SCFZ poll: Nic Cage

MrCarmady

Re: SCFZ poll: Nic Cage

Post by MrCarmady »

ofrene wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:11 pm
MrCarmady wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm Closing Wednesday 11:59PM GMT.
Thanks! not change the vote though
any good at least?
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

MrCarmady wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:18 pm any good at least?
Well.. it's mixed bag. mixture of so many things with Sono's usual stuff but felt mixed opportunity. Only fun point to me was teasing Cage's balls
:lboxd:
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

ofrene wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:28 pm
MrCarmady wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:18 pm any good at least?
Well.. it's mixed bag. mixture of so many things with Sono's usual stuff but felt mixed opportunity. Only fun point to me was teasing Cage's balls
agreed. It's NOT a script by Sono but by a couple other L.A. folks. (one of the producers also made 'A Girl Walking Home Alone at Night' (2011) I'd counter (and other critics already have) that it follows the premise of 'Escape from NY' in that Cage plays a prisoner who committed a bank robbery. He's given a second chance by being released to find and bring home the governor's niece. (why is he the only soul who could pull this off? beats me) The crazy bit is when we get into the time period. This goes all over the board. Cage is literally 'forced' into performing in a more restrained manner so he hardly goes off here at all. The bizarre bit is that his fellow bank robber was played by Nick Cassavetes. All shot in Japan. Plenty of Japanese with subtitles so this isn't really a crossover film exactly either.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

In total, 23 people voted for 44 movies, and here's the top 20. I used the number of people who voted for a film as a tiebreaker.

1. Raising Arizona (Joel Coen, 1987) - 84 pts, 16 lists
2. Adaptation. (Spike Jonze, 2002) - 84 pts, 13 lists
3. Wild at Heart (David Lynch, 1990) - 82 pts, 16 lists
4. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (Werner Herzog, 2009) - 71 pts, 11 lists
5. Leaving Las Vegas (Mike Figgis, 1995) - 51 pts, 8 lists
6. Face/Off (John Woo, 1997) - 50 pts, 9 lists
7. Bringing Out the Dead (Martin Scorsese, 1999) - 48 pts, 11 lists
8. Snake Eyes (Brian De Palma, 1998) - 45 pts, 8 lists
9. Moonstruck (Norman Jewison, 1987) - 36 pts, 8 lists
10. Vampire's Kiss (Robert Bierman, 1988) - 27 pts, 4 lists
11. Con Air (Simon West, 1997) - 22 pts, 5 lists
12. Peggy Sue Got Married (Francis Ford Coppola, 1986) - 21 pts, 7 lists
13. Matchstick Men (Ridley Scott, 2003) - 15 pts, 4 lists
14. Joe (David Gordon Green, 2013) - 15 pts, 3 lists
15. Lord of War (Andrew Niccol, 2005) - 15 pts, 2 lists
16. 8MM (Joel Schumacher, 1999) - 14 pts, 2 lists
17. The Rock (Michael Bay, 1996) - 10 pts, 4 lists
=18. Valley Girl (Martha Coolidge, 1983) - 10 pts, 3 lists
=18. Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn, 2010) - 10 pts, 3 lists
20. Red Rock West (John Dahl, 1993) - 9 pts, 4 lists
Last edited by MrCarmady on Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Happy to do another one of these. rischka has proposed Keanu Reeves, I haven't seen many, what do people think?
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Are we sticking with modern cult actors? If expanding I'd suggest Jimmy Stewart, Babs Stanwyck, toshiro mifune, Catherine Deneuve, or Jean Louis trintignant
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy

Post by ... »

I like the idea of polling on actors that aren't just gonna duplicate the usual "auteur" lists of famous directors and who provide reason to watch movies for their presence. If you want to call them "cult" actors, that's fine, but give me something different than the same old same old. Do SRK or Andy Lau or Boris Karloff or Helen Mirren or Pam Grier or Brigitte Bardot or any interesting actor who people might see or enjoy just for them in movies that otherwise won't get polled as much.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Yeah, a Mifune poll for an example would just end up being another Kurosawa poll. Left field choices with colorful filmographies could be fun, though the odd Trintignant could be nice too. Mix it up! Reeves seems a little samey as Cage to me, perhaps later on?
rischka

Post by rischka »

i was joking about keanu, no worries :P srk or andy lau would be fantastic
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

googled "cult actresses" to try to find some cult actresses, and.... you guys heard of this nxivm shit?!?!??! wtf
rischka

Post by rischka »

yes very weird. he's serving 120 years in prison but the cult continues
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

SAD_SCROOGE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm googled "cult actresses" to try to find some cult actresses, and.... you guys heard of this nxivm shit?!?!??! wtf
u heard of 2018 before lol

i don't know why people find this nxivm stuff so interesting though.... it just seems like a cult? i guess it's interesting that the smallville actresses were involved in it? i used to watch that...
flip

Post by flip »

audie murphy and audrey totter

and i'd personally break ties by ranking higher the films on fewer ballots, because that means the people who saw those films really liked them. the films on the most ballots are often just the ones everyone has seen. but that's just how i think about it, don't want to tell anyone else how to run their polls!
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

flip wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:51 am audie murphy and audrey totter

and i'd personally break ties by ranking higher the films on fewer ballots, because that means the people who saw those films really liked them. the films on the most ballots are often just the ones everyone has seen. but that's just how i think about it, don't want to tell anyone else how to run their polls!
you've got a point, certainly, but it's not like adaptation is somehow more obscure or less popular than raising arizona, i thought this was just a nice way to balance out the disparity between a film being top and bottom of someone's list which in the case of my list at least, isn't worth the 10x point difference. bure, feel free to pretend like we as a community like adaptation best since that seemed like what you were clamouring for :cowboy:
i am compiling the suggestions and will randomly pull one out of a hat in a couple of days' time (double-weighting the ones that more than one person has proposed), so keep them coming!

oh, and here's the LBD list:
https://letterboxd.com/mrcarmady/list/s ... -nic-cage/
flip

Post by flip »

MrCarmady wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 am feel free to pretend like we as a community like adaptation best since that seemed like what you were clamouring for :cowboy:
nah, i'd rather raising arizona wins, that seems more in keeping with scfz. i've just run about 300 polls here so i've thought about these types of things a lot
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Claude Rains and Maria Ouspenskaya
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

flip wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:01 am
MrCarmady wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 am feel free to pretend like we as a community like adaptation best since that seemed like what you were clamouring for :cowboy:
nah, i'd rather raising arizona wins, that seems more in keeping with scfz. i've just run about 300 polls here so i've thought about these types of things a lot
i was referencing this, which my TB rules denied
SAD_SCROOGE wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:41 am Looks like adaptation won't win. That's insane. You are all insane
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Holymanm wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:01 am
SAD_SCROOGE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm googled "cult actresses" to try to find some cult actresses, and.... you guys heard of this nxivm shit?!?!??! wtf
u heard of 2018 before lol

i don't know why people find this nxivm stuff so interesting though.... it just seems like a cult? i guess it's interesting that the smallville actresses were involved in it? i used to watch that...
hm, so been reading up on this nxivm. pretty interesting, in december i was actually seeing this girl, who seemed pretty cool

she's an architect but she's studying to be a therapist or something (that's how i interpreted it, now that i look back i think she mighta said "life coach"), i'm like, ok that's pretty cool. first date, she talks quite a bit about her studies. weird, but whatever

second date, she goes on about what a genius her mentor is, and is telling me about the training, in which she and her cohort practice, like, digging into each other to find the most traumatic experiences in their lives. i actually think that's super important, but do wonder why beginners are doing this with each other? whatever she's hot idc

third date gets a bit weird. we're talking about our fucked up childhoods and intergenerational trauma and how fucked up our moms are. we're bonding! then she asks about my mom's health, and i mention she's had a heart attack. girl is like, "that's not that bad, presumably her childhood wasn't all that bad." i'm like, "what?" she's like, "for instance my mom has cancer in both her lungs, the result of an extremely traumatic childhood." i'm like, "what?" she's like, "yeah, a lot of people don't know this, but all illnesses are caused by repressed childhood traumas."

she literally believes that

i've met dumbasses who think depression & adhd & ocd are caused by childhood traumas (not 100% stupid, as that has an influence)... but...

ALL illnesses?

ALL illnesses

cancer, diabetes, aids, ALL ILLNESSES ARE CAUSED BY REPRESSED CHILDHOOD TRAUMAS!

so i inquire more into her "therapy training"... turns out her course, a SINGLE COURSE, is costing her $10,000. and after she finishes it, she "gets to go onto level 2"

wtf????

anyway, there was no fourth date

wondering now if this was some nxivm ish... 0______o