New TSPDT poll: Beyond the Sight & Sound Canon

Angel

New TSPDT poll: Beyond the Sight & Sound Canon

Post by Angel »

https://www.theyshootpictures.com/

Please make sure you cast your vote. And spread the word!
Evelyn Library P.I.

Re: New TSPDT poll: Beyond the Sight & Sound Canon

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Top 100 is too bad, I'd think a top 10 would be more fitting for a S&S rival. Then again, I guess it had to be done since, lesser-known titles are less likely to overlap unless the ballot lengths are longer.
greennui

Post by greennui »

rischka

Post by rischka »

how come i never saw this
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Angel

Post by Angel »

There is plenty of time. We are still sending invitations...
Angel

Post by Angel »

Vote Finnish style: The Youtube-ballot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hYnQPec0M8
sally

Post by sally »

totally approve of this type of ballot :) although it's far too brave for me
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://letterboxd.com/rischka/list/bey ... -ss-canon/

ok i did this but i might change some manana

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Evelyn Library P.I.

Great list, rischka!

Oh, but Anne of the Indies isn't eligible! Pleased to say it got a vote in the actual S&S poll.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Still not over my immense frustration at the baffling Only Features (58m.+) rule for the BS&S poll.

How are we supposed to keep the memory of the first fifth (1895-1920) of film history alive if it's ruled out as ineligible by fiat in the very places intended to correct the oversights of the dominant venues for the narrating of film history? I fear this list is going to be even more biased to post-1960s cinema than the original S&S poll was...
nrh

Post by nrh »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:28 pm Still not over my immense frustration at the baffling Only Features (58m.+) rule for the BS&S poll.

How are we supposed to keep the memory of the first fifth (1895-1920) of film history alive if it's ruled out as ineligible by fiat in the very places intended to correct the oversights of the dominant venues for the narrating of film history?
and totally wiping out a fairly large percentage of all avant garde movies too...and of course a lot of medium length films (so hal hartley's surviving desire, axelle ropert's etoille violet, or alan clarke's christine are ineligible?). Just a strange decision.
rischka

Post by rischka »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:24 pm Great list, rischka!

Oh, but Anne of the Indies isn't eligible! Pleased to say it got a vote in the actual S&S poll.
thx evelyn don't know how i missed it. already called out rasmus for 'there's always tomorrow' :P

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

Just noticed that Surviving Desire and Lost in New York are under 58 minutes, two more free slots...
Evelyn Library P.I.

Apparently they're doing a separate poll for shorts. Not sure why they would do that, but my screed can be moderated...
Angel

Post by Angel »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:28 pm Still not over my immense frustration at the baffling Only Features (58m.+) rule for the BS&S poll.

How are we supposed to keep the memory of the first fifth (1895-1920) of film history alive if it's ruled out as ineligible by fiat in the very places intended to correct the oversights of the dominant venues for the narrating of film history? I fear this list is going to be even more biased to post-1960s cinema than the original S&S poll was...
I am afraid it is going to be biased to post-20th Century cinema. :lol:

Feel free to submit (via email) replacements for the shorts. Hopefully they will get their chance next year.
rischka

Post by rischka »

just spent a couple of hours typing all the info in the little box including imdb numbers. that was harder than picking the films

only 5 films from the current century, nothing pre-1920 :(

20s - 4
30s - 13
40s - 13
50s - 15
60s - 22
70s - 9
80s - 11
90s - 8

14/100 USian. i have to thank you wonderful people! nearly all of these i discovered here or at mubi ♥♥♥

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Angel

Post by Angel »

rischka wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:45 pm just spent a couple of hours typing all the info in the little box including imdb numbers. that was harder than picking the films

only 5 films from the current century, nothing pre-1920 :(

20s - 4
30s - 13
40s - 13
50s - 15
60s - 22
70s - 9
80s - 11
90s - 8

14/100 USian. i have to thank you wonderful people! nearly all of these i discovered here or at mubi ♥♥♥
Thanks for your time!

One ineligible film: Adoption (Mészáros 1975) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073948/

50/99 are orphans at the moment.
rischka

Post by rischka »

dammit I missed one

and why?? because they didn't list it by english title as they insist everyone else do. fine

ANTIFA 4-EVA

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

My ballot: https://letterboxd.com/gloede/list/my-b ... on-ballot/

Very difficult exercise. I essentially used my all-time favourite list, expluded the ineligible titles and then went to work cutting the end product down. I was surprised by how many were left, about half of my top 1000. There were even 3-4 films left id quite likely have included on my own 10 film ballot if I was an S&S voter.

The 40s and almost all of the 50s really took a beating here. It is likely partially driven by the fact that I have not been focusing too much on this period for the last few years and that the hidden gems might be slightly vaguer in mind. I did give some precedent to films I felt more passionately about and in some cases these were films I had seen more recently. At the flipside of this I have more or less always held the 40s to be the weakest decade. A part of the answer is also likely that films from this period got a decent push by the S&S voters, though many of the final favourites I were cutting from my list were silents, including the huge classic, The Last Command.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

sorry if this is answered on the site, couldnt find it, but are films from 2023 eligible? i pb only have one to submit anyway....
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Evelyn Library P.I.

Pleased to say Flip and I just might get the Deanna Durbin vehicle Mad About Music on the final list...
flip

Post by flip »

my ballot

https://letterboxd.com/fliptrotsky/list ... nd-ballot/

quite a few films discovered because of friends at scfz, so thanks everyone :)

i was trying to prioritize earlier films (meaning 1935-1960 or so, not the earliest films), but i think i failed at doing that. agree with the comments above about short films, especially seeing that someone like segundo de chomon won't get a single vote in either the original s+s balloting nor in this round, but if there is a later dedicated short film poll, that will partly remedy things.
flip

Post by flip »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:35 pm Pleased to say Flip and I just might get the Deanna Durbin vehicle Mad About Music on the final list...
i hope so! unless i missed something, i don't think a single durbin film even got a vote in the s+s polling
Angel

Post by Angel »

Curtis, baby wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:26 pm sorry if this is answered on the site, couldnt find it, but are films from 2023 eligible? i pb only have one to submit anyway....
Films premiered since August 2022 are not facing the same challenge. Those films are not a target, unless they are true hidden gems. But it is up to you...
wba

Post by wba »

Here's my list: https://letterboxd.com/wba/list/beyond- ... und-canon/

Compiling it proved to be no problem at all. From my personal Top 100 very few films had already been mentioned (about 10) or were not eligible (about 5) - I mean, not even Hayao Miyazaki's or Kar-wai Wong's best films were on the list! ^^ - and filling up those 15 spots was a cinch. So these are actually still pretty much the 100 best films of all time, according to me.

I also had to replace the film MICHELANGELO by Curt Oertel from 1940 with THE THIEF OF BAGDAD by Raoul Walsh from 1924 for my letterboxd list, cause the film by Oertel isn't on letterboxd.

EDIT:

By decade

1910s: 2
1920s: 2
1930s: 9
1940s: 8
1950s: 8
1960s: 23
1970s: 16
1980s: 19
1990s: 7
2000s: 4
2010s: 2

by country

Germany: 30
USA: 30
Japan: 18
Italy: 11
France: 10
Sweden: 4
Soviet Union: 2
Australia: 1
Austria: 1
Belgium: 1
Denmark: 1
Hong Kong: 1
India: 1
Netherlands: 1
Norway: 1
Poland: 1
Spain: 1
Switzerland: 1
Thailand: 1
UK: 1

directors with more than one film on the list:

Bo Widerberg: 2
Helmut Käutner: 2
Jacques Doillon: 2
Mamoru Oshii: 2
Susumu Hani: 2

screenwriters with more than one film on the list:

Steve Tesich: 2
Last edited by wba on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Angel

Post by Angel »

wba wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:33 am Here's my list: https://letterboxd.com/wba/list/beyond- ... und-canon/

Compiling it proved to be no problem at all. From my personal Top 100 very few films had already been mentioned (about 10) or were not eligible (about 5) - I mean, not even Hayao Miyazaki's or Kar-wai Wong's best films were on the list! ^^ - and filling up those 15 spots was a cinch. So these are actually still pretty much the 100 best films of all time, according to me.
83 orphans at the moment. Not bad at all! :lol:
wba

Post by wba »

Angel wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:02 am
wba wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:33 am Here's my list: https://letterboxd.com/wba/list/beyond- ... und-canon/

83 orphans at the moment. Not bad at all! :lol:
Out of curiosity I checked the views for my 100 films on letterboxd, and here are some interesting stats:

films with 10 or less views: 9
films with 20 or less views: 6
films with 50 or less views: 8
films with 100 or less views: 5
films with 150 or less views: 5
films with 300 or less views: 4
films with 500 or less views: 11

That's 48 out of the 100 films I listed, which have been seen by roughly 500 or less users on letterboxd...

Which means that not many film fans watch great cinema and outstanding films. That's probably also the reason why there are so few film fans overall: most people just watch shitty stuff most of the time and are therefore not that interested in cinema.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
greennui

Post by greennui »

Went ahead and created a non-feature edition, hopefully it'll gain some traction

https://letterboxd.com/greennui/list/be ... n-feature/
karl

Post by karl »

Cripes, I wish I'd never started this. I've got things to do today! But here's:

https://letterboxd.com/karljkiplin/list ... ond-sound/
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange