Last Watched

St. Gloede

Re: Last Watched

Post by St. Gloede »

Haha, I had never considered we had completely opposite tastes, but yes, frenetic will beat melodrama in my book. I never thought of it as claustrophobic, too bad the print was poor. The print is saw was quite good, and I believe there has been a restoration done after I saw it as well.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Column South (Frederick De Cordova, 1953) 6/10

Audie Murphy western where he plays poker and tries to stop the war between US cavalry and the Navajo. Decent b-movie western with Audie and Robert Sterling.

rischka

Post by rischka »

oh forgot to say i watched disney's black hole (1979) :lol: dunno how i've missed this one

https://twitter.com/rbgscfz/status/1522 ... eMYpapVK7A

the mini 2001 tribute :lol: it's v silly but looks really cool (better than star wars possibly)
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

off on an hk adventure

zu warriors (2001)
once upon a time in china V (1994)
last hurrah for chivalry (1979)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

it's my happy place :cry:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

adding butterfly sword and tai-chi master in order to obtain marital arts badge on icheckmovies :p

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

also i might be the only one but i love zu warriors :cry:

https://twitter.com/rbgscfz/status/1524 ... DyoVZEpRnQ

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Silga

Post by Silga »

I have been watching Hong Kong films this month too.

Fist of Fury (Wei Lo, 1972) 8/10
Dragon Lord (Jackie Chan, 1982) 6/10
Project A (Jackie Chan, 1983) 4/10
Wheels on Meals (Sammo Hung, 1984) 5/10
Armour of God (Jackie Chan, 1986) 4/10

Fist of Fury is, probably, the best martial arts film I've seen so far and my favorite Bruce Lee film (I stll need to watch The Big Boss).
Fist of Fury has some extremely well choreographed fight scenes, great set-pieces and a comperatively good storyline for a martial arts film. Enter the Dragon is in a near second place for me. Both films are also way better than the bland and shallow The Way of the Dragon.

Also, I think I'm now in love with Lola Forner. Might be one of the prettiest women I've ever seen in film. She appeared in both Wheels on Meals and Armour of God.

sally

Post by sally »

i'm glad silga replied. i like the pretty pictures but i had no idea what rischka was on about :D
rischka

Post by rischka »

that should say martial arts not marital arts :rofl:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

marital/martial arts most cross most elegantly done by lau kar-leung in heroes of the east and executioners from shaolin ofc.

2002 zu warriors is just such a tragedy if you love tsui hark. a truly terrible physical shoot (apparently almost all of the crew at some point were laid up with pneumonia) that led to horrible cost overruns that caused them to be stuck with a hk based cgi house that simply couldn't do what they were asked to. so a ton of major sequences were left on the cutting room floor.

that said i'm not sure it's that much worse than the original '80s one, which amazing technical stuff aside always feels tedious to me. and that "bad" early 2000s cgi seems so carefully designed compared to the recent string of mainland wuxia movies in the last few years.

i really love his next big movie though, seven swords which is also kind of cursed (cut down but an hour and a half by studio, sequels never shot), but it is very beautiful in parts. and lau kar leung last film credit i think...
rischka

Post by rischka »

i love them BOTH. ZU>MCU

tai-chi master is pretty good too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

kohoutková / tap water - veronika lišková (2015)

horror story!

ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

sally wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:04 pm horror story!
now, after watching the short, i can vaguely remember all the excessive shitting and puking in the wider neighborhood (in Prague 6 and Bubeneč of Prague 7) in 2015.
i live in a different part of Prague 7 so i didn't join the shit & puke party.
in the post-covid era, it is hard to recall vividly any of the pre-covid afflictions.
covid has stolen all the fame that other afflictions (including the feces in drinking water of 2015) should have had!
sally

Post by sally »

voyage iconographique: le martyre de saint-sébastien (eric pauwels, 1989) #icmreligion

watched for icm challenge so wouldn't really mention it here only:

AAAARGH! the creeping panda sickness is everywhere!!!!

(amelioration: how fucking hot was 22 yr old van dyck doing self-portrait as pre-penetrated saint? ♥♥♥)

greennui

Post by greennui »

Drive My Car - idk everything about this film just left me cold.
pabs

Post by pabs »

pabs

Post by pabs »

Posting youtube links works for me.
pabs

Post by pabs »

Seems as though the Quick Reply field is the only way I can post nowadays. I can't come back and edit any of my posts afterwards, though.

Anyhow, I hope some of the cat lovers here will enjoy that doc.
rischka

Post by rischka »

everything happening everywhere all at once?? i think that's what it's called :lol:

the best part was a great role for michelle yeoh as NEO in the matrix via quantum physics. with corny 'emotional' resolution. i was suspicious and almost gave up after hot-dog fingers and the everything bagel. anyone else seen this? i've seen a lot of hype but pretty much avoided reviews & esp letterboxd

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

or as my friend wrote today: 'cute, but keep the wachowskis’ names out your fucking mouths' xD

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

watched rajamouli's RRR: insanity. like tarantino's version of indian independence but better

i only wish they'd done this while also riding the motorcycle

ANTIFA 4-EVA

flip

Post by flip »

i saw everything everywhere, might have loved it if it maintained its nihilistic anarchism to the end, but when it resolved in the obvious way, i was like ' you just undermined your whole movie'. and rhythmically it's kind of like sticking your head inside a snare drum that a drunk four year old is banging away on for two hours. but i'm much happier watching something trying to be this inventive than i am watching most hollywood product, and the costume team, the editors, and michelle yeoh all deserve some kind of award.
nrh

Post by nrh »

the original conversation around rrr became so contentious so fast that it's interesting to see it break out into the wider world of, like, alamo draft house kids. it definitely fell a little bit for me when i watched it for the second time in the theater (idealogical questions aside i think the 2nd half loses steam at several points), and it's definitely a step back from baahubali: the conclusion, but man, those set pieces...

kind of shocked to say this but i really disliked memoria, the first time an apichatpong movie felt like a failure to me, and that includes the odd sketch films like mekong hotel. caveat is that the 35mm projection at museum of the moving image had some issues (really soft in spots, and the sound was a little muddy which seems like a big problem for this particular movie), so i'll definitely check it out in a digital copy, but not sure that will solve some of my fundamental issues with the movie. glad seema didn't like it either, otherwise i would have assumed i'd gone crazy, since nearly everyone seems to adore it...
rischka

Post by rischka »

i still haven't watched memoria but it's on my desktop and i don't want to ruin it D:

watched the northman - obviously goofy as hell but it looked pretty cool. and alexander skarsgard <3

chip n dale rescue rangers made me laugh when i really needed it too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Post by ... »

I was pleased to find out today that, amazingly, Memoria is going to play at my local rinkydink college town theater in a couple weeks. So plans are being made to see it just as Apichatpong intended, ahem.

(By plans, I mean I'm gonna go, there's not anything more complex involved than the decision itself really, not like I'm some sort of bigwig that needs to clear their calendar or coordinate with associates or anything, just need to walk two blocks over and buy a ticket.)
rischka

Post by rischka »

continuing in trash mode - i watched nightwing from 1979, d. arthur hiller

i like that they tried to respect native cultures but inventing tribes maybe wasn't the best way to do that. the bat attacks made me LOL but taking the story into sacred space was kinda cool, like peter weir's the last wave from two years earlier

ANTIFA 4-EVA

kabs

Post by kabs »

Watched a while ago, finally put my thoughts together.

Have gotten into double billing my films so I could watch more intentionally, started with a Jeon Jong Seo double feature, The Call and Nothing Serious. The Call (2020) combines a cautionary time travel story and a Frankenstein-esque thriller from debut director, Lee Chung-hyun. It is pretty simple, we start at one place, we end at practically the same place but far wiser. Not a film committed to anything at least from I got in this first viewing but creating moments that are as in the words of critic Pierce Conrad's letterboxd review-"Breathless, stylish and deliciously demented."

Nothing Serious (2021) for me was an interesting mixed bag, rather than "the new masterpiece of romance" I saw it be called. A small, cynical rom-com and her first commercial debut, it is much like her other work centred around her bold, blunt, and chaotic female leads and honest observations about modern heterosexual romance. That's fun and all but the scaffolding around these elements fails and results in these elements not working well for a lot of the film. The sex column so key to the plot reduces the FL to an unique manic pixie sex dream girl, the seemingly unconventional plot quickly falls back into sentimental cliches, the conflict is feeble and the observations are dated and rather tame compared to her previous work. But there is stuff to love like Son Sukku and Jeon Jong Seo are really great here both individually and together and I love the hazy, dreamy feel of the late night/early morning scenes.
rischka

Post by rischka »

getting so annoyed with this website but trying to keep posting :'(

[img]https://i.imgur.com/V2DjVDd.png[\img]

got to watch a couple of productions my grandpa worked on in the 50s. lowell thomas is pretty boring but these exotic cinerama travelogues were beautiful, if stagey and spiked with predictable colonialist attitudes. seven wonders of the world (1956) and search for paradise (1957) - in the second they travel on horseback to katmandu! i guess my grandpa liked adventure xD

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

lol i made a whole post and deleted by accident, re-did the whole thing and still fucked it up. sigh

ANTIFA 4-EVA