Recommendations for a new member

Otello Cagliostro

Recommendations for a new member

Post by Otello Cagliostro »

Hi, im new i came from brother deacon on letterboxd and heard you guys had good recommendations...hope everybody is having a nice day
Last edited by Otello Cagliostro on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Gloede

Re: New member

Post by St. Gloede »

Welome, Otello!

What kind of recommendations are you looking for?
pabs

Post by pabs »

Benvenuto!
Otello Cagliostro

St. Gloede wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am Welome, Otello!

Hi! I'm trying to get back into Peplums i haven't watch any since being a kid but i remember the ones i saw so vividly.
wba

Post by wba »

Otello Cagliostro wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi! I'm trying to get back into Peplums i haven't watch any since being a kid but i remember the ones i saw so vividly.
There are many great ones, and I also need to see more, but so far I have found these to be masterpieces (usually, the great directors of the time also did the best pepla):

Le fatiche di Ercole (Pietro Francisci, 1958)
Cartagine in fiamme (Carmine Gallone, 1959)
Il colosso di Rodi (Sergio Leone, 1961)
Il gigante di Metropolis (Umberto Scarpelli, 1961)
Arrivano i titani (Duccio Tessari, 1962)
Zorro contro Maciste (Umberto Lenzi, 1963)
Ursus, il terrore dei kirghisi (Antonio Margheriti/Ruggero Deodato, 1964)

also, the pepla done by VITTORIO COTTAFAVI are generally great (as well as his non-peplum work).
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Otello Cagliostro

wba wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 pm
Otello Cagliostro wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm

There are many great ones, and I also need to see more, but so far I have found these to be masterpieces (usually, the great directors of the time also did the best pepla):

Le fatiche di Ercole (Pietro Francisci, 1958)
Cartagine in fiamme (Carmine Gallone, 1959)
Il colosso di Rodi (Sergio Leone, 1961)
Il gigante di Metropolis (Umberto Scarpelli, 1961)
Arrivano i titani (Duccio Tessari, 1962)
Zorro contro Maciste (Umberto Lenzi, 1963)
Ursus, il terrore dei kirghisi (Antonio Margheriti/Ruggero Deodato, 1964)

also, the pepla done by VITTORIO COTTAFAVI are generally great (as well as his non-peplum work).
Wow thanks it seems like a good start, i actually follow you on LBD didn't even know you were on here !
wba

Post by wba »

No problem, glad I could help!
I love pepla (one of my favorite genres), but haven't seen much in ages... need to change that.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Otello Cagliostro

My favorit as a kid was Mario Camerini Ulysses (1954) it's the best adaptation of the odyssey in my opinion.
wba

Post by wba »

Otello Cagliostro wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm My favorit as a kid was Mario Camerini Ulysses (1954) it's the best adaptation of the odyssey in my opinion.
Need to watch that one! It's with Kirk Douglas as Odysseus, n'est-ce pas?
Otello Cagliostro

wba wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:06 am
Otello Cagliostro wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm My favorit as a kid was Mario Camerini Ulysses (1954) it's the best adaptation of the odyssey in my opinion.
Exactly, and Silvana Mangano plays both Circée and Penelope that was a really good understanding of the book ! Certain scenes like the Cyclopes cave are really good.

and are you a fellow french speaker ?
wba

Post by wba »

Otello Cagliostro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:45 am
Exactly, and Silvana Mangano plays both Circée and Penelope that was a really good understanding of the book ! Certain scenes like the Cyclopes cave are really good.

I have wanted to see that one for ages! I should finally check it out in the next few years.
Unfortunately my french is severly limited. I didn't go beyond having had french classes at school for 5 years, which was a long time ago.
Last edited by wba on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flip

Post by flip »

Otello Cagliostro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:45 am and are you a fellow french speaker ?
welcome to scfz! i'm in montréal, so i speak french every day, but it's definitely my second language.
Otello Cagliostro

wba wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 am
Otello Cagliostro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:45 am

I have wanted to see that one for ages! I should finally check it out in the next few years.
Unfortunately my french is severly limited. I didn't go beyond having had french classes at school for 5 years, which was a long time ago.
You're french can't be as bad as my german, my 3/20 average in high school still hurt to this day
Otello Cagliostro

flip wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:19 pm
Otello Cagliostro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:45 am and are you a fellow french speaker ?
welcome to scfz! i'm in montréal, so i speak french every day, but it's definitely my second language.
Tabernacle, in France people are always saying that québécois hand over there pocket money with a smile.
rischka

Post by rischka »

bava & cottafavi. benvenuto
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Otello Cagliostro

rischka wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:21 pm bava & cottafavi. benvenuto
Didn't know Bava worked in the genre, thank you for the recommandation and for having me :)
Evelyn Library P.I.

Re: Recommendations for a new member

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Bava worked on several peplum, including as the camera operator for '54 Ulysses and as the cinematographer for 58's Hercules. He then directed a few: Erik the Conqueror (which is worth seeing), Knives of the Avenger (haven't seen), and Hercules in the Haunted World, which is absolutely splendid.

A while back, I found a list online of favourite peplums by a film blogger, and posted it to iCheckMovies, so you might find some good options there. I've been meaning to go on a peplum kick again soon!
Otello Cagliostro

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 am Bava worked on several peplum, including as the camera operator for '54 Ulysses and as the cinematographer for 58's Hercules. He then directed a few: Erik the Conqueror (which is worth seeing), Knives of the Avenger (haven't seen), and Hercules in the Haunted World, which is absolutely splendid.

A while back, I found a list online of favourite peplums by a film blogger, and posted it to iCheckMovies, so you might find some good options there. I've been meaning to go on a peplum kick again soon!
thanks ! I'm going to make a copy and mix it with WBA recommendations. I also heard Fabiola and Cabiria were amongst the greats
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Knives of the Avenger is worthwhile as well - saw it specifically due to my then overt interest in Bava though, hardly explored sword and sandals films (even had to look up what peplum referred to).
Otello Cagliostro

St. Gloede wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:33 am Knives of the Avenger is worthwhile as well - saw it specifically due to my then overt interest in Bava though, hardly explored sword and sandals films (even had to look up what peplum referred to).
thanks ! even if technically it's not peplum since it's not greco-roman
wba

Post by wba »

Otello Cagliostro wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:03 am
There's also a wonderful Robin Hood film by the great Giorgio Ferroni called L’arciere di fuoco (1971) with the great Giuliano Gemma in the lead - as far as non-pepla but similarly playful italian films from the 50s to 70s set in a somewhat mythical past are concerned.
Otello Cagliostro

wba wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:38 am
There's also a wonderful Robin Hood film by the great Giorgio Ferroni called L’arciere di fuoco (1971) with the great Giuliano Gemma in the lead - as far as non-pepla but similarly playful italian films from the 50s to 70s set in a somewhat mythical past are concerned.
I tried watching planet of the vampires from him but judt could not get threw it. I don't understand how it was Warhol favorit movie
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I loved that film as a teenager, not sure if it would hold up today, but it struck me as a far more atmospheric upgrade of Forbidden Planet. I still remember loving the design in the crashed spaceship, which undoubtedly influenced Alien.
wba

Post by wba »

Otello Cagliostro wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 am
I tried watching planet of the vampires from him but judt could not get threw it. I don't understand how it was Warhol favorit movie
Hm, Planet of the Vampires, haven't seen it myself, but it's not a film by Ferroni, I think. ;)
Otello Cagliostro

wba wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Otello Cagliostro wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 am
Hm, Planet of the Vampires, haven't seen it myself, but it's not a film by Ferroni, I think. ;)
sorry i though we were still talking about Bava :lol: