Last Watched

rischka

Re: Last Watched

Post by rischka »

castaways of turtle island (1976), another ramshackle adventure from jacques rozier

i think a lot depends on one's reaction to the comic stylings of pierre richard

i smiled a few times (: lovely scenery
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
wba

Post by wba »

THE PRESIDIO (Peter Hyams, 1988)
Hyams is a true master, and the machine-gun-fire-like dialogue and characterization, coupled with one of the best chase scenes in film history...
The flud camerawork by Hyams himself is as always outstanding and his mastery of pacing and getting fantastic performances (Connery and Ryan are out of this world, Jack Warden and Mark Harmon (who plays a Tom Cruise character in this one) are also great) are at play here as well. This is great blink-and-you'll-miss-it filmaking at its finest (and there's much to miss - I had to rewind and rewatch scenes at least 30 times, and this was a re-watch in itself!). 9/10

POINT BLANK (John Boorman, 1967)
Hadn't seen this one before and was excited for it. Unfotunately there's nothing much to see. A young Boorman doesn't really know what to do with story and characters. Lee Marvin is fantastic, as always. As regular film noir goes, this is a depressed movie about a depressed protagonist with PTSD (how else could you feel when your best friend tries to kill you and your wife betrays you with said best friend as well, while both leave you for dead...). 6/10
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
sally

Post by sally »

aaaaaargh this is bliss

conte cruel - gaston modot (1930)

i always had the hots for modot and thrilled to see i'm justified cuz he can direct as well.....this is bresson avant bresson, fused with dreyer and the avant-garde....and i am completely on board with the parallel that the notes on henri draw between the forced conversion of jews to catholicism in the spanish inquisition, and the transition from (beautiful, free) silent cinema to boxy constrained sound

just deliriously good

https://www.cinematheque.fr/henri/film/ ... odot-1930/

rischka

Post by rischka »

that was amazing TY ♥

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

full contact (ringo lam 1992) with chow yun fat as a badass biker!! and simon yam coded very gay evil

yet somehow less offensive than some other hk 80s-90s films i've seen in that regard :?

a bromance for the ages! this was alot of fun. today i'll watch lam's full alert (1997) the end of hk cinema w/lau ching-wan 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

full alert is a much darker film - a cat & mouse game w lau ching-wan determined to stop a master criminal's heist at all costs and he is amazing as ever. no over the top violence, only blood soaked vengeance

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

Ringo Lam, a true master. :bow:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
rischka

Post by rischka »

i'm almost finished with parisette and it's been a delight 8-)

i've always liked this fellow :D

on the left is future director rene clair

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

sandra milovanoff 10 years on

in charles vanel's dans la nuit! (1930)

an horrific film with a lot of kinetic energy! too bad it's a one off. and sandra's last film due to her thick slavic accent

ANTIFA 4-EVA