1965 Poll

St. Gloede

Re: 1965 Poll

Post by St. Gloede »

5 films from my Top 20 that do not seem to get much love elsewhere:

The White Lady

What happens when a friendly ghost starts helping people in materialist Czechoslovakia? This is an utterly stunning fantastical satire with fierce and brave critique of the Communist system/beaurocracy. You will not believe some of the scenes and concepts they get away with here.

Th General and the Others

A high tempo semi-satirical historically conscious WW2 action comedy - Yes! Classic, farsical comedy tropes set against the revolving door of strange allegiences and new occupants as a band of misfits hides in a mansion. What is so intruiging his how it can combine the almost childlike joy of fast-paste silent-esque fun, with the more haunting, tragical and complex elements of war and national shame (Hungary was fascist, which most forget).

Twenty Hours
Intervews and conversations slowly unveil a traumatic event that happened in a small town. (Oh, and it is a Zoltan Fabri film!)

Paris vu par...
Comprised of 6 short segments honoring a specific part of Paris, made by 6 young French directors, 4 of which leaders of the French new wave (Godard, Marker, Rohmer and Chabrol, the remaining two never broke through), this film should have a higher appeal than it does. While omnibus films tends to be disappointing, and there are certainly incredible spikes in quality and style, these segments are creative, challenging, diverse and somehow paints a disjointed whole. I'm also saddened Douchet did not make it, as his opening segment is quite spectacular.

A darkly comedic coming of age road trip tale of the encounters and experiences of a group of friends bicycling the summer away.If you have seen any other Bacso comedies you should know what to expect: But here we are a little more restrained, dissecting the young summer love with just the right amount of pessimism, realism and awkwardness.
rischka

Post by rischka »

subarnarekha is about the fortunes of refugees, and especially children :cry: it will definitely make my list

plus i managed to watch it all in the same day :shhh:
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

I see that Ashes/Popioly by Wajda is "easily available." Almost four hours long, so I'm going to start rassling with it early; anybody that's interested but time-challenged may want to do the same.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

madhabi mukherjee (above) also stars in the coward? i guess i might need to watch that too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

It's Ray's best (scientific fact)
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Lencho of the Apes

The Hyperboloid Of Engineer Garin - Aleksandr Gintsburg, USSR

Pastiche of late-silent sci-fi -- retro-ey like Franju, almost as locked into the visual style as Maddin. Pretty spiff.
3 hyp 1.JPG
3 hyp 1.JPG (28.67 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
3 hyp 3.JPG
3 hyp 3.JPG (42.2 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
3 hyp 2.JPG
3 hyp 2.JPG (51.64 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
karl

Post by karl »

TIME, FORWARD!

The best Soviet race-to-fill-that-quota film ever - by a mile. I generally detest these kinds of movies, but gotta admit this one, which grips you from the get-go and seldom lets up, is a marvel. The title tune became instantly famous and is still much loved in the former Soviet countries (see the opening ceremony of the Sochi games in 2014: https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=zNGs5Ep7Xas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGZAzR4p3T4
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
Lencho of the Apes

bure420 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:46 am (scientific fact)
I dozed off in the middle, and in my hypnogogic version, when Mr. Roy went to the Tea-dude's bungalow, people there started discovering bits of evidence that convinced them that he was the antichrist... and it got to the point where religious texts would burst into flames when he walked past them.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Viento negro (Black Wind)

Belyie gory (White Mountains)
Compartiment tueurs (The Sleeping Car Murder)
Das Kaninchen bin ich (The Rabbit Is Me)
El mundo sigue (Life Goes On)
In Harm's Way
Irezumi ichidai (Tattooed Life)
Le soldatesse (The Camp Followers)
Les grandes gueules (The Wise Guys)
Meiji kyokyakuden - sandaime shumei (Blood of Revenge)
Padurea spânzuratilor (Forest of the Hanged)
Sevmek Zamani (Time to Love)
Terrore nello spazio (Planet of the Vampires)
The Cincinnati Kid
The Collector
The Flight of the Phoenix
The War Lord
To homa vaftike kokkino (Blood on the Land)
Viagem aos Seios de Duília (Journey to Duilia's Breasts)
Yang ya ren jia (Beautiful Duckling)

Deliberately excluded (IMDb/TSPDT/S6S top 500)
Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution
Chimes at Midnight
Doctor Zhivago
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
For a Few Dollars More
Pierrot le fou
Repulsion
Simón del desierto
Subarnarekha
The Sound of Music
Tini zabutykh predkiv

To see before the deadline
...a pátý jezdec je Strach
A Falecida
Att angöra en brygga
Devojka
Hail, Mafia
Hiya-meshi to Osan to Chan

Wanted
A Hora e a Vez de Augusto Matraga
Synanon
Last edited by Angel on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lencho of the Apes

Angel wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:38 am
Wanted
Yeah, if anyone had subtitles for Augusto M. , I'd be all over that.

I'm pretty sure I saw Synanon on rrrrrrrrr lust dot com. Not able to check it ATM.
rischka

Post by rischka »

lencho thanks for repping fort graveyard. i believe it will make my list

one more okamoto and i'll have enough for a poll (:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

rischka wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:56 pm fort g
Glad you liked it! Seems to have been a good year for J war movies, like the wounds had healed or something. I just watched Hoodlum Soldier today, by Masumura, and liked that a lot too. My first Shintaro K movie, afaik. Awwww, he's dorbs. Just wanted to cuddle him and... teach him to read and write.
rischka

Post by rischka »

it's like the dirty dozen with a boy scout troop. i kept laughing, then feeling bad about it :?

now i'm going to watch vinyl!! spurred on by this ICM comment
This is on the "1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list? Having known how terrible it was going to be beforehand, I think I would've chosen the death option...
:lol:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

hmm maybe that person missed edie sedgwick chair dancing to martha and the vandellas

this was my first warhol film i think! it was kind of interesting! well edie was the most interesting. and the soundtrack was good. did these people know how cool they were? probably 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

Bien Lua/Ocean Flame -- Ky Nam Pham, Vietnam

Just the fact that anybody in Vietnam even had resources to make a war film in 1965 was enough to make this a must-see for me, that plus the opportunity to see the inverse side of the USA narrative... First glimpse looked okay, I'll for sure sit down and watch it in the next day or two.
3 bie 1.JPG
3 bie 1.JPG (80.24 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
3 bie 4.JPG
3 bie 4.JPG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
Attachments
3 bie 2.JPG
3 bie 2.JPG (55.29 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
rischka

Post by rischka »

i've watched the bulgarian film torrid noon, really sweet. also dvoe! i may try karl's female counterpart next...

ANTIFA 4-EVA

karl

Post by karl »

Glad you liked those two. I think you'll enjoy "Karla" as well - WBA and I agree on it, and rare that this happens.

1965 continues to reveal gems to me as well. Best so far, in order:

...And the Fifth Horseman Is Fear (Zbynek Brynych)
The Brick and the Mirror (Ebrahim Golestan)
Forest of the Hanged (Liviu Ciulei)
The 317th Platoon (Pierre Schoendoerffer)
Adventures of a Dentist (Elem Klimov)
Cyclists in Love (Peter Bacso)
A Scoundrel (which is for some reason now called Conquest) (Shindo Kaneto)
Just Don't Think I'll Cry (Frank Vogel)
The Old Man and the Land (Robertas Verba)
The Hippocratic Oath (Ada Neretniece)

...but I'm afraid the year is so rich that only the top few can elbow into my top 20. In the queue: Man Is Not a Bird, Pearls of the Deep, The Sin (Barakat), The Adventures of Werner Holt, The Ashes (Wajda), Identification Marks: None, A Time to Love, etc.
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
Flakotaso

Post by Flakotaso »

karl wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Brynych is god, one of the most underestimated czech directors. I wrote a master thesis about him.
wba

Post by wba »

Flakotaso wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Brynych is god, one of the most underestimated czech directors. I wrote a master thesis about him.
Wow, did you write your master thesis by chance in English (or German)? I know some two dozen friends and people here in Germany who absolutely and totally adore Brynych!!

I've only seen one film by him, but of course I need to change that at some point in the future. :oops:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
karl

Post by karl »

"God" seems strong, but the two I've seen ("Horseman" and "Transport from Paradise") were excellent, so I'll try to see what else there is subtitled - at least the Czech films. Looks like when he emigrated (defected?) to West Germany they put him to work making trash. Or am I wrong? Perhaps "17 and Anxious," "Angels with Burnt Wings" and the one that IMDb tells me is about "feminist cannibals" are better than they look. Hard to believe, though, that such stuff is the work of the director of the two I've seen.
brian d

Post by brian d »

i don't remember angels with burnt wings being bad, though it's been a long while and at my age, the memory goes. but yeah, 17 and anxious doesn't look... on par? with what he did before.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
rischka

Post by rischka »

karl wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:08 pm Glad you liked those two. I think you'll enjoy "Karla" as well - WBA and I agree on it, and rare that this happens.

i am enjoying karla. someone was in a very good mood when they allowed films such as this to be produced in GDR. ofc it was banned as soon as they'd sobered up

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

rischka wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:23 am
karl wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:08 pm Glad you liked those two. I think you'll enjoy "Karla" as well - WBA and I agree on it, and rare that this happens.

i am enjoying karla. someone was in a very good mood when they allowed films such as this to be produced in GDR. ofc it was banned as soon as they'd sobered up
Yeah, incredible, really. I wonder how GDR films would have evolved if most of the stuff from 1964 and 1965 would have been widely shown and been inspirational for other films and filmmakers in the country...
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

karl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 am

"God" seems strong, but the two I've seen ("Horseman" and "Transport from Paradise") were excellent, so I'll try to see what else there is subtitled - at least the Czech films. Looks like when he emigrated (defected?) to West Germany they put him to work making trash. Or am I wrong? Perhaps "17 and Anxious," "Angels with Burnt Wings" and the one that IMDb tells me is about "feminist cannibals" are better than they look. Hard to believe, though, that such stuff is the work of the director of the two I've seen.
From what I've read and heard (and the little I've seen) I wouldn't recommend most of his West German stuff to you Karl (or to many admirers of his Czech films) - though he has also directed a feature-length Kafka-adaptation - but here in Germany all of his work in West Germany (even his 100+ episodes for TV series in the 70s, 80s and 90s!) has an intense (sometimes almost fanatical) cult following, and for many here Brynych is in fact "god" because of the work he made in Germany. So far, I haven't seen anything besides half a German TV episode one Czech short from the late 60s and one of his German feature films, all of which I enjoyed but wasn't enthusiastic about. But I can tell you that most people here who love his German films also like his Czech stuff (if they've seen any of it, that is).

Here's a link to a Brynych retrospective from 2017 in one of the best (in my opinion the best, as far as programming/curating goes) German cinematheques: https://www.dhm.de/zeughauskino/program ... ynych.html
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

One of my favourites of 1965 is A Pistol for Ringo (dir. Duccio Tessari). Just watched the follow-up western all'italiana The Return of Ringo, also '65 from Tessari. It's slower-paced, hit and miss; can't recommend it as much as the first. But there's still some good bursts of action and Nieves Navarro rocking a cowgal hat.

Image Image Image
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

I KNEW HER WELL (Antonio Pietrangeli)

alphaville (jean-luc godard)
baby the rain must fall (robert mulligan)
le bonheur (agnes varda)
chimes at midnight (orson welles)
city in the sea (jacques tourneur)
the family jewels (jerry lewis)
juliet of the spirits (federico fellini)
pierrot le fou (jean-luc godard)
repulsion (roman polanski)
shenandoah (andrew v. mclaglen)
the shop on main street (jan kadar / elmar klos)
sins of the fleshapoids (mike kuchar)
yoyo (pierre etaix)
young cassidy (jack cardiff / john ford)
rischka

Post by rischka »

back in the G/DDR

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

I'm so behind for this '65 poll!! I've hardly watched anything and there aren't many days left. :o

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I caught a few I did not write about. I caught Forest of the Hanged - which was great - but in such a strong year it will not be making my list. The same goes for Salto - what a strange and fun oddity.

One major disappointment was Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines ... The animated intro was fun - and it was very self-aware, which could have been a major plus - but the delivery was tragically flat. Even the opening, where they really, really tried - what just ... so poorly done. It just couldn't get anything right. In the words of the leader of the free world: Sad.
pabs

Post by pabs »

St. Gloede wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 amIn the words of the leader of the free world: Sad.
Angela Merkel says that a lot, does she? Ever since Trump got elected, I've read everywhere that she became the "leader of the free world". And I agree, she definitely is.