Stanley Kubrick

Otello Cagliostro

Stanley Kubrick

Post by Otello Cagliostro »

i'm not a super fan of Kubrick but there as always been a topic that intreged me about him, his supposed hate of The wizard of Oz.

What do you guys think about it.

The show down begins...
Evelyn Library P.I.

Re: Stanley Kubrick

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

This is fun! I vastly prefer The Wizard of Oz to anything Kubrick ever made. Not a fan. I have some appreciation for The Killing, Dr. Strangelove, and 2001, though none to the degree of their reputations, and the rest I actively dislike. (A few major ones unseen: Killer’s Kiss; Spartacus; Barry Lyndon)
greennui

Post by greennui »

Otello Cagliostro

I feel that he is the type that you really like at the start of your cinephilia than move on to something else but finally come back to a while after, i'm starting to really like Full Metal Jacket even with the criticisms that it ressembles Sam Peckinpah and that the 2nd part is not as good.

I always saw his disliking of The Wizard of Oz as a fundamental clash of values in cinema. Especially pinpointed it to the discovering of The Wizard of Oz being an illusion or something. But, after all Kubrick liked White men can't jump who seems like juste an ok movie for me so maybe his distaste for it comes from elswhere.
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I didn't know about his hatred of Oz. I do find it interesting simply because of his love for David Lynch. Kubrick the filmmaker himself is someone I liked more when I was a late teen/early-20s guy. But I never had the overwhelming love for him that so many of my fellow early 20s guys did. With the exception of Eyes Wide Shut which I re-watched this Christmas and is still absolutely mesmerizing.
nrh

Post by nrh »

i wish kubrick had lived long enough to make more schnitzler adaptations starring tom cruise. cruise would have made a terrific lead in "casanova's return to venice."
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

He loved it, actually. Here's a quote straight from the man himself talking about Fleming and Co.:
it should not be out of place to observe that they have the very rare ability to dramatize their ideas rather than just talking about them. By making their points through the dramatic action of the story they gain the added power of allowing the audience to discover what's really going on rather than being told. They do this with such dazzling skill, you never see the ideas coming and don't realize until much later how profoundly they have reached your heart.
Oh wait, that was Kubrick on Dekalog, sorry, carry on with the thread.
aka FGNRSY
Otello Cagliostro

nrh wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm i wish kubrick had lived long enough to make more schnitzler adaptations starring tom cruise. cruise would have made a terrific lead in "casanova's return to venice."
Casanova by Fellini seems really good, maybe use it to cope a little :lol: