What film is this?

Monsieur Arkadin

What film is this?

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I thought there was a dedicated board for this, but I can't find it.
I believe it's an old soviet film (Kyrgiz maybe?) it has a definite SovColor look to it. I'm pretty confident its a romance/melodrama taking place in a snowy rural area, and the Male character at one point castrates a reindeer and it has a bizarre animal scream while does it. But the music is whimsical and it's sort of a meet-cute scene where he shows off his skills.

Any help would be appreciated!
greennui

Re: What film is this?

Post by greennui »

Monsignor Arkadin wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:42 pm I thought there was a dedicated board for this, but I can't find it.
I believe it's an old soviet film (Kyrgiz maybe?) it has a definite SovColor look to it. I'm pretty confident its a romance/melodrama taking place in a snowy rural area, and the Male character at one point castrates a reindeer and it has a bizarre animal scream while does it. But the music is whimsical and it's sort of a meet-cute scene where he shows off his skills.

Any help would be appreciated!
It's not Soviet but it sounds a little like Teuvo Tulio's crazy technicolor melodrama "Sensuela".

At one point, a Sami chieftain castrates a reindeer in front the young main couple and the obviously fake reeindeer gives off a weird scream.

The film has got an almost constant operatic score that gives off a really bizarre vibe.
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

greennui wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:27 pm It's not Soviet but it sounds a little like Teuvo Tulio's crazy technicolor melodrama "Sensuela".

At one point, a Sami chieftain castrates a reindeer in front the young main couple and the obviously fake reeindeer gives off a weird scream.

The film has got an almost constant operatic score that gives off a really bizarre vibe.
That's it! Thank you. It was driving me nuts. I saw a couple scenes a while back and made a mental note to search it out, but neglected to write anything down and continue to forget all details to help me track it down.
greennui

Post by greennui »

It's a fun film, I rewatched it last year with a Finnish girl I was dating. It's like Tulio wanted to remake his entire filmography in color with just one film. 'Sirkian softcore' is good description for it.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

I've had two films flashing through my memory for about 15 years, both of which I watched on tv, but I do not, nor did I at the time, have any idea what films they are. Maybe someone here knows.

Film 1:
80s or 90s (?) film with a bunch of teenagers / high schoolers in a grocery store / Target type store in the middle of the night?

Film 2:
Some kids / teenagers break into a some kind of factory at night, something to do with a science fair?

It's not much, but it's all I got.
:lboxd:

Post by ... »

Do you have any idea of a rough genre they might have fit or whether the kids were stars or unknowns or even a rough guess on numbers?(only two or more than that, maybe a lot more?) Were they US films? Like the first one could be that John Hughes film with Jennifer Connelly, Career Opportunities, or maybe Night of the Comet, among I think quite a few others.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Film 2 reminds me of Joe Dante's EXPLORERS, but it's a junkyard the kids break into at night.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

greg x wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:28 amCareer Opportunities
Just watched a clip of it on YouTube - that's the one! Nice job, greg. That has bugged me for so long, haha.

Film 2, not Explorers. It was based more in reality, almost having the vibe of a film like October Sky - I believe it was from the 80s or 90s as well.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

edit: I finally figured it out, after doing a bunch of google searches.

Film 2 is The Manhattan Project (1986). I was a little off on the age of the kids (highschool), but I distinctly remembered a scene of breaking into some sort of factory / lab, which is featured in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spOWFb7zfOo

Thanks guys! :D
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

I remember watching a Latin American film once and thinking "oh ok so this is just very clearly the grammatical inspiration for vertigo" but i don't remember the name. it basically did the zoom-out-add-depth-vertigo thing exactly as hitch would later do it. p sure the film is either Argentinian or Mexican

any ideas?
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

WHAT FILM IS THIS!!

- from 2000 to 2007
- heist movie? either jewels or a bank
- group heist. the main thief's daughter is involved? like maybe they're kinda estranged? and she's also a thief?
- has action scene with snow and skiing at some point - possibly in the alps?

ANY IDEA?????????????????
wba

Post by wba »

Curtis, baby wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:07 am I remember watching a Latin American film once and thinking "oh ok so this is just very clearly the grammatical inspiration for vertigo" but i don't remember the name. it basically did the zoom-out-add-depth-vertigo thing exactly as hitch would later do it. p sure the film is either Argentinian or Mexican

any ideas?

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen this but can't remember anything right now. Sorry!
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

Curtis, baby wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:53 pm WHAT FILM IS THIS!!

- from 2000 to 2007
- heist movie? either jewels or a bank
- group heist. the main thief's daughter is involved? like maybe they're kinda estranged? and she's also a thief?
- has action scene with snow and skiing at some point - possibly in the alps?

ANY IDEA?????????????????

Sounds a bit like REINDEER GAMES? But it's the main thief's sister there, not his daughter...
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
nrh

Post by nrh »

reindeer games is what first came to mind as well, but it doesn't seem quite right? and the estranged daughter made me think of matchstick men, but that is definitely not the movie you're looking for.
wba

Post by wba »

nrh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:54 pm reindeer games is what first came to mind as well, but it doesn't seem quite right? and the estranged daughter made me think of matchstick men, but that is definitely not the movie you're looking for.

Yeah, no snow and skiing in Matchstick Men...
wba

Post by wba »

Maybe THE ICE HARVEST (2005, Ramis)? Haven't seen it myself yet (though I've bought the DVD some years ago), so I don't wanna check the plot description because of spoilers and such.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

i was wrong its not the main thief its an auxiliary thief! i was thinking of "the italian job"
wba

Post by wba »

Anyways, there shouldn't be more than 200 or 300 prominent feature lenght heist films that were made between 2000 and 2007.
And how many of them have scenes in the snow?
Shouldn't be THAT hard to find out, I would guess.
wba

Post by wba »

Curtis, baby wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:51 pm i was wrong its not the main thief its an auxiliary thief! i was thinking of "the italian job"

They are skiing in the snow in The Italian Job? Doesn't it take place in California or something?

Glad you found it!!! I still have to watch it!!!

[I'm obsessed with Heist films and I've been watching a lot of them over the years - maybe it's because I used to hate Heist movies as a young cinephile snob? Who knows...
Here's a list of my favorites: https://letterboxd.com/wba/list/great-heist-movies/ ]
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

i havent seen it since it came out, but it might bounce around between europe and cali. i think the alps scene or w/e might have been relatively minor, but the shots made a big impression on high school me

this is a fun list! i think i just downloaded big deal on madonna street from kg 0_0
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

this is kind of crazy, but i know there are some people on here who are very knowledgeable and fellow poverty row enthusiasts. for years i have been trying to find the title of this movie. it's a comedy (either b picture or made by a poverty row studio) about gangsters and a girl (sort of an imitation lupe velez) hiding out in a farmhouse because cops have put the heat on in the city. lots of gags about gangsters doing farm work and such. i could have sworn george meeker was in this film but i've searched his filmography multiple times and haven't found anything like it. but there is a george meeker-esque actor, at the least, who plays one of the suspicious townspeople. i saw this film 15-16 years ago, downloaded off the internet archive (have searched various terms there for it as well; no luck). if anyone knows what this could be or happens to come across a movie that sounds like this...please let me know! thank you