Help greennui start reading!

RenaultR

Re: Help greennui start reading!

Post by RenaultR »

greennui wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:10 pm

So, I'm looking for some recommendations of books that would be in line with my film taste and yet fairly easy to read. I've made the mistake of jumping straight into way too difficult works way too many times.
I have a similar issue. I'm not as productive in my reading habit as I'd like to be, because I constantly bite off more than I can chew, almost exclusively prioritising the most difficult works (i.e. trying to have Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses, and The Man Without Qualities going simultaneously with a few pages of Proust tossed in here or there, as well. For the record, it doesn't work. Saying that, I'm sure English majors have found a strategy for this sort of thing.)

It's partly for this reason I only managed to read Crime and Punishment in its entirety for the first time at age 30, despite my first attempt being at age 18. I still haven't entirely read Anna Karenina and/or The Brothers Karamazov. I've gotten through about 80% of the former and the first half of the latter and not due to lack of enjoyment but rather to intellectual exhaustion. I made it through The Red and the Black in French though about three or four years ago. I suppose there's an element of FOMO in all this. Finish this book at hand, but s**t what if I never manage to properly read that book over there at some point.