Unknown Filmmakers

wba

Unknown Filmmakers

Post by wba »

this list is about filmmakers who interest me, but by whom I haven't seen a single film, yet.

sorted by country

suggestions are welcome!

work in progress

Argentina

Armando Bó
Leopoldo Torre Nilsson

Armenia

Don Askarian

Belgium

Harry Kümel

Brazil

Alberto Cavalcanti
Rogério Sganzerla

Canada

Norman McLaren

Czech Republic

Evald Schorm
Gustav Machaty
Oldřich Lipský

Finland

Mika Kaurismäki
Teuvo Tulio

France

Abel Gance
Alain Robbe-Grillet
Albert Lamorisse
Alice Guy-Blaché
Jacques Rozier
Marguerite Duras
Max Pécas
Mia Hansen-Løve
Patrick Bokanowski
Paul Vecchiali
Pierre Etaix

Germany

Fred Kelemen
Klaus Wyborny

Greece

Nikos Papatakis

Hong Kong

Allen Fong
Mabel Cheung
Patrick Tam
Stanley Kwan

India

Adoor Gopalakrishnan
Govindan Aravindan
Mani Kaul

Iran

Amir Naderi
Bahram Beizai
Parviz Kimiavi

Italy

Alessandro Blasetti
Bruno Bozzetto
Elio Petri
Lamberto Bava
Liliana Cavani
Lina Wertmüller
Luigi Bazzoni
Mario Camerini
Paolo Cavara
Piero Marelli
Pupi Avati
Vittorio de Seta

Japan

Hiroshi Shimizu

Macau

Clara Law

Mexico

Roberto Gavaldón

Poland

Andrzej Munk
Kazimierz Kutz

Portugal

João César Monteiro
Pedro Costa

Russia

Sergei Solovyov

South Korea

Kwon-taek Im

Tunisia

Marcel Hanoun

United Kingdom

Anthony Asquith
Maurice Elvey

USA

Ida Lupino
John Cassavetes
Jon Jost
Kenneth Anger
Mitchell Leisen
Robert Parrish

Ukraine

Konstantin Lopushansky

Uzbekistan

Ali Hamroyev
Last edited by wba on Tue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
MrCarmady

Re: Unknown Filmmakers

Post by MrCarmady »

I've got Daughters of Darkness and Sensuela downloaded so if you watch one, I'll join you in due course.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
wba

Post by wba »

Thanks for your generous offer, but I don't plan to watch any of them soon.

The list is just a reminder for myself.

I also don't really have the time and opportunity to watch films I'm interested in since a couple of years already, and I don't think this will change in the near future.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Haha, it's not particularly generous, just think it's fun to watch movies roughly at the same time as someone and discuss them - I miss that about the cinema experience. Sorry to hear that you don't have time for movies these days.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
wba

Post by wba »

Yeah, I know that many enjoy such undertakings. I for myself like to watch films more on my own and am not too keen on discussions per se.
Also never was a huge fan of the cinema experience (and never liked socializing with people (who weren't friends) there). The only reason I love to go to cinemas, is to see films in their original formats, e.g. on 35mm, 8mm, 16mm, 70mm, etc. cause I don't have that possibility at home. If it weren't for that (and hanging out with firends or loved ones), I probably wouldn't actually like to go to the cinema.

But it's really bad, that I don't have time for movies (or rather movies of my choosing) these days. I have a young kid and partner living with myself, and when I'm not at work (roughly 10 to 11 hours every day - including the journey to and fro) I have so much else to do, and when I watch something I cannot simply put on a film I like and concentrate on it the way I like, but have to watch stuff both can agree on (which has certainly little to do with my preferences, and none whatsoever with mine at any given moment, which is in my opinion the basis of a healthy cinephilia: choosing at any given moment the right film one wants to watch at that moment). SO I'm currently on hold with any cinephile activities except reading books on films and film history and stuff. This will probably continue for a few years, but I'm looking forward to the day the kid(s) are older and my partner works more and I less.