Some things are Tennis

Silga

Re: Some things are Tennis

Post by Silga »

bure wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 am That's cool. Zubrus spent a few years on my favourite team (New Jersey), and even went to the Stanley Cup Final with them
Ha! The cap and poster I have are from New Jersey Devils. :)
bure wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 amDo NBA rules differ significantly from FIBA?
Rules do differ significantly. First and most important - in FIBA basketball there's no Defensive three-second violation. It allows defense (mostly centers) to occupy the paint for as long as they want and greatly reduces easy drives to the basket for a dunk or lay-up. It makes position of a center forward a lot more important.
Second difference is the length of the game. NBA plays 4x12 mins quarters. FIBA rules are 4x10 mins. Also FIBA basketball court is slightly smaller and 3-point line is a bit closer.

Players in NBA can call a timeout any time when in possession and so can coaches. In FIBA rules timeouts can only be called by coaches and only when the play has stopped.
As for timeouts, in NBA they are too long. The game drags because of it. In FIBA, timeout is strictly one minute. The FIBA game rarely exceeds 2 hours. In NBA a game goes for more than 2 hours and a half. So the pacing and importance of every play is higher in FIBA.
The travelling rules are also stricter in FIBA games. Player must dribble the ball before taking the first step. The current NBA tolerates a lot of travelling, especially if it results in splashy highlights. I think that a famous internet joke "NBA - Where Travelling happens" is true.
In FIBA, a player is permitted five personal fouls instead of six.

Also in FIBA basketball team work and defense is a lot more nuanced and significant. A lot of US players who come to play in Europe mention how surprised they are of the physicality of the game here. The current NBA trend of small ball and a lot of 3-pointers has taken away the beauty of the game. The last finals series and the quality of basketball I completely enjoyed was back in 2004 and 2005 when Pistons and Spurs won. I think Spurs is the best organization in modern NBA. But not many teams can replicate their style and success.

I think NBA creates a great basketball show that provides good entertainment and is financially viable. In Europe, I think, there isn't a single basketball team that recoups its expenses through income. European teams are either supported by big football clubs of the same name or sponsored by rich owners and through government and local provisions. So I think a basketball in Europe as it is today is a great luxury for fans because everyone is concentrated on the game instead of making money out of it.

Therefore I mostly just follow Euroleague and Spanish league games of Real Madrid. I'm glad that Luka Doncic is having a great career in NBA. As a young kid he was already a force to recon in Europe and a great leader in Madrid.

I used to watch a lot of CAVS games back when LeBron just started his career because another Lithuanian Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Big Z) played for most of his career in Clevaland and later had his jersey retired by the club. I'd like to see LeBron get another ring this season.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

NBA is just unwatchable... every time it should be an exciting game, 0:35 left in the 4th quarter, 93-92 game: deliberate foul, timeout, deliberate foul, timeout, timeout, deliberate foul; I walk back by the TV five minutes later and there are still 12 seconds left. Ban deliberate fouls (make them 2 or 3 free throws and the offensive team gets back possession again), 1 or 2 timeouts per game, and it's a sport instead of a grotesque dream you have in which your subconscious thinks up the most stupid, pointless, Sisyphean parody of (the last 3 minutes of) a game. Not to mention the floor slaps.....

European basketball is fun though! I did see Luka live in person playing for Real Madrid when he was back there. He was..... good.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

:dance:
rischka

Post by rischka »

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

uh oh
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

oh well. indoor courts just aren't rafa's thing, and zverev was just too good today. where was this version of him in the us open final?

and tbh even if rafa had pulled through, i don't think he'd be able to beat medvedev, who looks to be on fire rn. should be a good final
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

What a bizarre end to that match, Zverev went from cruising to choking to cruising again. The allegations that have emerged about him are disturbing and disappointing because I do like his brand of tennis quite a lot. Should be a good final between two bad people.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

whoa. those zverev allegations had not been on my radar. i expect that from (american) football players, not tennis players. looks like i won't bother watching the final after all
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Kyrgios is just pure box office, isn't he?
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Fantastic comeback from Tsitsipas, hyped for the semi:

https://youtu.be/mDX6K7t-JcE
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Do you stream from some internettery or subscribe to the ATP service or whatever
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

For majors, Eurosport have a £1/mo trial on Prime at the moment, dunno if it's the same in Canada. For ATP stuff I dip in and out throughout the season using TennisTV which is a tenner a month so ends up costing me something like 50 quid a year which is a lot but less than one ticket to an actual match. I don't watch much WTA, gotta take a break sometimes...
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Yeah I was thinking about getting tennistv. Free streams aren't always reliable for tennis
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Ahahahhaha. FUCK DJOKOVIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rischka

Post by rischka »

Joker choker

https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/143 ... 95330?s=20

why does the crowd hate medvedev

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

Great match joker vs rafa at the French open

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

joker AGAIN banned from australia. plz imagine if serena pulled this shit

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

screw that wack guy
rischka

Post by rischka »

ONE RAFA TO RULE THEM ALL

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i bet he never hit a MOONBALL WINNER!

https://twitter.com/tennis_gifs/status/ ... ucFfMnXGgQ
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

can one of the new generation close against the old guard, just once, just to mix things up
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I mean, it happened at the US open and the ATP finals (and none of the big 3 have won the ATP finals since 2015), but I have to say, this was an unbelievable match, bordering on surreal. Medvedev is on track to becoming the world number 1 though, which is quite huge as excluding Murray the last player not to be part of the big 3 to hold that title was Roddick in '04....

I do think it is going to get more dangerous and volatile. Medvedev is clearly at the big 3's level, at least on hard courts, and I think he has a great shot of winning the US open again this year. The other contenders have obviously not proven themselves properly in best out of 5s, but it will be interesting to see what Tsitsipas can do at Roland-Garros after his impressive run here. And then of course there is Zverev who has won the ATP finals twice now and crushed Djokovic and Medvedev back to back.

As for the others, hard to say. Stunning turns from Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime this tournament, two young players who are finally starting to deliver on their promise. I have also noticed that Fritz has been consistently improving. The match against Djokovic at the Paris Masters was incredible and now he had a very deep run here. And then we have Sinner and Alcaraz who are not quite ready but moving up so fast something can happen very, very soon.
rischka

Post by rischka »

can one of the new generation close against the old guard, just once, just to mix things up
NO

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/15334729 ... 3MIUylAsiw

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

got your new blood. i'm not even sad rafa lost this time! he and serena have had a great run 8-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... emifinals/

frances tiafoe could become the first american man to win the US open in nearly 20 years. his parents immigrated from war torn sierra leone. sometimes i really love my country :cry:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

very intense match. alcaraz is a worthy heir to nadal. we'll be watching him for years to come

frances played his heart out ♥ it's awesome i had no idea who some of these people in the finals of the US open even are 8-)

i'm set for the weekend :cowboy: even paid for streaming lol

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

Missing a great match yall

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

Yeah, but it's a bit pointless when the best player in the world isn't allowed to participate in the tournament.
Nice for the young guys of course, but bad for tennis.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
rischka

Post by rischka »

i hate joker and look forward to carlos kicking his ass

https://twitter.com/CourtsMag/status/15 ... Bw8ZjyFk8Q

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

i feel the same about federer who according to commentators yesterday, is planning to return to tennis? isn't he over 40 now

ANTIFA 4-EVA