SCFZ poll: Michael Mann

flip

SCFZ poll: Michael Mann

Post by flip »

Polling the films of director Michael Mann

The rules:

- your list can include no more than half of the Mann films you've seen, up to a maximum of 5. So if you've seen seven of his films, for example, you can list only a top 3. It's only if you've seen ten or more of his films than you can list the maximum of five.

- i'll assume ballots are ranked unless you tell me otherwise. unranked ballots are fine.

- deadline for ballots: next Friday, in seven days, whatever day that is

- if anyone is watching films for these polls, then i'll extend the deadline up to three days, if someone requests an extension

- next poll: whoever posts the first ballot in this thread is free to nominate the director we poll next, unless you've nominated in this round already (everyone should get a chance). Already nominated this round: oscarwerner, greennui

umbugbene created an index on letterboxd of all of our previous polls here: letterboxd.com/umbugbene/list/index-of-all-scfz-director-polls/

one rule for nominees: at least 3 scfzers need to have seen 10+ of a nominee's films, or at least 4 scfzers need to have seen at least 8 of the nom's films, so if it isn't clear if that will be the case, we'll confirm that's true before moving forward

if 24 hours pass after a poll opens, and no one eligible to nominate has posted a ballot, then i'll nominate someone, and then we'll start over, and everyone will be able to nominate again
flip

Re: SCFZ poll: Michael Mann

Post by flip »

Thief
Manhunter
Ali
The Insider

seen nine
flip

Post by flip »

first person to post a ballot (besides oscar and greennui), please feel free to nominate our next director!
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Seen 6:

1. Miami Vice
2. Thief
3. Heat

I'll suggest Shirley Clarke (I've got 10+), but I'll think of a backup as I suppose it's unlikely we'll have the views. There are a bunch of shorts streaming on the Criterion Channel though so it should be easy enough to get to 8...
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

Heat
Miami Vice
Manhunter
:lboxd:
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Seen enough to vote. None of them are worth even typing the names. One of the most extravagantly overpraised directors out there.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
flip

Post by flip »

we can definitely check on shirley clarke - if anyone else has 8+ seen, please post here!
brian d

Post by brian d »

seen 8

last of the mohicans
public enemies
the insider
collateral
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

Seen 7.

1. Thief
2. Heat
3. The Last of the Mohicans

Worst: Collateral

Post by ... »

Thief
Ali
Collateral
The Jericho Mile
The Last of the Mohicans

I'm never gonna get the hardcore Mann fandom, there's too much dumbassery even in the pretty to get me to go down that path, with the worst of them being almost unbearably dimwitted. I mean blackhat has to be one of the worst scripts to ever be taken seriously by anyone and the imagery, by that point of his career, is its own cliche. But some of his earlier films aren't bad, and a couple are downright solid, even as his the animating philosophy behind them isn't exactly sophisticated. Cops and crooks are a lot alike! Still, things like the way he works the transference between Cruise and Foxx in Collateral is captured well and some of Ali is better than I could have hoped to expect, which makes me wish he had worked outside the criminal mind crap more often, at least until I remember The Keep. I'll give Thief full credit for being at the forefront of a change in aesthetic and attitude that happened in the 80s, in a good way, even though a lot of what followed from that wasn't so hot. I don't really dislike Mann or find most of his movies to be without some interest, which is more than I can say for a lot of his contemporaries, but I gotta admit my reaction to him is partly a reaction to the vulgar fandom that I think champions his films way out of proportion to their value. Sorry vulgarians.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

seen 2

1. Collateral
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

And Michael Haneke will be my backup option
wba

Post by wba »

Mmmm, Mann! One of the greatest!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

01. Thief (1981)
02. The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
03. Heat (1995)
04. Public Enemies (2009)

Mann seen: 4
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
therouxxx

Post by therouxxx »

blackhat
the insider
heat
miami vice
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

Seen them all,

1. Miami Vice
2. Collateral
3. Manhunter
4. Public Enemies

I could vote for a fifth, but this feels right as is. I don't feel strongly enough about the rest. The fifth-place vote would be Ali. Love him most of the time but just can't stand Bl*ckh*t or Th**f really at all.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

One of the great directors, in my humble opinion.

Seen 6, love all of them. Blackhat is high on my watchlist.

Manhunter (1986)
Miami Vice (2006)
Thief (1981)
nrh

Post by nrh »

miami vice
blackhat (theatrical cut)
the insider
the last of the mohicans
manhunter

won't hear of this keep slander either! somehow the only ones i've never warmed to are heat and collateral (there is a lot to like but can't take the action heavy last act at all).
Last edited by nrh on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rischka

Post by rischka »

blackhat
manhunter
thief

need to rewatch some of them lol. i have only 4 shirley clarke
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Agree with greg's assessment. The imagery has becomes its own cliche, and the cops-crooks two sides of the coin theme is a surface with little depth to plumb. That's enough to make him an interesting enough high-end genre director, for sure, (and I enjoy engaging with vulgar auteurist discourse even to disagree, so the fact that vulgar auteurists write about him adds an additional layer of interest for me) but Mann's definitely not a great director in my book.

Seen 5.

1. Collateral (2004)
2. Miami Vice, Pilot Episode: Brother's Keeper (1984) [feel free to discount, it's on Letterboxd as a movie, for some reason, but it is a just a long first episode of a TV show; recommended in any case as a revealing document of the origins of Mann's themes/style]
2. Public Enemies (2009)
Last edited by Evelyn Library P.I. on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
nrh

Post by nrh »

if the non-michael mann directed miami vice episodes counted (and he didn't direct any of them, or any crime stories or robbery homicide divisions) my list would be 3 of those and maybe miami vice and manhunter.

as it is it's hard to see exactly where his auteur control starts and ends - all 3 of his major series definitely feel like auteur works in some weird way. the crime story pilot is probably just as strong as brother's keeper, but ferrara's presence (rightly or wrongly) make it feel harder for me to count it as purely a mann film.
flip

Post by flip »

Evelyn dalla tomba wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:23 pm 2. Miami Vice, Pilot Episode: Brother's Keeper (1984) [feel free to discount, it's on Letterboxd as a movie, for some reason, but it is a just a long first episode of a TV show; recommended in any case as a revealing document of the origins of Mann's themes/style]
in general, i'm happy to count shorts, tv episodes, etc, anything a director directed (at least if there's a letterboxd entry for it), but i wasn't planning to count votes for non-directing work. i don't know much about mann or what he did for the miami vice tv show; imdb lists him as an executive producer of the pilot, but not as the director. if he was only an exec producer, i wouldn't want to count the vote, but if he was an uncredited co-director not listed on imdb, then i'd be happy to count it.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Right-o, thanks, I'll remember that going forward :) ! Yeah, I forgot Mann didn't direct Brother's Keeper but just produced it. I'll change my #2 to Public Enemies.
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

seen 12

1. heat
2. collateral
3. last of the mohicans
4. thief
5. miami vice
wba

Post by wba »

I can't stand those "vulgar auteurist" idiots, and Michael Mann certainly hasn't anything to do with them, as he's a classic, reactionary auteurist like Bergman or Antonioni and all those other guys.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
greennui

Post by greennui »

Blackhat
Manhunter
Miami Vice
Collateral
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

for what it's worth, i, too, think the miami vice TV pilot is quite excellent and never really bothered going further with it. don johnson is awesome in the new watchmen pilot too and i'm looking forward to the upcoming HBO/mann joint
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

seen 9

The Insider
Heat
Collateral
The Last of the Mohicans
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I kept reading "Anthony" Mann :D

Seen 9, and while none of his films really stand out I can still vote for (all 7+):

Heat
The Insider
The Last of the Mohicans
Silga

Post by Silga »

Michael Mann is one of the greats. I admire his unreservedly controlled, very nuanced, calculated style. Mann's great ability is to stage scenes where mise-en-scène itself speaks and informs about the characters. He has made one of the best transitions to digital film-making of his contemporaries. Also his use of blueish colors is a beautiful trademark.

Seen 10:

Heat (in my Top 10 of all time)
The Insider
Thief
Miami Vice
Manhunter
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

Seen 11:
1. Heat (1995)
2. The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
3. The Insider (1999)
4. Manhunter (1986)
5. Thief (1981)
Michael Mann is not well known by wide audience. Loved by people, who like old fashioned film noirs. I like crime drama, film noir and neo noir. I like those old fashioned existentialist stories about gangsters and policemen. Mann is telling those stories with modern design in cinema and TV. And yes-he shows how to bring Melville cinema to digital era.