Cannes 2019 Betting Thread

nrh

Re: Cannes 2019 Betting Thread

Post by nrh »

bacurau and atlantique sound pretty interesting, big fan of mati diop's shorts and medium length work - https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/cannes- ... s-to-shove
Joks Trois

Post by Joks Trois »

wba wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:09 pm Yeah, well, but based on previous track records...

Of course I'd have to see the films to find out which ones I'd want to win, and in which category, so of course the ones I listed are not the ones I'd like to win, cause I haven't seen them.

Still, looking at the (seemingly extremely lame) lineup, I'd probably enjoy it if the Kechiche wins the palm, and the Hausner gets something big as well.

EDIT: Hell, this looks even more boring than a regular Berlinale lineup under Kosslick. :lol:
It's bad.

The new Serra looks good though, but it's not in competition. It's basically upper class French people in the late 18th century philosophing and sexing each other up outdoors to a soundtrack of crickets :lol: I mean, c'mon, just look at this poster!!

WARNING: NSFW

MayaDeren_fan

Post by MayaDeren_fan »

Here's the results of the Award Ceremony at Cannes:

Palme d'Or: Parasite - Bong
Grand Prix: Atlantique - Diop
Jury Prize: Les Miserables & Bacurau - Ly/Filho
Best Director: Dardennes Brothers - Young Ahmed

Screenplay: Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Sicamma
Actor: Antonio Banderas in Pain & Glory
Actress: Emily Beecham in Little Joe
flip

Post by flip »

interestingly, parasite was also the highest-ranked film on the screen international jury grid, whereas the guardian-reviewed 5-star films didn't win much, so i think i'll just post jury grid scores in future.

time to see who won our contest!
flip

Post by flip »

final results:

john ryan: 6 pts
flip: 6 pts
umbugbene: 3 pts
silga: 3 pts
ofrene: 2 pts
mayaderenfan: 2 pts
wulff: 2 pts
bure: 1 pt
wba: 1 pt
dt: 0 pts
flip

Post by flip »

john ryan and i tie for first - for each of us, our palme and grand jury prize picks both went on to win awards, but john ryan's palme pick won the gjp, and his gjp pick won the palme, which is pretty incredible predicting, so john ryan is our winner!

if i hadn't made a last-minute edit to my ballot i would have picked three of the winners, so i'll take consolation in that. :)

john if you want to claim any of the prizes below, just post here what you'd like your prize to be!
Prize:
- the winner will get the chance, if they want to, to nominate one additional director in our Director Poll series, outside of the normal cycle of nominations.
- or: if the winner does not want to nominate, they can choose any other scfz'er to get an extra nomination in their place
- or: if the winner does not like all the director polls, they can choose to have a one-week moratorium on director polling
- or: the winner can instead choose a genre for a brand new 'genre poll' - with the restrictions that it must be a genre we haven't polled before, and it must be an established genre of some kind (so 'musicals' or 'animation' would be fine, 'films featuring skydiving' would not)
flip

Post by flip »

nrh wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm bacurau and atlantique sound pretty interesting, big fan of mati diop's shorts and medium length work - https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/cannes- ... s-to-shove
and maybe nrh deserves a prize for highlighting two of the eventual winners - and agreed, those seem to be two of the most promising titles from this year's lineup.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

The least surprising aspect of Cannes is the almost unanimously negative reaction to kechiche’s Mektoub, my love: intermezzo (at least with American critics.. the French response is apparently more balanced). i’ve Loved everything I’ve seen from the guy, and mektoub part I is perhaps my favorite of his, so I’ll most definitely be watching this one as well.
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

I'll nominate a director. Should I do so in this space or in the Paul Schrader poll?
:lboxd:
flip

Post by flip »

here is cool
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

I'd love to poll Kim Ki-duk, but I'm worried not enough users will have seen eight of his films. I don't want to turn my fluke success of guessing the right names from a list into a solo passion project, so I'll do George Cukor if we don't have enough for Kim.
:lboxd:
DT.

Post by DT. »

I’ve seen eight from Kim.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

I have 9 Kims and 14 Cukors.
flip

Post by flip »

cukor will definitely work, i have 12, but i suspect kim ki-duk will also work - i'm sure john has 8+, so we'd just need one more person with 8+ and we'll run a kim ki-duk poll. i'll probably do that one or two polls from now, so we have a few days to find another kim viewer.
wba

Post by wba »

kanafani wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 pm The least surprising aspect of Cannes is the almost unanimously negative reaction to kechiche’s Mektoub, my love: intermezzo (at least with American critics.. the French response is apparently more balanced). i’ve Loved everything I’ve seen from the guy, and mektoub part I is perhaps my favorite of his, so I’ll most definitely be watching this one as well.
Just watched the fantastic first Mektoub on DVD last week, and now I'm also looking forward to the second part. Here in Germany it was also universally panned, even by people who loved the first one, which makes me even more curious.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov