SCFZ poll: Quentin Tarantino

Re: SCFZ poll: Quentin Tarantino

Post by ... »

Kill Bill I & II were just playing on TV the other day so I caught parts of both after not having seen a Tarantino film for a while. Man, he is such a fetishist. Not just the foot thing, which has become a meme for the guy, but scene after scene is centered around some fetishistic token, whether a look or actions matched to music/sound. Hitchcock had some of that too, but Tarantino pushes it further for being so recursive in his making movies about movies for people who've seen lots of movies. It's like the epitome of how mass media has developed since the end of the last century, and Tarantino was an influential part of that.
wba

Post by wba »

flip wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:42 pm
wba wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:24 pm sorry flip, I didn't want to sound like an ass or lecture you (or anyone here) - I have a vague feeling that my 2 posts could be perceived that way after reading them here in context once more...
i didn't read them that way at all, no reason to apologize!

i think it's really hard to convey tone in internet posts (i know i have trouble with it, people often think i'm being rude when i have no desire to ever be), so i always assume people are posting in good faith unless they're being outright insulting (which no one at scfz ever is, at least these days!)
thank god, yeah, same here. Always assuming good faith and it has been a good approach for my last 20+ internet years. :drinking:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Joks Trois

Post by Joks Trois »

greg x wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 ambut Tarantino pushes it further for being so recursive in his making movies about movies for people who've seen lots of movies. It's like the epitome of how mass media has developed since the end of the last century, and Tarantino was an influential part of that.
Chicken or egg? No doubt he played a big role, and I'd say that, regardless of his talents, his influence was for the worse.

What bothers me is the tendency to think his films are actually meaningful and substantive, especially his recent work. QT is an empty vessel, a pure product of American media culture. I don't think I've ever heard him say anything really insightful, not even about cinema. He just talks about dialogue and scenes and finds a semi-engaging way to recycle the thoughts of others.
flip

Post by flip »