on marriage and because of its somewhat remarkable style. The film makes use of some darkly toned, foreboding visuals and is structured to evade the impulse to full knowledge. It has other film noir–like effects, such as a framing flashback narrative, use of low-key lighting, and a less than linear editing style that creates gaps in the spectator’s understanding of character motivation and events. Seemingly unmotivated close-ups give the effect of barely legible, excessive signs. For Eric Rentschler the film was one of the few transgressive works of Nazi cinema, a work of “aesthetic resistance” to the ruling ideology. David Bathrick similarly emphasizes Romanze in Moll’s lack of easy legibility as an almost subversive trait: “In refusing to submit to a single, all-encompassing reading, it denies the one thing which the Nazi public sphere will always ask of the desired unambiguous text.”

However, there is much evidence that Romanze in Moll, far from being oppositional, actually delivered exactly what was desired from cinema of the Third Reich. Helmut Käutner was never considered potentially oppositional, but instead was listed by the RMVP in 1942 as one of the Reich’s most reliable and preferred directors. Goebbels was apparently not disturbed by Romanze in Moll’s ambiguities, but rather praised it as an “extraordinarily effective avant-garde work.” Other contemporary discussions of Romanze in Moll actually emphasized those elements that have appeared almost subversive to postwar scholarship. The advertising materials distributed along with the film praised Käutner’s direction for its realistic representation of the love affair and his refusal to condemn the infidelity of the protagonists: “The prevailing erotic mood of the film is tenderly represented by Helmut Käutner’s sensitive direction. The film doesn’t take sides, doesn’t excuse and doesn’t accuse,” the anonymous reviewer wrote. The taglines suggested for use by journalists and advertisers in the film’s press kit emphasized that the heroine could not really be blamed for her affair and underlined the universal nature of the heroine’s experience: “A woman’s fate; the ancient and eternally new story of a woman who married a man she doesn’t love.” Furthermore, the official press materials suggested that the film’s ambiguities were planned in order to provoke questions about the possibilities for personal fulfillment outside of conventional family structures: “Romanze in Moll will become a film that, in many respects, goes beyond the bounds of the ordinary. It does not ask the question of ‘guilt,’ as the drama usually does, but rather asks the question of ‘happiness,’ which poses itself to every person at some point in life.”

Happiness was clearly not to be found in marital fidelity in Romanze in Moll. Other discussions of the film included in the studio’s information packet posed the question of whether the petit-bourgeois husband was actually the guilty party: “Who is to blame for the sad events?—Is Madeleine guilty because she gave in to her desire for brightness and happiness? Or is her husband to blame because his little world was enough for him and he didn’t see that he was obliged to give his wife more than that paltry life that was sufficient for him?—Who would want to judge here?” Similarly, the film reviewer for the journal Das Reich wrote about the character of the husband with a tone of disapproval in regard to his limited, confining values. In her opinion, Romanze in Moll contrasted two worlds: “the narrowness of the petit-bourgeois man and the extravagant freedom of the artist stand in opposition to each other, and between them haunts the smiling face, the floating form of a woman who only appears to belong to the bourgeois world, but whose internal nature belongs to a free, glorious life.” While Madeleine’s lover represented for this reviewer a life free of moral restrictions, the husband is described in the review as a “Spießer” (uptight bourgeois man) characterized by “somewhat slimy self-satisfaction.” The Film-Kurier’s reviewer also expressed some scorn for the figure of the “precise, small-minded, pedantic bourgeois” and praised the character of the lover as a “cavalier with the kind of daring that never lacks nobility . . . a spontaneous man who is conscious in a sympathetic way of his own irresistibility.” It is telling that the lover, a professional musician, is called a “cavalier” in this review, semantically transforming the artist into a military officer. While the petit-bourgeois husband is trapped in his petty repetitive habits and traditions, the artist, like a soldier, is vigorous enough to create a new life for his mistress and his nation.

Although Romanze in Moll undoubtedly achieved a higher degree of aesthetic quality than most Nazi films, it was not at all anomalous in terms of ideological position. Indeed, many Third Reich melodramas that thematized extramarital romances treated the affairs more sympathetically than the marital relationships. Es war eine rauschende Ballnacht (It Was a Gay Ballnight, 1939), a highly popular Zarah Leander film, could be seen as a close predecessor to Romanze in Moll’s vision of marital life. Like Romanze in Moll, it tells of the illicit love of a married woman for a composer, claiming to be the real story of the great love of Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Interestingly, though, it is not the “genius” Tchaikovsky who commands the camera’s identificatory devices here; it is instead mainly the adulterous woman with whom the audience is asked to identify. The audience is also encouraged to view the heroine’s aristocratic husband as a villain and domesticity as sinister. In a scene in which the husband confronts his wife about her affair, he is represented with the foreboding lighting and camera work that usually designates criminals or demonic characters, and his eyelids are darkened with makeup to intensify his threatening glare. Although they are supposed to be located in the same space, husband and wife are lit separately. The Leander character, Katja, is shown in flattering three-point lighting, but her husband is lit and shot from below, creating jarring shadows in his face and emphasizing his devilish goatee. Most of the cavernous dining room where the confrontation takes place is also in heavy shadow, and the gaping but completely windowless space is as anxiety-inducing as the claustrophobic mise-en-scène of Romanze in Moll’s marital home. In contrast, the scenes that pair the wife and her lover are performed with appealing passion, and the lover’s apartment is dominated by massive windows that connote freedom. The actor playing the Tchaikovsky character is treated tenderly by the camera, with a dazzling white light directed into his eyes to emphasize their size and clarity and a top light placed over his hair to give him an angelic quality, much in contrast to the demonic husband. When Katja leaves her lover’s apartment after an act of infidelity, the soundtrack’s urgent music and crosscutting to her suspicious husband’s pursuit creates an effect of anxious suspense so that the viewer is encouraged to hope that the extramarital lovers will evade capture by the sinister aristocrat. Thus, in its visual assignments of the roles of villain and hero, Es war eine rauschende Ballnacht actually makes use of the most conventional topoi of traditional melodrama to cast audience sympathy against the marital relationship.
niminy-piminy

Re: Haphazard travels of Sir Man Deville across the Sprachraum

Post by niminy-piminy »

INDUSTRY AND PHOTOGRAPHY (Harun Farocki, 1979)

1/ essay film based in large part on photographs by Bernd and Hilla Becher ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_and_Hilla_Becher

2/ i have a weakness for Bechers!
in May 2012, i visited Bechers exhibition in Rudolfinum (the starting point of the JOURNEY TO ROME movie).
making snapshots of photos is weird, but i did a few.
i was especially charmed by the wooden constructions of small mines from the 1970s United States.
the initial part of the film elaborates on the mining industry as captured on photographs (and about these U.S. small mines).
voiceover says these mines operated till 1976 but some of the photographs i photographed in Rudolfinum are from 1978.
in any case, it is probably something that is extinct since the 1980s.
these are the snapshots i made at the exhibition...

and these are the captions that accompanied these (above) photos...
Erdmann Brothers Coal Co., Valley View, Pennsylvania, USA, 1974
Stahl Coal Co., Goodspring Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1975
Knorr Coal Co., Goodspring Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1975
Minnich Coal Co., Goodspring Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1975
Frailey Coal Co., Donaldson, Pennsylvania, USA, 1978
Shomper Coal Co., Williams Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1978

3/ (other) films about Bechers that i watched (in the past few years)...
3.1/ THE PHOTOGRAPHERS BERND AND HILLA BECHER (Marianne Kapfer, 2010)
3.2/ BERND AND HILLA BECHER (Jean-Pierre Krief, 2001) — part of CONTACTS series
3.3/ THE NEW GERMAN OBJECTIVITY (Stan Neumann, 2013) — part of PHOTO: A HISTORY FROM BEHIND THE LENS series

4/ Bechers' architectural photographs are always black&white and the sky (in the background) is always monochromatic gray (without clouds or sun/sunshine) — to capture the buildings this way, Bechers were able to wait for days (for suitable weather conditions).

5/ photographers tutored by Bechers are f.e. Andreas Gursky, Candida Höfer, Thomas Ruff, Petra Wunderlich.

6/ at one point voiceover of the film says...
Stylistically, they (industrial plants) resemble castles or forts.
i never looked at industrial plants this way, but (onwards) i want to try to see the medieval ghost-form of industrial architecture.

7/ the film opens with a photograph (industrial still life) by Jaromír Funke...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarom%C3%ADr_Funke
Funke was born in Skuteč to a wealthy family of a Bohemian-German lawyer father and a Czech mother.
city of Skuteč can be found in Eastern Bohemia (very near my hometown).
JF was a man of diverse interests and was a uni dropout.
He studied medicine, law, and philosophy at the Charles University in Prague and the University of Bratislava but did not graduate and instead turned to photography.
Funke was recognized for his play of “photographic games” with mirrors, lights, and insignificant objects, such as plates, bottles, or glasses, to create unique works. His still life's created abstract forms and played with shadows looking similar to photograms. ... A typical feature of Funke's work would be the “dynamic diagonal."
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

ickykino tweeovalis wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:14 pm i did a few.
If you had taken more time, you could have set up an easel and painted copies for yourself.

Taking "rubbings," like they do with gravestones, probably wouldn't have been allowed.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

copying a certain medium via the same medium (taking snapshots of the photographs) makes one feel weird.
but if i would have set up an easel and painted those photographs i guess i would feel pretty normal.
will do so next time!
tho i will keep taking snapshots of the paintings.
painting the paintings would make me feel like taking snapshots of the photographs.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

watched one more film about Bechers.
sometimes called BERND AND HILLA BECHER: 4 DECADES, sometimes BERND AND HILLA BECHER: TYPOLOGIES OF INDUSTRIAL ARCHITECTURE.
sometimes dated 2006, sometimes 2007.
directed by Michael Blackwood.
https://letterboxd.com/film/bernd-and-h ... hitecture/
(camera) follows the couple through their retrospective exhibition at Berlin’s Hamburger Bahnhof Museum
(among other things) Bechers elaborate on the (aforementioned) U.S. small mines...
ickykino tweeovalis wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:14 pm Image

Erdmann Brothers Coal Co., Valley View, Pennsylvania, USA, 1974
Stahl Coal Co., Goodspring Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1975
Knorr Coal Co., Goodspring Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1975
Minnich Coal Co., Goodspring Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1975
Frailey Coal Co., Donaldson, Pennsylvania, USA, 1978
Shomper Coal Co., Williams Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA, 1978
1/ these (poetic) wooden constructions are part of the phenomenon called "bootleg mining" or "shoemaker mining".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_mining

Bootleg mining or shoemaker mining is a form of illegal coal mining.

The term originated around the 1920s, though the practice probably predates that. Generally, a bootleg mine (sometimes called a bootleg pit) is a small mine dug by a handful of men. Often this took place surreptitiously on land owned by somebody else, such as a coal company.

Shortly before the Great Depression, Pennsylvania's anthracite industry collapsed, shutting down collieries and throwing tens of thousands of miners out of work. Unemployed miners dug their own coalholes, often on company property, and began setting up bootleg breakers and trucking operations, creating an entire bootleg coal industry. According to a 1938 report commissioned by Governor George Howard Earle, there were as many as 1,965 bootleg holes, operated by over 7,000 bootleg miners, producing 2,400,000 tons of coal per year. By 1941, miners and police clashed over the dynamiting of their coalholes.
The Great "Bootleg" Coal Industry
https://web.archive.org/web/20040902093 ... na3446.htm

14/
The bootleg towns are preponderantly Catholic; so, feigning concern for the Eighth Commandment, I approached several parish priests, some of whom, I had heard, were accepting church dues in the form of bootleg coal and were using it to heat their churches, parochial schools, and parish houses. All declared that the Eighth Commandment had no bearing on coal bootlegging. The so-called bootleggers, they said, had as much right to the coal they were digging as the companies. Besides, most of the bootleg holes were in places where the companies would never have bothered to take the coal out anyhow — which is true.

23/
Some of the radical intellectuals who have visited the region to the contrary notwithstanding, there is no revolution in coal bootlegging. Most of the bootleggers are anti-Communist, and the few, very few, radicals I met among them told me that bootlegging is largely responsible for the fact that there is almost no real radicalism, no movement of any size, in the southern anthracite towns. Coal bootlegging is nothing more or less than a depression industry. But eventually, it may have some slight revolutionary importance. This "stealing" on such a grand scale in open daylight unquestionably causes hundreds of thousands of people — not only the bootleggers — to contemplate private property rights with less awe, and the eventual nationalization of coal mines possibly will come a bit easier and faster because of it.
2/ these (poetic) wooden constructions are technically called "headframes".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headframe

A headframe (also known as a gallows frame, winding tower, hoist frame, pit frame, shafthead frame, headgear, headstock or poppethead) is the structural frame above an underground mine shaft so as to enable the hoisting of machinery, personnel, or materials.
3/ in Germany, the (legal, corporate) headframes looked like this...

4/ in France & Belgium, the (legal, corporate) headframes had moreover (on top) a little roof...

the reason is (allegedly) as follows...
for ppl in French-speaking areas is (allegedly) the idea of something (headframe) free-standing in a landscape and being fully exposed to natural elements (rain) unbearable.
so, borrowing from the architectural vocabulary of the garden pavilions they used to cover headframes with a "canopy".

5/ in the film, Bechers also speak about their roots (predecessors) & affiliations.

5.1/ Hilla Becher says, "We weren't really creatively involved with the conceptual art movement but we somehow fit into it. We didn't contradict this association, we had nothing against that."

5.2/ Bernd says he feels their work is rooted (in general) in the New Objectivity (Neue Sachlichkeit).
but he is not (in particular) fond of the industry painters of the New Objectivity (and their impressionistic way of portraying the industry), "There are too much fire and smoke in these paintings and not enough form."

5.3/ as a predecessor is mentioned Walker Evans (who occasionally made photographs of industrial plants that come close to the "new objectivity").
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Evans
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

SCHMELZDAHIN
https://letterboxd.com/director/schmelzdahin/
https://www.kinometer.com/?director=162 ... ear-latest
Schmelzdahin
Jochen Lempert (b 1958), Jochen Müller (b 1959), Jürgen Reble (b 1956) — group founded in 1979; experimental film research in the field of photography, montage, material processing, and concern with the transience of things; about 20 art films produced within 10 years, marketed under the name «Schmelzdahin» (‹melt away›); group dissolved in 1989.
they made certainly more than 20 films because in the past several days i watched 30.
most of them via Filmmuseum München Retrospective (on Vimeo).
a few via Schmelzdahin website... http://www.schmelzdahin.de/schmelzdahin.html
on the website there are still a few more minor entries.
in sum, there might be about 40 Schmelzdahin films/reels.

btw. (f.e.) Schmelzdahin's CITY IN FLAMES (1984) plays with the footage of a camp film CITY ON FIRE (Alvin Rakoff, 1979).

as a detour viewing, i watched WAR OF THE PLANETS (Joseph M. Newman, 1958).
a tale about the planet "Metaluna" (obviously not a sublunary cosmic body).
it is a 9 min long sci-fi (pic on the left) turned by Schmeldahin into 6 min long experimental film called WEISSPFENNIG (pic on the right).
WAR OF THE PLANETS... https://youtu.be/PUQmoYRqFA4 (with optional/superfluous YT soundtrack)
WEISSPFENNIG... http://www.schmelzdahin.de/weisspfennigfilm.htm

my last viewing (so far) was ‎15 DAYS OF FEVER (1989).
it is 14 min long feverish film (of vivid colors, without dialogue) and can be viewed via the Schmelzdahin web... http://www.schmelzdahin.de/15tagefieberfilm.htm

Schmelzdahin-related texts...
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2004/cteq/jurgen_reble/
Reble worked with the group Schmelzdahin from 1984. They collected Super-8 prints of anything from action films to porn flicks, home movies to Hollywood classics. They became interested in the decaying effect of weathering (Reble once threw a film into his garden pond and “harvested” it after a year had passed), bacterial processes and chemicals that disrupt the colour layers and eat away at the emulsion. They were made aware that film is not a fixed medium but that the image is transformed through material disintegration, and on projection this transformation is magnified as an integral part of the image. It became common for the group to use similar anti-preservation techniques in performance. Film loops would be subjected to chemical and other treatments, the effect was witnessed in real time until the loops fell apart in the projector. This auto-destruction was a crude but effective performance metaphor for mutability and the inevitability of physical decay, albeit hastened by the artists. While with Schmelzdahin, Reble developed a repertoire of processes and a practice that he has been refining and developing ever since.
http://scan.net.au/scn/journal/vol10num ... erger.html
Direct-On-Found Footage Filmmaking:
Mining the debris of image consumption & co-directing with nature

(by Katherine Berger)

The late 1970’s to early 1980’s saw an obvious increase in Direct-on-Found Footage Animation since the advent of digital, which had began its rise to become the new filmmaking and exhibition format. As a result, motion film went through a period of futility and was often discarded or destroyed, particularly amongst the big studios that were excited by the prospect of digital. A key example from the 1980’s is by the German Schmelzdahin Collective with their Direct-on-Found Footage Animation, Stadt in Flammen (1984, 5 minutes, Super 8mm). The group from Bonn in Germany saw themselves as film alchemists and wanted to push the selected footage (mostly found and sometimes photographed) into a ‘metamorphosis of earthly digression’. They worked, in a sense, in harmony with Nature as they often left their films up to elements of chance and allowed the natural environment to make its mark upon the pre-existing images that lay on the filmstrip. To create Stadt in Flammen, the found footage of a film with the same title (created only a few years prior), was subjected to various substances and buried in the earth or left in a pond for several months to hasten the decay of the film’s original images. Author Owen O’Toole writes, “Stadt in Flammen is the most volcanic film I've ever seen; the emulsion literally crawls off the film base, like a lava flowing across terrain… Like ancient paintings crack and fall away from their surfaces” (O' Toole 1989/90). This film is significant because of its collaboration and co-direction with the natural world in the production of the film.
http://mfj-online.org/journalPages/MFJ3 ... istry.html
Chemistry and the Alchemy of Colour
(by Jurgen Reble, printed in MFJ No. 30/31 (Fall 1997) Deutschland/Interviews)

Schmelzdahin/Color Film/Bacterial Composition
My first experience in understanding how color is layered in film and how these layers might break apart or blend together was very exciting. It involved the film Stadt in Flammen, from 1984. This was a color super-8 copy of a B-movie which had been reduced to nothing but its action sequences. During the same period of time, Schmelzdahin, the group with which I was working, was researching the process of bacterial decomposition in film emulsion. And so, it was only natural that one day I should decide to toss my film into a dank corner of my garden. After a hot, humid summer, I came to gather up the film, which over the course of the summer I'd entirely forgotten. The superimposed layers of color emulsion had split apart and partly mixed together as well. The colors remained very pure and intense, but had departed from their previous form. Indeed, they were laying themselves down upon the old action film to form veritable mosaics of color, remarkably like the stained glass of church windows. This was a really pleasurable experience, and I struggled to make a copy of the film on an optical printer that Schmelzdahin had tried to use in such cases. As it turned out, however, the projector lamp overheated and melted the original. And, sad to say, in related work on the film involving bacterial decomposition, the losses mounted. It is very difficult, indeed impossible, to control such processes. The researcher must apply care and rigor in the choice of materials and everything should be thoughtfully planned.

Schmelzdahin/Color Film/Hands-on Manipulation
Parallel to these endeavors, we were attempting hands-on manipulation of films, our object of study being color negative. We availed ourselves of several means of manipulating film: buffing, punching, carving, chiseling, scraping; we also used sewing machines, knives, hammers, a soldering iron, etc. We began by removing each layer of color, one by one, or we also actually perforated the film. In all of this, the interest that we found in these activities came more from a spirit of discovery than from analysis. Projection of the pieces of film manipulated along these lines showed a series of astonishing phenomena. When we subject the film emulsion to regular, rhythmic rubbing with a piece of sandpaper, the depth at which each different color presents itself is revealed. If one scrapes the film even more, the entire emulsion will be scraped away down to the base. A punching gun or sewing machine (with or without thread) lets you make patterned perforations in the emulsion and base. And after a certain degree of experience is acquired, one is able to "dance about" on the image and stitch a precise spot. We didn't engage in these activities simply in order to manhandle the film strip. What we really wanted was to discover the outermost limits, the boundaries, at which film could no longer be projected. For the most part, the experiments from this stage of our study gave us only fragmentary knowledge.

Schmelzdahin/Color Film/Atmospheric Corrosion
During the years that followed, we conducted rather lengthy investigations into the effects of atmospheric corrosion on film, once again with a preference for color film. We used to set it all up by unwinding hundreds of feet of film--a melange of both our own super-8 as well as various sources of found footage. We would then proceed to hang or drape the film from the branches of trees in my garden. Usually after an intense exposure to sunlight over a period of one to ten months, yellow is the first color to disintegrate. Then, depending on the material, the film loses its red and blues bit by bit. After just about six months the gelatin becomes porous from the effects of wind and rain. During the same period cracks and crevices appear. If you were to visit my garden today, you'd find more or less soiled, spotted and otherwise defiled strips of film in the trees--film accumulated over a period of ten years. A few more years and--nothing. Airborne dust, pollen, and dirt come to rest upon the naked base of the film, upon which there used to be images full of color. An act of purification of a certain sort. It is always amazing and beautiful to see that novel realities come to replace the multi-colored illusions and deceptions of film. In 1985, I tossed an entire reel of film into a little pond in the garden. (I believe that it was Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.) I salvaged the reel a year later and the experience is recounted in Aus Den Algen (1986). Following a narrative commentary, the spectator witnesses the film being fished out of the pond. From the original, only the base survived. Algae cultures had taken up residence, their abodes now stocking the content of the images.

Schmelzdahin/Color Film/Developing
The final years of collaboration with Schmelzdahin were primarily dedicated to the study of those chemical processes that unfold during and after film developing. First of all, we conducted color film experiments involving: changing the hydrogen potential of the color developer, introducing deviations in important temperatures among different baths, brutally interrupting the printing process, and rinsing with chemical baths not permitted by the standard procedure. These operations brought about quite a series of intriguing results such as: the shift of overall color balance to a single color, several false solarizations, alteration in grain, and even the loss of layers of color. In other cases, we divided the material among ourselves, each of us indulging his particular fantasy, each with his own little bottle containing a small amount of extremely concentrated developer. During developing we would shake the bottle irregularly in order to obtain the greatest possible variation in results. More often than not there would be loss of control over both the unfolding of the developing and attempts to repeat a result. However, it was often the "unsuccessful" results that were truly interesting.

Black and White Film/Chemical Treatment
In regard to chemical manipulation, black and white is even more interesting than color film. With the use of toners, one can replace the particles dyed black with metals that capture different colors, for example: sulfur=brown, copper=red-brown, uranium oxide=yellow-brown, or gold=red-orange. White areas remain unchanged. I would rather not elaborate because one can find these recipes in any photography manual; for the most part, these are the same procedures that arose in the first quarter of this century.

At this stage, the most stimulating new results obtained when we tried different toner solutions by interrupting the developing or rinsing with intermediate chemical treatments. Having recourse to developing black and white reversal proved to be very productive. It offered us the possibility of working with the chemistry of the first developer, normally obliterated by bleaching, and of disposing of all the silver particles. Moreover, we determined what substances allow you to dissolve a specific area of the gelatin with more or less precision; we practiced this technique on those parts of the gelatin with a reduced silver density. Coloring the remaining layer of gelatin which had not undergone this treatment, we were able to apply an additional color, freely chosen, to the entirely transparent base. The result is images that seem to be in relief or embossed, whose form and color vary from one project to another, and resemble those historic photographic images originally in black and white that used to be colored by hand.

The incredible richness of possibilities for combining these different techniques promised to immerse us in a truly complex, truly fantastic world, true beyond representation, abandoned on that account by cinematographic history. When we arrived to attend cinema or video festivals, the anachronistic side of our investigations clearly would command our attention. The digital revolution was already wreaking havoc; people were already in it to the extent that they had come to handle images without dirtying their hands, just through the use of brainpower and their fingers. (In Latin, finger is digitus). One pressed a button and the color blue appeared. This seemed to us absurd. We became irrelevant; we represented the Old Guard.

Creation/Unicity/Fungacity
One of the productive outcomes of the period when we experimented with chemical treatments deserves to be highlighted. Particular parts of the collective work Flamethrowers (1989, with Matthias Müller and Owen O'Toole) as well as the opening images of Passion (1992) show a volcanic eruption. In the conventional color film, one such event is decomposed chromatically and the respective parts of color are then replaced, in the three different layers yellow/cyan/magenta, by corresponding dyes. A complete reproduction of the represented object results. In my personal working method, the real world action (of flowing "lava") is reproduced even in the emulsion itself with the aid of an aggressive bath of bleach. This bath corrodes those parts of the image in which the lava is projected from the crater, the layer of gelatin included. The method of heating thus obtained corresponds exactly to the original action. The primitive energy of the natural phenomenon is preserved and a microcosm is created which materially reproduces the macrocosm. The gelatin remaining on the film is then coated with a deep red color that one obtains in mixing two relatively lightly colored salts together. This coloring occurs chemically--and what makes it particularly interesting is that it progressively disintegrates in contact with light.

Two aspects of this work deserve emphasis: the first is unicity. If one contact prints the images described above onto color stock, this beautiful construction of the mind fades away. A relatively pale, banal copy results or the material is utterly lost. It only becomes interesting again if somebody reworks this material on the optical printer. In this way one gets a new and original work.

The second aspect that deserves emphasis is fungacity. I don't have a real need to present my work in a form and in states defined for all time. What interests me is the process, evolution, method, the march. So long as we scan the universe that surrounds us, we live in a fleeting world, full of shadows, which reconstitute themselves every single moment. The eye adjusts to these changes and also becomes creative at turns since it projects its interior world on the exterior fugitive universe and continually corrects its interior image. In a dream, the lived, or the real, lives its own (peculiar) life and projects itself. I have a similar experience in my films. The images from which copies were made several years ago have--on the original--profoundly changed, indeed they have, to put it quite bluntly, vanished. And it is this experience of "vanishing" that is truly interesting in the work that I made: to see and behold, to understand how the forms and colors yield to endless change, how they submit to perpetual motion. At the same time, the meanings and the connections among whole ensembles of images transform themselves. Film as an object or a thing, returns to us as a privileged subject; we rediscover it from new tracks, trails, and clues that we begin to pursue--all in order to be continued another time.

Buried Images
Finally, I have arrived at a point where I no longer rinse film in order to remove chemical byproducts that appear during the processing, but instead I let them dry in the emulsion. This gives birth to all sorts of salt crystals. These dry substances have the appearance of many structures and colors and are quite abundant, especially in superimposition. I moisten them with chemical dyes that, upon drying, add even more new structures. I have confirmed as well that the luminous connections are not established by natural light falling on the film, but by light from behind or beneath the image. Therefore I've continued my work on a light table. In certain spots, the film becomes so thick that I have a hard time inserting, indeed lodging, it into the optical printer. For composing shots, I help myself to lights with different color temperatures, located in front and behind. Color is a phenomenon that is born in the play between lighting and camera stock.

Alchemy/Philosophy
In the mixed-media film and performance Alchemy, I attempt to bridge the gap between processing and fixing the film. During the projection, a reel of film that has been chemically treated becomes distorted--it decomposes, it rots--bit by bit. In the end, nothing is left but a dance of chemical elements--basic ingredients--and a dance of basic (philosophical) principles as well. The audience is present at a process of formation and decomposition that unfolds in actual, material time. Shapes and colors are born and disappear continually. What one sees seems to be stripped of meaning. One is left understanding that we participate only fugitively in the processes of chemical change, and that beyond a certain point one is little more than the spectator of these phenomena--that is to say--an onlooker, a bystander.

Alchemy constitutes the culminating point in my work. This performance proceeds as a conspiracy between two basic elements, the public and myself. It also proceeds from an emphatic (even categorical) rejection of the logic inherent to museums as well as the world of art, for which its quality as a precious object leaves a work of art to be surrounded, encircled, hemmed in by solicitude--something that is to be preserved. One would name the images that form and vanish in Alchemy as "temporary zones of filmic sensibility." These zones become impossible to preserve and accumulate despite the materiality of the apparatus. Zones of sensibility demand our attentive care and silence, stillness, reticence, the renunciation of everyday things, and meditation.

Ontology=Zen
Material Reality=Nothingness

Film like the representation of material reality will never be fixed or settled and determined once and for all. Color=Form, conceived as an ephemeral phenomenon, leaving us traces that arouse the remembrance of things past or to come.

Color=Form
So many substantial realities that teach us about the composition and state of the cosmos. Facing the world of media that daily knocks us on the head--the world of media that bores, stuns, pesters, and plagues us with copies, canned food, and plagiarism--film, apprehended almost as a metabolism, affirms and asserts its human character.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1/ the only film labeled "New Munich Group" that i watched in the past is GIRLS, GIRLS • MÄDCHEN, MÄDCHEN (Fritz, R., 1967) = viewing No0.
viewtopic.php?p=27953#p27953

2/ now, starting the strategic & systematic exploration = New Munich Group viewing No1:
JET GENERATION: HOW GIRLS LOVE MEN OF TODAY • JET GENERATION: WIE MÄDCHEN HEUTE MÄNNER LIEBEN (Schmidt, E., 1968)
https://letterboxd.com/film/jet-generation/
Schmidt's first feature film
3/ after reading (prior to watching the film)...
The main hero (photographer) must be the most unlikeable person ever — he's such an asshole. According to Schmidt, R. W. Fassbinder wanted that role. But Schmidt thought he wouldn't be convincing as a fashion photographer.
now, i can't help imagining/projecting Fassbinder in that role and permanently thinking if Fassbinder would be worse/better.

4/ the same letterboxd comment also says...
The score feels like a noisy and cheap Pink Floyd knock-off band. It works fine in the film but is a little bit repetitive.
i reached about the middle but the repetitive tune is already stuck within my ears.
hopefully, i won't be haunted by it for the next several weeks.
the only tune that i can recall being the same "intrusive" is maybe the repetitive tune in Suspiria.
going back to initial credits, i can read...

5/ the only search result for "David Llywelyn" & "The Joint" (names i never heard before) is the following album (that doesn't seem to contain the tune from the film).
https://youtu.be/UNIz1-P3v28

description says...
British psych-prog bands that took place in the collective "The Lonely Ones", in early versions of which appeared Noel Redding and Jim Leverton of "Fat Mattress". Somewhere on the road to Europe guys met with writer and director David Llewelyn George Moorse, in collaboration with whom he recorded a number of soundtracks for the German avant-garde films, such as "Jet Generation" or "Der Griller". For this reason, the group records fall in the collections of German psychedelia , and the group itself is also often considered German .

Long lost history recordings of legendary band The Joint from the 60's Kent/Canterbury scene.

The band recorded soundtrack material for Munich underground movies, and a series of demos, but split in 1969 with no their name.

Long lost tapes of legendary band The Joint (feat. Rick Davies of Supertramp). These recordings were lost and have only been recently discovered. The Joint came out of legendary early sixties Kent scene band The Lonely Ones, a band that featured Noel Redding, and Jim Leverton (Yardbirds, Fat Mattress). The Lonely Ones split in 1969, having only released a Freakbeat single in Germany. This album is a must have for all psych/prog collectors . Great previously unheard tracks for fans of the genre — shades of early Pink Floyd, Tomorrow, Arthur Brown etc. Unique and original art work. Limited to 1000 copies. Lost gem from the Kent/ Canterbury scene that spawned Soft Machine, Caravan, etc.
6/ haunted by the catchy tune and the absent Fassbinder, gonna watch the rest tomo.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

7/ the main hero/villain (the absent Fassbinder) is played by Roger Fritz (director of GIRLS, GIRLS, 1967) who has also co-written the script (with Eckhart Schmidt).

8/ beside the main heroine, many other enigmatic women promenade/appear on the screen.
f.e. a mysterious girl who enhances her psychedelic drug intake by the flicker effect of flashing beacon.
or f.e. an actress (playing Hella) with a mysterious "real" name "Isi ter Jung" (the wife of Eckhart Schmidt).

9/ two heroines (including the main heroine) come to Munich from New York and thus they bring into the tale the spirit of Warhol's Factory (i.e. the glamor of the supermodels) — the main heroine (rich resident of New York) is looking (in Munich) for her brother Dirk who disappeared (she is digging into the past and thus unveiling dirty secrets hidden behind the Bavarian glitter).

10/ an embodiment of dirt is the aforementioned main hero, a fashion photographer Raoul (who sometimes shoots (masked) models in masks).

11/ the reason why he is bringing to posh girls only bitter tears (these bitter tears not to be mistaken for the bitter tears of Petra von Kant) is due to he being a (crooked & depraved) freedom-fighter (he fights the enslavement/commitments related to the capital & love).
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1975 poll No21
LAOCOON & SONS (Ulrike Ottinger, Tabea Blumenschein)
https://letterboxd.com/film/laocoon-sons/

Ottinger’s debut film already contains many of the elements that would appear in her later works: an extraordinary woman, an unusual country, and a chain of magic transformations that give rise to eccentric characterizations by an ensemble cast, here featuring Tabea Blumenschein in multiple roles. Inspired by Virginia Woolf’s Orlando, Ottinger’s allegorical work explores themes of death, destruction, and resurrection. With striking camerawork reminiscent of the antics of avant-garde psychodramas, Laocoon & Sons is filled with an exuberant sense of life, myth, tradition, and magic

i believe i just watched the most charming film of 1975!
i can't tell for sure because the other film by Ulrike Ottinger & Tabea Blumenschein from 1975 called THE ENCHANTMENT OF THE BLUE SAILOR is out of reach.
so, it is possible that THE ENCHANTMENT OF THE BLUE SAILOR is as good (or even better than) as LAOCOON & SONS but considering the absence of THE ENCHANTMENT OF THE BLUE SAILOR i can proclaim (with a clear conscience) LAOCOON & SONS to be the best (seen) film of the year 1975!
In the meantime please don't forget
that Sarah Tristan Tzara Tristan Zarah Tristana
was a poetess of the permanent revolution.
Permanent revolution through feathers,
since the poetess is a creature of feathers,
since a feather is considered poetic,
and thousands of feathers are a thousand times more poetic.
Sarah Tristan Tzara Tristan Zarah Tristana (poetess of the permanent revolution) is not the only character a viewer can encounter in this mesmerizing film.
there is also Esmeralda del Rio, Laura Malloy, Alexia Karloff, Olimpia Vincitor, Linda MacNamara, Kakalia Katzen, Veronica Dalton, Hubert Dupavillon, Jimmy Junod, etc., etc.
shape-shifting identity of all these (simultaneously same and different) characters is interlinked by an invisible thread of fate that is personified by a giant snake borrowed from a "Laocoon & Sons" classical sculpture.
last but not least, Tabea Blumenschein ultimately appears in the film as an irresistible gigolo whose pencil-thin mustache makes Clark Gable, John Waters, or Turhan Bey jealous.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sally

Post by sally »

looks fantastic!

(and am reminded of my eternal flaubert quote from bouvard and pecuchet that i hawk around everywhere - BIRD: desiring to be one and saying with a sigh, "ah, wings, wings..." is the sign of a poetic soul)

((cannot watch films at the minute due to elections despair/mania but am sure to watch this when i calm down a bit))
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

yesterday, late-night, i already intended to go to sleep but then decided to see just about 5-10 min (to get the initial vibes) and watch the rest of the movie the next day.
ultimately, i couldn't stop watching, was mesmerized, and got to bed damn late.
now watching PARIS CALLIGRAMMES (Ulrike Ottinger, 2020).
in PARIS CALLIGRAMMES, Ulrike recollects about her formative years in 1960s Paris, so it is an ideal double bill to her "poetic feathers" debut.
(eventually, i can put PARIS CALLIGRAMMES in Res. too??? if there is an interest???)
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

THE DEVILS OF LOUDUN (Rolf Liebermann, 1969)
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-devils-of-loudun/

This opera revolves around the demonic collective possession suffered by the Ursuline nuns in the convent of Loudun in 1634.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbain_Grandier

An 18th-century book written by historian Nicholas Aubin contains his findings on the Devils of Loudun. The book is titled, "The Cheats and Illusions of Romish Priests and Exorcists Discovered in the History of the Devils of Loudun."

Grandier's trials were the subject of two treatments by Alexandre Dumas, père: an entry in volume four of his Crimes Célèbres (1840) and a play, Urbain Grandier (1850).

The French historian Jules Michelet discussed Grandier in a chapter of La Sorcière (1862).

The same subject was revisited about a century later in the book-length essay The Devils of Loudun, by Aldous Huxley, published in 1952. Huxley's book was adapted for the stage in 1961 by John Whiting (commissioned by the Royal Shakespeare Company). The play was adapted for the movie screen by Ken Russell in 1971 (as The Devils). The novel was also adapted for the opera stage in 1969 by Krzysztof Penderecki (as Die Teufel von Loudun). It was also an inspiration for Matka Joanna od Aniołów (Mother Joan of the Angels) – a film by Jerzy Kawalerowicz after the story ("Matka od Aniołów|Mother Joan of the Angels") by Jarosław Iwaszkiewicz.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1975 poll No27
LIKE A BIRD ON THE WIRE (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
https://letterboxd.com/film/like-a-bird-on-a-wire/

A pseudo variety show about the Aufbau-Era, the time of the German ‘economic miracle’.
Brigitte Mira recounts her four husbands through song and joke, on an series of artificial sets.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1975 poll No28
31/75: ASYLUM (Kurt Kren)
A meadow, a lake, the silhouette of a hill, trees. 21 days of the same view in Saarland. 21 days with five different cut-outs in a mask before the camera, which finally reveals a complete panorama. The landscape changes with the advancing seasons and becomes slowly delirious in its technical alienation.
https://youtu.be/cblbgbnE1wo
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1975 poll No30
WEAK SPOT (Peter Fleischmann)
https://www.moma.org/calendar/events/4967

With echoes of Costa-Gavras’s Z, Weak Spot is a paranoid political thriller set in Greece during the Regime of the Colonels, in which an innocent tourist agent (Tognazzi), accused of belonging to the underground resistance, gets mixed up in a cat-and-mouse game with the secret police (Piccoli, Adorf).
https://www.spectacletheater.com/peter- ... ackwaters/

If you’re looking for a cinematic representation of the Greek military regime of 1975, and Costa-Gavras’s Z is too boring or moralistic, then this near-forgotten piece of political screwball might be what you’re looking for.

“To be a peaceable citizen means nothing,” says the Director of the Special Service, the clandestine state security agency at the center of the narrative. A stream of such “peaceable citizens” flows steadily through their offices, interrogated and tortured for their suspected involvement in “subversive” activities. When [such and such] is picked up in a local sports bar and tossed into a web of accusations that becomes more and more absurd with the Director’s every paranoid hypothesis, special agents Michel Piccoli (THEMROC, DILLINGER IS DEAD) and Mario Adorf (CALIBER 9, THE TIN DRUM) are assigned to transport him to the Capital for what they know will be a brutal interrogation session. Expecting to be released with apologies as soon as the mix-up is cleared, [such and such] goes along. The long voyage from the provinces to the Capital is slowed to a snail’s pace by a million seemingly unforeseen obstacles (the car breaks down, they miss their ferry) and the wager becomes: Will he try to escape, or will he trust the law to exonerate him? Is he a naïve fool or will he figure out what’s really going on?

Part political thriller, part buddy cop movie, WEAK SPOT combines the imagery of 70s Mediterranean machismo (gold chains, tans, chest hair, huge lapels) with the anarchic satirical sensibility of Dario Fo and Elio Petri. The totally “transparent, logical society” envisioned by the Director of the Special Service, in which citizens no longer need to be interrogated because they volunteer all their secrets in a constantly open flow of information, is an uncannily accurate prediction of the totalitarian system that has been implemented on a global scale within the past decade. Both timely and unmistakably of its time, WEAK SPOT is not to be missed.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1975 poll No32
UNDER THE PAVEMENT LIES THE STRAND (Helma Sanders-Brahms)
https://www.berlinale.de/en/archive/jah ... filmStills

Grischa and Heinrich are actors in West Berlin, who become a couple after spending a night together backstage. Soon, however, Heinrich’s desire to have children drives a wedge between them. Grischa is involved at the margins of the women’s movement and initiates a project surveying working women about their everyday life, abortion, and domestic violence. Heinrich, on the other hand, still mourns the unrealised utopia of the student movement and sinks into self-pity and lethargy. Grischa doesn’t believe he could handle the responsibility of a child. But then she becomes pregnant … In the film, made seven years after the upheaval of 1968, Helma Sanders-Brahms parses the attitudes of a generation. While a feeling of political impotence drove frustrated street protestors to withdraw or, as in Heinrich’s case, to embrace a sense of hope for a “revolution a deux” in love, it motivated women to tackle Marx’s “second contradiction” of women’s repression. The clash between the political and the personal is also reflected in the film’s aesthetic. Intimate scenes of cosy togetherness are juxtaposed with documentary footage, for instance of a demonstration against Germany’s anti-abortion law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the ... the_Strand
Prior to making the film, Sanders-Brahms had little to no distinct contact with the women's rights movement.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1954 poll No23:
PORTRAIT OF AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (Helmut Käutner)

driving force of this melodrama (like many other melodramas) is the following two-fold assumption:
1/ that the masculine wet dream is to find a woman ready to offer as the ultimate proof of her boundless love her own total self-destruction (because a man is a promiscuous beast and after love is consumed he wants to move on to another adventure free of obligations).
2/ that the feminine wet dream is to find a man capable to function as an unfailing receiver who deciphers "right" all the contradictory messages/commands of his beloved transmitter (because this quality is a precondition for a man to function as a perfect social vehicle of a woman in a patriarchal system that immobilizes females).

in this particular film, the embodiment of the first wet dream is an alluring singer Nicole, usually addressed as "my child" or "hummingbird", and the embodiment of the second wet dream is a noble man ("giant") who makes his living in diplomatic services (i.e. his job is to lie & pretend).

ofc no melodrama is complete without a love triangle and thus there is moreover an artist/collectionner who fancies assembling pretty body parts to make his dreamt idol (otherwise, a typical trait of a horror film). and this incurable phantast is supposedly bringing into this melodrama the sense of "reality" by crushing the "giant" and helping the "child" to grow up.

anyway, this film is in sum a complete phantasmagory (posing as realistic story) but because Helmut Käutner is such a skillful visual storyteller i usually find his films highly delightful.

besides, Helmut is not just sticking to a single (main) phantasmagorical plot but he is intertwining it with many witty (no less phantasmagorical) subplots and thus all this melodrama-amalgam satisfies my unquenching thirst for fragmented narratives (that i can otherwise quench only in experimental films). thus one can relish (within the frame of the main melodrama) another sub-melodrama that is purely fabricated within the mind of the phantast artist (the third) and that is conceived only to substantiate the heroine's & hero's divorce.

another clever moment of the film is when the hero offers the heroine as the reason for divorce (presented to the court) the "irreconcilable difference" and the heroine fully agrees. it is an original take on the liar's paradox. because if both unequivocally agree about their "irreconcilable differences" then the judge might be put in doubts about those differences being really irreconcilable (there might be some common ground eventually — i.e. the mutual agreement about "differences"). this reason for divorce would seem much more credible if heroine would strongly disagree with the hero (or vice versa) about their differences being irreconcilable.

there were many other scenes that were no less witty (and occasionally made me laugh aloud)...

howgh!
wba

Post by wba »

I haven't been here for a few months, but you have amassed so many wonderful posts since then, with so many magical names (and some of my favorite films): Eckhart Schmidt, Roger Fritz (with whom I made a few audio commentaries for DVD/Blu-ray releases), Ulrike Ottinger, Helma Sanders-Brahms, Peter Fleischmann, Kurt Kren, Ulrike Ottinger, David Llywelyn who made music for GEORGE MOORSE (a phenomenal way too little-known filmmaker (originally from the USA) whom I can't recommend enough!!! - especially his film DER GRILLER, which you mentioned yourself, and which has also fantastic music), The Joint, Kent/ Canterbury scene, etc. etc.

PS: PORTRAIT OF AN UNKNOWN WOMAN and WEAK SPOT are so great and funny (and unsettling)!

Here's three musical excerpts from DER GRILLER by David Llywelyn with lyrics by director George Moorse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GurHyG-_k8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7p52n-bi8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8rChrZAQDE

here's an excerpt from his H.P. Lovecraft adaptation SCHATTEN AUS DER ZEIT, which he directed in the style of Marker's LA JETÉE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMZl12LwFBg
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

"George Moorse - Der Griller (1968)" looks truly great!
it has no subs at the moment, so started a pot.

i see the only other kg entry by GM is "George Moorse & Marco Serafini - Anderland (Episodes 1-22, 1980)"
The Anderland TV series dealt with the psyche of children and should reflect their reality in everyday life, but above all their dreams, desires and thinking. So, the inner life of the actor in this case primarily children, was repeatedly screened in the individual episodes. Goal of the series was there, in addition to the entertainment, educational influence the audience. A Lilliputian served (played by Carlo Ianni and Dirk Zalm) as a sort of intermediary between the adult and children’s world. A verse from the Bible referring to the content of the history appeared at the end of each episode. The individual episodes of the series set up in each other; each episode was dealt with in 30 minutes time. As topics, such as the sadness, loneliness, separation, conflicts or social coexistence were taken.

The special kind of confrontation with the inner life of children and the attempt to put in their psyche, by adults, had massive criticism of the concept of the series resulted. Many children suffered nightmares by the Anderland watching on television. Apparently, the producers had not properly assessed the sensitivity of children.
unfortunately, nearly zero seeders & no subs = completely out of reach.
then, there are 7 George Moorse requests (including "H.P. Lovecraft: Schatten aus der Zeit") so i voted for all of them.
that's all i can do for now (to get familiar with GM's work once).

but the good news is "Eckhart Schmidt - Männer sind zum Lieben da AKA Atlantis - Ein Sommermärchen (1970)" has got a brand new subs that are only avaiting approval!

if you elaborate on your encounters with Roger Fritz, i'll gladly read!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

IN THE STUDIO: GERHARD RICHTER (Hannes Reinhardt, 1969)
The film provides a glimpse of the artist's atelier in the year 1969 and documents Richter's process in painting "Ruhrtalbrücke (228)".
2007 poll No7:
GERHARD RICHTER'S WINDOW (Corinna Belz)
The 30-minute documentary "Gerhard Richter. Das Kölner Domfenster" (2007) by Corinna Belz offers insight into the complex decision-making and production processes involved in making the new window for the south transept of Cologne cathedral. The author followed Gerhard Richter and the progress of the work for over two years. The film shows the numerous developmental steps that lead from the initial idea of a field of colour, both simple and convincing, to how the work ultimately turned out.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

2007 poll No8:
THE HEART IS A DARK FOREST (Nicolette Krebitz)

pitfalls of matrimony with a violinist-bigamist.

and subsequent awakening of Medea.
http://www.electricsheepmagazine.co.uk/ ... e-krebitz/

This year’s Birds Eye View Festival opened with German writer-director Nicolette Krebitz’s second feature The Heart Is a Dark Forest, a daring, darkly stylish and artfully constructed marital drama centring on a woman’s emotional meltdown after she finds her illusions about bourgeois family life shattered forever. Vacillating between social realism, emotional tragedy and mysticism, Krebitz (who is best known in Germany as an actress) dissects what lies underneath the grid of social roles in contemporary society through an increasingly surreal modern-day version of Medea that is not always easy to digest, both formally and thematically.

With a mesmerising Nina Hoss and Devid Striesow in the lead roles, who last performed together in Christian Petzold’s remarkable thriller Yella, the film centres on Marie, who one morning accidentally discovers that her husband has a double life, with a second wife and little child in another suburban house just like hers. Utterly shaken and bewildered, Marie escapes into the nearby forest where she passes out. After returning to her children, strangely calm and collected, she attends a masked ball held in a friend’s country mansion in a scene reminiscent of Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut. There, she confronts her tragic fate and the inner demons that haunt her.

Pamela Jahn spoke to Nicolette Krebitz during the Birds Eye View Festival in March 2009.

Pamela Jahn: Your film is based on a tragedy of betrayal and focuses on a woman whose love ultimately leads to her destruction. What attracted you to this kind of subject matter?

Nicolette Krebitz: I saw Medea on stage and read the play again when I started working on a new script, so the story comes partly from Medea, and partly from some real-life cases that I discovered during my research. I found out that there were basically two different types of women, two different reactions, when they found out about the double lives of their partners. The first type just remained silent and never said a word about it, not even to their children, for fear of losing their husbands and the lives they lived. The second type of women reacted in a very extreme manner, most of them tried to kill themselves, and I was shocked by this. I started asking myself all these questions: Why would they do it? What’s the point? Are there really no more reasons to go on living? My conclusion was that it must have had a major impact on their desire for being wanted, being needed, and that it has something to do with their roles as mothers in society. They must have felt betrayed also in the way that they had given their lives and bodies to build a family, to become mothers and to raise children… It’s still a big deal, I think. And it’s this archaic feeling that caused such an extreme reaction, that I found very fascinating.

PJ: The metaphoric title perfectly matches the theme and the increasingly gloomy atmosphere you’re creating in your film. What does the image mean to you?

NK: Neither the man nor the woman in the film is to blame for what they do because of love. Most of the time, you don’t really know what it is that you love, or what you long for. Basically, you just don’t really know what you want when you love, and this for me is like a dark forest. It implies a lot of things that are hidden or invisible, but they are all part of what we call love…

PJ: In addition to the literary and cinematic references such as the masquerade scene in the castle, the film also has many theatrical elements, in particular the scenes in which Marie plays out her memories with Thomas on a sparse Brechtian stage. What was the idea behind this?

NK: To me the scenes that take place on a stage are the ones that draw the audience into the story. I think they are very necessary because they are the only moments where you see Marie and her husband Thomas, happy or not happy, but actually together. The rest of the film focuses on Marie and her point of view. To me these scenes are the soul of the film, because you see what their life as a couple has been, you witness their conversations, and thus you realise that everything that happens was mentioned before. It’s like psychoanalysis, when you reconstruct the past and look at what really has been said and done, and then you compare this to what you’ve built up in your mind.

PJ: Although we’re drawn into what happens to Marie and how she tries to cope with the situation, it seems that in a subtle way we’re also kept at a distance from her…

NK: Yeah, we change perspectives when we follow Marie. Sometimes we are inside of her, looking through her eyes, and sometimes we are spectators of the whole scenario. What I tried to do here was shifting between being part of society and being part of the person involved in this tragedy. And I think it’s important to get this distance from her, because she does something very cruel in the end.

PJ: Was it always your intention to end the film in such a surreal, nightmarish way?

NK: I don’t see it as unreal as a nightmare would be…It’s reality. Of course it is not a documentary, it’s a fiction film, and I tried to not let the audience down by being too…grey. But what fascinated me most was the fact that, if there is somebody just like you and an entire situation that mirrors your own life, you could just as well be deleted, because you are no longer of any use. This is how Marie feels, and this is because she had already given up on everything. It is possibly the most irrational decision and the darkest way to end this story, but my aim with this was to provoke a discussion in the audience.

PJ: What sort of reaction did you get from the German audience, especially women?

NK: A lot of women said they were very touched by the whole story, even the ending. Of course, they said they wouldn’t have gone that far, but they know that this is how it feels, and maybe it’s what they forbid themselves to do. But they could allow themselves to think about it through the movie…it’s a relief in a way. Because society expects all these things from a mother, and sometimes it’s just too much. And by the end of the day it’s a story about two people, a man and a woman, and too often it is down to the woman to deal with the situation.

PJ: You’ve recently contributed to a film called Germany 09: 13 Short Films about the State of the Nation, which premiered at the Berlinale in February, and your segment, ‘The Unfinished’, tells the story of a young writer who travels back in time to meet with Ulrike Meinhof and Susan Sontag in 1969. Do you feel an urge to make films about women or women’s issues in your work as a writer-director?

NK: I’m a woman and I tell stories and make films, and I think the film industry needs more women because they make different films. It’s a way of showing even to the male audience how we are, how we see things, how we feel things in order to understand it instead of treating women like objects or reduce them to being only mothers or only daughters. Yeah, so that’s my contribution but it doesn’t necessarily mean that I will also make films that deal with emancipation issues. It can be anything, but it will always be seen and told through my eyes.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

additional side note to the aforementioned THE HEART IS A DARK FOREST (Nicolette Krebitz, 2007).

i watched this film in two sessions.
first half i watched before going to the countryside and the second half i watched yesterday (i.e. after a few days gap).
after finishing the first half, i actually dreamt of the "Brechtian theatrical scenes" of this film in the subsequent night.
i mean, the scenes mentioned in the interview here...
PJ: In addition to the literary and cinematic references such as the masquerade scene in the castle, the film also has many theatrical elements, in particular the scenes in which Marie plays out her memories with Thomas on a sparse Brechtian stage. What was the idea behind this?

NK: To me the scenes that take place on a stage are the ones that draw the audience into the story. I think they are very necessary because they are the only moments where you see Marie and her husband Thomas, happy or not happy, but actually together. The rest of the film focuses on Marie and her point of view. To me these scenes are the soul of the film, because you see what their life as a couple has been, you witness their conversations, and thus you realise that everything that happens was mentioned before. It’s like psychoanalysis, when you reconstruct the past and look at what really has been said and done, and then you compare this to what you’ve built up in your mind.
in my dream, i was in a packed cinema watching a melodrama with hero and heroine played by two mimes (hero somewhat resembled a creepy clown Kuťásek from KUTASEK AND KUTILKA).
love story was proceeding well, coming to the point of a sex scene.
sex was treated by the two mimes by stopping acting altogether, doing nothing, only making lascivious grimaces (especially hero, heroine was rather self-restrained) and ultimately hero assuming a "climaxed" expression on his face and his hairdo being all of a sudden different.
hairdo one usually associates with lovemaking is disheveled hair being scattered in all directions, but in this case, hero climaxed with all the hair aiming unequivocally backwards (as if he would be exposed to (passed through) an aerodynamic tunnel with a strong wind blowing into his face).
the sex scene (with absent sex) was frenetically applauded by the packed cinema.
i even noticed there are children in the auditorium who are clasping their hands no less frenetically than the adults.
it was not completely obvious if the present children applaud the treatment of the sex in the film or just mimic adults (without having a clue what all this aerodynamic hairdo really means).
it was all weird and i was appalled.
omitting sex from melodrama this way seemed to me even dumber than the usual way of sex omission in the name of decency in melodramas meant for the prudish audience.
i was truly disgusted and made my utter disgust explicit by starting to criticize the film aloud (still in the middle of the cheering crowd).
i became such a vehement oneiric critic that i woke up.

i didn't realize immediately my dream was triggered by the "Brechtian theatrical scenes" in the film.
only somewhat later (while deliberating about the dream) i recalled those scenes in film and made the connection.

while watching the film (when it became quite fast obvious hero is a prick) i was thinking how come all these ladies (it is a recurrent pattern in melodramas) are entering the matrimony with these idiots. wasn't it obvious right from the start he is an asshole? was the lady blind or was he such a good imposter? there was absolutely no trace that would make it comprehensible why this particular hero and heroine entered matrimony. only the "Brechtian theatrical scenes" revealed there might have been some moments of "genuine" affection. why my subconscious digested those theatrical scenes the way it did i have still no clue?

at the moment, i don't feel like including this film in my 2007 ballot but maybe i will change my mind.
prior to this film, i had no clue that heroines switching into the self-destructive mode after their rose-tinted dreams are being crushed to pieces is actually a Medea theme.
i guess, i will watch some more Medea-related films as a result of watching this film (and thus i might appreciate THE HEART IS A DARK FOREST more in the future — for triggering some possibly fruitful investigations).

anyway, whoever watched Yella and is curious to see another 2007 flick with the "Léaud of the Berlin School" (i.e. Devid Striesow) can find it in Res.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

second additional side note to the aforementioned THE HEART IS A DARK FOREST.

if i count right, it is only a second film i watched containing filicide.
according to the academic sources (quoted by the non-academic (dilettante) encyclopedia), there are "five main motives for filicide"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filicide

Dr. Phillip Resnick published research on filicide in 1969 and stated that there were five main motives for filicide, including "altruistic," "fatal maltreatment," "unwanted child," and "spousal revenge." "Altruistic" killings occur because the parent believes that the world is too cruel for the child, or because the child is enduring suffering (whether this is actually occurring or not). In fatal maltreatment killings, the goal is not always to kill the child, but death may occur anyway, and Munchausen syndrome by proxy is in that category. Spousal revenge killings are killings of children done to indirectly harm a domestic partner; they do not frequently occur.
THE HEART IS A DARK FOREST offers a Medea type of filicide or "spousal revenge killing of children done to indirectly harm a domestic partner".
this gruesome revenge act is (i expect) ultimately perceived as a horrible overreaction and can trigger in the third (uninvolved) party a sort of sympathy (compassion) with the original culprit (a domestic partner whose misdeeds are being revenged by filicide) because it is generally felt this is a type of revenge nobody deserves. Tho i have yet to thoroughly investigate the Medea myth and the impact of the Medea type of revenge (murder-suicide) on public opinion.

the other film i watched in the past offered a filicide with a more subversive impact (in my view).
the film was called CARELESS LOVE (Francine Winham, 1976) and i watched it as a part of my "London Women's Film Group" investigations.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1995272/
https://letterboxd.com/film/careless-love-1976/

A man tells to his lover he won't get engaged to someone who has already been married.
---
A woman will do anything to keep her new man.
---
Careless Love is a ten minute short which was shot over the course of a single day. Its content was influenced by a Rainer Werner Fassbinder play about a woman who poisons her husband, brother and lover. This one follows a similar basic template but amends it so that it is a little more disturbing if anything.
in this short, a heroine who realizes her children (from her past relationship) are a stumbling block to her new relationship switches into a psychopathic mode and commits filicide (thus making fully explicit sociopathy of her new spouse who wants to marry a "virgin").

the heart is truly a dark forest (i see)!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
footnote to this additional side note:
actually, i watched one more filicide flick.
THERE WAS ONCE A MILLER ON THE RIVER (Jiří Brdečka, 1971)
but in this case, it is a "filicide by mistake", so it almost doesn't count.