Re: 1914 Poll

Post by rischka »

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

oh wow. if asta the bandit burst into my bedroom, i would try to snog her too.

loved zapata's gang

sally

Post by sally »

ah, i found it! it was a mubi directors cup

2011 April 19 – Ulrich Seidl (Dog Days) vs Benjamin Christensen (The Mysterious X) CAT AND KAI WHITE

god i hope i voted for christensen. can't find my comments though to find out.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:32 pm oh wow. if asta the bandit burst into my bedroom, i would try to snog her too.

loved zapata's gang
so glad! it charmed me altogether too.
sally

Post by sally »

AARGH! 👻

i'll forget the film, but this coming after the still living (now dead) communards, was creepy
rischka

Post by rischka »

me and my cat watching cabiria

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Evelyn Library P.I.

rischka wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:33 am me and my cat watching cabiria
lol :lol:
sally

Post by sally »

this was fun. i think a reel was out of order but this is so much bonkers jules verney i don't think it would make that much more sense even in the right order & with subs. still rollicking, regardless. it had sea. i'm happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3hIawUglY
sally

Post by sally »

also because of that i found this amazing site and am now super happy

https://www.thecinetourist.net/
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Aargh, and it's signed by Jasset! But Dutch titles.

That's the same bit of Vernerie that was filmed in 1962 as In Search Of The Castaways, with Hayley Mills and Maurice Chevalier, something I never knew. Thank Heaven for little girls.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
sally

Post by sally »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:07 pm Aargh, and it's signed by Jasset! But Dutch titles.

That's the same bit of Vernerie that was filmed in 1962 as In Search Of The Castaways, with Hayley Mills and Maurice Chevalier, something I never knew. Thank Heaven for little girls.
and george sanders! in a disney movie. brain hurts just from watching the trailer.

thing about book adaptations is that you can read extensive plots that make the completely unguessable dutch titles almost unnecessary (although i think i got schipbreuk) - that is unless they mash the reel order up and go from being menaced by a demonic maori tribe in one frame to climbing up a mountain the next, but, it all came good in the end. thank heaven for little boys being carried off by giant vulture puppets.

Post by ... »

Oh my, that cinetourist site is awesome, I mean literally as I am awed by the efforts put in to some of the mapping like in the Irma Vep posts a letter location search. I love that stuff and wish I had more time and resources to do it myself as it can be a fun and rewarding little hobby. I started a brief "deep dive" into Hathaway's Nob Hill (along with Hello Frisco Hello, with which it shared an opening tracking shot and other elements) on a lark cuz someone here was stanning for Hathaway and it got me curious and looking into all the details was nifty for all the history it brought out and the sometimes sly choices made in filming as well. So happy you found that sire magpies!

Oh, and I have a soft spot for In Search of the Castaways as well for being wonderfully excessive and silly in a quite enjoyable way.
rischka

Post by rischka »

cabiria: too long too many characters v confusing in the last half but def looks cool and probs make my list

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Evelyn Library P.I.

agreed, that Cine-Tourist site is amazing, thanks for sharing such a great find!
rischka

Post by rischka »

me three! wonderful site. deep into the histoire(s) du cinema post 8-) alice guy wuz robbed!

i've tweeted about the site wth credit to you for it's discovery @twodeadmagpies :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Evelyn Library P.I.

Well, Les enfants du capitaine Grant indeed made zero sense to me, though maybe just for the Dutch intertitles and a shuffled reel. Some very pretty images of lighting (Jasset is surely the best ever at lighting on film!) and some memorable action images too (a boy racing a train by steed; a boy in the clutches of a vulture, recalling Porter) but it was too much of a mess plot-wise in this state for me to know what to do with it. Haven't read the Verne, mind, so that much is on me . Incidentally, Jasset and a couple other names are listed as directors: it was released in 1914, and Jasset died in mid-1913, so my guess is that Jasset died mid-production and other hands took over the task of completing it, but that's entirely a guess only. Pretty images:

Image Image Image
Lencho of the Apes

Oh, derpy me; I thought that The Squaw Man was going to be a movie about a berdache. Instead, it's a 1914 version of Axe Cop.
sally

Post by sally »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sally

Post by sally »

first, sorry evelyn if i made out that there was more to captain grant that just fun adventure (i totally LOL'd at the cow-chase) i just really enjoyed it. (i think it followed the wiki plot summary pretty well, if you went & retrospectively reordered some scenes)

but the main point is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOMAN OF TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got so excited i had to stop it halfway through to hop around the room, and then went and made some coffee so i could hop some more. NOTHING!!!! has changed 106 years later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! apart from that Иван Мозжухин is dead. he plays the best shit here and tho i previously loved him, i had him down as a continental john barrymore who revelled in his ham. now i am just fantasising about him playing my secret teen love nikolai stavrogin, but anyway and also...

the revelation scene (you know it's coming, no plot spoilers really) had me squealing, with their synchronised gazes moving apart and...is this the same staircase that is soooooooo emotionally loaded (for me, all the spaces & movements in that film are psychologically related to the characters) in bauer's mute witnesses? i almost fainted at the architecture in that, and then it turns up here????

woman of tomorrow:

mute witnesses:

and i don't know the full history of split screen phone conversations other than lois weber the year before, but

guess what, this is making my list. and now i am going to go and calm down. i never got so excited at a staircase.
sally

Post by sally »

did they ever need to make cinderella again after this one? it's all there. if i was a kid this would give me nightmares.

(but as i'm not, i want to marry the prince that thinks i'm this kind of princess)

and i've still not seen shoes (1916)!

1914 is such fun.
Lencho of the Apes

twodeadmagpies wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 pm
Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:38 pm the #1 most luridly awful
exactly the reason i wanted to see it!
I'm not sure I understand the hate -- I hardly felt like the movie approved of Carey's character, much less offered him as a "hero".

Thanks, ELPI, for placing a thing in the place and stuff.
sally

Post by sally »

oooh, either we're syncing up or running out of films - i was going to watch that today. i am curious about the vehemence of moviessilently's disgust, mainly because i don't often agree with her (apart from her fascination with ivan mosjoukine) but i wanted something longer so instead i watched reign of terror, which is everything i want in a poor-dear-marie-antoinette movie.

and this guy at the back that mostly thinks with what's in his trousers is a total dish

also, just look at the composition of this scene
Last edited by sally on Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lencho of the Apes

Is that the Capellani? I have it under a different title, but I'm planning to watch it tomorrow; maybe we are synching up.

Oh, BTW, there was a lot of split-screen telephone action in Mysterious X too. I guess it was a thing...
sally

Post by sally »

yeah that's the capellani, it's called the reign of terror on letterboxd. nice print too.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:39 pm
I'm not sure I understand the hate -- I hardly felt like the movie approved of Carey's character, much less offered him as a "hero".
Just watched it and I agree. Obviously nothing approaching anti-colonial or anti-racist, but it seems clear that the movie is positioning Carey as a fallen soul who must be lead back to the right path by love for a white woman. I won't be voting for it, but not as disgusting as all that.
sally

Post by sally »

okay guys, someone is taking the piss

wrath of the gods:

mcveagh of the south seas:

wrath of the gods:

mcveagh of the south seas:

ImageImage

ImageImage

seeing as that's frank borzage (you can't miss those ears) and he's the central young beau in wrath of the gods, i'd side with carey being slightly economical with his stormy seas, the old rascal.

fwiw i quite enjoyed mcveagh
Last edited by sally on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Library P.I.

twodeadmagpies wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:04 pm okay guys, someone is taking the piss
these comparisons are even more remarkable than the earlier one of Russian films! great eye, 2DM! :D

did carey just steal shots from wrath of gods, then?
sally

Post by sally »

i think so? there's more footage of the storm in the wrath of the gods (sorry, i keep dropping my "the"s lately) but without scrupulously replaying them side by side...i think he just lifted that section and inserted his own titles.

and google is telling me nothing.
Lencho of the Apes

Good work, Operative 2!
Evelyn Library P.I.

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:06 pm Good work, Operative 2!
I loled. Cinephiles are rather like detectives at times, aren't we?