1943 poll 2.0

brian d

Re: 1943 poll 2.0

Post by brian d »

ickykino tweeovalis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 am btw. there is a film (loose) adaptation of Klíma's novel "The Sufferings of Prince Sternenhoch" (1928) called "Flames of Royal Love" (Jan Němec, 1991).
does he do the same thing to his wife's newly dead body in the movie that he does to it in the book? :o

and yeah, the little prince is one of those books whose popularity baffles me. seems like pretty cheap philosophy. but i did get to see the house where he lived in nice. the lady who was taking care of it said he was a brilliant philosopher, a middling pilot, and a terrible husband. i'm not sure she got the first one right. :?
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

brian d wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:35 pm does he do the same thing to his wife's newly dead body in the movie that he does to it in the book? :o
unfortunately, i can't tell because i read the book and watched the film in the early 1990s and thus details (about the film & book) are blurred within my memory.
what i deeply regret is i had several books (those early 1990s editions) of Ladislav Klíma (including "Sternenhoch") but at one point (during some past purge) i sold them in a second-hand book shop (getting only a few pennies in exchange). it was utterly stupid! i do only bad business.
Last edited by ole dole doff on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sally

Post by sally »

brian d wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:35 pm
ickykino tweeovalis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 am btw. there is a film (loose) adaptation of Klíma's novel "The Sufferings of Prince Sternenhoch" (1928) called "Flames of Royal Love" (Jan Němec, 1991).
does he do the same thing to his wife's newly dead body in the movie that he does to it in the book? :o
i love that book! although, i may have read it as a comedy? is it not? is that the only work of his that's been translated to english?
brian d

Post by brian d »

yeah i read it as a decadent comedy. not sure there's another way to read it, given how outlandish a lot of it is.
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

it is really hard to comment about the book or the film because it so long ago i read/watched them.
but i guess (as far as i remember) i was taking Ladislav Klíma (in general) pretty seriously (i was deeply existential) and thus i didn't like the film that was (in my view) excessively farcical.
i can't say to what degree the farce is part of the book but the film is definitely an (icky) comedy (if i remember right).

and i have no clue about English translations.
i am even surprised anyone abroad knows the name Ladislav Klíma and moreover even read a book by him!

i remember i liked a lot the "Large Novel" (3 volumes) that is highly amusing.
Last edited by ole dole doff on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian d

Post by brian d »

twisted spoon press published a couple of his books: the sufferings of prince sternenhoch and glorious nemesis. i tried them because i liked some other things they had published. as i remember, glorious nemesis is much more serious, but prince sternenhoch is pretty farcical.
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

brian d wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm twisted spoon press published a couple of his books: the sufferings of prince sternenhoch and glorious nemesis.
i see besides these two they also published "A Postmortem Dream".
the rest is labeled as "forthcoming".
https://www.twistedspoon.com/postmortem-dream.html
sally

Post by sally »

oooh a postmortem dream sounds nice

i was so foolish that i didn't even sell my copy of sternenhoch, the twisted spoon hardback edition was such a lovely object, the illustrations were in colour and the heavy paper was pleasant to touch (icky) so i left it for free in the train station bookswap corner to snare an unwary traveller. i hope they enjoyed it!
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

i see on twisted spoon web they write...
He settled in Prague's Smíchov district where he wrote his first work in 1904, The World as Consciousness and Nothing (published anonymously and at his own expense), in which he makes the case that "the world" is nothing but a fiction. His major inspirations were Berkeley, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and the Czech symbolist poet Otokar Březina. Klíma's philosophy has been called radical subjective idealism, where all reality culminates in an absolute subject, and he developed this into the metaphysical systems of egosolism and deoessence (one fully understanding his substance and becoming the creator of his own divinity). These themes are also explored in his fictions, chief among which are The Sufferings of Prince Sternenhoch and Glorious Nemesis.
"The World as Consciousness and Nothing" (his "serious" philosophical treatise) was the first book i read (by him) and only then the rest (novels, letters).
it is maybe the reason i was taking his novels more seriously than they may deserve to be taken.
if his oeuvre is approached without "The World as Consciousness and Nothing" (going directly to his novels) the comic side might shine brighter.

i guess i am going to watch FLAMES OF ROYAL LOVE (also known as IN THE LIGHT OF THE KING'S LOVE) now :)
this conversation made me really curious to watch the film again!
sally

Post by sally »

am now wrestling with the awful possibility that when i have been chuckling away to jiri, he may have been being deadly serious!

i may have even misunderstood every single person on this site! (oh god, this is after only 10 mins of walser)

anyway i have found the perfect 43 to watch next, the finnish miss hothead
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm the awful possibility that when i have been chuckling away to jiri, he may have been being deadly serious!
that's why Albert Camus wrote in 1943 "The Misunderstanding" (Le Malentendu) so we can understand (and cherish) our misunderstandings! :)
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

FWIW.... I would read Zarathustra as my first Nietzsche like I would read The Republic as my first Plato or watch Madadayo as my first Kurosawa :shock:
sally

Post by sally »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm anyway i have found the perfect 43 to watch next, the finnish miss hothead

vaala is never more than average, barely that (i think? tell me i'm wrong!) but oh the dry dry dry understated everything is total catnip to me

plus this is proto kati outinen and not an empty vessel in sight! (she's called birdie too, although i might be every single woman in this movie) fuck you sexist pigs, i'm moving to finland

ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

speaking about catnip...
in the past, i was wondering if all those claims about catnip are true and i planted 3 catnips in the middle of my strawberry field.
my neighbors have cats and their pathways are crossing my plot, roof of my cottage, and alike.
for several (initial) months the catnips were ignored.
but then not only neighbor's cats but cats from the wide neighborhood (completely unknown cats) started to come.
they all mumbled catnip and stared at me stoned.
ultimately, i had to replant those 3 catnips to the corner of the plot.
i was terrified by the idea that processions of cats (catnip junkies) might start to piss (in a grand scale) on strawberries.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Sonja (Hampe Faustman) - Fairly lukewarm execution of daring themes. I always enjoy Sture Lagerwall's screen presence though, he's quite menacing in this one.

Titanic (Werner Klingler, Herbert Selpin) - Sybille Schmitz hot. Not much else going for it.
Selpin was chosen by Goebbels to direct Titanic, intended by the Minister to be both a blockbuster hit and effective anti-British propaganda. The story of the doomed ship was re-written by Walter Zerlett-Olfenius to put blame on J. Bruce Ismay, chairman of the White Star Line, and his British and American capitalist backers who, according to the screenplay, wanted the ship to make the passage as quickly as possible, no matter what the danger was to the passengers, in order to gain advantage in the line's competition with the Cunard Line, and thereby to make as much money as they could. A German character was also introduced who warned about the danger the ship was in by traveling so quickly.

Beginning in May, 1942, exterior scenes were shot at the German-occupied Polish Baltic Sea port of Gdynia (renamed Gotenhafen), on board SS Cap Arcona, a passenger liner that eventually shared Titanic's fate; it was sunk a few days before the end of World War II by the Royal Air Force on May 3, 1945, with loss of life more than three times than that on the actual Titanic. The ship had been turned into a prison ship and filled with Jewish inmates that, according to one hypothesis, the Nazis had put there in hopes that the ship would be destroyed by the British.

After one week of troubled shooting on Cap Arcona, with the Allies bombing not far away,[2] Herbert Selpin called a crisis meeting where he made unflattering comments about the Kriegsmarine officers who were supposed to be marine consultants for the film, but were more interested in molesting female cast members.[6] Selpin's close friend and the co-writer of the script, Walter Zerlett-Olfenius, reported him to the Gestapo, and Selpin was promptly arrested and personally questioned by Joseph Goebbels, who was the driving force behind the Titanic project. Selpin, however, did not retract his statement – infuriating Goebbels, since the Propaganda Minister had personally chosen Selpin to direct his propaganda epic. Within 24 hours of his arrest, Selpin was found hanged in his jail cell, which was ruled a suicide.[7] However, in reality, Goebbels had arranged for Selpin to be hanged and the hanging framed as a suicide.[8] The cast and crew were angry at the attempt to cover up Selpin's obvious murder and attempted to retaliate, but Goebbels countered them by issuing a proclamation stating that anyone who shunned Zerlett-Olfenius, who had reported Selpin, would answer to him personally.[8] The unfinished film, on which the production costs were spiralling wildly out of control, was in the end completed by an uncredited Werner Klingler.

But Goebbels banned its playing in Germany altogether, stating that the German people – who were at that point going through almost nightly Allied bombing raids – were less than enthusiastic about seeing a film that portrayed mass death and panic.[12][3][2] The Nazi leadership was also displeased with the manner in which the fictional character Petersen critiqued his superiors, which they regarded to be at odds with the Führerprinzip which demanded Germans unquestioningly obey the orders of their superiors.
sally

Post by sally »

that must be the only swedish film that isn't on netflix!
greennui

Post by greennui »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:51 am that must be the only swedish film that isn't on netflix!
It's on the Swedish equivalent of the BBC player so it might end up there sooner or later.

https://www.svtplay.se/genre/svenska-filmklassiker
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Round-up of recent '43 viewings that others might be interested in:

Port of Flowers (Keisuke Kinoshita) - Kinoshita's first movie, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's definitely pro Japanese warmaking, which isn't my preference, but it's just splendid filmmaking and a fascinating time capsule.

Whispering Footsteps (Howard Bretherton) - One of the few bonafide noirs of '43, a Poverty Row wrong man plot. Highly recommended to those with taste for B films.

Il birichino di papà (Raffaello Matarazzo) - Deanna Durbin, Italian-style! Pretty fun, thanks to a great lead performance.

Mystery Broadcast (George Sherman) - Vintage hokum at its finest, at least for me, as a fan of old-time radio, women sleuth fiction, and Poverty Row cinema, which this movie combines. Very well-done by Sherman.
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Does anybody know where I can find #5 of Five Film Exercises by J Whitney and J Whitney?1-4 are available, but...
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
Lencho of the Apes

I planned my 1943 viewing to include a hefty dose of movies from the Monogram-PRC-Republic stratum, but it turns out that wasn't a productive strategy for my purposes -- after Tahiti Honey and Submarine Alert, I'm gonna hafta switch tracks and go for Eurasian titles... I'm still making time for Whispering Footsteps, though, just in case.
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:47 am Does anybody know where I can find #5 of Five Film Exercises by J Whitney and J Whitney?1-4 are available, but...
i checked KM and seems like i watched (in the past) also only #1-4.
so, i can't help with finding #5 but (maybe) it might be useful to hear that (if my notes are not deluding me)...

FILM EXERCISE 1 is mentioned in...
Radical Light: Alternative Film and Video in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1945–2000
by Steve Anker (Editor), Steve Seid (Editor), Kathy Geritz (Editor)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/809 ... ical-light

FILM EXERCISE 4, FILM EXERCISE 5 are mentioned in...
Alternative Projections: Experimental Film in Los Angeles, 1945-1980
by David E. James (Editor), Adam Hyman (Editor)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/235 ... rojections
greennui

Post by greennui »

The Eternal Return/Phantom Baron, def enjoyed the latter of these Cocteau induced fantasies the most, what with it's atmospheric stylings and Jany Holt.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Biggest disappointment of '43 viewing has been Edgar G. Ulmer's output. He made 4 pictures that year, and of the 3 I've seen, none of them have an outside chance of making my list. Jive Junction is the last in my queue, so I'll set my hopes upon it.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm Biggest disappointment of '43 viewing has been Edgar G. Ulmer's output. He made 4 pictures that year, and of the 3 I've seen, none of them have an outside chance of making my list. Jive Junction is the last in my queue, so I'll set my hopes upon it.
Wouldn't you know it, Jive Junction was very good! Clearly, I think, the one production of the year that Ulmer most had his heart in. I'll definitely include it on my ballot. Ulmerphilia continues unabated.
Lencho of the Apes

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:26 pm Jive
Jive Junction did a lot of unexpected heavy-lifting, so yay. I'm surprised/disappointed Girls in Chains didn't click with you, though.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 am Jive Junction did a lot of unexpected heavy-lifting, so yay. I'm surprised/disappointed Girls in Chains didn't click with you, though.
I was surprised too. I will say that Girls in Chains seems heartfelt for Ulmer as well, with its anti-Fascism discourse and some well-shot moments, but I mostly found it mawkish and corny. Still my second favourite Ulmer of the year.
Lencho of the Apes

Heaven Can Wait is Lubitsch' version of Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp. I can't go on. I'll go on.
rischka

Post by rischka »

and lumière d'été is grémillon's règle du jeu. what a strange and breathtaking film

and his 'everyone has their reasons' ??

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

well at least we all agree that it's a great film :D (even if it has made me currently only want to watch soviet silents, contemporary films and those made by lesbians)
dominicano1970

Post by dominicano1970 »

Thoxans, do you prefer original or English titles?