Directed by Actors Challenge

Silga

Re: Directed by Actors Challenge

Post by Silga »

31. Women Talking (Sarah Polley, 2022) 9/10

It seems Sarah Polley is now longer acting in movies and that she had made a full transition to directing, but I'm, nevertheless, including her in this challenge since I loved her performances and see her as an accomplished actor along with being a great writer/director.

I know that Women Talking received a lot of backlash to what people saw as a lackluster script (not the Academy, of course). In my opinion, it was a very obvious choice to take such form and attitude towards story-telling. In this case, the tone is set firmly and it keeps it's convictions throughout the entire runtime. There were obvious chances of this going in a more exploitative way, but I liked the serene yet sometimes convincingly fierce attitude of film's characters.

Beautiful performances, especially by Rooney Mara and Jessie Buckley. I was also very surprised by Judith Ivey - very commanding and assured role.

Women talking - and we all should listen

32. Alone Together (Katie Holmes, 2022) 6/10

Katie Holmes’ sophomore directorial effort is predictably formulaic and yet it feels fresh thanks to honest performances of its lead actors. It may be my long-term fan of Katie Holmes speaking, but she carries a captivating charisma and is capable of exactly this type of cinema that require a meet-cute and juggling around its intricacies.

COVID related films are new to everyone and at this time we are still very cynical and, maybe, sceptical about individual experiences that don't mirror ours. With time, the reflection on society's reaction to lockdown will alter into a more relaxed look and retrospectively we will reminisce about it in a way that holds more sympathy to the unique human condition.

Silga

Post by Silga »

33. LolliLove (Jenna Fischer, 2004) 7/10

A really fun and creative mockumentary by Jenna Fischer. Along with James Gunn she goes on a quest to help homeless people by giving each a lollipop with an uplifting message. A timely and smart satire that pokes fun at society's response to homelessness and how celebrities sometimes use human-interest stories to boost their popularity or just to cuddle their vanity. Cameos by Linda Cardellini, Jason Segel and Judy Greer.

34. The Human Contract (Jada Pinkett Smith, 2008) 5/10

A slightly unconventional film thanks to in-your-face approach by camera, editing and story all being very personal and up-close. Jason Clarke feels a bit miscast among others here and his uncertainty puts a major stop at what could have been an immersive study of loneliness, paired with corporate guy meets a lady and get's in trouble type of story. Paz Vega is a glamorous beauty and she always manages to lit up a screen. Jada Pinkett Smith showed some promise with this one and, maybe, she should look for another opportunity to direct.

Silga

Post by Silga »

35. Beautiful (Sally Field, 2000) 6/10 Directed by Women challenge

A movie about beauty pageants sounds boring and, likely, full of clichés. However, the approach to show the flaws of a leading character instead of making her a saint is a welcome change. Apparently that was the draw for Sally Field to board this project too. She successfully maneuvers the intricate plot-lines of Minnie Driver's Mona being a devoted beauty queen and having a secret life of a single mother. Of course, there are limitations here as well, especially with the script that still wants to be rather safe and innocent in its presentation. I wonder what could have been in the hands of a more daring production and with a more seasoned director at the helm.
There are also two very charming performances by Joey Lauren Adams and Hallie Eisenberg.

36. Mack & Rita (Katie Aselton, 2022) 2/10 Directed by Women challenge

This was an embarrassing film to watch. Hard to get through really. I felt sorry for Diane Keaton for being involved in this travesty. This is effectively a Big or 13 Going on 30 kind of film. And while those films have some charm to it, this 30 Going on 70 one is a lifeless schlock with vapid dialogues, forgettable story and empty characters.