1943 poll 2.0

rischka

Re: 1943 poll 2.0

Post by rischka »

Umbugbene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks for running this, Thox! Great year to start it off with. My list includes no fewer than 7 pro-Resistance French allegories. Rischka, let me know if you want to read my analysis of Goupi mains rouges... it's a great Antifa film.
yes please :D
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

rischka wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:15 pm
Umbugbene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks for running this, Thox! Great year to start it off with. My list includes no fewer than 7 pro-Resistance French allegories. Rischka, let me know if you want to read my analysis of Goupi mains rouges... it's a great Antifa film.
yes please :D
PM sent.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Ordet (Gustaf Molander) - Enjoyed this one, been too long since I saw Dreyer's version so I can't really compare them much, though this one def has a more relaxed vibe to it, with Sjöström breaking out into silent film acting now and then.

Kinda curious about Sjöström's earring in this, would that be something a farmer would wear at the time or did he bring his own wardrobe? Maybe farmer girl knows?

rischka

Post by rischka »

LOL i didn't realize sjostrom was in this! now i wanna see it too. xD
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

swedish farmers of the xxx period? eh. but how nice is that restoration? thanks netflix. (imagine what they're gonna do with napoleon)

i'd watch it but i need something less serious atm
greennui

Post by greennui »

I actually walked past Sjöström's grave the other week. Love a walk through a vast cemetery.

Some more celebs:
Spoiler!
Think Molander was buried there as well but my feet were tired at that point.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

ha, i like cemetery pics!
cool to see the black cross of Strindberg (the author of my beloved "Inferno")!
local various cemeteries are also the seldom places of peace and tranquility within the loud symphony of the big city.
probably with the exception of the Old Town's Jewish cemetery during the tourist season — the urge to see the grave of Rabi Löw (inventor of Golem) is too strong for too many.
sally

Post by sally »

hasse gets the arse!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i interpret this enigmatic sentence that you are not really fond of Strindberg, Sally?!
sally

Post by sally »

ha well i was just referring to the ekman family burial, i've no opinion on strindberg, i started inferno once by reading the introduction and it made me think he was such a conceited pompous shit that i never made it to the actual text
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

oh, i took a second look on the pics and now i must admit that "hasse gets the arse!" is truly a very poignant (non-enigmatic) caption to one of the pics. :)
wba

Post by wba »

Poor Hasse... Fellow Strindberg fan here (though I'm sure he was a conceited pompous shit).
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i hesitate to call myself Strindberg fan because all i read is "Inferno" and "A Madman's Manifesto".
"Inferno" i liked a lot, while reading "A Madman's Manifesto" my enthusiasm to delve deeper into his oeuvre somewhat faded away.
then i watched a playdaptation THE DANCE OF DEATH (Torbjörn Ehrnvall, 1996) and it was (so far) the last chapter of my late explorations of Strindberg.
i am still curious about his (yet unexplored) paintings and photographs.
wba

Post by wba »

He was a wonderful painter, in my opinion, but I'm not familiar with his photography.
I haven't read that much myself (three novels, and a few shorter plays and stories), but so far much of it has been excellent.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Angel

Post by Angel »

Unranked ballot:
Air Force
Destination Tokyo
Distinto amanecer (Another Dawn)
Doña Bárbara
Douce
Edge of Darkness
Goupi mains rouges (It Happened at the Inn)
Hangmen Also Die!
Heaven Can Wait
I Walked with a Zombie
Le capitaine Fracasse (Captain Fracasse)
L'éternel retour (The Eternal Return)
Mr. Lucky
Münchhausen (The Adventures of Baron Munchausen)
Romanze in Moll (Romance in a Minor Key)
Safo, historia de una pasión (Safo: A Passion Story)
So Proudly We Hail!
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
This Land Is Mine
Una carta de amor (A Letter of Love)

Deliberately excluded (IMDb/TSPDT/S&S top 500):
Meshes of the Afternoon
Shadow of a Doubt
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Vredens dag

To see before the deadline (DtC nominees):
Ordet

To see (sadly) after the deadline:
Cry 'Havoc'
El peñón de las Ánimas
Hitler's Madman
I nostri sogni
Il birichino di papà
Johnny Come Lately
La ferme aux loups
Le baron fantôme
Marie-Martine
Muhomatsu no issho
Novye pokhozhdeniya Shveyka
Paracelsus
San Demetrio London
Sayon no kane
The Moon Is Down
Wilder Urlaub

Wanted:
Amor de Perdição
Corvette K-225
Le voyageur de la Toussaint
Ona zashchishchaet rodinu
T'amerò sempre
The Strange Death of Adolf Hitler
The Unknown Guest
Last edited by Angel on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

i'll include T.O.B.I. as 1943 if that's the consensus... if not just don't include it on my list plz

Shadow of a Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock, 1943)

I Walked with a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur, 1943)

The Ox-Bow Incident (William A. Wellman, 1943)

Sanshiro Sugata (Akira Kurosawa, 1943)

also seen: the leopard man, day of wrath, journey into fear. uninspiring
greennui

Post by greennui »

ickykino tweeovalis wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:27 am cool to see the black cross of Strindberg (the author of my beloved "Inferno")!
Have you seen the obscure TV movie adaptation? Directed by a guy from Czechoslovakia, starring Per Oscarsson as Strindberg.
https://letterboxd.com/film/inferno-1973/

greennui

Post by greennui »

Went to another cemetery this weekend, the woodland one.

Saw this lady's grave, already retired by '43.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

greennui wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 am Have you seen
no, i didn't.
somehow i didn't notice it exists.
so, thanks! definitely gonna watch it.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

greennui wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am the woodland one.
it looks like it is the cemetery conceived by Gunnar Asplund, right?
https://archeyes.com/woodland-cemetery- ... lewerentz/
if it is the very place, i am jealous you might have passed next to this building (i like it)...

Woodland Chapel, Asplund, 1918-22
greennui

Post by greennui »

Ah yes, we passed through that one and drank some wine atop the hill overlooking the crematorium, quite a sight to behold! Def one of the most gorgeous cemeteries I've ever been to, a splendid mix of architecture and natural beauty.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

most spectacular local crematorium is the one in the city of Pardubice.
in this building CREMATOR by Juraj Herz was shot.
greennui

Post by greennui »

I first read that as "in this building Juraj Herz was shot", sounded like a very cinematic end for a film director...

That is a neat building though. I remember the Jewish cemetery from a school trip to Prague years and years ago but i'm not sure we ever entered it, quite possible that is was too crowded. We did enter that chapel with all the skulls though.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i was inside Old Town's Jewish cemetery (marveling at Rabi Löw's grave) only once.
it is usually crowded and entry is (substantially) charged — so not really a place to go at random to contemplate.

then, there is another Jewish cemetery (freely accessible, not crowded) where Franz Kafka is buried.
tho i looked for Kafka's grave only once as well.

lately, i was passing regularly (while commuting to work) next to a cemetery that offers as its most spectacular item a grave of a little girl (as if sleeping, her head supported by a pillow).
i took a snapshot and when i tried to get familiar with the (pre mortem) history of this little girl i encountered at least 3 different (contradictory) tales.

otherwise, as the most mysterious Prague cemetery is considered the abandoned cemetery that was affiliated with a local psychiatric hospital.
the place where local lunatics were buried in the past.
somehow or other, i didn't visit the place yet — but it is one of my (countless) plans.
MOST SCARY PLACE IN PRAGUE! ABANDONED CEMETERY OF THE PSYCHIATRIC CLINIC IN BOHNICE
https://foodtoursprague.com/index.php/2 ... n-bohnice/

among the buried are supposed to be also Gavrilo Princip, who was to assassinate the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand d´Este.
tho wiki presents competing tale about the fate of Gavrilo's bones...
Fearing his bones might become relics for Slavic nationalists, Princip's prison guards secretly took the body to an unmarked grave, but a Czech soldier assigned to the burial remembered the location, and in 1920 Princip and the other "Heroes of Vidovdan" were exhumed and brought to Sarajevo, where they were buried together beneath the Vidovdan Heroes Chapel
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

obviously, the year 1943 was haunted by death (considering all the above cemetery/creamatorium chat).
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Mary Field's History of the English Language

Found on the British Council website. A 15-minute history of English. Lots of tidbits on etymology, including the ancient Greek origins of 'cinema'! I can't be the only one who'll enjoy this.
sally

Post by sally »

sounds wonderful! the name mary field seems to be cropping up a bit (to me anyway) lately, thanks for highlighting!
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

First Comes Courage - Dorothy Arzner

What exactly would you expect from an Arzner war movie?
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
sally

Post by sally »

oh, i'd missed that one, thanks lencho

but for now, combining DtC and 1943, i guess everyone has already seen lumière d'été. well i hadn't. and that was dumb, cuz this movie was made for me like nothing else in 43 (so far) i ♥ his silent movies, but aside from remorques hadn't had much luck with the sound ones, but he crams everything into this. (when he cut from her to a giant tussock of grass, i was howling, there is much that is not rote in this film)

no point posting screenshots because it would be almost the entire movie, and couldn't care less about the spring water children but there was a sweet hint of argol/acéphale/that rotten french decadence at the end of the 30's in the aristocratic scenes and oh god i love pierre brasseur

i wonder why:

(it's his voice. i'm currently typing as melted pool....slosh)
greennui

Post by greennui »

Melody of a Great City (Wolfgang Liebeneiner) - Really enjoyed this one for the most part. Spunky countryside girl moves to Berlin in order to make it as a photographer. It was the last film to feature real street scenes of Berlin before it was bombed to shreds. Kinda forgot a little about the setting until a five minute period in which pretty much every 'hello" and "bye" was substituted with 'heil hitler"...it was weird as it was never said again after this brief period, possibly a forced insert one could imagine.

According to the German wiki, Karl John, the actor playing the Dan Duryea-esque reporter, got into some serious trouble with Goebbels after the shooting of this film. He had been overheard at a restaurant cracking a derogatory joke about Hitler and after having been summoned by Goebbels, Liebeneiner had it arranged that the actor got into a fake car accident and sent to a sanatorium in order to avoid getting arrested by Gestapo. Another actor that was rumoured to have been at the same get together, Robert Dorsay, ended up getting arrested and executed for '"wehrkraftzersetzung".