SCFZ poll: Dominik Graf

flip

SCFZ poll: Dominik Graf

Post by flip »

Polling the films of director Dominik Graf

The rules:

- your list can include no more than half of the Graf films you've seen, up to a maximum of 5. So if you've seen seven of his films, for example, you can list only a top 3. It's only if you've seen ten or more of his films than you can list the maximum of five.

- i'll assume ballots are ranked unless you tell me otherwise. unranked ballots are fine.

- deadline for ballots: next Friday, in seven days, whatever day that is

- if anyone is watching films for these polls, then i'll extend the deadline up to three days, if someone requests an extension

- next poll: whoever posts the first ballot in this thread is free to nominate the director we poll next, unless you've nominated in this round already (everyone should get a chance). Already nominated this round: umbugbene, greennui, evelyn, bure, m arkadin, mrcarmady, nrh, brian d, mesnalty, kanafani, st gloede, ofrene, silga, greg x, therouxxx, charulata

umbugbene created an index on letterboxd of all of our previous polls here: letterboxd.com/umbugbene/list/index-of-all-scfz-director-polls/

one rule for nominees: at least 3 scfzers need to have seen 10+ of a nominee's films, or at least 4 scfzers need to have seen at least 8 of the nom's films, so if it isn't clear if that will be the case, we'll confirm that's true before moving forward

if 24 hours pass after a poll opens, and no one eligible to nominate has posted a ballot, then i'll nominate someone, and then we'll start over, and everyone will be able to nominate again
flip

Re: SCFZ poll: Dominik Graf

Post by flip »

i think it's probably going to be a good idea to use the extended rules for this poll:

- if you have seen an odd number of graf films, you can round up instead of down to determine the length of your ballot (so if you've seen 7 graf films, you can list a 4-film ballot instead of the usual 3)

- if you have seen more than 10 graf films, your list can extend beyond a top five (so if you've seen 13, you can list a top 7), up to a maximum length of 8.
flip

Post by flip »

The Cat

seen one, it was great, would like to see more
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

See 2 films only. My favorite also is
The Cat (1988)
brian d

Post by brian d »

only seen 1

der felsen
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

The Cat
The Invincibles
nrh

Post by nrh »

tatort: frau bu lacht
the invincibles
der felsen
im angesicht des verbrechens
the cat
dreileben: don't follow me around

might try to watch a few of the subtitled ones i still have left to see...
Last edited by nrh on Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

embarrassingly, i watched only A MAP OF THE HEART (when wba played it in a cup).
now, dlded FRIENDS OF FRIENDS and BELOVED SISTERS which i will watch once JIDFF will be over.
i would try some more, but i have an issue with "KOMMISSAR" figures in films. i really can't stand it!
(i am still not able to grasp why Werner Herzog made BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS.)
is there any other (besides those 3 mentioned) cool Dominik Graf film without a cop?
(or at least a cop not being a prominent figure in the film.)
otherwise, i desperately wish to watch OPEN WOUNDS & DOOMED LOVE: A JOURNEY THROUGH GERMAN GENRE FILMS but i don't expect subs will be available any soon.
nrh

Post by nrh »

of the ones i've seen am abend aller tage (a kind of sideways erotic thriller take on henry james aspern papers) and cold spring (a very hard to describe, but i think fascinating melodrama) aren't connected with the policier at all. i haven't seen them yet but bitter innocence and your best years are melodramas and have subtitles.

would love to see many of his non-policier or crime films that don't have subs (the vow, red cockatoo, the gamblers, treffer...)
FLABREZU

Post by FLABREZU »

Damn I've seen no cinema by this man
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

nrh wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:03 am am abend aller tage, cold spring, bitter innocence, your best years
thanks! gonna watch these 4 too (hopefully, before the poll's deadline).
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

Seen 3

1. The Invincibles (Die Sieger)
2. The Cat (Die Katze)
Last edited by john ryan on Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
:lboxd:
wba

Post by wba »

01. Das zweite Gesichte "Second Sight" (1982)
02. Der Skorpion "The Scorpion" (1997)
03. Der Felsen "A Map of the Heart" (2002)
04. Die Sieger "The Invincibles" (1994)
05. Die Katze "The Cat" (1988)
06. Kalter Frühling "Cold Spring" (2003)
07. Cassandras Warnung "Cassandra's Warning" (2011)
08. Offene Wunde deutscher Film [Director's Cut] "Open Wounds – A Journey through German Genre Films" (2017)

Graf seen (excluding TV series like "Im Angesicht des Verbrechens"): 22, of which 11 are personal favorites.
Last edited by wba on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

Graf has made a lot of cop/crime films, but most of his films are not about gangsters or the police. He has made many documentaries, essay films, melodramas, comedies, historical movies, youth films, literary adaptations, prestige pictures, "Rohmer"-style films, character portraits - even a horror movie, a biker movie and a film about gambling. He's extremely versatile and can pull off almost anything.

Of the roughly 60 feature films he's made so far, about 20 are crime movies or have a cop or a gangster as a protagonist. Almost all of his TV-series stuff (of which he has also done a lot) is in the crime genre, though.
Last edited by wba on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
flip

Post by flip »

oscarwerner wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:52 pm See 2 films
oscar, you can pick our next director if you like!
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

With great pleasure ! I propose Bertrand Tavernier. Have seen more then 12 films.
Alternative if Tavernier doesn`t work- Costa-Gavras. Have more then 12 films of this director as well.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Bertrand Tavernier - 1
Costa-Gavras - 5

Post by ... »

13 Taverniers
flip

Post by flip »

interesting choices, two directors we don't talk about very often around here, i've seen:

9 Costa Gavras
5 Tavernier
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

8 Tavernier
4 Costa-Gavras
flip

Post by flip »

ok, thanks for the input, tavernier will definitely work so i'll start that poll on tuesday!

looks like costa gavras should work too, for future reference, though we'd need to find one more person with 7+ seen
wba

Post by wba »

Tavernier: 3
Costa-Gavras: 2
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

Nice. I also hope somebody will appear with 7+ of Costa-Gavras...

Post by ... »

Just 7 for me, but I can probably sneak in a short for number 8 when Costra-Gavras gets another shot.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

seen 1, enjoyed it, currently in the process of making subs for it

eine stadt wird erpresst

grabbing a couple more, would be great if you left it open for a bit longer!
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
flip

Post by flip »

MrCarmady wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:34 pm grabbing a couple more, would be great if you left it open for a bit longer!
the poll? it wasn't going to close until friday anyway, but can extend it longer if you want more time
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

flip wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:52 pm the poll? it wasn't going to close until friday anyway, but can extend it longer if you want more time
my JIDFF pass expires on 8/11 and then i am going to watch 6 films i grabbed for this poll. can this poll stay open as long as possible? all these directors' polls go so fast! i am dizzy.
flip

Post by flip »

jiri kino ovalis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:20 pm all these directors' polls go so fast! i am dizzy.
just to explain why things work this way (since i don't think you were around when we started these polls up), they were set up this way on purpose, really -- the original idea was that people probably wouldn't watch films specifically for the directors polls most of the time. they'd just be a fun little exercise that might inspire a bit of conversation about specific directors sometimes. when we started them, we had other major polls running (and we still do, not quite as many of them though) like the year polls and genre polls, and those are left open a lot longer because people often watch a lot of films for them. i didn't want these mini-polls to detract from those bigger polls.

of course when someone does want to explore a director we're polling, i'm happy to leave the poll open. i probably wouldn't want to leave it open more than a week past the original deadline though.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

thanks for explaining, flip. i truly missed directors' polls foundation times.
so, here is my vote (for now), and whatever i will finish before the deadline (whenever it will be) i will edit the post.

ballot...
BELOVED SISTERS
YOUR BEST YEARS

COLD SPRING
A MAP OF THE HEART
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:40 am, edited 11 times in total.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

For later reference, seen 10 by Costa-Gavras.

None by Graf though I'm afraid.