List 'em.
Monsieur Arkadin

Re: Your favourite television shows

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I do not watch a lot of television (other than Jeopardy.) But I love:

Twin Peaks (O.g. and The Return)
Peep Show
Fawlty Towers

I enjoyed The Wire, and Arrested Development as well.
sally

Post by sally »

time team
and then i quote at least once a day from:
alan partridge
bottom

and then:
the thick of it
the day today
blackadder
father ted
detectorists (see above)
black books

most of the shows i loved when i was younger don't stand revisiting (she-ra is nowhere near as erotic as i remember it, and 'allo allo is some dark dark shit)

i liked rome, but thats just cuz ciaran hinds, and james purefoy naked probably. (and see above)

the only tv show i've watched recently (ie the only one in the past year, i hate british tv it's garbage) is what we do in the shadows series 2. is that bad that i find matt berry hilarious in everything? or possibly i just fancy kayvan novak.

i'd say the mighty boosh too but noel fielding is just too annoying
flip

Post by flip »

rough top 25:

deadwood
fargo
the shield
generation kill
the wire
the newsroom
nathan for you
peep show
review with myles barlow
terriers
the practice
house md
the west wing
the good wife
lost
extras
the sopranos
review with forrest mcneil
veep
last resort
it's always sunny in philadelphia
qi
homeland
friday night lights
damages
the unbreakable kimmy schmidt
nrh

Post by nrh »

what we do in the shadows series 2 is probably the tv series from this year i've enjoyed the most, and matt berry's solo episode (jackie daytona!) is easily the best.

all time favorites -

both series of ashita no joe, the greatest novel length boxing melodrama ever filmed
malgudi days, not including the later revival not directed by shankar nag
columbo
poirot with david suchet (up through season 06)
the avengers
miami vice
enlightened
eastbound and down
danger man + the prisoner
the westerner
maison ikkoku
kemonozume
kaiba
review (american version)
it's always sunny

wish more of the dominik graf tv stuff was available but i've loved everything i've seen.

lots of stuff i liked at a certain time but wouldn't feel comfortable putting down without a revisit. there's a lot of wonderful stuff on british tv when it was like ghost stories at christmas time and alan clarke movies and whatever the owl service was and so on but i don't really know what to call all of that.

i'm absurdly fond of a few seasons of trailer park boys as well...
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

cartoons: Clone High, Home Movies

comedy-dramas: Gilmore Girls, Bunheads

comedies: Party Down, The Young Ones, Bored to Death

dramas: The O.C., My So-Called Life, The Sopranos

from my childhood but i still love them: Tintin, Rupert, The Wonder Years
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
sally

Post by sally »

i never rewatched ren and stimpy even tho i happy happy joy joy and log song at people a lot. would i be disappointed watching them again?

someone i know in real life with a brain recommended me it's always sunny so i dutifully watched the first series and it was just guys being nasty juvenile dicks to each other. i always imagined there was another tv show called exactly the same thing that everyone else was watching. just never got it.

also i laughed at just reading 'jackie daytona', matt berry is that good.

i also forgot to say i binge watch antiques roadshow and all the ones on netflix where two guys drive round the vast rural backroads of america fleecing innocent senile farmers for all the tat they store in barns and then sell it on for massive incomprehensible profit.
nrh

Post by nrh »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 pm i never rewatched ren and stimpy even tho i happy happy joy joy and log song at people a lot. would i be disappointed watching them again?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ar ... xual-abuse
Silga

Post by Silga »

The Simpsons!

I mean, to me The Simpsons is everything. It's more important than anything else on TV or film. I hold it as the greatest achievement since man invented the wheel.

As a 90s kid I remember watching some Law and Order, The X-Files, The O.C., even Baywatch (that theme song was stuck in my head as a kid), but never committed to any show from the 1st episode to the last one.

Other than that, I always maintained that watching tv shows is a time wasted by not watching films.

Nevertheless, I'm making some exceptions and I've started watching more tv recently and I'm enjoying most of it.

The Shows I liked the most, including mini-series:

Fargo - the 1st season is one of my favorites from the last decade - tv or film regardless.
Boardwalk Empire
The Great
The Mandalorian
Escape at Dannemora
Show Me a Hero

I'm currently watching the 1st season of Homicide: Life on the Street and I'm enjoying it immensely.

The Shows I have on my watchlist:

The X-Files
Oz
Six Feet Under
Olive Kitteridge
The Young Pope & The New Pope
Crime Story
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Practice
Chernobyl (if only because it was filmed here in Vilnius for the most part. Also because this week Belarus launched their new Nuclear Power Plant and it stands just 20 km from the Lithuanian border and 50 km from where I live. Local municipalities are already providing everyone with iodine pills. With everything that's happening on the other side of the border right now and because they rejected most of the international requests for safety inspections, I don't trust that plant one bit.)
sally

Post by sally »

nrh wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:27 pm
twodeadmagpies wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 pm i never rewatched ren and stimpy even tho i happy happy joy joy and log song at people a lot. would i be disappointed watching them again?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ar ... xual-abuse
thanks. sigh.
nrh

Post by nrh »

ugh i thought it was clear in the name of the link posted but i see it doesn't fully show up in mobile version so - cw for description of very troubling sexual abuse of minors. sorry to post without making that clear.
therouxxx

Post by therouxxx »

I was way into TV before I got into movies, but I don't really watch much anymore. I added some stuff I like or liked at some point. Can't recommend all of these, but it's historically accurate. I also added specific seasons and episodes based on what I remember:

The Three Stooges, The Early Edition, 24, Prison Break, Lost, Persons Unknown, Chuck, Justified, Breaking Bad, Homeland (earlier seasons), Orphan Black, Luther, The Wire (s1-s3), The Jinx, Louie, Mad Men, Game of Thrones (s6,s8e2), The Leftovers (s1,s2,s3e7), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (s1), Bojack Horseman, Black Mirror (The National Anthem, Fifteen Million Merits, Be Right Back, Nosedive, Playtest), Master of None (s1), Love (s1), Girls (s5,s6e9), Orange is the New Black, Easy (brewery brothers episodes in s1 & s2), Atlanta (s2e4), Parts Unknown, Transparent, The OA (s1e1), Twin Peaks (s3), The Sopranos, Mindhunter, Ozark (s1), The Deuce (s1), Mosaic, Sharp Objects, Tokyo Vampire Hotel (e1,e2), Cheers (s1e1), Sweetbitter (s1,s2), The Outsider (s1e1), She, The Last Dance (e1), Control Z (s1)

Obviously was heavily into prestige TV ilk for awhile. Could get into TV again... kinda interested in the WB-CW teen shows of the late 00s like Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, The O.C., Hart of Dixie, etc.
Last edited by therouxxx on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Here's a complete list of what I watch willingly on TV:

- US election coverage incl. Democratic convention (coming up!)
- Oscars
- Late night comedy / SNL (occasionally)
- Super Bowl (sometimes)

The only TV show I ever loved was The Twilight Zone. I'm interested in Twin Peaks, so I'll catch up with that someday. I'm sure there are other good series out there, but they take so much time.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Out of the stuff mentioned, I love Mad Men, Bojack Horseman, The Wire, Party Down, Gilmore Girls, The Thick of It, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development, The West Wing, Blackadder, Peep Show, Twilight Zone (although I've seen far from all of it) and like Easy, the earlier seasons of Homeland, and Breaking Bad a lot.
Out of the stuff not mentioned, I love Seinfeld, naturally, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Happy Endings, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Brass Eye, the UK Office (even if Ricky Gervais is fucking insufferable it's pretty much a perfect show). Another great British show is People Just Do Nothing. Also have a massive soft spot for Scrubs and the early seasons of Community. Band of Brothers kinda straddles the line between TV and film and it's amazing, of course.
I don't watch a huge amount of TV in general, been slowly making my way through The Sopranos and enjoying it. Also wanna see Deadwood, Fawlty Towers, finish Six Feet Under, Generation Kill, Fargo, True Detective...
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
greennui

Post by greennui »

Comedy:

The Simpsons (Seasons 1-9)
The Thick of It
King of the Hill
Futurama
Trailer Park Boys (early seasons)
Arrested Development (Season 1-3)

I'm quite allergic to sitcom's with a laugh track.

Drama:

The Wire
Mad Men
Twin Peaks

Anime:

One Piece (Still following it after 10+ years)
Mushishi
Rurouni Kenshin
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

La Maison des bois
Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day
Certain parts of Twin Peaks (large parts of season 2 are unwatchable)
Early seasons of NYPD Blue

I used to watch more TV in a previous life. I've enjoyed many of the usual suspects (the wire, the sopranos, Friday night lights, firefly, Fawlty Towers, Yes minister, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, deadwood, The Larry Sanders Show, breaking bad, better call saul...)