The Zeki

M Penalosa

The Zeki

Post by M Penalosa »

The Zeki dropped out of high school, and started working in a textile workshop. Then, he worked as a street vendor for some time. After the 1980 coup d'état, he was imprisoned without trial for three years at the age of 17 for alleged communist activities. At the time, he was studying Communications Engineering at Istanbul University. Following his graduation, he became involved with movie making. After working as an assistant director, he established his own production company, called "Mavi Film".
pabs

Re: The Zeki

Post by pabs »

What a story! Love it! I keep almost watching Nausea but then I don't. I'll do it before year's end. I saw Destiny years ago and loved it.
wba2

Post by wba2 »

Need to watch another Zeki in 2019. Last one I saw is still stuck in my head, and Zeki himself is a wonderful guy to talk to. Hope to do this again sometime in the future as well.
To please the majority is the requirement of the Planet Cinema. As far as I'm concerned, I don't make a concession to viewers, these victims of life, who think that a film is made only for their enjoyment, and who know nothing about their own existence.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

I've seen The Confession, which I liked, and Envy, on which I was lukewarm. What would you recommend, Jerry?
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i know i'm not papa jerry, but i'd rec innocence. it's the beginning of the zeki. he made one feature prior (c blok), which is quite different than anything else in his filmog. more than it being a 'debut' of his aesthetic tho, innocence is really just a great pic. zeki's static shots. the colors against the drabness. the melodrama. an extended sequence that includes a dude talking about life and love while smoking a cigarette that sounds like the simplest thing in the world but it will stick with you when it happens. that's innocence. really. good good stuff
Zulawski

Post by Zulawski »

Does anyone know if the zeki is working on a new film?