Some things are Tennis

Silga

Re: Some things are Tennis

Post by Silga »

wba wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:41 am Yeah, but it's a bit pointless when the best player in the world isn't allowed to participate in the tournament.
He is allowed to participate, he just chose not to comply with the entry requirements to the United States.

I don't see any loss for tennis when a certain player decides to participate in his own libertarian warfare instead of playing sports.
wba

Post by wba »

Silga wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:19 pm
wba wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:41 am Yeah, but it's a bit pointless when the best player in the world isn't allowed to participate in the tournament.
He is allowed to participate, he just chose not to comply with the entry requirements to the United States.

I don't see any loss for tennis when a certain player decides to participate in his own libertarian warfare instead of playing sports.
Eh, yes, exactly. Totally.
He is allowed to participate, he just isn't allowed to enter the United States. :lol:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
rischka

Post by rischka »

Roger Federer announces his retirement from tennis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... r-retires/

Good decision 👍
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

i mean, he was the only reason i ever watched a single tennis match.
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://twitter.com/RafaelNadal/status/ ... zn6PqaCvgw

i think you're probably right about djokovic being the best player and there may be asterisks in the record books. it's good to see some new blood tho

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

rischka wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:47 pm
i think you're probably right about djokovic being the best player and there may be asterisks in the record books. it's good to see some new blood tho
Yes of course, new blood is badly needed. But wouldn't it have been sooo much better, if Alcaraz had defeated Djokovic on his way to the title as well? Even the great Andy Murray "merely" got to no.1 when Djokovic lost it mentally after his first French Open Triumph and both Nadal and Federer were not playing because of injuries.

It's too bad Roger Federer isn't playing anymore and has to leave us that way, having been out of the game because of his injuries. He was my favorite on the tour and he shoul'dve won one or even two of his last major finals against Djokovic. Unfortunately he mentally never seemed similarly tough as Nadal or Djokovic.

For the sake of tennis, I just hope Nadal recovers soon (and hopefully by god doesn't similarly end his career after being out of the game because of an injury!), and Djokovic gets to play all majors as well, so that the young guys get to finally beat both (maybe even on a regular basis) and a clear new no. 1 emerges.

Hell, Alcaraz being no. 1 currently is nothing but a joke. He is a fantastic player, and he surely must feel this as well. Not as big a joke as Medvedev being no. 1, but come on, the whole rankings are totally off for 2022, not least because of Wimbledon's stupid boycott of Russian and Belarus tennis players.

WE NEED TO GET BACK TO REGULAR TENNIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! Everyone being able to participate in every tournament. That should be the no. 1 priority for all organisers of the tour. Sports are not politics and shouldn't mingle in politics.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

PS: It's obvious Nadal should be the current no. 1 player (if anybody seems and might be better than Djokovic this year, it's Nadal), and if Wimbledon would have counted towards the points total on the ATP tour, he would currently be the unchalleneged no. 1 player (even with not playing for a while this year because of his injuries).

For comparison:

Nadal this year in the 4 majors: Won Australia, Won Paris, Semifinal Wimbledon (where he didn't lose, but quit because of an injury before the game!) and lost in the 4th round in the US.
Alcaraz this year in the 4 majors: lost in the 3rd Round in Australia, out in the quarterfinals in Paris, lost in the 4th round in Wimbledon, won in the US.

There actually really is no comparison, no contest who is the best - currently. It's definitely Nadal (or maybe Djokovic, which we don't know since he hasn't been allowed to play Australia and the US Open - though he did play with Nadal in Paris and in Wimbledon where unfortunately Nadal had to quit because of injury in the semifinals, so we're not really smarter if Djokovic could have defeated him in Wimbledon this year).

So I just hope Nadal takes back the no. 1 spot in the upcoming weeks as soon as possible and he keeps it for a few months (or if he's the best much longer!) until things have gone back to normal (hopefully!!!) and we can maybe have a regular 2023 season. Because of covid (and now the ongoing war between Russia and the Ukraine which has been happening for over 10 years already but which "western" people only seemed to notice this February/March...) we haven't had a regular season of tennis on either the men's or the women's tour since 2020!!!
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://twitter.com/elchiringuitotv/sta ... -6gpIP4yLw

federer's last pro match w rafa at the laver cup :| end of an era

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

its over
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
rischka

Post by rischka »

Go Carlos 👊 the kid is fearless

incredible match. joker hasn't lost on center court at wimbledon since 2013 (when carlos was 10). 45 consecutive matches

he looks a bit shell shocked tbh. Alcaraz has earned that world #1 now :cowboy:

nadal has been injured and plans to retire after next season. now he has a worthy successor :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Mario Gaborovic

Post by Mario Gaborovic »

Well it appears that Djokovic's name pops up on this or any other forum only when he loses to somebody else.

He's the record holder with 23 Grand Slams, beats any other stats in these terms, and there's nothing anybody could do about it.
rischka

Post by rischka »

calm down i love nikola djokic :P

https://youtu.be/AaZYx4CzDB8

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Mario Gaborovic

Post by Mario Gaborovic »

Yokich.

But at least you know it's not Yokik, which is how most of those ignorant commentators spell, even though it's 1) their f* job to know that, 2) these sportsmen are top class professionals, and 3) it ain't that hard considering how many Russian athletes are out there, but they still spell the last letters of their names correctly.