1965 Poll

rischka

Re: 1965 Poll

Post by rischka »

my second yoshida - a story written with water. less abstract and more dynamic than eros + massacre, still a joy to look at. even if it took me several days to watch

i am a bit irritated that two complex women spend all their time dealing with a man's neurosis. but hey. this was a problem i had with eros + massacre also. dunno if this will be a trend but i'll try again if only for his gorgeous use of space
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
DT.

Post by DT. »

^ Been meaning to check it out for a while!

Sandra (Visconti) - Cardinale is impossibly good looking, but otherwise this feels quite cheaply made. A psychological thriller that's more like a bizarre soap opera, with schizophrenic editing and an overblown classical soundtrack. Definitely the weakest Visconti I've seen.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

I think you'll be a lot more pleased with I Knew Her Well. Sandrelli is amazing, and there's nothing cheap about the movie.
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

The guy in The Brick in the Mirror who really likes crosswords is my new favorite film character
greennui

Post by greennui »

The Debussy Film def gets a high spot on my list.

rischka

Post by rischka »

interesting that gonzalez used shots from yanco and viento negro in the fool killer

i enjoyed this -- like a lesser night of the hunter. also that tent meeting gave me flashbacks

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

rischka wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 amin the fool killer
There's a small mountain in New Hampshire called "The Fool Killer". Nice peak to climb if you want to test your character, but there's no trail and no view from the top.
rischka

Post by rischka »

Ha. Lench I borrowed yr 'old weird America' appellation for twitter

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

rischka wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am 'old weird America'
Sfine -- I took it from Bob Dylan, some quote from an interview where he was talking about pre-industrial folk culture, Appalachian murder ballads and stuff.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
Lencho of the Apes

Lencho_of_the_Apes wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:37 pm
rischka wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am 'old weird America'
Sfine -- I took it from Bob Dylan, some quote from an interview where he was talking about pre-industrial folk culture, Appalachian murder ballads and stuff.

I remember a short story by Stephen Vincent Benet called The Fool Killer, something I read in 6th or 7th grade. Don't remember how closely it corresponded to this movie.
nrh

Post by nrh »

as far as i know it's from greil marcus, who used it as the title of a book about dylan

edit - and it started to get used really widely in pitchfork type music circles mid-2000s, when the folky-ish music underground bled into the mainstream for a few years
Lencho of the Apes

I wasn't sure of the attribution, thanks for that.
nrh

Post by nrh »

Lencho_of_the_Apes wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:52 pm I wasn't sure of the attribution, thanks for that.
i mean, there's like a 90% chance i'm missing some major link in the chain here...
Lencho of the Apes

I poked around a tiny bit -- pretty sure it orig. came from Marcus' writing on Harry Smith's anthology, and then he reused the phrase for his Dylan title. Some how I had the phrase conflated in my mind with Dylan's comments about 'high wild quicksilver' Blonde On Blonde.
Lencho of the Apes

skimming through Juliet Of The Spirits, I realized that I haven't seen it after all... or at least don't remember anything at all about it... so I'm going to watch that, but I can't look at Giuletta Masina these days without thinking how much she looks like (usually very annoying) comedian Javier "Chabelo" Lopez. Impossible to unsee...
chab 3.JPG
chab 3.JPG (17.51 KiB) Viewed 4338 times
Attachments
chab 2.jpg
chab 2.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 4338 times
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

The Railrodder (Gerald Potterton and Buster Keaton; National Film Board of Canada)

My first viewing from my short 1965 poll watchlist, and I maybe loved it. I love trains, and watching a venerable Buster Keaton ride cross-country on my national railway is thus a considerable pleasure. But, whatever your persuasion, the filmmaking is surprisingly accomplished: there are some most scenic phantom ride views, and the comic gags wouldn't be out of place in a 1920s Keaton film. At times, it's even Tati-esque. Highly recommended as a twenty-five minute quaint smile-inducer.

karl

Post by karl »

Sounds better than Beckett's "Film," which isn't hard to be.
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
Silga

Post by Silga »

I finally watched The Spy Who Came In from the Cold. Another great story by John le Carré. And just like the author, I was skeptical about the casting of Richard Burton. Proven wrong I was. He blended in perfectly and carried the film flawlessly. Only the second Martin Ritt film for me, but I'll sure seek out more from him in the future.
rischka

Post by rischka »

forest of the hanged is simply one of the best films i've seen on WW1. it's a local universal thing. up there with paths of glory and dare i say, grand illusion

this guy looks something like jean louis trintignant? also i just realized the director himself has a major role :shock: this would be romanian director liviu ciulei:

who doesn't seem to have done much else. i've had this for years, once again thanks lencho for the :helpsign: fair warning, it's almost 3 hrs long and has taken me 3 days to get through :P i just can't stay awake in the evening

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

I'm glad you admitted to breaking a viewing, 'cause sometimes I'm obliged to do it too with certain films, due to my sleeping (or other) schedules. Not very often, but sometimes. I always felt a bit bad about doing that, but now I don't. :D
rischka

Post by rischka »

i do this all the time, otherwise i'd watch one film a week

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

I actually feel exonerated now, and I'll never again feel guilty when I do it.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Update:

1. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (Russ Meyer)

The Debussy Film (Ken Russell)
The Party’s Over (Guy Hamilton)
Always on Sunday (Ken Russell)
Seisaku's Wife (Yasuzô Masumura)
The Seaside Village (Kim Soo-yong)
Kustom Kar Kommandos (Kenneth Anger)
The Ipcress File (Sidney J. Furie)
Bunny Lake Is Missing (Otto Preminger)
The War Game (Peter Watkins)
The Hand (Jirí Trnka)
Quixote (Bruce Baillie)
Lencho of the Apes

Greg X and I are the only ones in my LB network who have seen Fort Graveyard by Mr. Okamoto? It's better than that. Thematically rich in a way that triggered some discussion.
rischka

Post by rischka »

thanks for the heads up. always down for okamoto

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Angel

Post by Angel »

FG is a remake of his own Desperate Outpost (1959), which I prefer (in fact it is my favorite Okamoto).
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Now, I have to see it! Should actually have it already, just need to double-check.

Prepared a few viewings for this poll yesterday. (Essentially what I had laying around, but somehow Forest of the Hanged was not on the list - it will be my next priority)

I may share the list later

The first one out was:

The Shameless Old Lady

I was, honestly, hoping for her to be a little more "shameless".

Instead what I got was a surprisingly pleasant story, though brooding adaptation of a short Brecht story.

What was I expecting? Probably something a little darker. My only other Allio (also the only other film of his with subtitles) was I, Pierre Reviere. A rather brutal minimalist film that would have made a nice addition to Bresson's filmography.

The Shameless Old Lady is still lowdown and simple, but extremely human. It does not do big gestures, or comedic pieces, but is rather a portrait of an old widow finally doing some very small things to improve her live.

Opening with her husband's death (no spoilers), we follow the family rituals, the impassioned obligations, etc. etc.

Her children agree to take care of her and chip in, but instead of living her old sparse life she makes new friends, starts eating out, going to shops, even ordering ice cream ... These small things are actually of quite some importance to her - and her family is not too happy with her spending.

A simple subject, composed of simple shots, simple characters, and so on. A great film.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Angel wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 pm FG is a remake of his own Desperate Outpost (1959), which I prefer (in fact it is my favorite Okamoto).
It is not a remake. It is an entirely separate story, but in a similar style/setting. Where Desperate Outpost is a gung-ho action comedy with the "likely leads", Fort Graveyard is about a commander trying to make the best out of the army band. Okamoto made several darlky comedic WW2 action comedies in this period.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

This was also the year Okamoto did Samurai, which rivals most of Kurosawa's samurai work (though not quite at the level of The Sword of Doom).
rischka

Post by rischka »

k i'ma watch this here samurai pitcher

i see mifune is his usual charming self

ANTIFA 4-EVA