CoMo No. 15: Armenia (July, 2023)

sally

Re: CoMo No. 15: Armenia (July, 2023)

Post by sally »

the sixteenth - patvakan barkhudaryan (1929) #ArmenCoMo

pretty movie in which pretty boy gets loose lips. love the fact that the key moment of revelation and shame is associated with a camera (and foreshadowed in the film by little brat too) also some cracking #psycho-arborography

watch here: https://kinodaran.com/movie/492

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

THE COLOR OF ARMENIAN LAND (Mikhail Vartanov, 1969) #ArmenCoMo
the ancient and modern art of Armenia
biblical landscapes, the ruins of temples, frescos, cross-stones, contemporary sculptures, as well as the behind-the-scenes of Sergei Parajanov’s landmark Sayat Nova
the first installment of the documentary trilogy with "Minas: A Requiem" (1989) and "Parajanov: The Last Spring" (1992)
KHIMZAVOD (Astghik Aslanyan, Alexander Melyan, 2019) #ArmenCoMo
A short film about a small town where the past and the present are difficult to tell apart.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

THE FIFTH DREAM (Serge Avedikian, 1995) #ArmenCoMo
Not a sound, only landscapes, raw sounds... Some births and deaths of bees... Traveling from one to another space, a man looks at them, dreams of them... Sometimes, he remembers his joyful youth. At the end of his travel, he arrives in a colourful market place, but he is alone, isolated in the middle of the organized and cruel society, like the bees.
this journey is nearing its end

time to light a fire in the other thread

see you there (tho still expect the epilogue)
karl

Post by karl »

I been there!

Hey, Sally, this Kinodran you been watching these movies on - it got subs? Cos I'm not seeing any on any of those links you shared.

(Apologies for being late to the party after the Armenian CoMo long finished, especially since I seen plenty of Armenian movies)
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
sally

Post by sally »

hey karl :)

yes on kinodaran (quality is much more fabulous than other prints elsewhere, at least for the ones i saw) but alas no subs. doesn't bother me that much for silents if i can read the plot beforehand or it's so stereotyped that they're not necessary - which is the case for some of the sound films...if i'm feeling particularly brave i'll watch a few as i reckon it's the only way we'll ever see them.....

anyway we should all be watching more armenian films at the moment, the least we can do......
karl

Post by karl »

There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
karl

Post by karl »

By the way, magpies, you see Malyan's Father with subs or no?
sally

Post by sally »

karl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:29 pm By the way, magpies, you see Malyan's Father with subs or no?
with subs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2R8r9NS7E4
karl

Post by karl »

I found that one too! Discovered it totally by accident on one of my occasional obsessive Youtube movie hunts (once every two weeks, tops). Was amazed it existed. And despite the 1972 label on the video - most Russian & Soviet films due to the calendar they used are listed as a year earlier over there - this is one for the upcoming '73 poll. Seems I liked it better than you, even if I don't think it's one of Malyan's best. Didn't think it "regime compliant." The kid who cheats to get into university gets away with it, for example - something you sure wouldn't see in a 1953 Soviet flick - and there's a thread of dissatisfaction throughout, even from the Soviet-goodboy patriarch, who I don't think you could say exactly triumphs in the end. Liked the pervasive melancholy-Armenian tone, some good comic touches, but thought it was a little too drifting & not much character development outside of Frunzik Mkrtchyan with the terrific nose & moustache.