CoMo No. 4: Netherlands (August, 2022)

niminy-piminy

Re: CoMo No. 4: Netherlands (August, 2022)

Post by niminy-piminy »

Zero Hour Zero (Simon Koster, Curt Oertel, 1928, 6m fragment) #CoMoNetherlands
When the Light Vanished (Maurits Binger, 1918, 65m) #CoMoNetherlands
Glint (Frans van de Staak, 1996, 80m) #CoMoNetherlands

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

https://filmdatabase.eyefilm.nl/en/coll ... ngelenberg

Daniel Singelenberg is a self-taught filmmaker. He came to Amsterdam in the early 1970s and joined the Film Coop. Beginning in the middle of the 1970s, he made several experimental films that display a strong personal tint (such as Lover) as well as a solid formal approach to the medium (which is best reflected in Another Shot from 1973, and Somersault Sally or: The Manipulation of Cinema from 1974).
ANOTHER SHOT (Daniël Singelenberg, 1973) #CoMoNetherlands
https://youtu.be/CIIzsq33obc
sally

Post by sally »

Mauries wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:54 pm You remembered! <3

Sorry, I was first very busy and then on a needed vacation. Hope to be more active again soon, and try to add some more recent Dutch short films to mix
hello stranger! glad to have a native finally join us :D please feel free to compensate our perverse viewing inclinations with recommendations!

although after my viewing so far i am quite prepared to campaign for frans van de staak (1989-98 era) to get arthouse canon status, should be waaaaaaaaaaaay more spoken about.
sally

Post by sally »

aside from this CoMo cementing my appreciation of FvdS...
We met for the first time at Jean-Marie Straub and Daniëlle Huillet’s apartment in
Rome —whereas the two of us live at a distance of a 5 minutes walk from each other (!).
Besides making films Frans van de Staak is also a graphic artist

OH, OF COURSE,

anyway i have also developed some nice feelings for barbara meter (♥ esp ariadne & persephone) and henri plaat (concentrated raúl ruiz stories in dream mode)

convalescing - barbara meter (2000) #CoMoNetherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vAWrKM ... e=emb_logo

from the labour of baruch d'espinoza - frans van de staak (1973) #CoMoNetherlands

Due to numerous conditions whatsoever the actual is present already. The principal incentive for making the film would be, then: how far is that, which lies hidden beneath the surface of historical dust, strong enough to resist the actual circumstances?....Well, to return to Spinoza’s texts: I have designed their form like a musical score, which is performed before the camera. And when this happens, then you observe how far these texts resist the present world of sounds. For every sound one can hear at the location of shooting, like cars, people, birds, planes, wind, acts as a disruption of the text...The same text is uttered by different persons, and the one expresses it with more insight, has more trouble or feels more about it than another person. And that is why the meaning is changing constantly.
https://www.atelierfransvandestaak.nl/e ... JvdSen.pdf

As, then, the certitude afforded to the prophet by signs was not mathematical (i.e. did not necessarily follow from the perception of the thing perceived or seen), but only moral, and as the signs were only given to convince the prophet, it follows that such signs were given according to the opinions and capacity of each prophet, so that a sign which convince one prophet would fall far short of convincing another who was imbued with different opinions. Therefore the signs varied according to the individual prophet.
SPINOZA

Last edited by sally on Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Is From the Labour of Baruch d’Espinoza available to view somewhere?
sally

Post by sally »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:00 pm Is From the Labour of Baruch d’Espinoza available to view somewhere?
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_V-IuVzYo
Evelyn Library P.I.

Bedankt :D !
Evelyn Library P.I.

Narren-Grappen (1908) If memory serves, this is the first movie I've watched for a CoMo. Unfortunately, I've realized it's unclear if it's actually Dutch, since it could be a movie from a different European national cinema that only survives in Dutch intertitles. Anyway, it's lesbian! Who cares?

Image Image
sally

Post by sally »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:11 pm There's an Ophuls from '36 that is just amazing, Het Komedie Em Geld. There's a Master Of Ceremonies, different kinds of Brechtian interventions all throughout, and some bravura camera strategies so elaborately worked-out they play like special effects
finally got to this, my last netherlands movie, ophüls is enjoying himself! def on some parallel formal continuum between room's a severe young man and käutner's apple movie

the trouble with money - max ophüls (1936) #CoMoNetherlands

sally

Post by sally »

my favourite dutch films, updated after this como

https://letterboxd.com/twodeadmagpies/l ... favourite/