Letterboxd

sally

Re: Letterboxd

Post by sally »

nrh wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:29 pm
twodeadmagpies wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm which of course i've seen, as the newly reappeared letterboxd tells me (12! not 9!), but it was before i joined mubi so it was a.....while ago....all i remember about bye bye monkey is going ooh aah at cute said monkey. no one tries to interfere with it do they?
it is less sensitive and romantic than the gold standard of monkey as family interloper films max mon amour (i guess bye bye monkey is more child surrogate but it's all kind of weird) with
Spoiler!
particularly grisly fate for monkey baby
oh god i've totally mixed those two movies up in my head. we're getting into my ancient vhs territory that's all stored in the attic. pretty glad chimp relations never really became a thing in movies.
nrh

Post by nrh »

the only other human chimp relation film i can think of is the michel gondry charlie kaufman thing human nature, where a woman who grows body hair falls in love with man from the jungle who was raised by monkeys. its is, if i remember correctly, so absolutely dreadful that almost everybody seems to have forgotten it exists (how ever else would someone have allowed kaufman to publish a 720 page book this year?)
flip

Post by flip »

nrh wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:43 pm the only other human chimp relation film i can think of
you may be forgetting about mvp: most valuable primate?
nrh

Post by nrh »

flip wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:23 pm
nrh wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:43 pm the only other human chimp relation film i can think of
you may be forgetting about mvp: most valuable primate?
the 90s to early 2000s family ape/chimp movie boom is a totally different genre. dunstan checks in, the remake of mighty joe young, once my little brother demanded we rent monkey trouble (1994, thora birch and harvey keitel?) and then dropped the harsh vhs box on his foot, his big toe wasn't broken but something awful happened to the nail on his big toe and it turned awfully black and had to be removed, i think he was like 4 or something.
sally

Post by sally »

to lose the noble beauty of an innocent human toe to a monkey movie. sorry for your brother but that's hysterical.

somewhere, in some film department there is an earnest thesis on all the different chimp genres. let's not forget the early ones like those made by alfred machin

david cairns was getting excited only 3 days ago

https://dcairns.wordpress.com/2020/08/1 ... behaviour/
flip

Post by flip »

i just looked up the most valuable primate director, robert vince, he has made 22 films and with no exceptions they are all about monkeys playing ice hockey or dogs preventing nuclear disasters (ok i maybe made that up but there are dogs going to outer space and skateboarding monkeys). so he has titles like spymate (about a super-spy primate) and the search for santa paws (magic dogs go off to save santa who has amnesia). then there's monkey up, plot from imdb:

With their parents preoccupied with their new careers, a young girl and her brother befriend a talking monkey who is struggling to be taken seriously as an actor.

sick brag but i used to be acquaintances with someone who co-wrote one of his screenplays, which is why i ended up down an imdb credits rabbithole for a couple of minutes.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

nrh wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:49 pm
greennui wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm that beard.
came here to say the same thing, not posting images out of respect for the sensibilities of others
I took a look to see what the fuss was about. Surely you are all exaggerating; I have seen much worse beards.
sally

Post by sally »

This thread

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
nrh

Post by nrh »

the toenail grew back and he deserved it for demanding we rent monkey trouble, he was four, what did he know about movies?

those direct to video animal comedies were all over video stores in the video store era and seem to have only grown crazily in the streaming era, this wikipeida breakdown of the air bud series is pretty impressive - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Bud_( ... Paws_films
greennui

Post by greennui »

flip wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pm i just looked up the most valuable primate director, robert vince, he has made 22 films and with no exceptions they are all about monkeys playing ice hockey or dogs preventing nuclear disasters (ok i maybe made that up but there are dogs going to outer space and skateboarding monkeys). so he has titles like spymate (about a super-spy primate) and the search for santa paws (magic dogs go off to save santa who has amnesia). then there's monkey up, plot from imdb:

With their parents preoccupied with their new careers, a young girl and her brother befriend a talking monkey who is struggling to be taken seriously as an actor.

sick brag but i used to be acquaintances with someone who co-wrote one of his screenplays, which is why i ended up down an imdb credits rabbithole for a couple of minutes.
I believe Frederick Wiseman directed the behind the scenes documentary on the MVP franchise.

Silga

Post by Silga »

Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

I saw Max Mon Amour in theatre, met US Representative Raul Grijalva in the lobby afterwards.

Also, this, although it's human/gorilla and not human/chimp:

img.goldposter.com/2015/11/Le-tout-nouveau-testament_poster_goldposter_com_2.jpg
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

is this that car guy
:lboxd:
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

It sounds like a lot of folks depend on Letterboxd to keep track of everything they've watched. I've said this before, but how will you feel if the site ever goes down or loses that data? One of the best decisions I made at age 21 was to start a spreadsheet with every movie I watch, including the date, place, number of times seen, and rating. I can't begin to tell you how good it is to have this after many years and thousands of movies.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:36 pm somewhere, in some film department there is an earnest thesis on all the different chimp genres
earnest goes to chimp?
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Umbugbene wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:29 am It sounds like a lot of folks depend on Letterboxd to keep track of everything they've watched. I've said this before, but how will you feel if the site ever goes down or loses that data? One of the best decisions I made at age 21 was to start a spreadsheet with every movie I watch, including the date, place, number of times seen, and rating. I can't begin to tell you how good it is to have this after many years and thousands of movies.
https://scfzforum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=462 :drinking:

Post by ... »

Oh, man, we really need to do a monkey poll. So many juicy choices. Going Ape! with Tony Danza will always have a special place in my heart.

(Yes, I know those are actually ourangutans, not monkeys. but I want to be inclusive about this. Oh, and I actually kinda liked Human Nature, so there.)
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Umbugbene wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:29 amage 21 was to start a spreadsheet
odd, i started at age 21 as well. holymanm and flabrezu started even younger tho
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
greennui

Post by greennui »

Umbugbene wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:29 am It sounds like a lot of folks depend on Letterboxd to keep track of everything they've watched. I've said this before, but how will you feel if the site ever goes down or loses that data? One of the best decisions I made at age 21 was to start a spreadsheet with every movie I watch, including the date, place, number of times seen, and rating. I can't begin to tell you how good it is to have this after many years and thousands of movies.
I've got icheckmovies as backup if that day ever comes and if that site goes down as well then...well, if a new site like that doesn't crop it's not the end of the world, stuff like date, place, number of times seen, and rating has never been that important for me.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

Started my spreadsheet back in 2011 on Google Sheets, best decision ever. Allows for quick and easy reordering of every film ever seen, ratings, etc. I document (for each column):

Film Name > Year > Director > Rating > Country > Language > Feature or Short > Black and White or Color > Genre > Season > Keywords / Tags > Theatrical or Non-Theatrical > Date Watched (a new column added for each year of viewing)

Really comes in handy.

edit: I also keep a backup xlsx file for my hd
:lboxd:
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

liquidnature wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:10 am Started my spreadsheet back in 2011 on Google Sheets, best decision ever. Allows for quick and easy reordering of every film ever seen, ratings, etc. I document (for each column):

Film Name > Year > Director > Rating > Country > Language > Feature or Short > Black and White or Color > Genre > Season > Keywords / Tags > Theatrical or Non-Theatrical > Date Watched (a new column added for each year of viewing)

Really comes in handy.

edit: I also keep a backup xlsx file for my hd
That's the spirit! :cowboy:

My format is:

# > Title > Date watched > Director > Runtime > Year > Country > Place seen > Alt title(s) > Number of times seen > Time begun (first viewing) > Details of subsequent viewings > Rating > Medium or channel

I also color-code the rows I rated 9 or 10. The spreadsheet has a second page where I rank my favorites (9/10 +) and a third page (much shorter) where I try to rank the best films putting aside my personal affinities.
harry

Post by harry »

I've been doing the spreadsheet thing since 2017! I use one sheet for my log and one for my watchlist. I do:

title, director, the number of movies by that director I have seen (log) or want to see (watchlist), year, runtime, country, on what website or service I can watch it (if applicable), and a rating out of 5 (for the log only, of course).

Since I've had a Letterboxd I've also included number of views and average rating on that site, so I can know at a glance how popular or well-regarded something is -- for several obvious reasons there might a better way to accomplish that, but I think it's a decent heuristic, and I feel locked into it now anyway. I've experimented with different ways to use some kind of "tag" system but haven't found one I like.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

I had a list I kept as a child, but unfortunately (to out my youth) iCheckMovies started up in my early teens and I found I lost the motivation to do the extra work of keeping up the list. Starting to regret that, as (a) I sometimes disagree with some of the database entry info on ICM and LBD, and (b) I'm beholden to these entities outside myself for my viewing info. Recently started my own Google Doc of ranked recommendations by year, which I'm having a lot of fun formatting and adding to. Finding it very motivating for watching/rewatching movies from a given year to fill in favs, and it's a fun game to see, whenever I watch a movie, if I'll add it to my Google Doc or not.

Here's a sample of what my formatting looks like, the first ten entries for the year 1956:
1. The Searchers (John Ford, C.V. Whitney–Warner Bros.) [Western]
2. Toute la memoire du monde (Alain Resnais, Les Films de la Pléiade) [France]
3. Seven Men from Now (Budd Boetticher, Batjac–Warner Bros.) [Western]
4. A Kiss Before Dying (Gerd Oswald, Crown–United Artists) [Film Noir]
5. There’s Always Tomorrow (Douglas Sirk, Universal)
6. Gunslinger (Roger Corman, Roger Corman–AIP) [Western]
7. Design for Dreaming (William Beaudine, MPO–Coronet Instructional Media) [Musical] [Fifties Sci-Fi/Horror]
8. It Conquered the World (Roger Corman, Sunset–AIP) [Fifties Sci-Fi/Horror]
9. Karnavalnaya noch / Carnival Night (Eldar Ryazanov, Mosfilm) [USSR]
10. Swamp Women (Roger Corman, Woolner Brothers) [Women-in-Prison]
Silga

Post by Silga »

My primary information for the films I've seen is IMDb with Letterboxd as a backup.

IMDb currently has a great advanced search options so it is very easy to find films I've seen based on a year, genre, etc.

I also have a log on Notepad every month that I use to post in our What I Watched This Month thread.
rischka

Post by rischka »

ehh like greennui i'm not terribly concerned about it. kinda look forward to forgetting all my favorites so i can watch them again for the first time!

i am doing more rewatching the last couple of years and it's really relevatory. you never see the same film twice
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
greennui

Post by greennui »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 am iCheckMovies started up in my early teens
Didn't have you pegged as a zoomer!
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Oh, I'm definitely not a zoomer, I'm a millennial. Early '90s. Hmmm. Okay, ICM says it began in 2009 according to what I'm seeing? That's my mid- to late- teens then. Could have sworn it started earlier.

Dates of birth aside, I also struggle mightily to ever not capitalize the first letters of sentences and punctuate the end of them, so that no doubt disqualifies me from any tenable contention of zoomerity.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

in some respects zoomerism is a mentality and in that sense it applies even to geezers like myself and thoxans :D
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
greennui

Post by greennui »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 pm Dates of birth aside, I also struggle mightily to ever not capitalize the first letters of sentences and punctuate the end of them, so that no doubt disqualifies me from any tenable contention of zoomerity.
rischka confirmed zoomer.
rischka

Post by rischka »

lol no
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions