What video games are you playing?

Pretentious Hipster

Re: What video games are you playing?

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

thoxans wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:07 pm tbh i don't like first person games or point and click games, but i'm still very interested. even went by the local gamestop the other day to see if they had it, but the know-it-all employees there hadn't even heard of the game (they kept trying to sell me outer worlds), so of course it wasn't in stock. hence, the dissolution of brick and mortar stores...
It is an indie game so it might be digital only. Yea, tbh I did have to use a guide a few times as it can be really obtuse, like point and click games tend to be. Believe me, I didn't even show the breathtaking parts that happens in that game.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Animal Crossing: New Horizons <3

So addictive and wholesome.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Learned how to use old N64 and PS3 controllers on the comp... been emulating some good Mario 64, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, etc. for the past few months

nrh

Post by nrh »

after a long time without touching any games i've been enjoying my time with disco elysium...for all the planescape: torment comparisons it actually reminds me the most of the very dense middle section of grim fandango, this intense interlocking urban landscape full of puzzles that are mostly connecting dots between people and places and relationships. and the way it handles rpg type skills is very sophisticated. not sure where it's all going to end up but interested so far. certainly the most intriguing thing i've played past kentucky route zero or so.
Pretentious Hipster

No posts after almost a year? Thought it would be more active because of covid.

To bump this I will present this

https://exodos.the-eye.us/
DT.

Post by DT. »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:31 pm To bump this I will present this

Well, that's your channel sorted for the foreseeable future. :icon_mrgreen:
DT.

Post by DT. »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:31 pm No posts after almost a year? Thought it would be more active because of covid.
Like many, I played more last year than I ever have - list below. Its make-up is down to the fact that I bought an old PS3 at the end of 2019, and a PS5 at the end of 2020. Planning to have a bit more diversity of consoles and generations this year.

Grand Theft Auto IV
BioShock Infinite ♥♥
Batman: Arkham Asylum ♥
Catherine
Mass Effect
Devil May Cry
Fallout 3 ♥♥
Ico ♥
Portal
Journey ♥♥♥
Chrono Trigger
God of War (2005)
Flow
Flower ♥
Vanquish
Fuse
Dragon Age: Origins ♥♥
Saints Row IV
Payday: The Heist
Persona 5 ♥♥
Star Trek
Batman: Arkham City
Portal 2
Mass Effect 2 ♥
Grand Theft Auto V
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Dear Esther
Astro's Playroom ♥
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Windosill
Monument Valley
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077

The only one I couldn't/didn't finish was Catherine. :shrug:
DT.

Post by DT. »

nrh wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:24 pm after a long time without touching any games i've been enjoying my time with disco elysium...for all the planescape: torment comparisons it actually reminds me the most of the very dense middle section of grim fandango, this intense interlocking urban landscape full of puzzles that are mostly connecting dots between people and places and relationships. and the way it handles rpg type skills is very sophisticated. not sure where it's all going to end up but interested so far. certainly the most intriguing thing i've played past kentucky route zero or so.
Eagerly awaiting the console port. It's due this month, but there's been nothing but radio silence...
FLABREZU

Post by FLABREZU »

the only video games that i play are league of legends and chess however i also listen to this song for inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Uh3OJCx3o
Pretentious Hipster

DT. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:31 pm To bump this I will present this

Well, that's your channel sorted for the foreseeable future. :icon_mrgreen:
I actually started showing my face in them too. Very proud of my latest one as it skits that I think work well. Someone on twitter with almost 2k subs posted it on his account, but I only got like 6 likes out of it. Still, it resulted in some subscribers that are bigger than me in the msdos scene, so it feels good and probably means we can do a collab.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Hi, my name is Search and I'm a gamer. Not only that, I also post on a gaming forum. I know I have a problem, but I hope that in time I can overcome this. Nice to meet you all!
aka FGNRSY
nrh

Post by nrh »

DT. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:31 pm

Eagerly awaiting the console port. It's due this month, but there's been nothing but radio silence...
should say i finished disco elysium since posting last and it more than sticks the landing, all in all it is i think one of the most carefully thought through video game plots i can think of. have been wanting to replay and try a different set of character options, but waiting for the march update which is supposed add a good deal of extra stuff.
DT.

Post by DT. »

Searchlike wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:58 pm Hi, my name is Search and I'm a gamer. Not only that, I also post on a gaming forum. I know I have a problem, but I hope that in time I can overcome this. Nice to meet you all!
Likewise!
Abe

Post by Abe »

nrh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:08 pm
DT. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:31 pm

should say i finished disco elysium since posting last and it more than sticks the landing, all in all it is i think one of the most carefully thought through video game plots i can think of. have been wanting to replay and try a different set of character options, but waiting for the march update which is supposed add a good deal of extra stuff.
Disco Elysium has me really intrigued and I'm also waiting for the console port. DT, I don't know if you heard but the dev confirmed in the last day or so that it definitely is still coming to consoles this month, though oddly they did not give a precise date.

Currently I'm playing Demon's Souls remake. It's been a long time since I played the original, and I had forgotten how good it is. Bluepoint did a great job on the remake, looks and plays wonderfully.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

picked up witcher 3 a couple months back, played it for a handful of hours, haven't picked it up since. for one thing, it's a button masher; the term 'fight mechanics' would be a massive overstatement (seriously, skyrim plays like a tactical strategizing chess-like beast in comparison). and while the battle system is overly simplistic, every other system (what might be termed rpg mechanics, i suppose) is overly mechanical, i.e., not very fun. controls are clunky; geralt moves like an unwieldy snake, while your horse moves like a lumbering mass. menus suck; print is too small, screen is too busy, and none of it is intuitive (i fucking hate games where i have to stop playing and google something that should be ridiculously simple like 'how do i place a marker on the map reeeeeeeeeee'). but i suppose my biggest complaint is that it's not open world. if you read that in a review for the game, it's a lie. it's a linear story-driven game in a very very big world, but it's not a game where you can just do whatever you want from the get-go, disembarking entirely from the narrative immediately. it's a big world with lots of side quests, sure, but the world doesn't really open up until you follow the inciting events of the paint-by-numbers 1-2-3 storyline, go here do this go there do that, rendering it a glorified platformer in reality. doubt i'll go back to it tbh. the in-game card game was fun tho...
DT.

Post by DT. »

thoxans wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:05 am for one thing, it's a button masher; the term 'fight mechanics' would be a massive overstatement (seriously, skyrim plays like a tactical strategizing chess-like beast in comparison). and while the battle system is overly simplistic, every other system (what might be termed rpg mechanics, i suppose) is overly mechanical, i.e., not very fun. controls are clunky; geralt moves like an unwieldy snake, while your horse moves like a lumbering mass. menus suck; print is too small, screen is too busy, and none of it is intuitive (i fucking hate games where i have to stop playing and google something that should be ridiculously simple like 'how do i place a marker on the map reeeeeeeeeee').
Sounds exactly like Cyberpunk. :D At least that game is open world, even though it feels completely barren.
greennui

Post by greennui »

thoxans wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:05 am picked up witcher 3 a couple months back, played it for a handful of hours, haven't picked it up since. for one thing, it's a button masher; the term 'fight mechanics' would be a massive overstatement (seriously, skyrim plays like a tactical strategizing chess-like beast in comparison). and while the battle system is overly simplistic, every other system (what might be termed rpg mechanics, i suppose) is overly mechanical, i.e., not very fun. controls are clunky; geralt moves like an unwieldy snake, while your horse moves like a lumbering mass. menus suck; print is too small, screen is too busy, and none of it is intuitive (i fucking hate games where i have to stop playing and google something that should be ridiculously simple like 'how do i place a marker on the map reeeeeeeeeee'). but i suppose my biggest complaint is that it's not open world. if you read that in a review for the game, it's a lie. it's a linear story-driven game in a very very big world, but it's not a game where you can just do whatever you want from the get-go, disembarking entirely from the narrative immediately. it's a big world with lots of side quests, sure, but the world doesn't really open up until you follow the inciting events of the paint-by-numbers 1-2-3 storyline, go here do this go there do that, rendering it a glorified platformer in reality. doubt i'll go back to it tbh. the in-game card game was fun tho...
lol you just described my experience with that game, good money down the drain, just so cumbersome...ended up buying Skyrim again as an antidote.
Last edited by greennui on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Lately I've been replaying the Donkey Kong Country games on Nintendo Switch Online, DKC2 is a bonafide 10/10.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

greennui wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:31 amgood money down the drain
it's absolutely mindboggling how often it pops up near or even at the top of best-of lists for xbox one games. think i ended up spending more time googling stuff like 'i don't like witcher 3' than i spent actually playing the game. online there's this crazy large cult surrounding it. most of the replies i read to comments like 'i don't like witcher 3' go something like 'you gotta get to x point in the game, and then it really sucks you in.' um. no. sunk cost fallacy, bro. i'm not throwing good time after bad, hoping that it eventually gets not-bad-maybe-good. rdr2 has a slowburn beginning, but i got into that basically immediately. also, if x point in the game doesn't make the clunky mechanics infinitely better, then i'm not gonna get sucked in. maybe, one day, when i have the time and inclination, i'll pick it up again... maybe. but in the meantime, i'd rather kill braincells by replaying gta v or whatever for the nth time
Pretentious Hipster

I'm kind of having that now with Monkey Island 2. It is a million times worse than part 1, but the consensus is that people enjoy it just as much.
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

greennui wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:31 am just so cumbersome...ended up buying Skyrim again as an antidote.
glad I'm not the only one who greatly prefers Skyrim to The Witcher 3.
DT. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:53 am Sounds exactly like Cyberpunk.
now this was money right down the drain. total garbage in pretty much every regard.
:lboxd:
DT.

Post by DT. »

There were things I loved about Cyberpunk - chief among them the propulsive story missions and incredibly immersive first-person storytelling - but the rest felt empty or recycled from every other open-world RPG, with nothing meaningful behind it.

And of course, the bugs - it really felt like a beta version.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

for anyone who doubts the severity of my shitty internet, i started (re)installing gta v on sunday @ 9am, and here it is wednesday @ 11am, and it's still got 5gb of updates to dl :helpsign:
Mauries

Post by Mauries »

In the last year or so:

The Last of Us 2 ♥♥
Death Stranding ♥♥
Inside ♥♥

Nier: Automata ♥ [only 1,5 playthrough, so didn't finish yet]
God of War ♥

Side games:
Overcooked 1+2
Rayman Legends
Untitled Goose Game
Astro’s Playroom
Fez
Cuphead [didn't finish YET]

now half playing:
Skyrim
Ratchet & Clank
Cyberpunk 2077 [but I think I will wait for a PS5 version...]
DT.

Post by DT. »

I was today years old when I learned this existed:

Seven Samurai 20XX is a PlayStation 2 game released by Sammy Studios in 2004. Its story and concept are based upon Akira Kurosawa's 1954 movie Seven Samurai. Rights for the production of the game were given by the Kurosawa production, with character designs by French artist Mœbius and the composition of the music by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Seven Samurai 20XX is a re-telling of Seven Samurai in a futuristic setting. It takes various liberties with the original story to better suit the post setting and introduces anime and modern styled designs. The game follows seven samurai as they fight off an immense army of mutants, cyborgs and other inhuman creatures in an attempt to bring about a regime of peace for those in need.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

been killing brain cells playing worldbox, an old school worldbuilding app. still being developed/improved upon, but i dig the pixelated aesthetic; not to mention how playing god satiates my ego
Mauries

Post by Mauries »

Anyone into No Man's Sky here? I bought it last week and explored it a little on PS4, looking forward to play it next week on PS5 with all the latest nextgen updates.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

speaking about my presence on various social media (in another thread)...
i don't play video games but i am a long-term "user" of Fontstruct = an online tool to make modular fonts & affiliated social media of "fontstructors" (an equivalent of "superchampers").
some of the fontstructors are video game enthusiasts and they are mimicking (via Fontstruct) various fonts used in various video games (the library of such fonts currently contains about 1300 entries).
all these fonts can be freely downloaded and used to compose f.e. a stylish love letter to your co-videogamer crush.
all these fonts bear the tag "Game Recreations".
https://fontstruct.com/gallery/set/144/game-recreations

here is an initial write up about "The Video Game Font Preservation Society"
https://fontstruct.com/news/2018/10/19/ ... n-society/
A few weeks ago we launched FontStruct’s first user-curated set of FontStructions – the “Game Recreations” set – highlighting a significant but often neglected corner of our typographic world. The set’s intrepid and expert curators have already amassed a fabulous collection of over 700 designs, and here they explain a little of the history behind their project and invite you to contribute. This is a guest post from Patrick H. Lauke (Redux) and Goatmeal.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

That's super cool. I'll be sharing these on a game forum I frequent. Thanks!
aka FGNRSY