What video games are you playing?

DT.

What video games are you playing?

Post by DT. »

Since this place isn't nerdy enough already... :geek:

What video games have you been playing lately? What new releases are you looking forward to? And for the subset of people who experience games through Twitch or YouTube, what games have you been streaming?
Last edited by DT. on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DT.

Re: What video games are you playing?

Post by DT. »

Last game I played was Kirby Super Star on the SNES Classic. Like most Kirby titles, nothing too challenging, but it's a unique collection of shorter games with a hodgepodge of concepts. Take the game where the final level randomly turned out to be a clone of Gradius - or another which not only had a countdown timer that continued between levels, but the dialogue was told entirely from the enemies' point of view, even when they were off-screen.

It was also fun to see how much it influenced the rest of the series, as well as Super Smash Bros. Master hand, anyone?

Loved the quirky humour that shone through at times, like when a miniboss turned out to be a parody RPG within the game:

Pretentious Hipster

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Playing a game that I'm really surprised I ended up liking: Far Cry Primal

I hated Far Cry 3, but I find that the prehistoric setting works perfectly with the Far Cry template.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

rdr2. it's about as great as most people say. ofc i'm a sucker for open-world games. it's very immersive. some days i progress the story. other days i do nothing but hunt and collect pelts and craft items. other days i fish and forage and stumble into side quests. i didn't play the first game, but this one stands up perfectly well on its own. the weather system is awesome. finding yourself in a heavy downpour is a great pleasure. got killed once cuz i was standing behind a horse and it kicked me in the head. survived a few bear attacks. didn't survive a few cougar attacks. running at full speed and barrelling through a door into a building and scaring everyone inside is da best. goddamn o'driscolls...
Pretentious Hipster

I made my first video review of a game. I do think my dialogue is quite flawed, but it'll just come down to lots of practice. I also couldn't figure out a good way to put the score in, so I just placed it in the middle (which I had to do manually) with the default font. Hopefully I'll figure out a fancier way in the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmPXQGKQ4cQ
patrick

Post by patrick »

Great !
DT.

Post by DT. »

Great review. Your voice is a bit soft but the review itself is fine, presenting the game in an interesting light. Have you played The Evil Within? It doesn't have the humour of Harvester but is still balls-to-the-wall crazy. You might also enjoy Fran Bow.
Last edited by DT. on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
DT.

Post by DT. »

Played and streamed a few games since posting last. Highlights are as follows:

- Star Fox (technically mindblowing and surprisingly endearing)
- Final Fantasy VII (deserves its reputation as a definitive RPG)
- Resident Evil 2 remake (now that's how you make a goddamn horror game)
- Super Mario Sunshine (charming, but every bit of a grind-fest as Mario 64)
- Killer7 (weird to the point of fascinating, but never coalesces into a compelling whole)
- Fire Emblem Awakening (another seminal RPG, save for an absurd difficulty spike that I had neither the time nor patience to get over by grinding).

Currently enjoying Her Story, a lot more than expected. It's surprising how engaging it can be to scroll through video recordings to piece together a story (though it helps that the story is pretty messed up).
Pretentious Hipster

DT. wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 am Great review. Your voice is a bit soft but the review itself is fine, presenting the game in an interesting light. Have you played The Evil Within? It doesn't have the humour of Harvester but is still balls-to-the-wall crazy. You might also enjoy Fran Bow.
I have The Evil Within but haven't played it yet.

Yea my speaking sucks, but that's just something that'll improve with weeks and weeks of practice.

Here's my 3rd review. Bought a few effects for like $20, and I think it's starting to improve. My voice is more comfortable too, but still far from perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moLKTjXADYU
DT.

Post by DT. »

Nice! Definitely improving. Subscribed. 8-)
patrick

Post by patrick »

You sound so Canadian :lol:

I impulse purchased an Xbox One X last week and have been playing Hellblade, really cool game but some of the mechanics are inexhaustibly tedious.

Also enjoying Red Dead, don't know what the hell I'm doing but I get to lasso people and RP as Randolph Scott :cowboy:
Pretentious Hipster

patrick wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:57 pm You sound so Canadian :lol:
I didn't realize how Canadian my accent was until I heard myself lol.

Got 15 subscribers since starting out. Not bad. Did my review of Halo a few days ago which I thought was mediocre. Doing fellowship of the ring today which I thought was terrible.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Sounds like you're on a roll ! Doing better than me, haha
rischka

Post by rischka »

omg i've actually played fellowship of the ring
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Pretentious Hipster

rischka wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 pm omg i've actually played fellowship of the ring
What a terrible game. Might as well do the trilogy now cause apparently the next 2 games are a lot better and theyre shorter than the films.
Pretentious Hipster

My most ambitious work yet

https://youtu.be/_uhMvdcS2c8
rischka

Post by rischka »

yay i've played mario also! in fact so much i almost got good at it. thx for the memories :)
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Pretentious Hipster

I think this was my best work. Unfortunately it's doing garbage in terms of views. Maybe because it's by far my most political one?

https://youtu.be/BhF6pfo7gjY
DT.

Post by DT. »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30VmtpN_eE

^ This might be your best video yet. Helps that the game sounds super interesting!

In other news, has anyone else checked out Death Stranding?
Pretentious Hipster

Aww thanks for posting it.

I did play a bit of death stranding. Will probably review it eventually. Abysmal story but the gameplay is oddly compelling and surprisingly intense.
Pretentious Hipster

This is strange. Didn't gain any subscribers in around a month, and I lose two within a week. It was a music channel for 6 years before I posted reviews and I had around 250 subscribers. I hope the losses were from those and not that my reviews are garbage.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

I have not played a video game in a very long time, but my son is currently obsessed with Toca life: world and zoo tycoon 2. If you make a video for either of those, we'll both watch it!
Pretentious Hipster

A very special review

https://youtu.be/Fx-SMFIqKBo
DT.

Post by DT. »

Great work! The MediEvil remake also has a completion bonus where you can unlock the original PS1 game in its entirety.

It's a shame the original games are so hard to access otherwise, including Panzer Dragoon Saga. Looking forward to the Switch remake to help remedy that.
DT.

Post by DT. »

Just played through GTA IV for the first time. A surprisingly deep story, especially coming from the GTA series. The final shot of the Statue of Liberty, as the whole American Dream is being shattered, is probably as close as a video game can get to something like The Wire.

Too bad the actual gameplay is incredibly frustrating and flat-out garbage at times - a clunky cover system, heavy driving controls, no mission checkpoints... :cussing:
Pretentious Hipster

Outer Wilds might be the greatest game ever made.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

consider my interest piqued :think:
Pretentious Hipster

Will try to get my review up in like a week. Maybe a bit less. It gave me existential dread, and at one point the same feeling I had when I did my first suicide attempt of accepting my mortality and laughing at it. Later on, there are moments that are absolutely heart-racing, terrifying, melancholic as fuck, and gorgeous to look at. I never had such an emotional reaction to a game in my life. Even ignoring that the in-game world is so immersive that I always found myself lost in it, even when repeating areas. Yea, the controls are garbage, but you do get used to them after a while. Just keep going past that hurdle, and you will experience something really special.

My review will have to be short and vague though because I don't wanna put too many visual spoilers. Part of it is experiencing the stuff for the first time.

My favourite video game critic Brad Shoemaker called it one of the greatest games he's ever played. I thought it was an exaggeration, but nope.
Pretentious Hipster

Kept it short and vague to avoid too many spoilers. Adding some spoilerish stuff to draw you in though. Seriously might be the greatest game of all time.

https://youtu.be/IvoqlI-l8Tw
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

tbh i don't like first person games or point and click games, but i'm still very interested. even went by the local gamestop the other day to see if they had it, but the know-it-all employees there hadn't even heard of the game (they kept trying to sell me outer worlds), so of course it wasn't in stock. hence, the dissolution of brick and mortar stores...