Il Cinema Ritrovato 2019

arkheia

Il Cinema Ritrovato 2019

Post by arkheia »

Don't think I'll be able to go this year but I wanted to make a post about Il Cinema Ritrovato. For anyone who doesn't know about it, it's a one-of-a-kind week-long film festival at the end of June in Bologna, Italy that's dedicated exclusively to archival restorations screened on film. The program encompasses films from across the world and throughout the 20th century, starting with the earliest silents. I've been sporadically checking the website for updates and saw they now have some information about some of the programs this year. You can check it out in english here: https://festival.ilcinemaritrovato.it/e ... cipazioni/

Some of the programs include:
- Retrospectives for Henry King, Musidora, Felix E. Feist, Youssef Chahine, Eduardo De Filippo, Jean Gabin, and Georges Franju.
- 16mm experimental film showcase
- A series programed by Dave Kehr on overlooked William Fox films
- Seven programs celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Pan-African film festival FESPACO
- A series on 1960s golden age South Korean cinema.

They also do recurring programs as well, like a series of films from one century ago (so this year there will be a program of 1919 films), a series of non-Méliès/Lumière films from 1899, and a series of Buster Keaton films with live music.