Last Watched

Silga

Re: Last Watched

Post by Silga »

The Fabelmans opens here on January 27th. I plan to see it in cinema.

McDonagh's The Banshees of Inisherin slated for February 3rd. Probably my most anticipated of this season.
rischka

Post by rischka »

Silga wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:13 pm Homecoming is the only decent Tom Holland Spider-Man movie. The other two are ridiculously over-stuffed with characters and nonsensical plot. (or should I say - more so than the first one or other Marvel movies).
hmm as i suspected... no longer a tom holland stan (unless you count watching lip synch battle umbrella regularly (also i hope he and zendaya are getting married :P ))
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

spent a couple of days on john woo's red cliff (2008) abt the EPIC battle at red cliff abt 200AD

lots of spectacle, ever reliable tony leung and i feel like i haven't seen takeshi kanashiro in a long time? anyway nice to see him again. enjoyed in spite of 5 hrs run time

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Post by ... »

Is the second part worth seeing? I only saw the first half, the second never hit my video store, back when that was how I saw recentish movies.
rischka

Post by rischka »

greg x wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:16 pm Is the second part worth seeing? I only saw the first half, the second never hit my video store, back when that was how I saw recentish movies.
i think so! if you like beautiful set pieces and terrific action! it must have been overwhelming on a theater screen

part one is mostly a set up for part two so maybe watch it again :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

i actually saw this one on the big screen, didn't really like it though. but the only woo i love without reservation is probably bullet in the head.

wish tsui hark got to finish his seven swords series (the truncated first movie we have is great), and i would recommend ponniyan selvan over this...
rischka

Post by rischka »

the only woo i love is 'last hurrah for chivalry' :lol: never got the hype. i've had this one awhile; watched after the han dynasty episode of 'fall of civilizations' so i can say while it's not exactly historically accurate i could follow it well enough. you stayed in a theater for 5 hours?? not sure i could do that

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Post by ... »

Last Hurrah for Chivalry is my favorite Woo as well, but I did like him a fair bit back when there was more limited options for what I could see, so he stood out as being bold in a relative sense much more than he did after seeing more stuff. Still like The Killer some of his others during that run, but as much for how he makes use of his stars as his action scenes now. Sort of a limited shelf life kinda deal involved I guess.

I still want to see the second part of Red Cliff and now think I'll try and check out Ponniyan Selvan as well since that was another I was curious about.
nrh

Post by nrh »

rischka wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:03 am you stayed in a theater for 5 hours?? not sure i could do that
somewhat bizarrely the version they released in theaters in the us was cut down to just 150 minutes, i'd already seen the full version (the blu ray had been out for awhile) so it was mostly just out of curiosity...

have done some marathon shows though...gangs of wasseypur (twice), satantango, out 1 split across two days.
rischka

Post by rischka »

oh i take it back - i might do it for gangs of wasseypur :lol:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

finished the spider-man series - they were pretty dire. if it wasn't for jake gyllenhall and tobey maguire i wouldn't have finished them. 3 spider-mans. come on

what's lots more fun than the MCU?? ஆயிரத்தில் ஒருவன்/Aayirathil Oruvan (2010)

completely bonkers. lencho never lets me down :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Well, credit where it's due, I got it from NRH...
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

ok scfz never lets me down! the forum can never die :cry: :cry: :cry: thanks all of you for hanging

if i'm not wrong, we've been around longer than the auteurs/mubi forum lasted at this point :drinking:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

STUTZ (Hill, 2022). It's an interview of a psychologist called Stutz by the film's director. The director wanted to share what he learned from him. Loved it. Some nice techniques explained on how to make sense of life and all the slings and arrows we're heir to. Something to watch over and over again to use on myself.

It's on Netflix.
nrh

Post by nrh »

rischka wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:44 am what's lots more fun than the MCU?? ஆயிரத்தில் ஒருவன்/Aayirathil Oruvan (2010)
they're working on the sequel soon! was considered something of a commercial disappointment at the time but like a lot of selva's movies it's become a real cult movie over time.
Lencho of the Apes

You know something I haven't said in a long, long time? "Woot." That;s something I haven't said in a long, long time.
Lencho of the Apes

Cuando Viajan Las Estrellas - Alberto Gout, 1942

It's copyright-blocked in USA, but I finally found a copy. Not a knockout, but very nice, made by the production unit that did Bracho and Emilio Fernandez' first movies, mimicking a lot of comic gestures that Hollywood had developed in the screwball era. Gout shows that he was looking for Ninon from the very beginning of his career. And Jorge Negrete's in there, surprisingly young-looking. Etc etc.
rischka

Post by rischka »

mayabazar (reddy 1957) hope this will be restored, it's SO MUCH FUN. people mentioned king hu but it reminds me of the sinbad features on saturday afternoons :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

rischka wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:44 pm mayabazar (reddy 1957) hope this will be restored, it's SO MUCH FUN. people mentioned king hu but it reminds me of the sinbad features on saturday afternoons :D
it was already restored - they colorized it (hideously) and cut out scenes :(
rischka

Post by rischka »

oh no i'm sorry to hear it :(

i got this copy from twitter easternchauvinist but she doesn't seem to be there anymore. i wanted to thank her :cry:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

yeah, this was one of a couple classics where she went and fixed aspect ratio and made subs fit, i think kamal's legendary nuts 80s spy movie vikram and k. vishawanath's lovely swarnakamalam were the others, should probably post all three in resources here. hope she comes back...
rischka

Post by rischka »

ooooh i want to see vikram too :dance gif:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

rischka wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:13 pm ooooh i want to see vikram too :dance gif:
just added all three movies i have from her to the resources section.
rischka

Post by rischka »

TY NRH :kisscheek:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

Watched the tristram shandy movie. Best part was Walter and Toby fighting over who does a better Pacino

edit: also a nice feature with stephen fry touring shandy hall (it's quite small) and talking about his character yorick - most famous skull in western art as a stand in for the author

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

why is yellow the middle of the rainbow aka i am furious yellow/Bakit Dilaw ang Gitna ng Bahag-hari? - Tahimik 1994

should've watched this long ago. top notch diary film covering marcos/aquino, mt pinatubo, and a hitch hiking journey across the american west

lots of lo-fi meandering and kidlat's imaginative forays. this is turning into my best movie month of 2022 :shock: watched on docAlliance so thx again sally :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

jal90

Post by jal90 »

Been a very long while since I posted here. I want to fix that, this is always a fun thread to read.

So let's break the ice with Az Obsitos (Béla Balogh, 1917), which is... really something. First off, no subs and Hungarian intertitles, so I had to make some guerrilla filmwatching (¿?) with Google translate open in another tab. And damn it is frustratingly intertitle heavy, so it took much longer than I expected.

The movie iself wasn't very good or memorable, mainly due to a plot that I think wanders around for way too long before it gets to the point. But it is a decent story about -a very intimate and romantically coded, if you ask me- friendship and drama in wartime, with an interesting appearance of the number 1 trope in war movies* and something a little bit more... surprising, to say the least**.
Spoiler!
*"This is the person I left behind" *shows photograph* *instant death flags*

**Okay, so this is about András and Gyuri, two soldiers who become best friends and look very much alike. Gyuri, who dies, has a little sister and when András goes to his house bearing the bad news he is mistaken for Gyuri and starts to act as his friend. THIS IS MUDDY ENOUGH AS IT IS but when András tells the truth to Gyuri's little sister she falls in love??? With a guy who looks exactly like her dead brother?????

Not complaining, just completely in awe at the casual audacity tbh.
sally

Post by sally »

jag / i - peter kylberg (1966)

one of those cheery 60s films of middle-class male alienation and random shots of insects (stockholm is cool)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I just rewatched News From Home, I somehow did not connect to it at all the first time I saw it (back in 2012), this time it became an instant favourite and I couldn't believe how Akerman managed to craft two so unique and powerful films back to back - she was in her 20s, and essentially showcasing two completely different ways of making films. This one shot ahead of Dielman for me - the contrast between her mother's letters and the complete lack of human connections shot in NY is striking. The visuals reveal nothing of her life (or maybe they reveal all) as her mother pleads with her to write more often, asks about work and friends and gives mostly the same phrases letter after letter, with the generally unremarkable notes on family and friends.

I love the final long take, leaving NY, likely indicating that she is going home - but leaving the city almost a mystery - or rather a city that exists in itself rather than in relation to her life there. We see shots from cars, of street corners, people on the subway, but just nothing that directly attaches us to her. We don't even see her home, any belongings, her ... Meanwhile the noises often overpower the letters, with parts swallowed or not shared, while other times we hear next to nothing. It is heartbreaking in some ways, alienating in others, and consistently intriguing and stimulating in form and "narrative".

I'll definitely be revisiting Je tu il elle and The Meetings of Anna soon, especially the former as it was another Akerman I just didn't connect to at the time. (2010)
rischka

Post by rischka »

Benilde ou a Virgem Mãe is my new favorite christmas movie. seriously amazing. :shock: art horror, wicked satire, formalist masterpiece. wonderful score too.

now we'll see how godard fares in the battle of the blessed virgins :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA