what are you eating?

thoxans

what are you eating?

Post by thoxans »

i'm not eating anything right now. it's morning where i am, and i'm not really a breakfast person. i am drinking some hazelnut coffee tho, which smells better than it tastes

but i did cook some shrimp and chorizo tacos the other night, which turned out pretty damn good. i didn't make the tortillas myself or anything, but they were still pretty good

then after that i cooked some homemade tomato soup, which i garnished with some roasted multicolored cherry tomatoes, grilled green peppers and onions, and crispy ham bits

then last night i made some salmon en papillote, which was surprisingly super easy, and made for quite a dramatic presentation, and served it simply alongside steamed veggies
rischka

Re: what are you eating?

Post by rischka »

i'm going to make chicken salad later
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i’m having my weekly blowout meal at my regular sushi spot. i always get the takosu and the oshinko moriawase cuz i’m straight up addicted to those two dishes, and i always get sushi (duh it wouldn’t be my regular sushi spot otherwise), but i change it up from week to week. this week i’m chowing down on eel rolls and rolls of white fish with konbu, along with yellowtail, salmon, mackerel, omelette, and giant clam nigiri. also got some extra sides, including ikura oroshi and maguro nuta. and one sour plum onigiri just cuz. and what would be a weekly sushi blowout without the two large sapporos and two large hot sakes? ya gotta reward yourself sometimes after another week of life lived, and this is my treat to myself ::cheers::
sally

Post by sally »

does anyone make mug cakes? (i like em eggy and i use oats&banana instead of flour so they turn out more like ambitious pancakes)

does anyone know how to stop raisins sinking to the bottom of the mug? they stay very hot and then ouch.
patrick

Post by patrick »

I used to make this one with coconut flour; https://cookingwithplants.com/recipe/ve ... -in-a-mug/
rischka

Post by rischka »

making some cuban black beans and rice

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:31 pmdoes anyone know how to stop raisins sinking to the bottom of the mug?
try poking a little hole in each of them with a toothpick, which might seem tedious af, but eh
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

rischka wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 pmmaking some cuban black beans and rice
luv me sum black beans n rice! do you let your beans sit overnight...?
brian d

Post by brian d »

i just made red beans and rice the other day. you can speed it up by boiling the beans for like an hour and a half on high heat (watch the water, add more when needed), and the cook them on low with the spices and veggies for two and a half hours or so. or you can let them soak overnight and then get to the regular cooking.

i made a homemade deep dish pizza tonight.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

one of my fav local chefs closed his restaurant earlier this year, and he's been doing these little intermittent prix fixe pop up dinners since then, so last night i went to one, and we were served a white pumpkin bisque with fuji apple (paired with a gewurztraminer), smoked tomato pie with pimento crème (paired with a sauvignon blanc), gulf shrimp and sausage creole on sticky rice (paired with a petite syrah, interestingly enough), and for dessert syd's holiday pie with nuts, tart cherries, and balsamic (paired with a sauternes)
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

brian d wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:22 ami made a homemade deep dish pizza tonight
i have a natural aversion to deep dish, but i'd chowdown on a homemade one
augusto

Post by augusto »

i made gajar ka halwa for a friend's birthday and they loved it. thought it wasn't too bad myself, which was a pleasant surprise as i've only tried making it once before.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

augusto wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pmgajar ka halwa
hmmm. i should be able to make my own clarified butter, but i'm wondering about the khoa. maybe i can get the excess liquid out of some ricotta, and take a shot at it...?
augusto

Post by augusto »

thoxans wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:03 am
augusto wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pmgajar ka halwa
hmmm. i should be able to make my own clarified butter, but i'm wondering about the khoa. maybe i can get the excess liquid out of some ricotta, and take a shot at it...?
y'know, i don't actually use ghee/clarified butter. not sure how a/typical that choice is, but follow and prefer the way my grandmother used to make it, which is slow simmering grated carrots in whole milk, then adding cardamom, etc. as you go along. but yeah, if you use it and don't want to make your own, you can easily find ghee if there's an indian store near you.

i used sweetened condensed milk in place of khoa/mawa this time (and then didn't put any sugar), but i'm sure you can make mawa from ricotta. let me know how it goes if you give it a shot! (personally don't have much of a sweet tooth, so not sure when's the next time i'll try it.)
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

augusto wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:26 amlet me know how it goes if you give it a shot!
deal!
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

atm eating cold leftover pad thai and drinking cheap shampagne
rischka

Post by rischka »

i got some delicious homemade green tamales from someone at work. i still know a few people practicing this holiday tradition :dance:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

augusto

Post by augusto »

made bhuna w/chicken thighs, and ate it with some dinner rolls (which are a just about acceptable substitute for the ladi pav i'd typically have it with in bombay).
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i'm tryna get more into cooking japanese food (perfecting that simple, clean, clear style), and i was wondering if anyone had recs for a good traditional japanese cookbook...? japanese cooking by shizuo tsuji seems to be a pretty standard staple, but everything else i'm finding is nouveau fusion wannabe-japanese bullshit, and that's not at all what i'm looking for
rischka

Post by rischka »

i made this chicken stir fry that took me 3 days to eat :lol: mushrooms and zucchini instead of my usual broccoli and carrots. i'm still adjusting my sauce

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

looks delish! i'm surprised more champs aren't into the culinary arts. watching murnau's sunrise and eating mickey d's just seems wrong to me...
nrh

Post by nrh »

have been trying to get back into cooking after a year or so of falling out of the habit (mostly due to work schedule and related exhaustion), so made something very simple - mushroom and tofu over udon noodles with a vegetable stock from scratch. under-seasoned at first and think the tofu wasn't totally necessary, worked somewhat better when reheated the next day.

really wish i could understand folks who can do the whole "i cooked 5 days worth of meals on sunday they just need to be reassembled throughout the week."
charulata

Post by charulata »

made a very simple rajma (red kidney beans) and brown rice. made it at work to send for my chef who just got out of the hospital and brought some home. really aiming to cook more at home this coming year. constrained by partially functional refrigerator and absolutely dysfunctional exhaust/vent and loss of my favorite knife. we shall overcome hopefully.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

quick seared a pot roast this morning, then put it in a slow cooker with a diced russet potato, yellow carrots, and pearl onions, with some beef broth and a little red wine, and left it to cook all day while i'm at work, i.e., i'm gonna have a berry good smelling house when i get home (as opposed to the usual odor of dog and cat barely masked by assorted scented candles)

sidenote: i'm giddy that charulata's first post on the new forum is in my most dopest of threads
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

thoxans wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:12 pmand that's not at all what i'm looking for
seriously. i was at the library the other day, and i checked out the only japanese cookbook at that particular branch, and like a third of the recipes call for catsup or worcestershire or other decidedly un-japanese ingredients...
nrh

Post by nrh »

thoxans wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 pm
thoxans wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:12 pmand that's not at all what i'm looking for
seriously. i was at the library the other day, and i checked out the only japanese cookbook at that particular branch, and like a third of the recipes call for catsup or worcestershire or other decidedly un-japanese ingredients...
https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/ ... -spaghetti
rischka

Post by rischka »

yummy avocado toast!~ w/some smashed garlic and salt

that japanese spaghetti looks good but why are they putting green beans in there :|

ANTIFA 4-EVA

liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

^ a staple, for me.

At the restaurant where I work it is topped with garlic butter on sourdough, halved cherry tomatoes, fleur de sel, aged balsamic, micro cilantro, pickled red onions, a drizzle of olive oil, and a lightly fried egg.

Been really into lettuce wraps at home, using iceberg or butter lettuce. Good with almost any filling - especially tuna, swiss, avocado, tomato, and pickle.
:lboxd:
rischka

Post by rischka »

I wanna try lettuce wraps now

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

another delicious stir fry with many chunky vegetables!

ANTIFA 4-EVA