Post by rischka »

lol no it's fine I'm over it :lol:
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Joks Trois

Re: History of SCFZ

Post by Joks Trois »

pabs wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:56 am I ADORED The Auteurs forum! I discovered it very late, unfortunately, only a year, or maybe two, before it became Mubi. I wish I'd made copies of many posts there and saved them in word documents. There were so many astute and knowledgeable film buffs contributing there, great insights and arguments about film styles, techniques, etc., discussions about when these things first appeared, how they evolved and were adapted later, and who the best practitioners of various filmcraft were, all that writing is now lost! Such a shame!
Agree with all of that. There were so many threads dedicated to films and directors that would rarely ever be discussed elsewhere, especially with the same level of detail. The Tony Scott thread, which Rischka and others have mentioned here before, was pretty amazing really. Regardless of what you think of him as a film maker, many fascinating arguments were made for the merits of his work, to the point where many users were forced to reevaluate some of his later films that they had previously dismissed. Domino, for example, is a film that I thought was pretty much junk on release in the mid 00's. Now it's almost my favourite film of his.

I also enjoyed the long threads on so called 'slow cinema' too. Again, it was discussed with more knowledge and detail than on any other film board I've come across.

Regarding saving threads, I wish I did that too. Mubi gave users the option to download all of their posts before closing the forum, but the files did not open for many users. They didn't open for me.
sally

Post by sally »

rischka

Post by rischka »

i wonder... he's following a bunch of mubis

i don't remember enough about his taste to really tell.

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

fairly sure, but the profile pic is giving me wrongness

that's better
rischka

Post by rischka »

lol

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Aureliu

Post by Aureliu »

rischka wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:13 am
What about Cedric? The Brazilian one.
but he is instead german?
Gondo has been around since the auteurs days. Still active on letterboxd and twitter. Seems to be a good guy also.

But the one I'm talking about is this one http://mubi.com/users/1586189
rischka

Post by rischka »

You're right I've confused these 2 as gondo is called cedric on twitter :|

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Aureliu

Post by Aureliu »

sally

Post by sally »

"For that matter, nobody ever moves closer to or farther away from the camera either (when characters are walking, the camera locks on them with a dolly, or they are filmed with a long lens usually in an alley. Point being, they are trapped. And Naruse never gave acting direction, so not only are they trapped, they don’t know what to do."

bless you jerry
RenaultR

Post by RenaultR »

I guess I'm resurrecting this thread, since I've been dwelling quite a bit on the good old Mubi days lately. I'm not sure why. Perhaps finally taking the initiative to start my own film blog has pushed me to take a walk down memory lane and reminisce on my film loving journey. I was Mars in Aries, and I know I wasn't always the most well-liked member of the Mubi forum, especially under some of the aliases preceding MiA, none of which I can recall now. I have yet to meet someone from the MUBI/SCFZ community in person, although I'm friends with Tomas Roges....and...wait...for it...Dimitris on Facebook.

I discovered Mubi when it was still The Auteurs back in January of 2010. I think I just randomly fell upon it while googling GOAT lists. I was 21 at the time. I liked the site's interface, discovered the forum there and then voila. That's basically it. I was definitely a newb at the time. I hadn't seen much beyond 8 1/2, The Godfather, The 400 Blows, etc.

Here's my blog by the way: remyrenault.com

It only has two posts so far, but check it out anyway! And feel free to get the comments sections going. :)

P.S. I can't remember when the MUBI forum was officially axed. Was it 2015 or 2016 or sometime around there?
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

I believe it was 2014

what up Mars, i was one of the least liked members of Mubi (Curtis Francis) and ive been included here, so its clear we bear no prejudices held over from internets past (o:
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
RenaultR

Post by RenaultR »

Curtis, baby wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:13 am I believe it was 2014

what up Mars, i was one of the least liked members of Mubi (Curtis Francis) and ive been included here, so its clear we bear no prejudices held over from internets past (o:
Haha. I remember you going ape s**t( :pirates: ) on me once for making a post that was a bit on the wok-ish side, but that's ancient history. :D

And yes. I just perused the Tapatalk site, and it appears it was early 2014. It's hard to believe it was that long ago. I hope this forum isn't dying. It doesn't appear to be very active at the moment.